Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-07-16, 01:40 PM   #51
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: The Home Owner Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
This weekend I'll replace the diverter valve to the shower. Moen still makes parts for 1970s plumbing. Yay!
Call them.. they may send you a new diverter for free.

My house is all Moen. I just call them and they send me parts for free. Their limited lifetime warranty hasn't been very limiting to me.. worth a call.
Old 07-07-16, 02:23 PM   #52
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Its true what one poster put. Buying a house eliminates any free time and money you may ever have. I bought my house just over a year ago and since then its literally been every weekend fixing, building, buying, installing or basically doing something house related. After a few months i wished i had stayed renting, but now the dust is settling its become easier to deal with.
Old 07-25-16, 04:18 PM   #53
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's a good price to pay for a 2nd fridge to keep in the garage, aka beer fridge? I figured a good route to go would be Craigslist too.
Old 07-25-16, 06:11 PM   #54
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
What's a good price to pay for a 2nd fridge to keep in the garage, aka beer fridge? I figured a good route to go would be Craigslist too.
Probably $300 at most. If you go up to $500 you can probably get a new fridge that is energy efficient.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 07-25-16, 06:28 PM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Craigslist will probably be okay, but you run the risk of getting a fridge that doesn't work. You might want to try a used appliance shop. Sometimes they will have a limited warranty that ensures it works. If you just need a basic unit w/o water/ice in the door, I wouldn't go over $250. You should be able to find something under $200.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 07-26-16, 10:04 AM   #56
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Also make sure its a fridge that can handle extreme hot temps during the summer in the garage.
Old 07-26-16, 10:09 AM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Also make sure its a fridge that can handle extreme hot temps during the summer in the garage.
Yeah, definitely being in Florida that's a concern. My wife is worried about that as well.
Old 07-26-16, 10:13 AM   #58
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
When it comes to these I always buy new. If you buy an older fridge they tend not to be as energy efficient so you'll feel great about saving $200 by getting it off of Craiglist but you'll be paying $200 A YEAR extra to keep it running. Think long term. That's my suggestion anyhow.
Old 07-26-16, 10:56 AM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Last year I measured the electricity consumption of my early 1990s refrigerator. For the three hottest summer months, it consumed $13 in electricity. If I had a 20% more efficient refrigerator, I would have saved $2.60.

The temperature inside our house peaks in the low 80s during the summer. Electricity consumption is probably lower for the rest of the year.

A new refrigerator costs upwards of $1000. It's going to take a while for that $2.60 energy savings to add up to that. Also, my old refrigerator will run for a long time. Modern refrigerators are disposable units like DVD players. They only last until the motherboard fails.

From the ecological standpoint, I suspect that the energy cost of making a new refrigerator every 8-10 years is also lower than the energy cost keeping the old one running.

Of course, if Quack's garage is hot, energy consumption goes up exponentially. Each ten degrees warmer is a greater increase in cost over the last one.
Old 07-26-16, 11:28 AM   #60
DVD Talk Ruler

You must have had a nicer 1990's fridge than I did Mine was a total energy hog - and it wasn't even a full size. I will say my garage gets pretty hot... maybe that added to the equation. We finally decided to ditch the thing and our yearly electrical bill went down about $200 so we attributed it to that (of course.. there could be a lot of other factors).
Old 07-26-16, 11:49 AM   #61
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our beer fridge is a small dorm style fridge. it doesnt have a freezer in it so it can hold a lot of cans/bottles
Old 07-26-16, 03:00 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

My beer fridge in the man cave is a dorm half fridge too. Though, it does have a little freezer where I keep nutty buddies.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 07-31-16, 11:19 AM   #63
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also trying to find a good place for area rugs, I think we're gonna check out IKEA, as we've looked at Home Depot, Lowes, Macy's, other big box stores and some other specialty stores.
Old 07-31-16, 12:51 PM   #64
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd go cheap for now. When it's time to buy a new fridge for the kitchen, move the old kitchen one to the garage and dump the cheap used one.

