Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-16, 12:29 PM   #101
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Home Owner Thread

no pizza box = no sale
Old 10-20-16, 01:33 PM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
no pizza box = no sale
Preach it.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 10-20-16, 03:56 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

unfortunately, I am about to remodel our kitchen and we're going with a counter depth fridge. I am sad about the pizza boxes.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-05-16, 07:12 PM   #104
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am one of the least "handy" people in the world and today I removed my old garbage disposal and installed a new one. I'm quite proud of myself.
Old 11-06-16, 04:22 PM   #105
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I am one of the least "handy" people in the world and today I removed my old garbage disposal and installed a new one. I'm quite proud of myself.
Glad to hear the job is do-able for those not-very-handy folks. I need to replace mine, and don't want to pay a plumber $300 per hour or a handyman $100+ per hour to do it.

How long did it take you? Was it tricky, or straightforward? When and if I do decide to tackle this project myself, are there any tips you'd be kind enough to offer? Probably there's not *much* chance of me screwing things up beyond repair, but I'd want to be sure before starting!
Old 11-06-16, 06:05 PM   #106
DVD Talk Special Edition

It took me about an hour and a half it was pretty straightforward other then a couple things that weren't explained very well in the manual so I just looked up a youtube video and that explained it better. To be honest the most annoying part about it was just the awkward angle you had to contort to get under the sink and work on it.

There really didn't seem to be anything that you could screw up beyond repair. I had to go down to Lowes because when I unhooked the old one the plastic pipe that goes from the sink to the disposal had worn off the lip at the end so it would leak. I just had to get another piece of 8 inch pipe to replace it with and everything was fine.
Old 11-06-16, 07:28 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats Questyen!

I did a garbage disposal once and it was a piece of cake. My biggest tip: make sure the electricity is OFF. Other than that, just make sure the new one is the same size as the old one. This helps with replacing anything!

Edited to echo: yeah, I forgot about the awkwardness of working upside down in a terribly tiny and restrictive space. I hate working under sinks. Being old and fat doesn't help.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-06-16 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 07:32 PM   #108
DVD Talk God

if you are also replacing the flange on the garbage disposal, it can be slightly tricky in that you need to use plumber's putty under neath it and get a good seal. outside of that, the hardest part of the replacement is the lack of space underneath the cabinet.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 11-06-16, 09:50 PM   #109
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gonna try to replace an outlet with an USB outlet tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 11-06-16, 10:07 PM   #110
DVD Talk Godfather

Make sure to kill the power/fuse before messing with it.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 11-06-16, 11:58 PM   #111
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Today I installed a security light on the outside of my house. There was already one there, so replacement was a piece of cake -- simply pulled off the old one and wired up the new one. Just tested it out in the dark and it worked fine so I'll probably caulk it tomorrow.

In a week or two I'm going to try to put a 3-way switch in my bedroom. There's already a switch on one side, but I tend to enter from the side that has no switch. I know how to do a regular switch, but I've looked up some videos on how to turn it into a 3-way and it seems rather confusing. Going to try it anyway. If I stop posting suddenly then I probably electrocuted myself.
Old 11-07-16, 12:37 AM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

My stupid roof is leaking again. Never buy a house with a flat roof.

I went up onto the roof twice today and swept off the standing water left from last night's rain. In a couple of days it should be dry, and I'll try to find and patch the leak.
Old 11-07-16, 08:12 AM   #113
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
In a week or two I'm going to try to put a 3-way switch in my bedroom. There's already a switch on one side, but I tend to enter from the side that has no switch. I know how to do a regular switch, but I've looked up some videos on how to turn it into a 3-way and it seems rather confusing. Going to try it anyway. If I stop posting suddenly then I probably electrocuted myself.
If you die, come back and make one last post so we have closure.
Old 11-07-16, 08:16 AM   #114
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My stupid roof is leaking again. Never buy a house with a flat roof.

