Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-10-17, 08:13 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Last stage show you attended?

Book of Mormon on December 7.
Old 01-11-17, 08:51 AM   #77
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Recently caught Into the Woods and Jersey Boys. First time seeing both and they were quite enjoyable (Joe Pesci! Who would have thought!).
PSN ID: ButrzRulz
Old 01-11-17, 03:01 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Going to go see the stageplay production of Xanadu in Dayton in a couple of weeks.

^ 2008 Tony Awards performance of "Don't Walk Away"

It's a guilty pleasure, having seen it performed 4-5 times in a lot of different places - including the post-Broadway tour run up in Chicago about a decade ago. But, damn, it's a hoot! And the music takes me right back to high school in the late 70s.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-11-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 03:14 PM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing The Bodyguard tonight - I fully expect it to be awful
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 01-11-17, 03:20 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm seeing The Bodyguard tonight - I fully expect it to be awful
Hey, Draven's back!

The Bodyguard is on our schedule for next year, and a lot of people are complaining about having to buy it as part of their season tickets just so they can see Hamilton.

Side note: Did your company do Songs for a New World last year? A local company put it on last summer and I ended up seeing it multiple times.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-11-17, 04:09 PM   #81
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Beatles "Love" show in Vegas last year. It was excellent and scary to see all the acrobats performing without safety harnesses.
Old 01-11-17, 05:31 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

I saw Fun Home last weekend. It's a weird musical about family secrets and homosexuality but it was surprisingly touching and well acted.
Old 01-12-17, 06:51 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

Kind of interesting story on these theatrical events.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marchers.../#72a84e137d21

Quote:
Jan 11, 2017 @ 09:00 AM
'Allegiance' Screening Sets Box Office Record, But Fails to Recoup Production Cost

Broadway producers seeking financial salvation from the silver screen might have to look elsewhere in their search for revenue.

Fathom Events announced that its recent screening of the Broadway musical Allegiance was its highest-grossing one-night musical event to date, topping over $1 million in ticket sales. But, despite its popularity, the presentation was not profitable.

Bringing Broadway musicals to movie theaters often costs between $2 million and $4 million. The producers must negotiate contracts with eight different labor unions, hire multiple camera operators and sometimes install brighter stage lighting.

“The record-breaking one-day event in December put us well on our way towards fully recouping the capitalization of the film,” confirmed Lorenzo Thione, the producer of Allegiance. “We look forward to a successful encore in February, as well as further distribution channels, in the U.S. and internationally, to make the film profitable, as well to begin offsetting the investments made in the original Broadway production,” he said.

Yet, the producer might not have chosen to record Allegiance solely in hopes of making money. Presenting the musical in movie theaters allowed the show to reach a broader audience, and share its stirring story about Japanese-American families sent to internment camps during the Second World War.

“So many people around the globe have never heard about this dark part of our nation’s history, and it is an honor and privilege for me to help tell this story so that we can avoid repeating the mistakes of the past,” commented George Takei, one of its creators, in a statement. “This event – with Allegiance coming to cinema screens all around the country – will give to so many more the opportunity to experience and see this musical, which I consider my legacy,” he added.

Capturing shows for commercial distribution might also offer producers other collateral benefits. While the Tony Award-winning musical Memphis, for example, recovered only about 80% of its $2.5 million recording costs, the film assisted the show develop a national brand.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-12-17, 07:46 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

They should sell them on iTunes for 30 bucks. They'd make a killing. Not every theater fan can make it to Broadway.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 01-12-17, 07:48 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Hey, Draven's back!

The Bodyguard is on our schedule for next year, and a lot of people are complaining about having to buy it as part of their season tickets just so they can see Hamilton.

Side note: Did your company do Songs for a New World last year? A local company put it on last summer and I ended up seeing it multiple times.
Yes, we did it this past fall! It's a fun show - I ended up performing in it as "Man 2" which was a blast.

