DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-14-16, 01:05 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Home Owner Thread

Anyone used this stuff on a patio? Was thinking about doing the back patio this weekend.

Old 09-14-16, 01:54 PM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Boiler maintenance. Joy. (Actually not that bad, I like working on stuff)

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 09-14-16, 04:15 PM   #78
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post

We waited a long time to buy a place, definitely missed the window in coastal CA to buy in 2010-2012. Now that we finally bought, look for the market to finally crash anytime.

Just got the mortgage paperwork for the first payment, mortgage already sold to Wells Fargo. Payoff in 2046.
What window? Seriously, how much do you think you could have "saved" by buying on the coast in Calif during 2010-12? Coastal CA housing has been 'unafforable' since the early '90s at least. Really, the last fair time to buy was during the recession of the late '70s. Prices have just spiraled since then. The recent recession really didn't hit the coast at all (at least where I live, in SoCal).

At any rate, I'll bet that 3 bed, 2 bath house set you back well over a mil, if not 1.5?

Congrats on being able to afford it, and enjoy Coastal living. I'm quite jealous!
Old 09-14-16, 07:41 PM   #79
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Anyone used this stuff on a patio? Was thinking about doing the back patio this weekend.

I was just asking the Home Depot clerk about that this past weekend. I'm wanting to do my garage floor though. She said that was a no go as it's not designed for driving on.

I've been finishing the garage for the last month. Down to changing out light fixtures (going with recessed) and the floor.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-14-16, 10:38 PM   #80
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Haven't been around due to tons of stuff going on all summer (not saying anyone cares or anything just thought I'd mention it) - for the pool - the maintenance is nothing - I don't understand why so many people think owning a pool is a chore - it's not, hell you don't even have to put chlorine in every night if use a brand with stabilizer added.
Listen to Rival, he knows what he is talking about. I've had a pool at my houses now going on for almost 20 years. Most weeks I spend 5 minutes adding 2 capfuls of pool perfect to the water and throw the vacuum in and occasionally I add chorine tabs to the inline feeder. I spend less than 15 minutes a week to make sure the pool is crystal clear.

It's that whole HGTV mentality. "Pools are a lot work". "I only want Stainless Steel appliances". "No countertop is acceptable unless it's Granite".
Old 09-15-16, 12:21 AM   #81
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yesterday my garbage disposal exploded when I turned it on. I don't know how else to describe it. There was a loud bang and smoke from under the sink. When I opened the door, the disposal was on fire. But I had the sink half full of water and when it exploded, it blew a big hole in the bottom of it because water was pouring out the hole and onto the floor. I quickly shoved a mop bucket under there to catch the water, which actually served to put the fire out within a few seconds.

I hate garbage disposals. I rarely use them. Every place I have ever lived has had a disposal that eventually ended up causing a problem, although I've never seen anything like this. I'm going to rip it out and repipe without a disposal on Monday.
Old 09-15-16, 06:19 AM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Kitchen sink problems. We kept getting water under the sink. I figured out that the side sprayer was leaking from the handle when the faucet was turned on. Price Pfister sent us a free replacement. Yay!
Old 09-15-16, 09:50 PM   #83
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone I know who has owned a house with a pool says they will never buy a house with a pool again. I have zero interest in pools so don't ask why people feel like discussing pools with me.
Old 09-15-16, 11:04 PM   #84
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Yesterday my garbage disposal exploded when I turned it on. I don't know how else to describe it. There was a loud bang and smoke from under the sink. When I opened the door, the disposal was on fire. But I had the sink half full of water and when it exploded, it blew a big hole in the bottom of it because water was pouring out the hole and onto the floor. I quickly shoved a mop bucket under there to catch the water, which actually served to put the fire out within a few seconds.

I hate garbage disposals. I rarely use them. Every place I have ever lived has had a disposal that eventually ended up causing a problem, although I've never seen anything like this. I'm going to rip it out and repipe without a disposal on Monday.
Sorry about your luck.

I'm on my third house in 13 years. I've (well, had my dad) installed a disposal in the first two(new place had one). I can't live without them. I've never had any issues other than wearing them out(put a second one in the last house).