You could also get an open box/dinged/display unit one with a decent discount.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 08-03-16, 03:47 PM   #65
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just installed a 15 foot above ground pool - been using it constantly.
Old 08-04-16, 12:06 PM   #66
DVD Talk Limited Edition

15 feet deep! :O
Old 08-04-16, 02:47 PM   #67
DVD Talk God

We have a house we moved into recently (bought in December, renovated for months and months). Anyway, we have a pool. The back patio is all ceramic or porcelain tile. If you are wet from the pool and walk on it, you are about 50/50 you are going to fall on your ass. I've been looking for a while to find some sort of product to put on it to make it less slippery. I was thinking some sort of paint with grit in it, but I didn't think that would hold up to AZ summers, water from the pool, etc. I found this stuff called Stone Grip on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/SlipDoctors-A...ne+grip+gallon

Holy shit if this stuff doesn't work. It basically etches the tile to create an abrasive surface without changing the color of the tile. I started putting it on in sections today. So far, it's working very well. With barefeet in standing water on untreated tile, it's like an ice rink. This stuff provides grip and seems to be just what we needed. If you need to treat slippery tile, I highly recommend this stuff.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-11-16, 09:04 AM   #68
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone ever had any issues with easements? So down here in Florida we'd like to stay protected from Zika, among other things, we called someone out for an estimate for a cage over our pool. He came and did all his measurements and then asked me to email him our survey which I did.

I get a call from him today saying they won't be able to build one because part of the concrete around the pool goes through a county easement line.

Are we essentially fucked? Is there nothing we can do? Will talking to the county help at all? Can we "purchase" land even though it's on our lot?
Old 08-11-16, 09:37 AM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

How "active" is your county? I hate to say it, but in some places it is better to build it first and then go ask for a variance. Other places are ruthless and will make you tear it down. Others work better with variances/permissions if you go talk to them first. It just depends on your board and county staff.

What type of easement is it? There are various reasons for easements including buried or overhead utility services, access easements to get to some form of infrastructure, railroad and highway easements (just because they are pricks to deal with ), transportation (road, sidewalk) easements, etc.

"Buying" the easement is unlikely (they don't own the land, just a legal access to it), but you could either ask for permission (a variance) or ask them to abandon the easement altogether if there is no longer a reason for them to hold it (e.g., utility facilities are no longer in use). I've heard of paying to gain an easement, but never to get rid of one. Well, I guess that isn't technically correct. I recently worked with a municipality to reroute an existing water main and we helped fund the project in order to facilitate their abandonment of the utility easement (so they couldn't come back years later and put the line back). We technically didn't buy the easement back, but I guess we kind of did.

During my term on our village board we abandoned an old easement for an alley that had somehow been shut off on both ends for years. If I remember correctly, somebody wanted to put up a fence and found out about the easement. They came to the board and asked. We could have forced the owners on the ends to oen it back up, but there was little sense in fighting that battle when few people even remembered the alley being there. We gave up the easement and turned use back over to the property owners.

Whatever you do, make sure everything is documented in writing and, if you get permission, make sure it is filed as a legal document. Verbal and handshake deals are 100% guaranteed future nightmares (for you, for future owners, and for future governing boards/agencies).
Rex Fenestrarum hits one out of the park: You'd think after all this time they woulda figured out that "hot" to me is Marion Cotillard smoking a Gauloise outside a café in Paris, not some plasticy, kilted jigglegirl in a suburban Atlanta breastaurant.

