DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-03-16, 11:00 AM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Homeowner Thread

Thought I would start a new thread for all those who have a home and have questions. Since I don't know much, I'm sure many of you could give good advice about how to handle issues/problems that may arise with homeownership.

Been in our home for a few weeks now, had a few small plumbing issues that are being addressed/taken care of soon.

Going to buy a drill today, I think I'm going to go with this one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Vo...-Case/50040962

Seems like a great drill, and something I'm sure I'll want to have around and not have to go and rent, which I hear you can also do with tools. Thanks to all who pop in with helpful hints and suggestions!

Last edited by Quack; 07-03-16 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 11:14 AM   #2
DVD Talk God

Re: The Home Owner Thread

If I were meticulous about my shop, I'd get that one. Hell, if I didn't have kids that keep taking my shit, I'd have that one. I have the Ryobi 18v stuff. Figured they are pretty inexpensive comparatively, and then I can replace them cheaper when my kids lose them. I've been very happy with them, but I should have worn a condom.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 07-03-16, 12:04 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Don't have a house (yet) but I've taken advantage of sales on Amazon for Bosch stuff. They also have deals on DeWalt. I like Bosch's storage systems, too.

Amazon has deals on Bosch and DeWalt every few months, and they bundle a few extra batteries, a storage case, and they also bundle other equipment, so if you're looking to expand your power tools, check in with Amazon.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-03-16, 12:51 PM   #4
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once you own a house you never rest again. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done on it!
Old 07-03-16, 12:59 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Also keep in mind power tool batteries. If you buy a Dewalt drill you might want to consider sticking with Dewalt for other battery powered tools so you can switch batteries back and forth. Dewalt's a good brand though so you should be happy with a variety of their tools.

My wife and I had a house built last year. We love it but when you have a house built you basically start from scratch when you move in. We spent $800 on blinds alone (and I installed them myself!). It's great owning a house though, I don't think I could ever go back to apartment living.
Old 07-03-16, 01:35 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Now that you have a house to take care of, you're going to get plumbing tools, drywall tools, electrical tools, painting tools, carpentry tools, yard care tools, gardening tools . . .

Most jobs around the house are pretty easy. Get the 1-2-3 book from Home Depot, look at some videos, and buy the right tool for the job.
Old 07-03-16, 01:56 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Also keep in mind power tool batteries. If you buy a Dewalt drill you might want to consider sticking with Dewalt for other battery powered tools so you can switch batteries back and forth. Dewalt's a good brand though so you should be happy with a variety of their tools.
Yeah, this a million times. Get power tools that use the same batteries. Makes life much easier when you can charge and swap batteries between your drill, circular saw, jigsaw, and reciporcating saw.

DeWalt is a good brand.

My advice on getting tools for the home is to buy decent midgrade tools. Stay away from the cheap off-brand stuff, but you also won't need the pricier contractor-grade stuff for general home repair. Get the $6-$8 pliers, not the ones from the 99 cent box, or the $20+ pair.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-03-16, 03:46 PM   #8
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Once you own a house you never rest again. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done on it!
Yes, a home is a big liability, not so much of an asset as so many think. It's a big expense sink; one can get very carried away if he's not careful in differentiating 'wants' from 'needs'. I look at my neighbors with 40-year accumulations of "stuff," and swear that will never be me!
Old 07-03-16, 04:39 PM   #9
DVD Talk Reviewer

I did a lot of demolition on my last house. If you've bought an older home and plan on doing any updates, a pry bar and reciprocating saw are nice to have around ...

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1242 days 5 hours 24 minutes
Old 07-03-16, 04:46 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

I live in a condo so the only power tool I own is a drill. When I need anything else, I ask my buddy/tennis partner, his garage is like Home Depot.
Old 07-03-16, 04:54 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

I find tools with batteries very satisfying.
Old 07-03-16, 05:04 PM   #12
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you go for battery-powered tools go for those with lithium-ion batteries, or that can also use li-ion if they come with ni-cads.

About 3-4 years ago I had a major home project. At the time I had a 20 year old Craftsman drill/driver with dead ni-cads and thought about getting the batteries re-built… which I had done once as replacements weren't available. It worked wonders and the batteries lasted long and had more power, but it cost $45 per battery. I checked and re-builds were going to be over $50 at the time so that put them in new tool price range. Instead, I got a new 18v Ryobi driver/drill and saw set that came with batteries for $110.

