Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-12-16, 11:09 AM   #51
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Last stage show you attended?

Book of Mormon last year.
Old 06-16-16, 01:27 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

This is very cool. I saw this show in NYC in April, and really enjoyed it. I got an e-mail notification two hours prior that Laura Benanti wasn't appearing , but everyone else was there. Zachary Levi was vocally tested in some spots, but very charming, and Krakowski, Gavin Creel, and the rest of the cast were great. The set was notable too, like a sparking European jewelry box, and the choreography was mostly simple but fun. The show has long been a favorite of mine so when I heard about the revival, I planned a trip that included the show. Also, my kids always watch Eloise at Christmastime so Creel let me take his picture with them.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-stream-903040

Quote:
'She Loves Me' to Become First Broadway Show to Stream Live Online
8:00 AM PDT 6/15/2016 by Ashley Lee

She Loves Me, the hit musical-comedy revival starring Laura Benanti, Zachary Levi and Jane Krakowski, will be broadcast live on Thursday, June 30, at 8 p.m. ET.

Directed by Scott Ellis and choreographed by Warren Carlyle, She Loves Me follows quarreling 1930s perfume-counter clerks who are unaware that they are each other's anonymous romantic pen pals. Nominated for eight Tony Awards — and taking home the prize for David Rockwell's scenic design — the Roundabout Theatre Company's limited engagement runs through July 10 at Studio 54.

The live stream is being presented by online theater streaming service BroadwayHD and will be produced in association with Ellen M. Krass, who recently saw the show and made it her mission to film it. Though Roundabout's Todd Haimes never imagined the project would actually materialize due to funding, “The fact that, 20 years from now, people can view this magnificent piece of work in HD quality is so profoundly important to me,” he said.

To watch the show, viewers can reserve a live stream pass online for $9.99, or watch for free as part of an annual subscription to BroadwayHD’s on-demand library, available on its Roku and Apple TV apps. After the live stream date, the broadcast will be added to the on-demand library, which currently boasts more than 150 titles.

In a moment of high Broadway ticket prices — which are already tough to buy for some shows, thanks to automated "ticket bots" — BroadwayHD’s breakthrough live stream “allows people who can’t afford to buy a full-price ticket to experience Broadway,” co-founders Stewart F. Lane and Bonnie Comley tell The Hollywood Reporter. “BroadwayHD is about providing access to those tickets, because not everyone is in New York. We want to expand the reach of the show outside the physical Broadway theater.”

Previously, the platform live-streamed a behind-the-scenes show during Sunday’s Tony Awards, as well as off-Broadway productions of the New Group’s Buried Child and Signature Theatre’s Old Hats. It aims to live-stream more Broadway shows in the future, including a production’s opening night.

She Loves Me's live stream will be the culmination of a particularly digital-friendly Broadway season, which also included Waitress' score primer via Sara Bareilles' live-streamed concert, music videos from the casts of The Color Purple and School of Rock — The Musical (the latter in YouTube's new 360-degree format) and Hamilton's #Ham4Ham concerts for lottery hopefuls.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-16-16, 01:43 PM   #53
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I tried to get tickets to Hamilton when they opened up another 4 months on Sunday night. failed miserably, despite having tickets in my cart, ready to check out. I'm going to try to get tickets to the same show in Chicago. Totally different cast, but I just want to see it live. I'm expecting the ticket-buying process to be just as shitty, though.
Old 06-16-16, 01:45 PM   #54
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I tried to get tickets to Hamilton when they opened up another 4 months on Sunday night. failed miserably, despite having tickets in my cart, ready to check out. I'm going to try to get tickets to the same show in Chicago. Totally different cast, but I just want to see it live. I'm expecting the ticket-buying process to be just as shitty, though.
I failed too. I have tickets for this September that were MUCH easier to get. I guess the word is out--used to be no problem as long as you were online as soon as the tickets were released.
Old 06-16-16, 01:49 PM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

Ha! My wife and daughter went to see Assassins as well. I passed but then they filled me in on what it was about and I said "now you tell me! I would have gone!"

