DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-04-16, 07:24 PM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Last stage show you attended?

Absinthe in Las Vegas. Incredibly off color, incredibly bad seating, but just funny as hell.

Shortly after that, Book of Mormon .. also very off color, much better seating though
Old 04-04-16, 09:43 PM   #27
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Tour of 42nd Street this year ... not really my cup of tea but was playing locally so gave it a shot. Saw Book of Mormon and Lion King in London last year ... seeing BoM again in a few weeks when the tour stops by. Most unique thing I saw was One Man Breaking Bad which was pretty funny.
Old 04-13-16, 08:18 AM   #28
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Took in Cabaret and Oliver in the last month. Was a little disappointed with Oliver as I felt the lead lacked presence, but after reading the program realized it was handled by a local actor from a local theater school/program. While I have no problem with chorus/background roles being played by inexperienced locals, the lead really should be a pro (IMO).
PSN ID: ButrzRulz
Old 05-05-16, 11:20 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Just saw Newsies locally after seeing it in Boston last year, and I think the touring company was the same--I'd have to compare the programs to be sure but some of the faces looked familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Took in Cabaret and Oliver in the last month. Was a little disappointed with Oliver as I felt the lead lacked presence, but after reading the program realized it was handled by a local actor from a local theater school/program. While I have no problem with chorus/background roles being played by inexperienced locals, the lead really should be a pro (IMO).
I'd generally agree but can see that happening with a kid role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Oddly (and I was surprised when I saw the show in NYC as well), there is no music from the movie in the show. Alan Menken wrote the music (of Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Little Shop of Horrors fame, just to name a few) and it's pretty great. I had the idea to team up with a local gospel choir for the production too, which should be fun.
Hmm, that's interesting, but it seems like I've seen that happen before. Rights would be less complicated, for one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Here's a 360 video I shot of our rehearsal last night - you can see me conducting in this one. Embedding seems to break the 360 functionality so just go here if you want to see it
That's cool--I don't think I've seen a 360 video before. I was watching and not seeing you, then I saw the directional arrows and figured it out. I just liked your theatre's Facebook page so I can stay updated.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-05-16, 12:28 PM   #30
DVD Talk Godfather

Back in Oct 2015 we saw the opera "UCarmen" based on the film "U-Carmen eKhayelitsha" performed by the Isango Ensemble from South Africa. https://youtu.be/RnxEjrhfi-8

This was the second time seeing The Isango Ensemble. The previous year they performed "The Magic Flute".
https://youtu.be/G2am6PD7rbw
Old 05-05-16, 01:25 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty fortunate in that there are a lot of stage options here in Bloomington. Besides the touring acts that come through and the professional company that's based here, there are several series (theatre, opera, music) produced by IU so their students who are studying theater, opera, and music will have something to do before they graduate and go to work as baristas to pay off their loans.

Of the touring productions, I saw 1776 and Sweeney Todd earlier this season (last fall). Todd was phenomenal, I knew virtually nothing about it and was hooked when the performers played their own instruments during the musical numbers.

King Lear opens tonight at IU, but I'm giving campus a wide berth this weekend because it's graduation. Perhaps next time. I'll probably catch As You Like It during the upcoming summer festival.
Old 05-05-16, 09:01 PM   #32
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw my alma mater's production of Oklahoma!. I'm not much of a fan of musicals, but this one was pretty good. I wouldn't have seen it at all except that, with such a large cast, the university had to have open auditions for some of the parts, and a co-worker ended up playing Gertie. So, I went...and I enjoyed.
My blogs: Psychotronica Redux / Unpopular Culture
Old 05-06-16, 07:04 AM   #33
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw Beauty and the Beast last week. Really enjoyed it. Up next for us is Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.
Old 05-06-16, 07:12 AM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
That's cool--I don't think I've seen a 360 video before. I was watching and not seeing you, then I saw the directional arrows and figured it out. I just liked your theatre's Facebook page so I can stay updated.
Well thank you! We're getting great reviews on our show and it's been going well. Nice when the critics like it.
Old 05-06-16, 08:16 AM   #35
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally saw Fuerza Bruta. Recommended!

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 05-06-16, 08:16 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

A community college production of The Tempest, back in 2000.
Old 05-06-16, 04:07 PM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am flying into NYC on May 16 (Monday I know many are dark) and would love to see a good show that hasn't really hit the roadshow circuits yet...AND that I can get a ticket to.

