Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-16-16, 09:51 AM   #76
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Alligator Grabs Child From Parent Without Asking For Permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Wonder how many people realize they actually used to promote swimming in the same lagoon. They even used to operate a wave machine near the Polynesian resort so people could surf and they could give surfing lessons.
People swim in water with gators every day in FL. This is a tragic event but very rare.
Old 06-16-16, 09:55 AM   #77
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Tip for visiting Disney World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Disney will take care of the family in a first class manner, as I learned from my neighbor when her cousin died (in her sleep) down there a couple of years ago.
I am wondering what first class manner entails...

"sorry your son was eaten by an alligator, please take this child animatronic to help ease your loss"

If the no swimming sign was because of alligators then Disney needs to admit they were at fault for not fully warning people about it. I can accept the no swimming sign if Disney did not know of the danger from alligators and the sign was for another reason.
Old 06-16-16, 09:57 AM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post

"sorry your son was eaten by an alligator, please take this child animatronic to help ease your loss"

If the no swimming sign was because of alligators then Disney needs to admit they were at fault for not fully warning people about it. I can accept the no swimming sign if Disney did not know of the danger from alligators and the sign was for another reason.
The sign was there due to rental boats, not gators. It was swimmable a while back, had a wave machine, etc; They likely have nets and what have you to prevent gators from getting into that area, alas didn't work so well this time.

They brought up the "no swimming" sign for lawsuit purposes, that's all.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-16-16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 10:00 AM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
When you're searching for someone, you need to know if you can stop. As horrible as it might be, the family needs closure and to properly take care of his remains.
I guess "remains" is a religious thing? I don't think I'd want my child's digested "remains" to get closure. Closure is the memory of an alligator dragging my child under the water.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 06-16-16, 10:02 AM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
When we visited WDW in the 70s, my Dad went golfing on one of their courses and saw alligators in the water hazards.

No way Disney can get rid of all alligators on their property. Best they can do is implant an alarm clock into each and every one so that you can hear them coming.
Best they can do is SIGN the fuck out of the properties and have the font desk people warn you and have you sign a paper indicating you were warned and understand the hazard.

My experience was you go to Disney and everything is perfect and there is not a worry in the world. There's not even any litter anywhere.

Old 06-16-16, 10:03 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

You want to witness an evolutionary cul-de-sac? Go to the WDW Facebook page and read all the mental fidgets DEMANDING that Disney REMOVE ALL THE ALLIGATORS from their property.

For real.

There isn't a facepalm strong enough...
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 06-16-16, 10:04 AM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I've never been to Disney World. If alligators are as common as you people describe why do they do things like "movies on the beach"? Do they warn guests when they check in?

Accidents happen when two things occur (1) stupidity, and (2) the illusion of safety, that is the feeling of, "This must be safe or else they wouldn't let us do it." I could easily see myself falling victim to the illusion of safety factor in this situation, because I would naturally assume that despite being in Florida and despite being in a swamp, Disney wouldn't allow me access to this water if it had deadly alligators in it.
Fuck no. I was there twice and not a word spoken about and not a sign anywhere on the property that I saw. LOTS of "No Smoking" signed though.

Old 06-16-16, 10:08 AM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder if the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland is going to be changed

Old 06-16-16, 10:09 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I don't think I could deal with alligators being around constantly. Up here all we have to worry about is the occasional angry turkey or aggressive squirrel.
You have copperheads and rattlesnakes and coyotes and mountain lions in Connecticut.

Old 06-16-16, 10:10 AM   #85
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Not sure who will be found at fault if it ever gets to that point, but this doesn't seem to be anything that Disney could have easily solved without getting to the point where no guests are allowed anywhere near the water. The reality is that same "beach" spot, and others at the neighboring MK and Epcot resorts, are used almost nightly to view fireworks and boat parades without prior incident. And people take personal water craft out on that same connected waterway all the time.
WDW will be sued for MILLIONS and lose quickly. This is a slam dunk case and could be a monumental awarding of punitive damages.

Old 06-16-16, 10:11 AM   #86
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I've been to Disney many times, there aren't many, if any, "Watch for Gators" signs.

I get the feeling they have taken steps to keep gators off the beach shore area, but obviously it wasn't quite enough.

Horrible event, and dead is dead, but at least the kid wasn't eaten.

Living in Florida I see gators all the time, they don't bother you unless you're basically right on top of them.
Old 06-16-16, 10:11 AM   #87
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Fuck no. I was there twice and not a word spoken about and not a sign anywhere on the property that I saw. LOTS of "No Smoking" signed though.
Well, you wouldn't want the gators to be inhaling your second hand smoke, would you?