The last show I've seen was my daughter's high school performance of "Big Fish". High school musical theater is really big in our area. They even have a Tony Award-like televised show for the high school musicals.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 06-16-16, 01:51 PM   #56
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I failed too. I have tickets for this September that were MUCH easier to get. I guess the word is out--used to be no problem as long as you were online as soon as the tickets were released.
Definitely. The hype is absurd. Worst-case, I don't get to see it until late 2017 when it comes to Houston. Really hoping I don't have to wait that long, though. A trip to Chicago would be great.

Oh, and reseller tickets for Lin-Manuel Miranda's last show in July? $3k to $10k. each. These are tickets that sold at face value for $200 tops.
Honestly, I think that his departure will have SOME effect on scalper prices.
Old 06-16-16, 01:55 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

I saw Les Miserables on Broadway last year. Still probably my favorite show ever.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 06-30-16, 10:19 AM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

This event happens tonight, though I probably won't watch it live. It'll be on demand for $9.99, or as part of an annual subscription. I would've been interested in a $14.99 monthly subscription, but She Loves Me won't be included in that, and there aren't enough musicals to get me to pay for annual. It's also a bit annoying because I don't have Roku or Apple TV so I'll probably try to run a laptop into my TV, or possibly use a browser on one of my consoles.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-stream-903040

Quote:
'She Loves Me' to Become First Broadway Show to Stream Live Online
8:00 AM PDT 6/15/2016 by Ashley Lee

She Loves Me, the hit musical-comedy revival starring Laura Benanti, Zachary Levi and Jane Krakowski, will be broadcast live on Thursday, June 30, at 8 p.m. ET.

Directed by Scott Ellis and choreographed by Warren Carlyle, She Loves Me follows quarreling 1930s perfume-counter clerks who are unaware that they are each other's anonymous romantic pen pals. Nominated for eight Tony Awards — and taking home the prize for David Rockwell's scenic design — the Roundabout Theatre Company's limited engagement runs through July 10 at Studio 54.

The live stream is being presented by online theater streaming service BroadwayHD and will be produced in association with Ellen M. Krass, who recently saw the show and made it her mission to film it. Though Roundabout's Todd Haimes never imagined the project would actually materialize due to funding, “The fact that, 20 years from now, people can view this magnificent piece of work in HD quality is so profoundly important to me,” he said.

To watch the show, viewers can reserve a live stream pass online for $9.99, or watch for free as part of an annual subscription to BroadwayHD’s on-demand library, available on its Roku and Apple TV apps. After the live stream date, the broadcast will be added to the on-demand library, which currently boasts more than 150 titles.

In a moment of high Broadway ticket prices — which are already tough to buy for some shows, thanks to automated "ticket bots" — BroadwayHD’s breakthrough live stream “allows people who can’t afford to buy a full-price ticket to experience Broadway,” co-founders Stewart F. Lane and Bonnie Comley tell The Hollywood Reporter. “BroadwayHD is about providing access to those tickets, because not everyone is in New York. We want to expand the reach of the show outside the physical Broadway theater.”

Previously, the platform live-streamed a behind-the-scenes show during Sunday’s Tony Awards, as well as off-Broadway productions of the New Group’s Buried Child and Signature Theatre’s Old Hats. It aims to live-stream more Broadway shows in the future, including a production’s opening night.