Early this year I had re-side my whole house. For various reasons I couldn't nail, but had to screw the siding in place. Shortly after I started it was obvious I had to get new batteries. The 3+ year old, Ni-cad batteries lasted little more than hour these days and took about 45 minutes to recharge.

I lucked out as Home Depot had a deal with Ryobi on specially packaged, 2 li-ion batteries for the price of one. The larger, heavy-duty ones. They recharged in 30 minutes and lasted long enough I usually got thru a whole day without having to re-charge even one.

With the exception of a nailer, all my other battery-powered tools are Ryobi also. Just wish I had picked up a multi-unit recharger.
Old 07-03-16, 06:31 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I find tools with batteries very satisfying.
Old 07-03-16, 06:54 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

I just buy corded tools. The inconvenience of finding an outlet is countered by having the thing last a lifetime and not having to worry about costly batteries.

And my wife loves the Hitachi. Vibes should check it out.
Old 07-03-16, 07:45 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
...re-builds were going to be over $50...
Just a tip, most of that is labor. If you can disassemble your battery pack and look at the cells you can usually snag replacements cheap off Amazon or eBay. Make sure you get the versions with tabs as needed. I've been able to keep many a device going for well beyond the original battery life this way.

But yeah, as Mabuse said, corded is king. I have some power tools older than I am still going strong.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 07-03-16, 07:58 PM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to see everyone posting so far! I think this will be a big help for people. I definitely want to check out that 1-2-3 book from HD.
Old 07-03-16, 09:28 PM   #17
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless you're getting a really old house or a fixer upper people overhype the upkeep you have with a house. I've lived in my house for 6 or 7 years now (it was built in 2006) and maybe every couple years have I had anything repair wise to deal with.

We refinanced last year which dropped our interest rate by 2 percent and went down to a 15 year mortgage and our monthly payment with taxes is barely more then we would be paying in rent for an apartment. One of the best choices we've made.
Old 07-03-16, 11:45 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I just buy corded tools. The inconvenience of finding an outlet is countered by having the thing last a lifetime and not having to worry about costly batteries.

And my wife loves the Hitachi. Vibes should check it out.
My gf is partial to jack rabbits. I can use one on her while tossing the salad and hit all three of her sweet spots at once.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-03-16, 11:50 PM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Unless you're getting a really old house or a fixer upper people overhype the upkeep you have with a house. I've lived in my house for 6 or 7 years now (it was built in 2006) and maybe every couple years have I had anything repair wise to deal with.

We refinanced last year which dropped our interest rate by 2 percent and went down to a 15 year mortgage and our monthly payment with taxes is barely more then we would be paying in rent for an apartment. One of the best choices we've made.
Yeah, renting has always seemed nuts to me. It's like you're just throwing your money away when you could actually use it to own something. I know people who pay as much as or more in rent than they would pay for a mortgage.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-04-16, 01:16 AM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, renting has always seemed nuts to me. It's like you're just throwing your money away when you could actually use it to own something. I know people who pay as much as or more in rent than they would pay for a mortgage.
Maybe once upon a time it was but nowadays - paying rent comes with less headaches. Something goes wrong with the place and you call the manager or the management company and you put in a work order. That's it. You get something for your money there - "free" maintenance. You also get mobility if you have to move suddenly - worst case scenario is you break the lease. Also, most folks don't have the down payment for a house outright.

Granted, I'm not saying that I will never own a house (definitely not in California) but when I do, I'll be paying all cash for it out somewhere that the cost of living is low.
Old 07-04-16, 04:51 AM   #21
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Renting an apartment had its advantages: You don't have to pay for gas, trash pickup, water, you never have to shovel sidewalks in the winter or mow the lawn in the summer (depending on where you rent), and you don't actually have to fix anything yourself. But it had its disadvantages as well: Having to deal with a 90-year old woman who lives above you and swears you have your TV set cranked at 3am (when in fact you're asleep at 11) and has called the cops because of it, you never know where you'll end up parking your car when you get home from work, shady property management companies whose only interest in you is the ever-increasing rent you pay them, and worrying that the next person they move into your building is going to drag an entire entourage of worthless half-wits and their kids with them because the shady property management company doesn't give a shit who they rent to.

