DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-02-17, 02:05 PM   #326
DVD Talk Legend

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I'm still running, after taking a few week break. Still stuck around 205 lbs. If I really started to push it a bit more with the running and diet, I could break the 200 mark. I'm just not super motivated to do so.
I have found another key is non-exercise activity.

For example my goal is to burn 700 calories daily through "all activity". To do this I have to do more than run 4 or 5 miles. I try to go for 1-2 walking breaks, park my car farther away, take stairs, etc.

Running 5.5+ makes it easy to meet my goal. And then the non-exercise activity is a nice bonus. And even before I got hurt I wasn't running 5 miles+ every single day.

Plus I like to do weights a couple times a week.

Home Theater Build
Old 08-02-17, 02:38 PM   #327
DVD Talk Hero

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

What do you folks consider to be the best free iPhone app to keep track of calories, weight loss, BMI, activity, etc?

For the past 1.5 months I've been using "MyPlate" by Live Strong. It's pretty good, but I was wondering if there is anything better out there?
Old 08-03-17, 04:21 AM   #328
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
What do you folks consider to be the best free iPhone app to keep track of calories, weight loss, BMI, activity, etc?

For the past 1.5 months I've been using "MyPlate" by Live Strong. It's pretty good, but I was wondering if there is anything better out there?
I use the paid version of MyNetDiary. There is a free version (I believe). I had so long I don't remember the differences.

I like as it remembers your entries and brings them to the top. You can easily create your own as well...The scan feature is nice as well. it can import data from Apple Watch and Nike, but I'd rather ener manually.
Old 08-16-17, 02:29 PM   #329
DVD Talk Legend

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/14/h...udy/index.html

Evidence that 'Fat but Fit' is really a myth...
Old 08-19-17, 03:10 PM   #330
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone try the Military Diet? I'm almost thru the week and pretty impressed with results.

Note it's not a long term solution.
Old 08-25-17, 10:12 AM   #331
DVD Talk God

After not being able to get past a plateau of 205 lbs for months, I finally got down to 200 lbs.

Down 38 since beginning of the year. I'd like to get down to 185, but I'm thinking 190 is probably a more realistic goal.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-25-17, 01:20 PM   #332
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still losing. But I'm way fatter than you guys. It's probably those last pounds that are a real pain in the ass. I'm looking to be at a very strong 220 or 250. Another year of this, and I think I'll be there.

Metabolic test/training has been my recent highlight. It's fun to be able to do more on the treadmill without seeing my heart rate go up. In non-gym life, I don't run out of breath or sweat as easy as I used to. My newest thing is trying to sustain on the stairclimber without my heart rate going over 150. I was told that I burn the most fat in the 120-130 range. And it's almost bad for me to be keeping my rate over 150. But I can only last 5-or-so minutes on the climber until my heart rate is up over 150 on the climber. I'm not against going on after that. But a trainer told me that keeping your heart rate up that high for more than a minute-or-so is counterproductive, and can actually damage your heart over time.

On top of that, I've been using the circuit machines. I keep moving up the weights (usually one increment every few weeks). I guess that means I'm building muscle under all this fat (I can't see it, but it's got to be there). Getting kind of tired of my gym being so packed. I have five machines I like to use. But, unless I'm going to wait around, I can usually only get to two of them before giving up and going back over to the cardio machines.
Old 09-12-17, 10:21 AM   #333
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
After not being able to get past a plateau of 205 lbs for months, I finally got down to 200 lbs.

Down 38 since beginning of the year. I'd like to get down to 185, but I'm thinking 190 is probably a more realistic goal.
With a bit more diligence, I am down to 197 now. Didn't really change anything regarding my exercise, just eating a little better. Plus, I got sick for a week so my appetite wasn't really there.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-12-17, 02:50 PM   #334
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped losing weight for a week or two.

I went back to eating one meal in the afternoon, and the rest protein drink (in water only). Seltzer water. Coffee (with cream, no sugar) in the morning. And that's about it. If I deviate, the weight loss stops.

For a few weeks, I added in an extra meal (even if healthy), and an afternoon coffee. Slowly killed my program.

Was happy to reach a new low this morning.

The diet kind of sucks. But I'm going to stick to it. It works. Another six months and I'll probably hit my goal.

I mentioned it before - even that quinoa salad and smoothie at Whole Foods is calories. It can be as healthy as you want it to be. But it won't help weight loss. There's no healthy food combination you can eat to lose weight. At least that's my experience.
Old 09-12-17, 02:57 PM   #335
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I stopped losing weight for a week or two.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I've finally psychologically adjusted to plateaus. They used to throw me for a loop and into eating more. Now I accept them as part of the process.

The other thing is I seem to retain a lot of water sometimes and that's a hard pill to swallow. You think you've lost 7 lbs this month and then you weigh yourself 3 days later and it's all back. Of course it's water but it's still a huge buzzkill.

I've lost 73 since January and still need to lose another 30. I'm going to take it slow and aim for 5 lbs a month. Main thing is weigh myself frequently, keep up the exercise and don't deviate too much from what I've been eating.
Old 09-19-17, 12:27 PM   #336
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Figured I'd finally contribute to this thread. Been working out for years, but mostly putting on mass (and fat) since I didn't adjust my diet and mostly focused on lifting.