She Loves Me's live stream will be the culmination of a particularly digital-friendly Broadway season, which also included Waitress' score primer via Sara Bareilles' live-streamed concert, music videos from the casts of The Color Purple and School of Rock — The Musical (the latter in YouTube's new 360-degree format) and Hamilton's #Ham4Ham concerts for lottery hopefuls.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-08-16, 10:33 AM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

The She Loves Me stream on Broadway HD has been extended through July 10, the last day of the show's run. I watched it last night via $9.99 a la carte pricing and really enjoyed it. For something that was apparently edited on the fly, I thought it was very watchable, and a good representation of the show I saw on stage. Because it was recorded live, it has big chunks of dead time for pre-show and intermission. Supposedly it will be edited down after it's pulled from the service. What I'm waiting to see is if my purchase will still be valid after editing. I assume so, and I'd be annoyed if it wasn't, but it won't kill me to have spent $9.99 to watch it. I probably would rebuy it, but I can just wait to see if I feel like watching it again.
Old 07-08-16, 11:39 AM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw Book of Mormon with my fiance on Wednesday. It was great. Amazed at how many people brought children to the show. We watched a family of 4 in front of us leave before the first half was over.

My DVD Collection

XBL-Ohcrapifell
Old 07-13-16, 07:40 PM   #61
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched Wicked for the 4th time last night, good as usual. The actress who played Glinda was especially good this time around.
PSN ID: ButrzRulz
Old 07-13-16, 07:54 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier View Post
Saw Book of Mormon with my fiance on Wednesday. It was great. Amazed at how many people brought children to the show. We watched a family of 4 in front of us leave before the first half was over.
I bet Mormon families attend without knowing what it's about. But I have one Mormon friend who thought it was hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Watched Wicked for the 4th time last night, good as usual. The actress who played Glinda was especially good this time around.
Do you remember her name? Wicked seems to be a training ground for people to go on to other things so maybe I'll see her on tour in something else at some point.
Old 07-14-16, 07:23 AM   #63
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I bet Mormon families attend without knowing what it's about. But I have one Mormon friend who thought it was hilarious.
What I found funny was the second time the national tour came around in Houston, the Mormon Church had an ad on almost every other page in the Playbill that said something to the effect of: "You've seen the show, now learn about the real Book of Mormon". Each page with a smiling full face picture of a church "member".

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Do you remember her name? Wicked seems to be a training ground for people to go on to other things so maybe I'll see her on tour in something else at some point.
Amanda Jane Cooper, she just had a fun energy that I don't recall other actresses in that role having.
Old 09-03-16, 01:28 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hero

Motown the Musical: Great music, of course, but the plot was pretty thin and reminded me of a less-interesting Dreamgirls.

A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder: Fun show with a great plot. The music was good but different--kind of reminded me of old music-hall fare, and it didn't stick with me.

Bonnie and Clyde: This played on Broadway with Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan, with music by Frank Wildhorn and lyrics by Don Black, but didn't last long despite the star power. This was put on by a new Seattle company and produced by a 19-year-old I know. There's another small company in town run by high school/college-age kids who write their own musicals, which is awesome, but with raw material and a cast of their peers (including said 19-year-old), the shows tend to be a little rough, so I figured Bonnie and Clyde would be the same. Surprisingly, it was a solid, professional production with experienced, professional actors. The show was entertaining too, with a few songs that got stuck in my head, though I haven't purchased the cast recording.

Songs for a New World: This is a Jason Robert Brown score I've always loved, but I only saw a high school production so I couldn't miss this one. I went with the family, then one of my kids asked if we could see it again, so the two of us went. Then they all left town and I was looking for things to do, so I saw it again. The reason was the first couple times I saw the "Moon" cast, while the third time was the "Stars" cast. I much preferred the Moon cast, so when a couple friends were going to see that one, I went for a fourth time. The songs are great, and there's no plot to speak of, just certain themes and arcs so I wasn't bored going back. I think Draven's company is producing this one soon!

Oliver!: A free outdoor production that was well done, but I've seen Oliver a number of times, and watching it from a mile away after seeing Songs for a New World in a small, intimate theatre... yeah, I just wasn't feeling this one.
Old 09-21-16, 09:22 AM   #65
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to a performance of In the Heights last night. I had no idea what the show was about (all of our original shows for this new season were changed when the artistic director for this series left, it was originally going to be Grease). But, it was really enjoyable.
Old 09-21-16, 09:25 AM   #66
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ Nice! I wanted to go to that, but couldn't make it work out.