Owning your own home has it's advantages vs. disadvantages as well: You don't have to worry about that 90-year old woman or shady property management company anymore, you have your own driveway to park in, and your home is yours! But now you have to pay all of your utilities as well as property taxes and you have to fix everything yourself (or pay to have it fixed).

There are definitely financial advantages to renting but owning your own home is just.....better.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 07-04-16, 07:39 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Renting an apartment had its advantages: You don't have to pay for gas, trash pickup, water, you never have to shovel sidewalks in the winter or mow the lawn in the summer (depending on where you rent), and you don't actually have to fix anything yourself. But it had its disadvantages as well: Having to deal with a 90-year old woman who lives above you and swears you have your TV set cranked at 3am (when in fact you're asleep at 11) and has called the cops because of it, you never know where you'll end up parking your car when you get home from work, shady property management companies whose only interest in you is the ever-increasing rent you pay them, and worrying that the next person they move into your building is going to drag an entire entourage of worthless half-wits and their kids with them because the shady property management company doesn't give a shit who they rent to.

Owning your own home has it's advantages vs. disadvantages as well: You don't have to worry about that 90-year old woman or shady property management company anymore, you have your own driveway to park in, and your home is yours! But now you have to pay all of your utilities as well as property taxes and you have to fix everything yourself (or pay to have it fixed).

There are definitely financial advantages to renting but owning your own home is just.....better.
And don't forget, renting an apartment for 30 years = continue renting for 30 more years. Paying mortgage on a house for 30 years = no more paying...ever!

And the biggest advantage to owning a house: the landlords never on my case about my cleanliness!
Old 07-04-16, 11:39 AM   #23
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just bough a house in March. I figured I'd take a few weeks to a month to fix it up. Nearly 4 months later, I'm finally about to move in. Every time I'd fix something, I'd find 10 more things to fix. I guess the bright side is that I probably won't have any serious work to do in there for years.
Old 07-04-16, 12:08 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Meh, most home upkeep is lawn work and occasional plumbing. Most of it is pretty easy, and paying for lawn care or an occasional house cleaning service doesn't usually break the bank. (In fact I could do both regularly and still be paying less than it costs to rent an apartment around here that's half the size).

Once you decide to fix something or do a job, just finish the fucker up. Don't start it and say "I'll get back to it."

Youtube and the internet in general has made diagnostic work a hellov a lot easier as well, especially when it comes to plumbing and AC work.

LED light bulbs and smart thermostats, they will save money and pay for themselves, quickly
Harbor Freight tools will work for you in a pinch, just don't expect a long life out of them.
Keep your tools organized, the biggest deterrent to me getting a job done is not being able to find my goddamn tools.
Old 07-04-16, 01:58 PM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Maybe once upon a time it was but nowadays - paying rent comes with less headaches. Something goes wrong with the place and you call the manager or the management company and you put in a work order. That's it. You get something for your money there - "free" maintenance. You also get mobility if you have to move suddenly - worst case scenario is you break the lease. Also, most folks don't have the down payment for a house outright.

Granted, I'm not saying that I will never own a house (definitely not in California) but when I do, I'll be paying all cash for it out somewhere that the cost of living is low.
I travel for work all the time and still see the value in owning my home. Right now, I have adult kids living there (one is 18 and going to community college this fall, the other just finished school but is free to live there and save her money because she wants to go to grad school, which will be a huge expense).

My thought is that if I ever don't have kids who want to live there, I can hire a property management company to rent it out. It will be paid off in 14 years and is part of my retirement plan. Repairs have been about $1000 over 2 years, though I have a bigger expense (new heater) coming up. I think people overestimate the cost of repairs, when spread out over owning the home. It's that they come in unexpected spurts.

I have thought of buying for cash, too. I could do that in Idaho (worked there recently), but I figure it's easier to retire where my family is.

Also, does anyone know anything about refinancing? Refinancing puzzles me andI am going through my second one. What is the purpose to the bank, which seems to be losing money. Both have been offered for and paid for completely by the bank. I got it on a VA loan, and all I can figure is there is some government program that reimburses banks for refinancing free to veterans. ????

Last edited by tasha99; 07-04-16 at 02:05 PM.