Recommendations?
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 05-06-16, 04:18 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I am flying into NYC on May 16 (Monday I know many are dark) and would love to see a good show that hasn't really hit the roadshow circuits yet...AND that I can get a ticket to.

Recommendations?
If you're looking at something new (not a revival), I'd suggest first looking at Fun Home and Something Rotten.

I saw the She Loves Me revival last month and need to report on that here someday.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-06-16, 05:27 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Steve Martin/Martin Short last month in Boston. Really awesome. They did a mix of stand-up, skits, stories from their careers, and musical numbers (with Martin's bluegrass band).
Old 05-06-16, 05:33 PM   #40
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
If you're looking at something new (not a revival), I'd suggest first looking at Fun Home and Something Rotten.

I saw the She Loves Me revival last month and need to report on that here someday.
Thanks! Will check it out...
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 05-06-16, 07:28 PM   #41
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just saw the new national tour of Phantom of the Opera in Indy last night and it is a neat version of the show with updated set design and staging ... very enjoyable.
Old 05-06-16, 08:06 PM   #42
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of a loaded question for me as I'm fairly involved in the local theatre community, I'm on the board of a local theatre. We do all brand new original scripts, so you guys wouldn't know them.

Most recent local productions I've seen that weren't brand new pieces:

Psycho Beach Party, 4 By Tenn (4 Tennessee Williams one acts), Poe, Killer Joe, Sylvia, Crimes of the Heart, Rumors, Sordid Lives, Hay Fever, Clybourne Park and a few others I'm forgetting.

On Broadway I've recently seen Hand To God, Something Rotten, The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time, Once, and Rocky. Also saw a bunch of off Broadway stuff last summer including Saved By The Bell The Musical, Puppet Titus Andronicus, and a few more.

Oh, and every year at the Orlando Fringe Festival I see about 20-25 shows, the next one starts in a couple weeks.

In the last year and a half I've also been in productions of A Christmas Carol, The Grapes of Wrath, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Orpheus Descending and just started rehearsals for It's Only a Play.
Old 05-07-16, 01:23 AM   #43
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just came back from the production of Rocky Horror I mentioned earlier in this thread. Had to see it before it closes tomorrow. Since I now know how to actually embed Youtube videos, here's the trailer:

There was audience participation, naturally, but often the characters would heckle back. They even incorporated some of the standard audience gags into the show itself, like when Brad asked Frank N. Furter to use the phone, Furter snapped at him "Castles don't have phones, asshole!"

One technical glitch, during Hot Patootie. Columbia (who was a real cutie) handed Eddie a guitar. It was not a prop guitar, and included a wireless rig. She also handed him a pick, so it was clear he was going to play it for real. But for the first few bars of the solo, there basically was no solo, until the guitarist from the actual band took over and Eddie merely mimed it. But that's kind of the fun of live theatre, knowing something can go wrong at any time, and the actors have to work around it.
Old 05-07-16, 11:10 AM   #44
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Evil Dead: The Musical in 2010
Old 06-05-16, 09:25 AM   #45
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't see anything official, but on another forum, people were saying the next block of Hamilton tickets will get released June 12 at 8 pm (during the Tony Awards). Is it true? Not sure, but worth checking on.
Old 06-05-16, 10:33 AM   #46
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll certainly give it a shot. My daughter turns 18 in August and I know the one thing she'd like more than anything in the world is to go see Hamilton, even if it's after LMM leaves.
Old 06-05-16, 11:21 AM   #47
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
I'll certainly give it a shot. My daughter turns 18 in August and I know the one thing she'd like more than anything in the world is to go see Hamilton, even if it's after LMM leaves.
I think the block going up will be for 2017 (Jan or Feb --May). But you could get them and go later; something to look forward to.
Old 06-06-16, 08:34 AM   #48
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We caught Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. What a great show! We had no idea how many hits she composed for other artists before she hit it big with Tapestry.
Old 06-08-16, 11:58 AM   #49
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I think the block going up will be for 2017 (Jan or Feb --May). But you could get them and go later; something to look forward to.
Yes, mid January through May 31 goes on sale Sunday night at 11:10pm. You can see the info up on the Ticketmaster site.
Old 06-10-16, 10:55 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Saw The Phantom on Broadway a couple of nights ago. Did not win the Hamilton lottery during my time there.