I went up onto the roof twice today and swept off the standing water left from last night's rain. In a couple of days it should be dry, and I'll try to find and patch the leak.
Is that tar-and-gravel? I hate those roofs, but they are cheap to install. It's really hard to find the source of the leak though, so make sure you test it thoroughly when it's not raining.
Old 11-07-16, 09:31 AM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Is that tar-and-gravel? I hate those roofs, but they are cheap to install. It's really hard to find the source of the leak though, so make sure you test it thoroughly when it's not raining.
It's tar and gravel, except for the one square where it's leaking. The roofing company repaired it by putting down a more expensive material at that spot. It started leaking in just 10 months. Tomorrow I'm going up with a putty knife and a can of mastic and I'm going to check the seams.

I'm glad it rained enough this week for me to spot a bit of water in the bedroom. It usually leaks at midnight in January under the snow and ice. We have buckets in the bedroom for days, waiting for the ice to melt so I can do repairs.
Old 11-07-16, 11:37 AM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

I decided it would be wise to remodel a bathroom in the basement of my house. Since I'm in the realm of the guys here that are happy to have replaced a garbage disposal successfully, this is a huge undertaking for me. Luckily, one father in law is a retired plumber / ex-contractor, so he's been helping quite a bit. My other father in law is coming this weekend to help me finish up tiling and electrical.
Old 11-07-16, 12:38 PM   #117
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
It's tar and gravel, except for the one square where it's leaking. The roofing company repaired it by putting down a more expensive material at that spot. It started leaking in just 10 months. Tomorrow I'm going up with a putty knife and a can of mastic and I'm going to check the seams.
The important thing is to avoid puddling (and freezing of that water in winter). That will cause the material to crack, similar to asphalt on a road. That's why you want to have a continuous slope from the center of the roof toward the edges or drain, and also to have enough gravel to cover adequately.
Old 11-07-16, 01:31 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The important thing is to avoid puddling (and freezing of that water in winter). That will cause the material to crack, similar to asphalt on a road. That's why you want to have a continuous slope from the center of the roof toward the edges or drain, and also to have enough gravel to cover adequately.
Yeah, that would be nice. Instead, I have bowls on my roof. The last time I talked to a roofing guy about it, he said that it wasn't too bad by Albuquerque standards.

I understand that dead-flat roofs are no longer code. A couple of degrees of slope are required so that when the joists start to sag, the water will continue to drain. But my house is older than that.
Old 11-07-16, 04:32 PM   #119
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I understand that dead-flat roofs are no longer code. A couple of degrees of slope are required so that when the joists start to sag, the water will continue to drain. But my house is older than that.
I doubt that your roof is 100% flat. It might have an incline of a few degrees, but that is really hard to tell. That has been standard for a very long time, more than 50 years ago, at least in California.

You should ensure that the roof is adequately covered with gravel to protect it from the sun, especially since you are in Albuquerque.
Old 11-07-16, 05:20 PM   #120
DVD Talk Hero

A flat roof is going to develop leaks no matter how many times you fix it. You're just going to be playing whack-a-mole as long as you're living there.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 11-07-16, 06:33 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I doubt that your roof is 100% flat. It might have an incline of a few degrees, but that is really hard to tell. That has been standard for a very long time, more than 50 years ago, at least in California.

You should ensure that the roof is adequately covered with gravel to protect it from the sun, especially since you are in Albuquerque.
My house is more than 50 years old.
Old 11-07-16, 07:00 PM   #122
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
My house is more than 50 years old.
It doesn't cost much to put in a small incline, and as you mentioned, a few degrees is all you need. I wonder why they didn't do it. Gravity has been around a long time.
Old 11-07-16, 08:17 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Gonna try to replace an outlet with an USB outlet tomorrow. Wish me luck!
I've got something like this. It just plugs into a regular outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Core-...ter+usb+outlet
Old 11-07-16, 08:24 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It doesn't cost much to put in a small incline, and as you mentioned, a few degrees is all you need. I wonder why they didn't do it. Gravity has been around a long time.
If property developers could be trusted to spend just a little more money to do the right thing, we wouldn't need building codes.
Old 11-07-16, 08:41 PM   #125
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
I've got something like this. It just plugs into a regular outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Core-...ter+usb+outlet
Bulky. Replacing an outlet with one that has usb ports is much sleeker and unobtrusive.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2