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 06-16-16, 10:15 AM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
In fairness I'm not sure how one could expect everyone to assume "No Swimming" meant you could be pulled into the water by a several hundred pound creature. Perhaps the water is polluted. Perhaps no lifeguard is on duty. Perhaps the current is strong. Walking at the waters edge doesn't mean you aren't following the instructions and that could be deadly just the same. How about instead of "No Swimming" they replace it with a sign that everyone could understand. Something like "DANGER - Stay the fuck away from the water"?
I stayed at that hotel. You can see in the photo - if they don't want people in the water AT ALL, then why build a "beach" with sand sloping into the water? I see that and I think its meant to walk around to your knees and "no swimming" means just that. WDW is going down so hard on this one. That Facebook mom is right - there is no sense whatsoever that there are giant predators in that water.

Old 06-16-16, 10:16 AM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
The kid wasn't walking at the water's edge. He was wading in the water.
Meaning he was walking in 6-12 inches of water. Same thing. He was two years old, its not like he was able to do anything than walk around and pick up stones.

Old 06-16-16, 10:17 AM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There were multiple reasons for not allowing swimming over the last few decades. But it was never because of gators. They routinely let people out on the same connected body of water, including activities that routinely have them in the water, including water skiing. they even used to have a water park that used the same connected waterway.

But it's because the lagoon was previously available for swimming that those resort have those beaches. What's why it's really going to suck for Disney if they have to make changes because of this tragedy is that they recently just created a large bungalow section at the Polynesian resort and are building another similar area at the Wilderness Lodge resort built right on top of the same connected waterway.

But if they do get sued, they have a gaggle of lawyers on retainer that have probably already considered what they would do if this was to happen. As many people have posted, it's not like they didn't know the gators were ever present.
Old 06-16-16, 10:34 AM   #91
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Wonder if the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland is going to be changed

They should put a child in the alligator's mouth as an easter egg.
Old 06-16-16, 10:38 AM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I guess "remains" is a religious thing? I don't think I'd want my child's digested "remains" to get closure. Closure is the memory of an alligator dragging my child under the water.
Remains confirm death, which for many people is very important. It also helps them identify which gator is the "man eater", obviously you can't have one of those around.

In this case, the gator drowned the kid but didn't eat him. I am curious what they've been doing for the last 20 years to keep the gators off this particular beach. Though it does seem like gator population is booming as of late, wonder if they ever plan to take them off the endangered list (which they're on because of their similarities to the endangered American Crocodile. Which is dumb.)
Old 06-16-16, 11:04 AM   #93
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disney fucked up bad.

Horrific.
Old 06-16-16, 11:04 AM   #94
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I am curious what they've been doing for the last 20 years to keep the gators off this particular beach.
Likely very little, or nothing. Gators are always present in that larger body of water, and the surrounding connected smaller waterways. But they haven't been coming around the guest areas for the most part. I wouldn't consider one incident to be proof that has changed.
Old 06-16-16, 11:14 AM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

So what was the kid doing near the lake? Forget there being gators in them but how about being two years old and near the water?

Now they've killed 4-5 gators due to people not being able to supervise their kids properly. Lesson learned on this one.
Old 06-16-16, 11:17 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post

I'm assuming for starters, all of their trip expenses have been refunded.

They will more than likely fly them home on a private plane. Could you imagine having to fly back home commercial from the Orlando airport after such a tragedy?

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney cut them a hefty check right there. I know everyone is lawsuit crazy now a days, but is there really a need to sue them and profit off your child's death? If they were awarded 100mil dollars or something, what do you do with the money? Lead a life of luxury? Disney is already most likely taking steps to rectify the signs and put in extra safety precautions.
Old 06-16-16, 11:17 AM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
So what was the kid doing near the lake? Forget there being gators in them but how about being two years old and near the water?

Now they've killed 4-5 gators due to people not being able to supervise their kids properly. Lesson learned on this one.
From what I've been reading, there was an event occurring (think I read they were showing Zootopia on the beach), and the dad was more or less right next to the kid - Gators are fast.
Old 06-16-16, 11:19 AM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
From what I've been reading, there was an event occurring (think I read they were showing Zootopia), and the dad was more or less right next to the kid.
Damn, that gator was in stealth mode then. The way I kept reading it was that the kid was near a body of water while the parents were not actually watching him.
Old 06-16-16, 11:20 AM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Damn, that gator was in stealth mode then. The way I kept reading it was that the kid was near a body of water while the parents were not actually watching him.
Night time + murky water

Yep, Zootopia:

Old 06-16-16, 11:20 AM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The sign is a piece of shit. I saw it on the news last night. "No swimming" is not specific enough.
You need your hand held and everything explained by your mommy and daddy?

If I saw a "No swimming" sign... I wouldn't swim.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)