Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Night time + murky water

Yep, Zootopia:

Wow, fuck that.

Sorry Florida - I'm never visiting you.
Old 06-16-16, 11:35 AM   #102
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Alligator Grabs Child From Parent Without Asking For Permission

The biggest problem for me, based on the photos of the area that have been posted, is that Disney basically camouflaged a very dangerous environment in an attempt to make it picture perfect. Years ago, I visited some public beaches on the gulf coast with marshy areas nearby and there were signs everywhere about watching for gators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
So what was the kid doing near the lake? Forget there being gators in them but how about being two years old and near the water?

Now they've killed 4-5 gators due to people not being able to supervise their kids properly. Lesson learned on this one.
Nothing I've seen indicates the parents weren't supervising their kids. Every news story I've seen says the dad grabbed the gator and tried to wrestle the kid away, which would indicate he was likely right there with the kid when it happened. At a minimum, he was paying close attention and reacted very quickly.
Old 06-16-16, 11:36 AM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Tip for visiting Disney World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
If they were awarded 100mil dollars or something, what do you do with the money? Lead a life of luxury? Disney is already most likely taking steps to rectify the signs and put in extra safety precautions.
They'll probably have more kids, take them to more exotic places like a safari in Africa, and we'll hear about the entire fucking family being eaten by lions as they got out of the vehicle and walked under a tree...because it was warm out and they needed shade.

And again, signs that said don't get out of vehicle, but the signs didn't say, "Don't get out of vehicle BECAUSE YOU'LL BE FUCKING EATEN BY LIONS!!!!!!"

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-16-16, 11:39 AM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. All the details will come out in a year when the lawsuit inevitably starts (there's 100+ every year against em), everything until then is purely speculative.

Not Disney's first incident, won't be their last.
Old 06-16-16, 11:51 AM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Should Disney put up warning signs for coral snakes? Water moccasins? Widow and recluse spiders? Even wild panthers? You'll get all that and more around the Disney property.

I've lived in sub-tropical swamplands and plains for most of my 45 years on this planet, and the worst I've ever had to deal with was a giant flying cockroach that landed on my face while I was sleeping when I was 12, and remembering that now I'm suddenly moving to Schenectady
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 06-16-16 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 12:52 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I guess "remains" is a religious thing? I don't think I'd want my child's digested "remains" to get closure. Closure is the memory of an alligator dragging my child under the water.
Reports are that they found the body completely intact. Animal did not eat him.
Old 06-16-16, 01:02 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
You need your hand held and everything explained by your mommy and daddy?

If I saw a "No swimming" sign... I wouldn't swim.
Don't be dull. "No Swimming" is very vague. This sign actually has a little picture of a stick figure doing the freestyle crawl and words "No Swimming". It seems to indicate that swimming is not okay, but that other things might be okay, like fetching water to build a sand castle, standing up to your ankles and skipping stones, etc. All things that aren't swimming yet could still make you gator bait.
Old 06-16-16, 01:07 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
The biggest problem for me, based on the photos of the area that have been posted, is that Disney basically camouflaged a very dangerous environment in an attempt to make it picture perfect. Years ago, I visited some public beaches on the gulf coast with marshy areas nearby and there were signs everywhere about watching for gators.
Very dangerous???

People are actually IN that lake on a regular basis and this is the first incident of it's kind. It's also no where near the same as those marshy areas you noted.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-16-16 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 01:10 PM   #109
DVD Talk Hero

Somebody said Bill O'Reilly's Word Of The day for yesterday, was gatorbait.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-16-16, 01:14 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Should Disney put up warning signs for coral snakes? Water moccasins? Widow and recluse spiders? Even wild panthers? You'll get all that and more around the Disney property.
Since I'm from the PCW the first time I had ever seen a black widow spider or water moccasin was on Disney property.

Saw the black widow when evacuating the Everest ride via the internal stairwell inside the mountain when the ride broke down at the top. Big sucker too... red hourglass marking in full view... staring me in the face when going down the stairwell.

Noticed the water moccasin when we rented one of the "water mice" (tiny one person speedboats) when we were staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort and zipping around their internal "lake".

In both cases the Disney Cast Member just shrugged it off when we told them about them. Said there was nothing they can do given how many of them are in that area.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-16-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 01:28 PM   #111
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
I've lived in sub-tropical swamplands and plains for most of my 45 years on this planet, and the worst I've ever had to deal with was a giant flying cockroach that landed on my face while I was sleeping when I was 12, and remembering that now I'm suddenly moving to Schenectady
I was about the same age when the same thing happened to me in my childhood Ft. Lauderdale home. Every time my wife starts bitching about finding a house centipede in our home up here (which happens maybe once a year), I feel compelled to remind her how good we have it in terms of bugs.
Old 06-16-16, 01:35 PM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
So what was the kid doing near the lake? Forget there being gators in them but how about being two years old and near the water?

Now they've killed 4-5 gators due to people not being able to supervise their kids properly. Lesson learned on this one.
There is no need to hover over a child who is right next to you splashing around in a calm body of water. Look at the photos. It's a fake beach with sand going right into the water which would indicate to me that they are encouraging people to walk in (not swim).

