DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-27-17, 12:26 PM   #251
DVD Talk Hero

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Biggest Loser host Bob Harper suffers heart attack: https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/bigg...164835025.html

Yeesh, I think I may be screwed.
Old 02-27-17, 01:38 PM   #252
DVD Talk Legend

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Thanks i want to start dieting, I have let myself go for years and its getting quite dangerous.. Do you have a link where i can start or do we have a thread for this here? Don't want to hijack Alan's thread
I actually posted a couple links in one of the most recent posts. Here's my summary of how I understand it...

1. Normally, your body feeds on quick-burning daily carbs/sugar. When you get too much, it turns into fat.

2. Starve your body of those carbs/sugar. You'll first lose the stored resources in your muscles (within a day or two).

3. Then, you're liver makes a natural shift to pulling "reserves" from your body fat.

4. As long as you're not consuming too many sugar and carbs, your body will keep pulling from fat reserves instead of the carbs/sugar that it normally does.

5. While doing this, the protein feeds your body and keeps everything going. Which in turn allows you to keep burning fat instead of daily carbs/sugar.

6. Even one "cheat" (like a slice of pizza) will flip your body back to burning sugar/carbs, and you have to start over again.

7. Don't be surprised when you gain 10 pounds quickly if you cheat or end the diet. It's just your muscles absorbing all of the sugar/carbs again. Likewise, don't be surprised when you drop 10 pounds in the first week or two.

You might experience a terrible feeling for a day or two, as your body makes the shift from burning sugar, to burning fat. It's similar to caffeine withdrawal.

Once you start doing it, your overall appetite will decrease, as you'll be satiated by your existing fat - instead of feeling like you need more sugar/carbs. The shakes will also decrease appetite. And it doesn't hurt to eat satisfying food (ie, shrimp, eggs).

Atkins 15 years ago was a little different. The basic difference is that Atkins was known for letting you eat bacon and similar stuff that's somewhat unhealthy. But if you cut out that stuff too, it's only going to help.

Stick to the healthy stuff. It's easy for me because I can swing by Whole Foods and pick up some chicken salad, seafood, and whatever for lunch and/or dinner.
Old 02-27-17, 02:20 PM   #253
DVD Talk God

I think I've also hit my plateau. I'm at 212-215. Even though I've ramped up my exercise routine (faster jogging), I'm not really losing any weight right now. I'd like to get to 200, so I just have to keep chugging along.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 02-27-17, 05:11 PM   #254
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I actually posted a couple links in one of the most recent posts. Here's my summary of how I understand it...

1. Normally, your body feeds on quick-burning daily carbs/sugar. When you get too much, it turns into fat.

2. Starve your body of those carbs/sugar. You'll first lose the stored resources in your muscles (within a day or two).

3. Then, you're liver makes a natural shift to pulling "reserves" from your body fat.

4. As long as you're not consuming too many sugar and carbs, your body will keep pulling from fat reserves instead of the carbs/sugar that it normally does.

5. While doing this, the protein feeds your body and keeps everything going. Which in turn allows you to keep burning fat instead of daily carbs/sugar.

6. Even one "cheat" (like a slice of pizza) will flip your body back to burning sugar/carbs, and you have to start over again.

7. Don't be surprised when you gain 10 pounds quickly if you cheat or end the diet. It's just your muscles absorbing all of the sugar/carbs again. Likewise, don't be surprised when you drop 10 pounds in the first week or two.

You might experience a terrible feeling for a day or two, as your body makes the shift from burning sugar, to burning fat. It's similar to caffeine withdrawal.

Once you start doing it, your overall appetite will decrease, as you'll be satiated by your existing fat - instead of feeling like you need more sugar/carbs. The shakes will also decrease appetite. And it doesn't hurt to eat satisfying food (ie, shrimp, eggs).

Atkins 15 years ago was a little different. The basic difference is that Atkins was known for letting you eat bacon and similar stuff that's somewhat unhealthy. But if you cut out that stuff too, it's only going to help.

Stick to the healthy stuff. It's easy for me because I can swing by Whole Foods and pick up some chicken salad, seafood, and whatever for lunch and/or dinner.
Good post!
Old 02-28-17, 08:09 AM   #255
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

Thank You so much, this is a great post!

