Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-28-16, 11:20 AM   #26

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'd argue Step 1 is exercise/move more.

There is at least some debate if cutting carbs is really needed to lose weight. And certainly one should not "cut them out" all together.
Obviously, we've gone round and round on this and will continue to do so. And you won't find a bigger advocate for regular exercise, anywhere, than me. But I firmly believe that the most effective way to lose weight healthily is to first, change your diet so that you are consuming fewer calories, and by shifting caloric intake from carbs to protein and fresh fruit. Then, once you've gotten used to the idea and feeling of eating a bit less, then you ramp up the exercise.

In my experience, people who start out by increasing their exercise end up eating more as a result. Sure, they improve their general health, but they don't lose much (if any) weight.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 12-28-16, 11:24 AM   #27
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

I'm in, in spirit...
Old 12-28-16, 11:39 AM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Obviously, we've gone round and round on this and will continue to do so. And you won't find a bigger advocate for regular exercise, anywhere, than me. But I firmly believe that the most effective way to lose weight healthily is to first, change your diet so that you are consuming fewer calories, and by shifting caloric intake from carbs to protein and fresh fruit. Then, once you've gotten used to the idea and feeling of eating a bit less, then you ramp up the exercise.

In my experience, people who start out by increasing their exercise end up eating more as a result. Sure, they improve their general health, but they don't lose much (if any) weight.
I 100% agree with this. We live in a society that has normalized a 1,000, even 1,200 calorie lunch! Not to mention splitting a Blooming Onion, having a salad w/a half cup of cream dressing on it, a 12oz steak, baked potato w/butter, sour cream, and cheese, plus half a loaf of bread for dinner.

I 100% agree a mental shift is needed.

In the 2016 thread someone asked about having a cheat day so they could eat pizza. When did Dominos become a treat? (and I'm not picking on that person at all).

Yes we should be able to enjoy our food (I don't eat tofu). But for me (and this has taken a while) a "cheat" is a perfectly cooked 6-8oz steak with fresh grilled veggies. Or cooking my own cedar plank salmon and fresh herb roasted potatoes w/a little olive oil.

And as you see by those example I agree that protien, veggies and fruits should be the focus.

I'm just not into more rules. You and I both know a carb is not a carb. Also cutting carbs to drastically can cause sluggishness and being tired. Hardly conducive to exercise or motivation.

The only issue I have with "moving more" is a couch potato can get in better heath by exercise and never losing a pound. Of course ideally one would do both.

But I'm agreeing 100% with your statement I quoted. And if you meant "cut carbs" you meant stop eating 3 donuts for breakfast, and instead have a slice of whole grain bread, with a slice of lean ham and 2 scrambled eggs on it (one of my breakfast standards) I certainly agree with that.
Old 12-28-16, 11:56 AM   #29
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Last year I tried a different approach to food, and it worked - while I stuck with it. I lost almost 40 lbs in about 2 months. I could have kept going, but I used work stress and my schedule as an excuse to go back to my bad eating habits. I intend to stick with it this time.

Go to this site and read all of the articles/blog entries by Ray Cronise: http://hypothermics.com/home/ (the site requires that you sign up, but there is no fee - it's just to keep spammers out). It's some work getting through all of the articles, but it's worth it.

Basically, the approach to food advocated Ray Cronise and Dr. Joel Fuhrman is: avoid (but you don't have to completely eliminate) oils, refined sugars, complex carbs (brown rice and potatoes are ok), and salt. East as much green leafy vegetables, and other veggies, as you like. East as much fruit as you like. Add some legumes and seeds/nuts and you're good to go. Avoid meat and dairy for the first 6 weeks, but work it back in on a limited basis once you lose weight (just make sure you don't start to gain again).

Ray Cronise suggests that you can allow yourself a day of "rare and appropriate" eating - have a steak and cake on your birthday. Have turkey and stuffing and pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hell, eat whatever you want for one meal once every two weeks or so, if you want (many who follow his diet say they don't really want to that often).

One key is to weight yourself every day. You won't lose weight every day, and may eve go up a bit on any particular day, but you need to keep track of the general trend. When I did this I found that I once the weight loss kicked in, I was losing about 1 lb per day.

Ray Cronise argues that strenuous exercise during the initial weight loss phase is counter-productive (he gives a very detailed explanation in the blog entries "Muscling Your Metabolism" Parts 1 through 3). There are varying views on that.
Old 12-28-16, 12:15 PM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started 2016 in the best shape of my adult life. Took an at home job, had some personal issues I was dealing with for almost all of 2016, and then quit smoking in early October and the floodgates opened. Personal issue is over and I'm starting to go days without any cravings for cigarettes so I'm all about it in 2017. I'm probably 225ish with some muscle, want to get back to 195-200 with a good amount of muscle where I was in January/February of this year. Will bite the bullet, check my weight the next time I go to the gym, and post it here as a starting point for the year.