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-16-16, 02:12 AM   #85
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
What window? Seriously, how much do you think you could have "saved" by buying on the coast in Calif during 2010-12? Coastal CA housing has been 'unafforable' since the early '90s at least. Really, the last fair time to buy was during the recession of the late '70s. Prices have just spiraled since then. The recent recession really didn't hit the coast at all (at least where I live, in SoCal).

At any rate, I'll bet that 3 bed, 2 bath house set you back well over a mil, if not 1.5?

Congrats on being able to afford it, and enjoy Coastal living. I'm quite jealous!
We lived in socal (los angeles) and moved to the California central coast last year. Los Angeles will always be unaffordable for most in the prime areas. We lived near Santa Monica, and it wasn't ever going to dip enough for us to buy. I held out hope for a long time that it would. However (just as one example) there was a period a 4-5 years ago where foreclosures in Playa Vista were all over the place, condos not houses, but they were closer to half a million (expensive, but cheaper than most of the beach communities). Now those same places are closer to a million. I had friends that bought in pockets of the the South Bay (more like torrance or redondo, not Manhattan Beach) I will agree with you, there was never the correction in LA that I thought would happen, not like many areas of the country.

We could never afford a million dollar house, we bought around half a million, which is about as affordable as it gets for coastal California. I know how much we could have saved because our house sold for almost $200k less during the recession. It's still expensive here, and really expensive if you try to buy in the most prime of areas, but definitely more affordable than the big metro areas along the coast. Up here it's all about finding equivalent work to the bigger city.

Last edited by msdmoney; 09-16-16 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-16-16, 04:03 PM   #86
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
We lived in socal (los angeles) and moved to the California central coast last year. Los Angeles will always be unaffordable for most in the prime areas. We lived near Santa Monica, and it wasn't ever going to dip enough for us to buy. I held out hope for a long time that it would. However (just as one example) there was a period a 4-5 years ago where foreclosures in Playa Vista were all over the place, condos not houses, but they were closer to half a million (expensive, but cheaper than most of the beach communities). Now those same places are closer to a million. I had friends that bought in pockets of the the South Bay (more like torrance or redondo, not Manhattan Beach) I will agree with you, there was never the correction in LA that I thought would happen, not like many areas of the country.

We could never afford a million dollar house, we bought around half a million, which is about as affordable as it gets for coastal California. I know how much we could have saved because our house sold for almost $200k less during the recession. It's still expensive here, and really expensive if you try to buy in the most prime of areas, but definitely more affordable than the big metro areas along the coast. Up here it's all about finding equivalent work to the bigger city.
Interesting, thanks for your insights. I've thought Central CA coast might be the last bastion of affordability left as to coastal living in the state. Still, I'm sure a place like Morro Bay or even Los Osos will be very expensive on the coast. Perhaps less when going 1-2 miles from the coast. 25 years ago, I had the opportunity to buy a 3 bed, 3 bath home with a great ocean view in Los Osos for $300k. This was getting expensive even then. Guess I should have jumped on it... Water under the bridge now, as I decided to stay in SoCal.
Old 09-16-16, 10:41 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

I was thinking about replacing my carpet and figured I'd try out bamboo flooring. Anybody have any experience with it? I keep reading it's the best overall hardwood solution if you have pets.
Old 09-17-16, 05:14 PM   #88
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
If there's water seeping into the basement, you have to address that from the outside. You have to figure out why is there water on the outside of your foundation. Maybe something as easy as a french drain will fix the problem. My dad finally put a sump pump in the basement because if flooded every spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
As for the "blistering paint" issue...yes, check your landscaping - if it 's driveway side, it might even be that your drain tile is clogged or needs to be replaced. blistering and efflorescence (the white fuzzy stuff) are all signs of (usually) moisture issues.
I can definitely say water is not leaking into my basement; it's just this blistering on the paint in this one corner. If there was actual water getting into my basement, that shit would have been fixed by now.

The house was built back in '93 when I was seven. I remember it being built but I don't really remember any specifics about it. My uncle, who was involved in the building of the house, says it does have a French drain system. If that's clogged, how would I go about unclogging it? would I have to dig it up?