So since is no sugar, i'm not allowed to eat tomato sauce which i think has sugar on it, or any type of fruits ?

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 02-28-17, 09:33 AM   #256
DVD Talk God

i am going to have to pump the brakes on my journey. i suffered a foot injury last week. i thought it was just something minor, but it feels worse than that. it's not plantar fasciitis as i have had that before in the past. i'm hoping this isn't a stress fracture from running. i'm going to rest it this week and if it still hurts i'll have to see a doctor.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 02-28-17, 11:16 AM   #257
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Thank You so much, this is a great post!

So since is no sugar, i'm not allowed to eat tomato sauce which i think has sugar on it, or any type of fruits ?
Definitely not jarred tomato sauce. I've heard that stuff is loaded with sugar. And I don't think there's any fruits you can eat either.

I'm trying to kick my jerky habit right now too. I think there's too much salt in it. I noticed that when I'm doing cardio, some days I am fine and some days I feeling like I'm working too hard. First, a shake before working out helps a lot. Second, I'm trying to give up salty foods to see if that helps. I tried exercising on an empty stomach and that was a terrible idea.

I'm starting to like this as a hobby. I think I might become a health nerd for the rest of my life. There's a level of brainwashing that goes on among people at the gym. Kind of like how us movie people will attack a bad (even if popular) movie. There's a similar attitude in fitness. I was ordering a smoothie the other day and two guys were close to arguing about sugar and caffeine content of a drink. I thought it was kind of funny.

I've also heard people say "bro" so many times and I'm not sure if they're saying it ironically or for real. When I say "bro", it's spelled "broh" and is a Rick and Morty reference. I don't know how to use it in a real conversation. Hearing people use it for real makes me giggle.
Old 02-28-17, 12:29 PM   #258
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started following a high fat low carb diet (although my body is already high fat, so I mostly just focus on the low carb part) on 1/23/17, and I'm down 17 lbs so far (210 - 193). Under 20g of net carbs per day. As someone who practically prided themselves on just how much shit food I used to eat, I'm really surprised how well this is going.

I've been pretty strict though out. Staying within my macros and logging everything. It seemed like a lot at first, but at this point I know what I can and cannot eat, what effect it will or won't have on me. As long as I stay within my limits (120g protein, sub 20g carbs), I can eat pretty much whatever I want.

The first couple days after you drop the carbs can be rough, but the rule of thumb is if you keep up your electrolytes you'll be fine. I drank a mug of chicken broth every day for the first couple weeks and felt just fine.
Old 03-02-17, 08:58 PM   #259
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't been strictly sticking to losing weight for the last couple of weeks, and was dreading the result when I weighed myself yesterday. Happily, I came in at 216 (down from 237 at the beginning of the year), instead of the 224 or so I was expecting. I guess I've just been eating less without thinking about it (definitely also drinking less).
Old 03-03-17, 05:00 AM   #260
DVD Talk Legend

I was out of town this week and one art I haven't found is how to eat several meals at a restaurant without piling up calories. Portions are just too big, way too much salt and even eating just half I know I am way up this week
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 271 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 388 BR titles, 11 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 03-08-17, 11:26 AM   #261
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am at the half way point of my weight loss plan, I started at 220 pounds, and I am now at 196.
Old 03-08-17, 12:55 PM   #262
DVD Talk God

I was down to 208 the other day. Amazingly, this was without working out at all the previous week due to a foot issue. I did get really sick on Sunday, shitting my brains out 10 or 11 times, so that was probably the push to get under 210 I needed.

Old 03-08-17, 07:58 PM   #263
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, if I count my original weigh-in as 230, I'm up 4 pounds at 234. Sigh...

It bugs me because I have such little willpower.

Still having a couple beers a night and not cutting down on my eating.

Definitely not a way to lose weight.
Old 03-09-17, 08:35 AM   #264
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Need to get better about posting my results. 225 last weigh in. Down 3 pounds from 3 weeks ago and down 5 total. I expect to drop about 6 or 7 in the next month as I'm pretty sure I've gained most of my peak muscle back and any muscle I do gain from here will be much harder and slower.

