DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-01-16, 11:42 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Last stage show you attended?

I'm trying something new, and it's fine if it just disappears due to lack of interest. But considering we have threads for last movie you saw, last concert you attended, last TV show you watched, etc., and we seem to have some theatregoers here, why not this?

Putting it in Otter since it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. I see mostly musicals, but others may not. Mods can move if desired.

Anyway, to start it off:

Last Saturday I saw Assassins, with music and lyrics by Sondheim. I like the musical, but it's rarely staged due to the subject matter (would-be or successful assassins of U.S. presidents throughout history), and one of the two big Seattle theaters decided to stage it during an election year. I've seen it once before, but this was a more professional production, so I bought a second ticket to see it before our season tickets come up in May. It was really well done with a strong cast. Sobering, of course, but thought-provoking.

Last night I saw A Night with Janis Joplin, which has played Broadway and around the country. Not really my cup of tea because I don't know Joplin and I prefer book musicals, but the cast was great--the lead, and the others who played and sang songs as Joplin's influences (Bessie Smith, Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, etc.)
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-01-16, 12:06 PM   #2
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Last stage show you attended?

I like it!

It's been far too long since I've seen a show. I think the last one I saw was a Wicked nat'l. tour in 2011 (and a few days before that, a local production of Gypsy).

One of these days, I'll get back to it. Love the thread and hope to contribute some new shows before too long.

My DVD list
Old 04-01-16, 12:16 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

The Crucible, in previews, this past Saturday on Broadway (Ben Whishaw, Sophie Okonedo, Ciaran Hinds, and Saoirse Ronan). The good news is that Ronan is just as lovely in person from 20 feet away (had second row seats) as she is on movie screens. The bad news is that I didn't really enjoy the play.

Been to a few already this year. We went up and say Noises Off (Campbell Scott, Andrea Martin) and A View From the Bridge (Mark Strong). Noises Off I adored.

We also saw Once again, this time here in DC at the Kennedy Center, but I cannot remember if that was this year or late last. We saw it in NYC as well some time ago.
Old 04-01-16, 12:47 PM   #4
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw Cabaret in February during it's two week run here in Chicago. I thought it was fantastic.
Also saw Othello at the Shakespeare Theater. As much as I love the play itself, I was disappointed by the production.

Tonight, I go see Rent. It's supposed to be a great production at a small theater up in Rogers Park. Can't wait.

Comics
Old 04-01-16, 01:14 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

I am the artistic director for a musical theater company in the Twin Cities, so I see lots of stuff. I'm currently vocally directing our production of "Leap of Faith," which is a Broadway flop that's based on the Steve Martin movie. I saw it in previews in New York and loved it - it's going to do much better here. Prior to that our company did "Silence! The Musical!" which is based on Silence of the Lambs.

The last stage show I saw was the tour of "If/Then" - normally I know a ton about a musical and have already listened to it before I see it but I went into this one blind. It was great.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-01-16, 01:20 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neitzl View Post
Saw Cabaret in February during it's two week run here in Chicago. I thought it was fantastic.
Yup, we saw it on Broadway in 2014 with Alan Cumming and Michelle Williams. I had never seen it before and truthfully expected to not enjoy it and ended up liking it quite a bit.
Old 04-01-16, 01:23 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Great to see so many contributions already! The idea came to me after seeing Newsies while visiting Boston. It's coming to Seattle next year, but we got better seats than we would for our season subscription, and the acrobatics were amazing. One guy would do these flips then casually look at the audience and give a look like "Yeah, I did that."

We subscribe to the two big theaters (one does in-house shows, the other touring productions) but try to see other productions when possible. I finally saw The Last Five Years, and it happened twice in a month--a concert production by a high school/college-age company and another local company. I'm a Jason Robert Brown fan, but I kind of ignored this show till seeing the movie, and now I keep seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I am the artistic director for a musical theater company in the Twin Cities, so I see lots of stuff. I'm currently vocally directing our production of "Leap of Faith," which is a Broadway flop that's based on the Steve Martin movie. I saw it in previews in New York and loved it - it's going to do much better here. Prior to that our company did "Silence! The Musical!" which is based on Silence of the Lambs.

The last stage show I saw was the tour of "If/Then" - normally I know a ton about a musical and have already listened to it before I see it but I went into this one blind. It was great.
I like the Martin movie, especially "Change in My Life."