dvdjunkie32 forgets how Otterville works: I only asked for some simple advice, not 7 pages of mockery.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-11-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-11-16, 02:10 PM   #70
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Just installed a 15 foot above ground pool - been using it constantly.
Last year when i was looking to buy a house the very first one i saw had a beautiful indoor pool. I said to myself that i really did not want a house with a pool, and i loved this house and when i saw the pool i was really digging it. My wife came with me for a second viewing and she had the same reaction. Two days of thinking later and sense got the best of me. I love swimming, but i really don't do it that often. Since living in PR i have lived in about 5 places that had pools, and i even lived in an apartment on a great beach for about 3 years and that also had a pool. The problem is that i realized that it would be just another thing that would require constant maintenance and cost continual money and i would never get the money and times worth out of it. I can jump in my car and drive to any number of great beaches here, i also live now in a house i much prefer with a huge pool that is empty most of the time and its cost is covered in my monthly maintenance fee for the community. Pools are a great luxury if you have the money to pay for them and to pay someone to keep them looking good.
Old 09-11-16, 05:47 PM   #71
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone here have any experience waterproofing a cinderblock basement? There's one corner in a back room in my basement where these little blister-looking things keep forming on the paint. They're not all over the wall, they seem to be contained to 12"-18" of this corner, and they aren't very big, but they show up in little groups. I've already researched this and think they are moisture bubbles caused by hydrostatic pressure (or something like that; I can't remember the exact term). I also read cinder block/concrete needs to breath and having the walls painted with unbreathable paint could also cause issues like this.

My idea for this was to strip the paint off the corner, which I've started to do, then seal the cinder blocks with a breathable sealer. Before I start dumping more time and money into this, I wanted to hear some more opinions on this so I don't end up digging myself into a hole. If it would help, I can post pictures later, although the wall doesn't look very pretty since some of the paint has been partially stripped off.
Old 09-11-16, 09:07 PM   #72
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sounds like something that needs to be addressed from the outside. Trying to fix it on the inside, simply because it's exposed, just never works.
Old 09-14-16, 12:24 AM   #73
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife and I just bought our first place, closed about a month ago, and officially moved in at the beginning of the month. Smaller place, 1550 sf for a 3 bed 2 bath plus small office, but that's pretty normal around here if you want to afford a place. About a mile exactly to the beach.

We redid all of the floors to wood look tile before we moved in and replaced the baseboards. We only did the flooring demo, and baseboard install, but was still a ton of work combined with the actual move and only taking a day off of work.

Of course, the first time we went to use the dishwasher, which we checked multiple times in the walkthroughs, it didn't work. Luckily it will be covered by a home warranty, but that also means there is more process involved to get it fixed.

We waited a long time to buy a place, definitely missed the window in coastal CA to buy in 2010-2012. Now that we finally bought, look for the market to finally crash anytime.

Just got the mortgage paperwork for the first payment, mortgage already sold to Wells Fargo. Payoff in 2046.
Old 09-14-16, 12:08 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

If there's water seeping into the basement, you have to address that from the outside. You have to figure out why is there water on the outside of your foundation. Maybe something as easy as a french drain will fix the problem. My dad finally put a sump pump in the basement because if flooded every spring.
Old 09-14-16, 12:53 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't been around due to tons of stuff going on all summer (not saying anyone cares or anything just thought I'd mention it) - for the pool - the maintenance is nothing - I don't understand why so many people think owning a pool is a chore - it's not, hell you don't even have to put chlorine in every night if use a brand with stabilizer added.

As for the "blistering paint" issue...yes, check your landscaping - if it 's driveway side, it might even be that your drain tile is clogged or needs to be replaced. blistering and efflorescence (the white fuzzy stuff) are all signs of (usually) moisture issues.

Just this summer I had to get window wells put in (as well as new glass block windows) and have the landscapers angle the lawn to get rid of the dip I had. Basically, when ever it would rain hard and pool in the dip and next to the house - water would come in high on the foundation wall - I'm hoping that will no longer be an issue (haven't been able to friggin' tell yet though because we had absolutely no rain at all this summer).

And lastly....I'm buying a hot tub tomorrow - I'm so damn broke.