12/30: 230
2/17: 228
3/9: 225
Old 03-09-17, 09:50 AM   #265
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely not jarred tomato sauce. I've heard that stuff is loaded with sugar. And I don't think there's any fruits you can eat either.
A great quote from years ago in Men's Health magazine that I always remember was, "Nobody ever got fat from eating fruit."

And I need to post my weight here but I gained a few pounds over the last couple of weeks due to parties, beer, and just all around shitty willpower.

I need to get back into it as spring is basically here and I got some clothes I really want to fit into.

But the proliferation of craft beer in my area has been my true nemesis lately. To my gut and to my wallet.
Old 03-09-17, 10:11 AM   #266
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wait so should I eat fruits or not ?
I already started drinking coffee with no sugar... still tastes bad

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-09-17, 10:31 AM   #267
DVD Talk Legend

I'm doing better the last week. Have gotten to only five pounds more than I was before the holidays, which keeps my overall loss at 60 pounds. Now that the weather is getting warmer I don't seem to be as driven to stay in the house and nibble. I've even gotten the urge to exercise a few times, which I definitely follow.
Old 03-09-17, 12:51 PM   #268
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another two weeks and only two pounds lost.

I was pretty discouraged about it, but then I had my passport photo taken Monday. When I compare it to my driver's license photo, the change is obvious and pretty dramatic.

It also helped a bit that we've had a weight-loss challenge at work for the last eight weeks. I figured that surely several other people would have greater motivation than me and I wouldn't even place, but the challenge ended yesterday and I won it, despite only having lost 13 pounds in the eight weeks.

Forward progress, however slow, is forward progress.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 03-09-17, 01:47 PM   #269
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
wait so should I eat fruits or not ?
I already started drinking coffee with no sugar... still tastes bad
Why would you not eat fruit?

I have never heard any health professional ever say to not eat fruit. You can eat fruit all day and you are not going to get fat. Completely different kinds of sugars going on there. You have to be smart about the calorie intake of course but do not fear natural sugar that is in fruit. It is what you are eating along with fruit i.e. processed foods with processed sugar that is making you fat.

Fruit is good for you. You could eat a piece of fruit with every meal and every snack. You will not get fat until you start adding crap to your diet. No natural fruit would be considered crap.

Enjoy!
Old 03-11-17, 07:24 PM   #270
DVD Talk Legend

I've been off the rails. A business trip a couple weeks ago. Last week my mom fell and eventually died. The power went out on Wednesday so with the generator running we've been restauranting and microwaving.

I guarantee you I'm right back where I started.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 271 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 388 BR titles, 11 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 03-16-17, 06:11 PM   #271
DVD Talk Legend

I cut out pretty much all sugar and carbs a month ago (except the minimal stuff you get from protein powder and whatnot). And then I took it further and cut out most salt (mostly just dumped the beef jerky). I took three days off from the gym. And, for the first time today, I did my regular exercise and my heartbeat stayed around 20 beats lower than normal (more like 135-145 instead of the normal 155-165). That was a good feeling to see such a drastic change. I guess I have to add steeper incline (I fast-walk at 9% on the treadmill) and more tension on the elliptical (my usual is level five at around 45 RPM).
Old 03-16-17, 06:16 PM   #272
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Why would you not eat fruit?
If you're the low carb low sugar thing, fruit is going to keep you from being it the keto mode (where you liver switches to processing stored fat as energy, instead of daily sugar and carbs ... or something like that). That's how I understand it anyways. Natural or not, the sugars from the fruit are going to supply you with your daily energy, and you'll be burning that off instead of existing fat storage - and your fat will continue to sit there.
Old 03-27-17, 05:59 AM   #273
DVD Talk Legend

12-best-bedtime-foods-for-weight-loss

Seems to say you can practically eat anything but a candy bar.
Old 03-27-17, 01:27 PM   #274
DVD Talk Special Edition

Down from 210 to 186 in eight weeks by following the "keto" diet and counting/limiting/tracking calories. Haven't been to the gym yet, although that will change this week. I'd like to incorporate at least some exercise into my lifestyle.
Old 03-27-17, 06:47 PM   #275
DVD Talk God

Hovering around 205. Was hoping dropping 30 lbs would help with sleep apnea. No such luck.