Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-23-16, 02:34 PM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Winterpocalypse 2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Never understood why people stockpile anything. Don't you have anything to eat at home for the next 24 hours? I'm sure pretty much everyone could survive a week with what they have on hand.
Because the media hype tells them to.
Old 01-23-16, 03:13 PM   #52
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would assume stocking up on water would be a 'just in case' water pipes freeze.
Old 01-23-16, 03:50 PM   #53

I just spent 2 1/2 hours with my snowblower struggling to deal with this stuff. There is a very nice lady in a flag-lot behind our house and her driveway is 150' long. I was trying to clear her driveway, but could literally only move a few inches at a time or the slowthrower chute would clog.

I actually got most of her driveway done, but finally had to declare defeat. I didn't even clear my own driveway.

And its still snowing.
Old 01-23-16, 05:35 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

How many kids will be born on the east coast in late October?
Old 01-23-16, 06:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
How many kids will be born on the east coast in late October?
Hmm.... I have a six year old son. His birthday is October 25th.

Last edited by Kevin Phillips; 01-23-16 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 07:54 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
He's probably inside complaining to the grandkids about the lazy neighbor
Just went and shoveled his sidewalk and stoop in the dark. He'll wake up tomorrow morning and the guilt will be on his shoulders. That'll show the old bastard!

Seems like our total in downtown DC is only about 20" and may not go up much more over night. I believe the record is 28", so I don't think there is any danger of it being broken.
Old 01-23-16, 08:06 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
If you live in this area, one that gets snow and ice, yet you slip and slide every time, why the fuck do you not have tire chains!!!!
I've lived in Chicago for all of my 41 years.

I've never seen a tire chain in my life.
Old 01-23-16, 08:17 PM   #58
DVD Talk Ruler

Was 77 today and sunny here. They did, however, bring in some truckloads of snow from some mountains and dumped it in a park so the kids could have a bit of a winter.
Old 01-23-16, 08:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Can someone answer me this.

If you live in this area, one that gets snow and ice, yet you slip and slide every time, why the fuck do you not have tire chains!!!!
I swear. Every time I see the news reporting on weather conditions like this, I always see footage of cars going nowhere, but spinning their wheels as if they hope to wear down the ice and eventually grip the road.
Are East Coast drivers to proud to put tire chains on when they know damn well the situation?

I also have to comment on those stuck on roadways. Why the fuck did you go out knowing a 'Day After Tomorrow' was happening
Again. Too proud? Stay the fuck inside. Leave work early to avoid it.
Let me first ask you if you have ever used snow chains, or been in an area where you think their use was merited? If so, you wouldn't be asking.

To answer, they are an incredible pain in the ass to put on, your car will drive terribly with them on, and you have to take them off when you get on clear road, which will happen quickly in areas that regularly get decent amounts of snow.

And to echo GuessWho, I live in an area that averages about 100" of snow each year. It has been decently more most years. I never see people using them.
Old 01-23-16, 08:23 PM   #60
Premium Member

Quote:
Of course the media over hypes and shows you the extremes - those are the exceptions. Most people handle it just fine. Chains are pain in the ass to put on, hard to drive with, and tear up the roads. I haven't seen any in use since the 70s, back when people used to change out for snow tires in the winter too.
Old 01-23-16, 08:45 PM   #61
DVD Talk Special Edition

Over 30" of snow today. Most on record since 1922. What is odd is 4 out the top 5 snowfalls have been since 2000, and 3 since 2010.
Old 01-23-16, 09:13 PM   #62
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, I've used snow chains before. Many times. Despite living in SoCal, we do have areas that get 'black ice' and they are not only needed, but required otherwise we can not pass through.
Just a few weeks ago when that El Nino storm hit, it dumped a really good amount of snow in the local mountains and they would not allow any vehicles in the area drive without snow chains.
A few decided they didnt need them and ended up in ditches because they slipped off the road due to ice.

The amount of news video I see of cars and trucks, slipping and sliding, I think it is perhaps a good idea instead of slamming into each other like bumper cars. But that's just me
Old 01-23-16, 09:31 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I swear. Every time I see the news reporting on weather conditions like this, I always see footage of cars going nowhere, but spinning their wheels as if they hope to wear down the ice and eventually grip the road.
Are East Coast drivers to proud to put tire chains on when they know damn well the situation?
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but in many places tire chains are not legal. I sure can't use them in Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Never understood why people stockpile anything. Don't you have anything to eat at home for the next 24 hours? I'm sure pretty much everyone could survive a week with what they have on hand.
Yeah, this I don't get that either. If the shit really hit the fan, I'm sure we could live on what we currently have in our house for at least a month or two, with careful rationing. Especially with a snow storm, free water!
Old 01-23-16, 10:09 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but in many places tire chains are not legal. I sure can't use them in Ontario.

Yeah, this I don't get that either. If the shit really hit the fan, I'm sure we could live on what we currently have in our house for at least a month or two, with careful rationing. Especially with a snow storm, free water!
And in the event you do run out of food, there's always Cannibalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 01-24-16, 07:25 AM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yes, I've used snow chains before. Many times. Despite living in SoCal, we do have areas that get 'black ice' and they are not only needed, but required otherwise we can not pass through.
Just a few weeks ago when that El Nino storm hit, it dumped a really good amount of snow in the local mountains and they would not allow any vehicles in the area drive without snow chains.
A few decided they didnt need them and ended up in ditches because they slipped off the road due to ice.