Don't know forum rules on wagers but would be down to do something either with the entire group or just with you Dave.

For Dave - Was thinking next time youre in the Seattle area or I'm in eastern Washington (which will probably never happen) loser pays for smoke and food? Most weight loss or % of body weight loss, something like that.

For everyone - would be down to do whatever pool wise if thats allowed.
Old 12-28-16, 12:31 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Back in 2015, I had a "scare" that sent me to the hospital for three days. It wasn't a heart attack. Doctors couldn't figure out what it was exactly but it was something that concerned them. I had high blood pressure, a fast heartbeat and was 268 pounds. During 2016, they wanted me to get more exercise and eat better. For the first half of '16, while working on a project in Florida, I didn't listen. I ate less (and by less, I mean I only ate one Whopper at a time) but didn't get any exercise. And any exercise I did get, it was limited. I seriously couldn't walk up to the second floor of our house without panting.

After the project was done, my company sent me to Dubai off and on since August. With nothing to do out there, I started hitting the gym and really curbed my diet. From September to October, I dropped 12 pounds. During November, I lost another 4. Soda is my worst enemy. I drink it like water. Since dropping down to one can a day, my soda gut has slowly vanished. I've went down 3 belt holes and can now wear pants I haven't been able to since 2014. Plus, XL shirts don't make me look like a stuffed sausage.

I returned to the States a couple of weeks ago and stopped going to the gym and started eating/drinking like shit again. I've gained 4-5 pounds and can feel myself getting blubbery. Starting this week, I'm getting back on the soda wagon and will start hitting the gym January 1.

I'd like drop 40 pounds this year. Then see where I go from there.

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."
Old 12-28-16, 12:57 PM   #32
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
For Dave - Was thinking next time youre in the Seattle area or I'm in eastern Washington (which will probably never happen) loser pays for smoke and food? Most weight loss or % of body weight loss, something like that.
I'm good with that. But I'm also good with a meal and smoke anytime. But it will taste better and be more dank (according to the hip kids) if it is your weed I smoke.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-28-16, 02:24 PM   #33
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't weighted myself in so many months... I actually been afraid of replacing the batteries

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 12-28-16, 03:00 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Do you guys watch heart rates during cardio? I'm 33 and understand the best # to be at for burning fat (around 130-150 BPM).

At my absolute best (worst?) I get up to 173 on the treadmill (by turning it up to 15% incline). And I feel like I'm going to blow something out if I did it too long. Can you healthy guys get up higher than that?

Is it dangerous (or even helpful) to go up that high for a couple minutes at a time? Sometimes I think it's fun. And sometimes it feels miserable, but I feel like it's something I "should" be doing. I usually do it because I get bored after awhile at fast-walking pace (I do around 2.5 MPH @ 4% most of the time ... 60 minutes usually). I prefer the incline over "jogging". Nobody wants to see me jog.

I do it at a gym. I know I can pay a trainer. But money disappears so fast when you're spending $70 per session.

And a note for Dave - I'd recommend just going and walking on the treadmill. Keep it easy. To me, all of that extra stuff is what you want to do if you want a solid body. It's easy to get sick of doing all of that stuff. I watch trainers doing 'introductions' all the time, with exercises that look painful, and then you never see the person again. My thing is that I go almost everyday, mostly use the treadmill or eliptical, and then the TRX a little bit. And I kind of want to start using the weight machines a little.

Also, I look forward to getting stoned when I exercise (after my MJ card gets here). I heard it feels good.

I was drinking 90% whey and meal shakes last year. But I had to stop. I was having a problem with water retention through my torso, up to my neck. I stopped doing 3-5 shakes a day, and it fixed the problem. Sucks, because I really liked doing it that way. And I was dropping a lot of weight at the time.

Right Now: Approx 350. I've always been stronger than the average guy. So I never thought I look too bad. But I still want to get down to a healthier 250-or-so (maybe even lower). This is week 8 of going to the gym. Because of "water weight", I won't feel like I'm losing weight till I get down to 330-or-so.

After doing the gym thing for awhile, I figure I'll probably be doing this for the rest of my life.
Old 12-28-16, 03:10 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Me, I just need to get over my injuries and start exercising again.

Everyone's different, and the way I'm wired, I actually eat more when I'm not exercising regularly and I eat less when I do. Dunno why, but it's a double whammy either way.