Lost about 28lbs in the last 3-4 months (down from 255 to 227) through increased cardio and a proper diet. I also still lift heavy.

Goal is reduction in fat-loss, keep the muscle and lose the other 28lbs by Dec.

Michael Bay is the "New George Lucas"

PS3/360 GT: DVDVampire
Old 09-21-17, 03:40 AM   #337
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 09-21-17, 07:24 AM   #338
DVD Talk Legend

Well, resting metabolism plays a huge part in that. Some people can sit on their butt and burn 2000 (or whatever) calories every day. And the next person might burn 1300. The food intake can affect your metabolism. Or maybe just a little exercise daily. And a lot of that is hereditary (your pancreas, liver, etc. all works a little differently than the next guy's). Or your body could be incredibly stubborn even with diet and exercise (without checking back through this thread, I think that was Jim's problem). Some bodies sustain on their constant feed of glycogen. And some burn it off constantly and move onto burning fat.

My magic component has been meal replacement powder. The good stuff, not junk. It's the first thing that's ever really worked. 150-or-so calories 3-4 times a day. And then I eat one healthy meal if the afternoon. I like to think it has a long term affect on overall health, too. It's basically powdered veggies, seeds, and spices. I drink it with water. Because if you drink it with milk or turn it into a smoothie, then you're bumping it up to a 500-700 calorie meal.
Old 09-21-17, 07:43 AM   #339
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-21-17, 08:35 AM   #340
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
That's basically it.

How you do it and what you put in your body is the key to determining if you'll end up looking like a toothpick, someone that maintains some type of healthy body fat percentage (which also varies from person to person) or someone that loses it all, only to gain it back within 6-12 months.

Michael Bay is the "New George Lucas"

PS3/360 GT: DVDVampire
Old 09-21-17, 10:10 AM   #341
DVD Talk Hero

As my injury has subsided, my workouts/exercise have increased, and not only have I lost a lot of fat (I'm down to my "target" weight of 175, though I can get to a lean 170 - what's funny is that those final 5 pounds are tougher than the previous 20), but my heart/lung health is exemplary right now.

I was able to get my resting heart rate down to below 60 (it's around 57 right now), and my target is 50bmp resting. My SPO2 is 99%, and I can now run for a long while before getting winded - though my joints aching is a whole other issue.

My blood circulation has improved so much that (this is gonna be a little TMI) I'm getting woken up by my own (not someone else's) raging boners in the middle of the night. I was first worried about it, but learned that it's actually healthy, and if anything, it's unhealthy and you should be worried if you're not getting boners in the middle of the night. Besides the middle of the night, my regular boners have been giving my teenage years boners a run of their money, which my current girlfriend appreciates...
Old 09-21-17, 10:21 AM   #342
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Well, resting metabolism plays a huge part in that. Some people can sit on their butt and burn 2000 (or whatever) calories every day. And the next person might burn 1300. The food intake can affect your metabolism. Or maybe just a little exercise daily. And a lot of that is hereditary (your pancreas, liver, etc. all works a little differently than the next guy's). Or your body could be incredibly stubborn even with diet and exercise (without checking back through this thread, I think that was Jim's problem). Some bodies sustain on their constant feed of glycogen. And some burn it off constantly and move onto burning fat.

My magic component has been meal replacement powder. The good stuff, not junk. It's the first thing that's ever really worked. 150-or-so calories 3-4 times a day. And then I eat one healthy meal if the afternoon. I like to think it has a long term affect on overall health, too. It's basically powdered veggies, seeds, and spices. I drink it with water. Because if you drink it with milk or turn it into a smoothie, then you're bumping it up to a 500-700 calorie meal.
What's the good stuff? I've been making this with water and ice. It's pretty good but sometimes it doesn't keep me full all the way until the next meal.

Old 09-21-17, 12:39 PM   #343
DVD Talk Legend

The best line I could find anywhere (no fillers, good ingredients, etc) is Garden of Life.

So I use...

Garden of Life "Raw Meal" (Vanilla ... tried the other flavors and they're not as good)
Garden of Life "Green Superfood" (I like the apple and pomegranate ... the ginger/lemon one tastes like a lawn smells)
Naked Whey

I also drink powdered maca, cocoa, and throw in some other misc spices. But mostly just the Raw Meal, plain, in water. It's actually quite good. Adding in too many spices, fish oil, and all of that stuff, can unbalance you. Been there. It sucks.

And shaker bottle is the way to go. Though I threw out the ball, as it would collect chunks and whip the mixture too much. Leave it up to new products to over complicate shit.

Also, Amazon has Raw Meal for cheaper than anyone else. I save a good bit of money on my current diet. It's $40 for a tub. If you watch close, I've seen it down to $32 before. It's $60 at Whole Foods. Sometimes Whole Foods has it on sale for $40 or $45.

So today, it's 10:30AM, I feel just a little hungry, and all I had so far was a shake and a coffee. Will drink another shake shortly. Then some a solid meal for lunch. Then another shake or two by this evening.

I also sleep so much better when I don't take in anything (including shakes) too close to bed time. It gives time for you to burn off that glycogen and whatever before going to bed.