The amount of news video I see of cars and trucks, slipping and sliding, I think it is perhaps a good idea instead of slamming into each other like bumper cars. But that's just me
surely you can see the difference between using snow chains in a mountain area and down 5th avenue in NYC, no?
Old 01-24-16, 07:58 AM   #66
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
Over 30" of snow today. Most on record since 1922. What is odd is 4 out the top 5 snowfalls have been since 2000, and 3 since 2010.
Anyone who owns a high-end home snowblower like the Toro Power Max HD models is going to be waved a lot of money to clear out the snow. The Middle Atlantic states got dumped with an average of over 20" of snow.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 01-24-16, 08:18 AM   #67
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
Anyone who owns a high-end home snowblower like the Toro Power Max HD models is going to be waved a lot of money to clear out the snow.
I read this 3 times and I have no idea what it means.
Old 01-24-16, 08:31 AM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevt View Post
I read this 3 times and I have no idea what it means.
Old 01-24-16, 08:58 AM   #69
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
It's interesting how the news doesn't make much fun of people stockpiling groceries and continually implies "IT REALLY REALLY COULD GET POSSIBLY BAD!!!!", and the newscasters actually encourage stockpiling when this storm is going to last maybe a few days and into Monday...but then warm up, producing typical flood situations.
Americans eat a lot of food, more of it if they are stuck inside near it 24/7, more still when they actually perform some physical exercise and burn an additional 1,000 calories.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 01-24-16, 09:01 AM   #70
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
surely you can see the difference between using snow chains in a mountain area and down 5th avenue in NYC, no?
I think the idea of snow chains is probably foreign to most people who have never lived in mountains. I am aware of them but would have no idea where to buy them here.

Plenty of cars on the road yesterday after the NYC travel ban. We had to push out a cop car. The sanitation trucks which are doing the plowing all have chains.

The trouble only comes out in intersections because you'll have all the snow from the street pushed out into the avenue (or vice-versa). When we were walking around yesterday we saw a few intersections that had 1' or 2' of snow piled directly on the road (you could go straight through it N/S but not E/W).

It'll be fine in a few hours.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 01-24-16, 09:03 AM   #71
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
We could do a week, max. We're usually in the grocery store every 2–3 days.

We don't have a pantry so we have maybe 4 cans of canned goods.

Old 01-24-16, 09:05 AM   #72
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

Driving up to SLC from Kanab we saw a car ignore the black ice on the road (on a mountain, on a curve) and spin twice, missing the truck in the other lane and the cliff. It ended up in a ditch.

It's not that people don't know how to drive in snow or ice. That person knew how. It's that they can't stop from driving like ridiculous assholes.

Old 01-24-16, 09:58 AM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Breaking records

For three cities — Baltimore (29.2), Allentown (31.9), and Harrisburg, Pa. (34), — it was their biggest snowstorm ever recorded.
The storm marked the first time a single storm dumped over two feet on Baltimore and New York City.
The top snowfall total from the storm was 40.5 inches in Shepherdstown, W.Va., the weather service reported. Many locations across mountainous portions of West Virginia, Maryland and Virginia topped 3 feet.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...know/79259422/

When I was growing up and shoveling my parents' driveway, I counted a storm dropping over 30 inches as a huge snowfall. I only saw it a few times in my life. So, I'm impressed.
Old 01-24-16, 10:04 AM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

They are used mostly in the mountains. I think most "flatlander" states outlaw them due to road damage. I used to use studded snow tires when those were legal, but many states have banned them too, for road damage.

4WD or AWD, drive moderately, avoid roads with substantial slopes.
Old 01-24-16, 10:12 AM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I think the idea of snow chains is probably foreign to most people who have never lived in mountains. I am aware of them but would have no idea where to buy them here.

Plenty of cars on the road yesterday after the NYC travel ban. We had to push out a cop car. The sanitation trucks which are doing the plowing all have chains.

The trouble only comes out in intersections because you'll have all the snow from the street pushed out into the avenue (or vice-versa). When we were walking around yesterday we saw a few intersections that had 1' or 2' of snow piled directly on the road (you could go straight through it N/S but not E/W).

It'll be fine in a few hours.
Chains outside of mountain areas are generally for when it's so bad most cars shouldn't be out. I used them a few years ago to get through a mountain pass, and then kept them on for the drive up to Portland. Yes, I was on a highway going only 30 mph (the max speed with the chains) but I was passing abandoned and stuck vehicles all over the place. I stopped to get coffee, and was worried about having enough road left to pass stuck cars on the onramp (a truck got stuck, then a car tried to pass it, and got stuck, then someone else--I wondered if I'd be the 4th. There was just enough room for me to squeeze through.)

Chains are extreme, but they work much better than the other options. Of course, if you need chains on the freeway or in town, you probably should stay home. I had a flight to catch, otherwise, I'd have been by the fireplace making cocoa instead of out driving. Oddly enough, my flight went and was ontime. Lots of empty seats.