Maybe that's why I gain and lose relatively quickly. But I'm just afraid that at my old age (44), I'll just get more and more injuries, and won't be able to exercise like I'll need.
Old 12-28-16, 05:04 PM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I'm good with that. But I'm also good with a meal and smoke anytime. But it will taste better and be more dank (according to the hip kids) if it is your weed I smoke.
Awesome. Please hit me up next time youre in the area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Do you guys watch heart rates during cardio? I'm 33 and understand the best # to be at for burning fat (around 130-150 BPM).
Would love an answer to this from people as I keep track of bpm while doing cardio but havent ever looked up what is ideal/max before today.

Found this which is a chart that shows your regular and maximum heart beat while doing cardio based on your age. Given my age, 37, I should cap out at 164 if I don't want to exceed 90% my maximum heart rate. Normally I start slowing down once I hit 160-170 and never let it go over 170. Should I drop that down by 10 and try and keep it 150-160 and never go over 160?
Old 12-28-16, 05:19 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Would love an answer to this from people as I keep track of bpm while doing cardio but havent ever looked up what is ideal/max before today.

Found this which is a chart that shows your regular and maximum heart beat while doing cardio based on your age. Given my age, 37, I should cap out at 164 if I don't want to exceed 90% my maximum heart rate. Normally I start slowing down once I hit 160-170 and never let it go over 170. Should I drop that down by 10 and try and keep it 150-160 and never go over 160?
I just spoke to my Dr about this during my last physical.

I had mentioned that during my last long run (before the physical) my watch registered an average HR of 154 which I thought was high given my age, fitness level (it was a 9.33 mile run at a steady, moderate pace for me) and the formula you mention. She mentioned a lot of things (which had to do more with overall health than idea for losing weight/fat)

- like blood pressure, one measurement can be somewhat meaningless.
- wrist HR monitors are not "her favorite" and recommends a chest strap (I have one) used several times.
- she noted that based on my overall fitness level, she would like to see how quickly my HR drops post workout (which is something they do when you go in for a stress test). And I've had a stress test.
- she told me rather than worry about a number, to focus on how I feel during and post workout. Especially if I note sudden changes (such as HR quickly going up or dropping).
- she said tingling in the hands can be a warning sign
- and post run if my HR drop seems normal but then with no further activitity it picks up again quickly, that is a warning sign.
- she mentioned everyone is different and that formula (220-age=max HR) is just a guide and not absolute.
Old 12-28-16, 05:21 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to lose 10-15 pounds. My wife would like to lose 15 or so. The problems I/we have are a) a 6 year old kiddo that has very different dietary desires/needs, b) my wife who never had to exercise or diet to stay slim, until she had a kid at 40, and doesn't have a clue where to begin.

I can self regulate if I really want to, but it's hard when I'm supposed to eat dinner with the family and that dinner is not a good choice. And my wife has little commitment to the process. I once suggested she use an app to track her food intake for a while, so she could modify her choices as needed, and she scoffed, saying that she would never have the time or commitment to do that. So I don't really know how to proceed.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 12-28-16, 06:44 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

I don't exercise. I'll just say that right out. But I've lost 65 pounds over the last year, and not by following any particular "diet" (although I do try to limit starches and sweets other than natural ones like fruit). My tools are (1) don't eat between meals unless it's something like a piece of fruit or a 40-calorie popsicle; (2) be mindful of WHY you're eating--ask yourself, am I really hungry or am I just eating this because it's there, or because I'm bored, or because I'm wanting something else and stuffing food in instead of giving it some thought; and (3) only eat until you're full. For someone like me, who was used to shoveling food in without thinking and then being miserably overstuffed, it took me a while to learn what it feels like to be full, satisfied, and not need to eat more.

Only Otters of a "certain age" will identify with this, but my doctor did tell me that bottle-fed babies (born from the 1940s-1960s before breast feeding came back into vogue) tend to have more problems with their weight as adults because when a mother breast feeds, she lets the baby stop when s/he's not hungry anymore. With a bottle, the mother will try to get the baby to drink until the bottle is empty. It's not like I need someone to blame for being fat, but it helped me to understand why I hadn't been conditioned only to eat until I was full.
Old 12-28-16, 07:16 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

I've been about 10-12 lbs overweight for about 5 years, and I can't seem to shake it. I exercise regularly and eat quite a balanced diet---I just consume slightly too many calories, I think. I don't gain, but I don't lose, either. I blame it on the friggin' desk job. I really need one of those standing desks.