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 06-16-16, 01:36 PM   #113
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney cut them a hefty check right there. I know everyone is lawsuit crazy now a days, but is there really a need to sue them and profit off your child's death? If they were awarded 100mil dollars or something, what do you do with the money? Lead a life of luxury? Disney is already most likely taking steps to rectify the signs and put in extra safety precautions.
I would OWN the Grand Floridian by the time I was done.

Old 06-16-16, 01:40 PM   #114
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
You need your hand held and everything explained by your mommy and daddy?

If I saw a "No swimming" sign... I wouldn't swim.
Congratulations on being an exemplary rule follower. A lot of people would think Disney had a fear of people drowning and no lifeguard on duty. Wading, to a lot of people, is not swimming, especially at a man made sandy beach.
I have to tell people to not do things they really want to do all the time in my job. The way to get people (well, more people) to comply is to explain why. A sign with warnings for gators, snakes, and brain eating amoebas would keep more people out. We vacation at Disney frequently, and that threat of an amoeba getting in a nasal passage has made me vigilant about my own kids not horsing around in unchlorinated water.

To me, this is a tragic accident. That poor father will blame himself, but he did nothing wrong.
Old 06-16-16, 01:41 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

No, but signs about child eating super predators might be helpful. It's not like you were went on a camping vacation in Canada and your child was killed by a grizzly bear. This is Walt Disney World where people come from all over the world who have no exposure whatsoever to "sub-tropical swamplands" and assume it's an amusement park with a controlled environment. I certainly did. I even think some acknowledge the fact that there may be alligators nearby but not the in park proper.

Old 06-16-16, 01:43 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, what the fuck is with brain eating amoebas at Disney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Very dangerous???

People are actually IN that lake on a regular basis and this is the first incident of it's kind. It's also no where near the same as those marshy areas you noted.
Are alligators out in the middle of bodies of water feeding? Don't they stay around the edges?

Old 06-16-16, 01:53 PM   #117
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Reports are that they found the body completely intact. Animal did not eat him.
Gators will often stash prey underwater to let it rot a bit before eating it...
Old 06-16-16, 01:53 PM   #118
DVD Talk Hero

Amoebas are all over the place, fresh water lakes/ponds + extreme heat especially.

We used to all go play in a local lake as kids, big public park, and then a few years later somebody died of an amoeba and that was that.

Anyway, that beach will likely be barricaded off or segments walled off and turned into a pool before long, it's too big to do anything else with it.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-16-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 01:59 PM   #119
DVD Talk Godfather

It's funny how folks are going right to blaming Disney in this case where in the "Zoo Case" they go right to almost exclusively blaming the parents. This goes to prove my point that the Zoo fucked up because their enclosure was NOT Child Proof. Seems to me there is a much bigger blame in that case.

That's not to say Disney doesn't have some blame...the way I see it, if you're in Florida near water the potential for gator contact is very high. If you're a resort that has water...expect your guests may have a gator experience at some point.
Old 06-16-16, 02:02 PM   #120

Quote:
Disney Parks has ordered cast members working on its classic Jungle Cruise attraction not to tell a dark joke about crocodiles eating children. The orders come in the wake of the tragic mauling death of a two-year-old boy by an alligator at a Walt Disney World Hotel.

The one-liner — part of a Disney-approved script filled with pun-heavy patter which many park fans know by heart — involves the Jungle Cruise skipper warning parents to "watch your children, or the crocodiles will."
Old 06-16-16, 02:07 PM   #121
DVD Talk Hero

Probably a good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
It's funny how folks are going right to blaming Disney in this case where in the "Zoo Case" they go right to almost exclusively blaming the parents. This goes to prove my point that the Zoo fucked up because their enclosure was NOT Child Proof. Seems to me there is a much bigger blame in that case.

That's not to say Disney doesn't have some blame...the way I see it, if you're in Florida near water the potential for gator contact is very high. If you're a resort that has water...expect your guests may have a gator experience at some point.
Yeah, it's a massive body of water. I chalk it up more to a tragic accident with several factors at play, but when it comes down to it, someone's still dead and that fucking sucks.

They're gonna need a bigger fence.
Old 06-16-16, 02:09 PM   #122
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Anyway, that beach will likely be barricaded off or segments walled off and turned into a pool before long, it's too big to do anything else with it.
As posted earlier in the thread, there are many uses for that area including showing movies and watching fireworks. Both are perks advertised to guests staying at the resort. There are 4 other resorts on the same Magic Kingdom area lake with similar areas, and even more on a similar lake near the Epcot park. Almost every resort on the WDW property has some large body of water. It at least WAS one of the advertised features and Disney uses many of those waterways every day to get from one area to the other (most are connected).

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-16-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 02:10 PM   #123
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I usually go down there for SANS which is at the boardwalk/EPCOT area.
Old 06-16-16, 02:11 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Addtionally, Disney employees may no longer use the phrases "See You Later, Alligator" or "After While, Crocodile".
Old 06-16-16, 02:14 PM   #125
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Are alligators out in the middle of bodies of water feeding? Don't they stay around the edges?
Both. Typically not where the humans are.

They are there because birds hang out on the lakes. And idiots feed the birds...