And get ready for The Bodyguard - I have been describing it as a "dumpster fire" - it's far worse than I thought it would be. Happy to tell you more if you'd like

Last edited by Draven; 01-12-17 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 09:26 PM   #86
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
They should sell them on iTunes for 30 bucks. They'd make a killing. Not every theater fan can make it to Broadway.
I'd love to see that, but I understand retail rights are pretty tricky, which is why even stuff that's broadcast on PBS often never hits DVD/BD. I looked over the Broadway HD offerings when She Loves Me was happening, but there were few musicals (Gypsy with Dolores Umbridge was one of them).

Quote:
Yes, we did it this past fall! It's a fun show - I ended up performing in it as "Man 2" which was a blast.
That's the tenor role, right? A friend of a friend was playing Woman 1, which is why I went, but they used two different casts ("Stars" and "Moon"), which is one reason I went back (the others being my kid wanted to go again, and a friend wanted to go, so I kept going ). The director played Man 1 and was great, except he blanked on one verse of "She Cries," poor guy!

Quote:
And get ready for The Bodyguard - I have been describing it as a "dumpster fire" - it's far worse than I thought it would be. Happy to tell you more if you'd like
Sure, feel free to vent. I can't say I had high hopes either, but I'm not sure I ever saw the movie.
Old 01-13-17, 12:19 AM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Oh Jesus - I effed up "She Cries" more than once - the most trouble I've ever had remembering a song after 30+ years of singing. And that is a Man 2 song - they must have futzed with who did what. We swapped two of the women's songs too.

And The Bodyguard was just bad. A jukebox musical where only the star sings (with one other person 2-3 times and the ensemble 1-2 times). Whitney song, scene with no music, Whitney song, scene with no music, etc. It has the same problem Mamma Mia and All Shook Up have, because they are stuck with one artist's catalog so they have to force the songs to fit the story even when they really don't. Rock of Ages gets around this because they can pick songs from multiple artists to fit. No strange thing that is the show I like far better than those others.

Overacting, bad acting, marginal singing, some RIDICULOUS stage moments. It's just a train wreck.
Old 01-26-17, 11:49 PM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Oh Jesus - I effed up "She Cries" more than once - the most trouble I've ever had remembering a song after 30+ years of singing. And that is a Man 2 song - they must have futzed with who did what. We swapped two of the women's songs too.

And The Bodyguard was just bad. A jukebox musical where only the star sings (with one other person 2-3 times and the ensemble 1-2 times). Whitney song, scene with no music, Whitney song, scene with no music, etc. It has the same problem Mamma Mia and All Shook Up have, because they are stuck with one artist's catalog so they have to force the songs to fit the story even when they really don't. Rock of Ages gets around this because they can pick songs from multiple artists to fit. No strange thing that is the show I like far better than those others.

Overacting, bad acting, marginal singing, some RIDICULOUS stage moments. It's just a train wreck.
It's entirely possible that they switched and I didn't notice. I can't tell the guys apart that well on the cast recording. The guy just stood there, lips firmly pressed together, shaking his head, till he hit the chorus with "She cries!" and was back on track.

I'm looking forward to The Bodyguard! #alternativefacts
Old 01-27-17, 12:01 AM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Saw seven-months-pregnant Megan Hilty with the Seattle Symphony. Funny and very good.

Saw the touring production of Finding Neverland and really liked it. I haven't seen the movie, but it was fun and charming.

Saw a local high school production of Sense and Sensibility. During the final few minutes, the lead actress (the Emma Thompson role) was talking to the colonel with her back to him, and she had her hand up to her face. Turns out she had a nosebleed! So the second lead (the Kate Winslet role) ran offstage and grabbed her a Kleenex, and they finished the show. You never know what will happen in live theatre!
Old 01-27-17, 12:25 AM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