I'm pretty sensitive to the feel of my weight, too--I feel like a fat piece of crap, and it definitely lowers my general confidence level and self-image.
Old 12-28-16, 09:09 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I've been about 10-12 lbs overweight for about 5 years, and I can't seem to shake it. I exercise regularly and eat quite a balanced diet---I just consume slightly too many calories, I think. I don't gain, but I don't lose, either. I blame it on the friggin' desk job. I really need one of those standing desks.

I'm pretty sensitive to the feel of my weight, too--I feel like a fat piece of crap, and it definitely lowers my general confidence level and self-image.
Sitting is the new smoking...
Old 12-29-16, 02:09 AM   #42
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I love my craft beer. I've never given it up. Yes moderation is needed.
Likewise! I can't imagine a dinner without it.

I've got a couple new ones that I've been anxious to try, but I've been sick so I'm waiting until my taste is back to normal.
Old 12-29-16, 09:42 AM   #43
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post

If you haven't been gaining or losing any weight, I'd try cutting a few hundred calories out of your diet.
Try tracking your calories for a couple weeks and see how much you're really consuming.
Old 12-29-16, 11:08 AM   #44
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
And a note for Dave - I'd recommend just going and walking on the treadmill. Keep it easy. To me, all of that extra stuff is what you want to do if you want a solid body.

Also, I look forward to getting stoned when I exercise (after my MJ card gets here). I heard it feels good.
I have a really nice rowing machine I use. I need to get back into that routine. And I generally smoked after. For whatever reason, every pain or sensation was so much more noticeable if I got high and worked out. It felt like an ordeal. I might try it on the rowing machine, but I also might feel like I'm dying once my heart rate gets up to 110.

Quote:
Will do, and you likewise. I don't get up there much, but Hempfest may be a business trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I can self regulate if I really want to, but it's hard when I'm supposed to eat dinner with the family and that dinner is not a good choice. And my wife has little commitment to the process. I once suggested she use an app to track her food intake for a while, so she could modify her choices as needed, and she scoffed, saying that she would never have the time or commitment to do that. So I don't really know how to proceed.
I had to tell my wife that I was going to have to eat at 5:30 from now on whether she had dinner fixed or not, because I needed to for my diet. I also told her that I may start fixing my own dinners because she makes very tempting dinners that I am not always able to moderate myself with. That actually went over pretty well, and my guess is that she will start to cook healthier meals if I skip what she makes a few times.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 12-29-16, 09:06 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
If you haven't been gaining or losing any weight, I'd try cutting a few hundred calories out of your diet.
Try tracking your calories for a couple weeks and see how much you're really consuming.
That's a very sound suggestion, and I have no doubt that it's perfectly scientifically valid and would yield exceptional results. However, it overlooks one significant, irrefutable fact: beer is very, very good.
Old 12-29-16, 10:08 PM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really need to lose about 25lbs to get back to a healthy weight.
Old 12-29-16, 10:24 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Step 1 - cut out carbs.
This is the best advice yet in the thread.

There is a difference between losing weight and keeping weight off. You can temporarily lose weight by almost any method that cuts calories. Keeping that weight off is much, much tougher and why something like 97% of dieters' weight loss is regained after five years.

I recommend a simple ketogenic diet if you are serious about keeping the weight off permanently. It does require an adjustment to how you eat but is much easier to psychologically maintain over the long run.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 12-30-16 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 10:07 AM   #48
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
This is the best advice yet in the thread.

There is a difference between losing weight and keeping weight off. You can temporarily lose weight by almost method that cuts calories. Keeping that weight off is much, much tougher and why something like 97% of dieters' weight loss is regained after five years.

I recommend a simple ketogenic diet if you are serious about keeping the weight off permanently. It does require an adjustment to how you eat but is much easier to psychologically maintain over the long run.
Everyone's slightly different, but for ME, I've found that diet TAKES off weight, and regular sustained exercise KEEPS it off.

Sticking to an exercise regiment, long term, is far more feasible than sticking to a diet long term.
Old 12-30-16, 10:30 AM   #49
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in. Used to be 325, got down to 230, now back to 285. I am still running, even did a half marathon in June, but since then slower and shorter than I was.
Old 12-30-16, 10:42 AM   #50
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weighed myself at the gym this morning. 230 so I'm up 18 since the summer. Here's my current plan of attack -

Manage my calorie intake to shoot for losing 2 pounds a week.
Be dedicated to drinking 8-10 cups of water a day
Lift 4 times a week, do crunches 5 days a week, do cardio 3 times a week which was my routine through most of 2015.

With muscle gain hope to be down to 200 by the start of June.