I've long suspected this blistering was due to a drainage issue. Looking at the corner, if you were to step through the wall and go straight up, you would be standing in a flower bed right next to where my driveway meets the garage. Directly in front of you would be a sidewalk that connects the driveway to my porch. I've noticed during storms, water pools right where the sidewalk meets the driveway. On the opposite side of the driveway is a concrete slab that connects to another slab that runs the length of the garage, which is where I currently parked my car.

The first slab is slightly tilted, not steep but noticeable, toward the garage. I'm guessing rain is running off the slab and driveway, ends up in this spot of the yard, and doesn't have any place to go. This is the only spot in my yard where I notice any kind of water pooling. could this be a sign my French drain is blocked?
Old 09-19-16, 08:09 AM   #89
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to add a correction to my previous post. The slab next to my driveway actually slants away from the house, toward the second slab. When it meets the second slab, however, it flattens out, so it still pushes water onto the driveway.

We had a heavy downpour yesterday afternoon, so I was back in this corner listening and could hear what sounded like water running through a drain. Could this be confirmation I have a French drain? There is also a gutter downspout that runs into a pipe cemented in this first slab, which, I assume runs under my driveway and past this corner. I can't be sure, but I think my uncle mentioned this connects to the French drain.
Old 10-13-16, 10:38 AM   #90

We're having new windows installed. I looked at the one of rooms they finished. The available frame depth went from 2-3" to 1". Now there's no room to reinstall the blinds that were mounted inside the window frame. We're going to have to put in those cheap paper fold-up blinds until I can figure out a more permanent solution.
Old 10-13-16, 10:42 AM   #91
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
We're having new windows installed. I looked at the one of rooms they finished. The available frame depth went from 2-3" to 1". Now there's no room to reinstall the blinds that were mounted inside the window frame. We're going to have to put in those cheap paper fold-up blinds until I can figure out a more permanent solution.
you can get outside mount blinds. they just don't look as nice or as clean, imho.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 10-13-16, 10:59 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
you can get outside mount blinds. they just don't look as nice or as clean, imho.
Thanks, that may be the way to go in a couple of places.
Old 10-13-16, 11:51 AM   #93
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a leak that we couldn't figure out where it was coming from until we called the guy from I Find Leaks. Came out with his thermal gun and showed where it was coming from behind the toilet.

Then I noticed a devil baby apparently living in the wall as well, so I've got that going for me too.

Old 10-13-16, 01:05 PM   #94

Devil babies are so cute when they're little.
Old 10-13-16, 09:58 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I had that same issue. I had a handyman install new blinds in my livingroom (I replaced curtains) and he installed them onto the window frame at the top since those blind mounts can either hang from the top of the window sill or sideways on the frame. My windows open on the bottom part, so installing them on the top window frame doesn't effect that.
Old 10-19-16, 02:14 PM   #96

I'm a new owner, 2 weeks in now and there's already problems. The microwave trips occasionally and we have to go down to the basement and reset the breaker. Need to call electrician. The A/C was working fine during the inspection but now during this unexpected heat wave, when I try to turn it on, it blows hot air. Need to call HVAC guy. The fridge is giant but completely lacking in space! WTH, kenmore elite? Need a new fridge that has some depth. I was hoping the homeowner high would at least last a week. bah humbug
Old 10-19-16, 05:43 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Ac could be a bad capacitor.easy fix.
Old 10-20-16, 08:28 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Ac could be a bad capacitor.easy fix.
UPDATE: turns out it was a bad thermostat install. The wires underneath lost their plastic coating and were touch each other in all sorts of sexy ways. Electrical tape fixed it. moral of the story? Always wear protection.
Old 10-20-16, 11:39 AM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

fridge is probably a counter depth fridge. They look big but are shallow.

We're about to switch to one of those because of a remodel. I hope I don't hate it.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 10-20-16, 11:46 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
fridge is probably a counter depth fridge. They look big but are shallow.

We're about to switch to one of those because of a remodel. I hope I don't hate it.
I can't stand ours. I feel like I can never have leftovers. It totally falls the pizza box test.