But I am seeing Hamilton (in Chicago) next week!
(from the same guy who created In The Heights, if you weren't aware)
Old 09-21-16, 10:39 AM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

I still haven't seen Hamilton but loved In the Heights (which I always try to call "Into the Heights" ).
Old 10-25-16, 11:39 AM   #68
DVD Talk Hero

She Loves Me is going to be a Fathom event on December 1. Allegiance is on December 13.

Did anyone see "Hamilton's America" on PBS? I haven't seen the show, but I thought the documentary was good, and the historical stuff was interesting.

Back on topic: The last stage show I saw was Working. I've seen the TV version on a Broadway Archive DVD, but this one had new songs by Stephen Schwartz and Lin-Manuel Miranda (so of course the local theatre company was pushing the Wicked and Hamilton connections), which were some of the best songs in the show. Of course there are various others, including James Taylor and Mary Rodgers. It's a series of vignettes, some sung and some not, taken from Studs Terkel's interviews with working-class folks. Interesting, but not something I need to see again any time soon.
Old 10-25-16, 12:49 PM   #69
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last show for me was Something Rotten about a month ago. It was really great--surprised how much I enjoyed it since I mostly went because my kids were interested in it. Adam Pascal is going to play Shakespeare next month, and I think its run is ending soon. Very worth it if you like Shakespeare or musical theater.

Have tickets to see The Great Comet of 1812 in November. Don't know anything about it, but seemed like a good bet.

My kids went to see Sleep No More. They absolutely raved about it, but it sounds too creepy for my tastes.

Btw, I scalped my Hamilton tickets. I've been living in Manhattan the past 5 weeks and entering the lottery for it every day, but no luck.
Old 10-25-16, 01:09 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
My kids went to see Sleep No More. They absolutely raved about it, but it sounds too creepy for my tastes.
Go see it! Don't worry, it isn't too creepy, maybe a bit unnerving at times, but it is an unforgettable experience, I loved it.
Old 10-25-16, 01:58 PM   #71
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Hamilton's America was a really good doc, but I wish it was longer. If you enjoyed that, definitely check out the original Broadway cast recording. The show is absurdly good.
The book, Hamilton: The Revolution, does a really fantastic job of laying out all the lyrics and what their significance is. For such a dense subject, the ability of the show to make it accessible is kind of crazy.

tasha99, I can't believe you scalped your tickets, but I bet you got a pretty penny for them!
Old 10-25-16, 02:26 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Book of Mormon last February, and thought it was amusing but vastly overrated.

We're seeing The Front Page on Broadway in two weeks. Nathan Lane, John Goodman, John Slattery... can't wait!
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 10-26-16, 10:51 AM   #73
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw Hamilton about 2 weeks ago in Chicago. Given the hype and the crazy ticket prices, I thought I would be let down. I was not. It was really incredible! Going back in February, but with not as good seats at the first time, main floor 8 rows back, center of the row.

Going to see Fun Home in about 2 weeks.

Comics
Old 01-10-17, 06:01 PM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

Hamilton is coming to Seattle in 2017-18 so now everyone is debating whether to buy season tickets. I'm already a subscriber so people are asking if they can use my extra tickets.

Holiday Inn will be the next Broadway HD event on January 14, and Allegiance returns to Fathom events on Feb. 19. I saw Allegiance in December and thought it was moving, as my mom was interned at Manzanar back in the day. The score was nothing amazing, but it served the purpose, and the cast was good. I guess some people have complained about accuracy, but to me it's a fictional depiction so I don't mind.

The Newsies musical will also be on Fathom on Feb 16, 18, and 22. I've seen it on stage at least twice and am always blown away by the dancing.
Old 01-10-17, 06:21 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huh, I thought I posted about The Great Comet of 1812, but I guess I didn't. Went a few weeks ago but we left at intermission. I liked the music, but the lighting was too strobe lightish for me. And my boyfriend was bored to tears--he announced he'd wait at a bar for me so I could see the end, but I couldn't see splitting up on our night out, so we left together.