Heading to NYC in June. Looking to hit up a couple of Broadway shows.
Bought tix for the family to see Dear Evan Hansen (after reading a glowing write up in EW and discovering the music was done by the songwriters of La La Land). $200 per ticket = Ouch!
Still think we should go to one more new show with original cast. Thinking about maybe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Groundhog Day with the kids or War Paint (would LOVE to see Patty Lupone in a show) with just the Mrs. None of those shows have yet to open and I feel unwilling to commit $800 to see a show unless I have a pretty good indication that it is really good.
I might just grab day-of, half priced tickets, but I don't want to see something on Broadway that I've already seen in Vegas. We get all the touring shows and they're only $129 for the best seats in the house.
Old 01-27-17, 12:55 AM   #91
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Heading to NYC in June. Looking to hit up a couple of Broadway shows.
Bought tix for the family to see Dear Evan Hansen (after reading a glowing write up in EW and discovering the music was done by the songwriters of La La Land). $200 per ticket = Ouch!
Still think we should go to one more new show with original cast. Thinking about maybe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Groundhog Day with the kids or War Paint (would LOVE to see Patty Lupone in a show) with just the Mrs. None of those shows have yet to open and I feel unwilling to commit $800 to see a show unless I have a pretty good indication that it is really good.
I might just grab day-of, half priced tickets, but I don't want to see something on Broadway that I've already seen in Vegas. We get all the touring shows and they're only $129 for the best seats in the house.
That's the thing. I see nearly all the touring productions in Seattle so during the rare times I go to NYC, I try to see something special, like a big cast member or a show that hasn't yet been announced for tour. We saw She Loves Me last year, then it ended up being both a Broadway HD live stream and a Fathom event! I'm still glad we went, though, because we saw Zachary Levi and Jane Krakowski, and I took a picture of my kids with Gavin Creel, who's in the Eloise at Christmastime movie they watch every year.
Old 02-02-17, 10:04 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Wicked.

Didn't like it.

Songs were forgettable and the story didn't make any sense to me.
Old 02-24-17, 11:57 AM   #93
DVD Talk Hero

Recent shows:

The King and I touring production: One of the more lavish touring productions I've seen, with elaborate sets including a rideable boat in the opening scene that then split in the middle to allow the characters to disembark via an internal staircase. Some laughing moments when the king talked about building a fence around the country, accusions of lies and broken promises, etc.

Little Women, community theatre: A show I've never seen before (just the Winona Ryder movie), and it was nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it.

Newsies Fathom event: This was so good I saw it twice. Jeremy Jordan and Kara Lindsay from the original cast returned for this filming last November, and the production values were high--even the rapid cutting in big dance scenes seemed to work. I've seen the show twice on stage and really liked it, especially the dancing. I missed the movie when it first came out and only caught up to it a few years ago on DVD.

The Pajama Game, major local theatre: Oddly, I don't think I'd ever seen this show before. The story is pretty dated, but they played it up as a period piece (and it involves a labor strike like Newsies). I know the big songs like "Hey There," "Steam Heat," and "Hernando's Hideaway," of course. This is the major local theatre in town (the other one hosts most of the touring productions) that originally produced Hairspray, Aladdin, and a number of other shows that went on to Broadway, and it tends to reuse a lot of the same actors, but the male lead here was Josh Davis, who was great. I guess he has some significant Broadway credits including the original cast of the Carole King musical.
Old 02-24-17, 05:55 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Do comedians count? It was live on stage.

We saw Ron White in January and he was very good.

Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 390 BR titles, 15 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 70 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 02-24-17, 07:35 PM   #95

'Last Train to Nibroc' - wasn't all that impressed. The ending had some technical flubs that were embarrassing.
Old 02-24-17, 10:03 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Chicago on Broadway last month
Old 03-02-17, 11:03 AM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Newsies is coming back to theaters on March 4. I like how they offer these extra showings in case people couldn't make it before (less so for Newsies, which ran three different days, than something like Allegiance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Do comedians count? It was live on stage.
No rules in this thread!
Old 03-02-17, 11:11 AM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw a stage production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show this past weekend, who were performing in front of the movie being played.
Old 03-02-17, 11:15 AM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I saw a stage production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show this past weekend, who were performing in front of the movie being played.
Like lip-syncing to the movie?
Old 03-02-17, 01:31 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

My last two stage shows were Beauty and the Beast and Phantom of the Opera last year.