We saw If/Then on tour as well, and it was unusual to see stars of the caliber of Menzel and Rapp come with it. The show opens with a spotlight on Menzel on the phone, and she says "Hey, it's me." *Audience erupts in applause*
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-01-16, 01:25 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

It's been too long since I've seen a play, especially since my mother-in-law is in them somewhat regularly. "Fun Home" is coming to town this year, I need to try to catch that.
Old 04-01-16, 02:08 PM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't been to any this year, but last year I saw local productions of Spring Awakening and Avenue Q. My favorite local theater is doing Rocky Horror right now, and I absolutely have to see it

https://youtu.be/PqUW6P3ALbU

In years past, this theater has done bang-up productions of Cabaret, Sweeney Todd, Noises Off, Spring Awakening (Duncan Sheik said was the best local production he'd ever seen), and Little Shop of Horrors (which they did completely black-and-white, except for Audrey II and the girl group trio).
Old 04-01-16, 02:50 PM   #10
DVD Talk Godfather

I try and see something at least every few months: concert, musical, or play. Last play I saw was Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime which I thought was well done.

The Humans is the next play I want to see.

A father of a friend is a theater reviewer and I usually try and see whatever his favorite is of the year. Last year it was Something Rotten! which was superb.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 04-01-16, 03:24 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

We went to see The Intergalactic Nemesis last year and had a great time.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 04-01-16, 04:16 PM   #12
Inane Thread Master

saw Larry David's A Fish in the Dark last year. want to see Hamilton next...
Old 04-01-16, 04:26 PM   #13
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Dirty Dancing.
Old 04-01-16, 04:30 PM   #14
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

The last thing I saw on stage was Penn & Teller on Broadway last summer (2015).

Prior to that I saw a traveling production of Wicked in Philadelphia.

I really need to see live theater more.
Old 04-03-16, 04:24 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Drum Tao, Seventeen Samauri

It was awesome!
Old 04-03-16, 06:10 PM   #16
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Rumors, a Neil Simon play on Broadway, about 1989.
Old 04-03-16, 08:50 PM   #17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hamilton and Spring Awakening last November.
Old 04-04-16, 09:19 AM   #18
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Yup, we saw it on Broadway in 2014 with Alan Cumming and Michelle Williams. I had never seen it before and truthfully expected to not enjoy it and ended up liking it quite a bit.
Ah, I'm jealous! Wish I could have seen it with Cummings in it. Natasha Richardson too. The one I saw had Randy Harrison, from Queer as Folk. He was great, but I think Cummings would be better.

Rent was great. Very small space and the actors were all around the audience, was very cool.

Comics
Old 04-04-16, 09:24 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
A father of a friend is a theater reviewer and I usually try and see whatever his favorite is of the year. Last year it was Something Rotten! which was superb.
Something Rotten is continuing to haunt me. It was supposed to be part of one of our Seattle subscriptions, but it ended up going straight to Broadway (this is the local theater that developed Hairspray, The Wedding Singer, and many others). Based on the accolades, it apparently didn't need the development period. The theater offered subscribers free tickets to see it in NYC, and we're like "Right, we haven't been to NYC in years," but then it turned out that we WERE going to be there for a day. We then tried to get our free tickets, but it was on short notice, and we had such a small window that it didn't end up working out. Now we're planning our next trip, and that show was on the short list, but again we have a short window and it didn't make it onto our plans. I will see this show someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neitzl View Post
Ah, I'm jealous! Wish I could have seen it with Cummings in it. Natasha Richardson too. The one I saw had Randy Harrison, from Queer as Folk. He was great, but I think Cummings would be better.
Natasha Richardson
Old 04-04-16, 09:59 AM   #20
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Last stage show was a topless dancers bar in Reno with a bunch of my co-workers.
Old 04-04-16, 10:01 AM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Newsies
Old 04-04-16, 03:58 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Blue Man Group. Touring version in a relatively small theater. I was impressed at how much they were able to pull off with limited space.
Old 04-04-16, 05:22 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Something Rotten is continuing to haunt me. It was supposed to be part of one of our Seattle subscriptions, but it ended up going straight to Broadway (this is the local theater that developed Hairspray, The Wedding Singer, and many others). Based on the accolades, it apparently didn't need the development period. The theater offered subscribers free tickets to see it in NYC, and we're like "Right, we haven't been to NYC in years," but then it turned out that we WERE going to be there for a day. We then tried to get our free tickets, but it was on short notice, and we had such a small window that it didn't end up working out. Now we're planning our next trip, and that show was on the short list, but again we have a short window and it didn't make it onto our plans. I will see this show someday!
"Something Rotten" was our TKTS pick the last time my wife and I were in NYC. She's not nearly as big of a musical theater fan as I am and she loved it, even when afterwards I had to explain a few of the references to other shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

I like the Martin movie, especially "Change in My Life."
Oddly (and I was surprised when I saw the show in NYC as well), there is no music from the movie in the show. Alan Menken wrote the music (of Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Little Shop of Horrors fame, just to name a few) and it's pretty great. I had the idea to team up with a local gospel choir for the production too, which should be fun.

Here's a 360 video I shot of our rehearsal last night - you can see me conducting in this one. Embedding seems to break the 360 functionality so just go here if you want to see it
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-04-16, 06:47 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Book of Mormon in LA about 3 years ago.
Old 04-04-16, 06:57 PM   #25
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pippin last year.
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.