Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-10-16, 07:10 PM   #76
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The one and only legal cannabis thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
This is a good watch for people who aren't very familiar with cannabis. Brit gal decides to find out for herself in a documentary. The first one is excellent because it shows her (about at 6 minutes in) buy cannabis, be told to take just a few hits and wait a few minutes to see how it affects her, and she ends up taking 25 or so hits and has an existential crisis.
Pretty careless to take so many hits on her first time. The "I don't feel anything so I'll do more" thinking is what gets people into trouble. No wonder she had a bad experience.
Old 01-10-16, 09:10 PM   #77
DVD Talk God

yeah. But Plenty of people do it. Same with edibles. The nice thing is that it won't kill you like doing something similar with alcohol.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-11-16, 10:27 AM   #78
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
yeah. But Plenty of people do it. Same with edibles. The nice thing is that it won't kill you like doing something similar with alcohol.
We ended up making lemon bars instead of fudge the other day. Cut them purposely so that each peace should have had about 25mg THC (which isn't much for kvrdave, but plenty for me). Tried them out yesterday. Strange edibles. It was a very slow ramp up, but 4 hours in, I was like "whoa, how did I get this baked?" Lasted all night ... was a different kind of feeling for sure
Old 01-11-16, 10:40 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
Pretty careless to take so many hits on her first time. The "I don't feel anything so I'll do more" thinking is what gets people into trouble. No wonder she had a bad experience.
You can always take more, you can never take less. Best to give things a bit of time to set in before going for more.
Old 01-11-16, 11:57 AM   #80
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
We ended up making lemon bars instead of fudge the other day. Cut them purposely so that each peace should have had about 25mg THC (which isn't much for kvrdave, but plenty for me). Tried them out yesterday. Strange edibles. It was a very slow ramp up, but 4 hours in, I was like "whoa, how did I get this baked?" Lasted all night ... was a different kind of feeling for sure
Isn't that the best!!!
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-11-16, 12:20 PM   #81
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
This is a good watch for people who aren't very familiar with cannabis. Brit gal decides to find out for herself in a documentary. The first one is excellent because it shows her (about at 6 minutes in) buy cannabis, be told to take just a few hits and wait a few minutes to see how it affects her, and she ends up taking 25 or so hits and has an existential crisis.
"just in case, I have medical staff standing by."

She's a little dramatic isn't she?

Europeans and their tobacco-mixed joints ... frigging disgusting way to ruin your weed.
Old 01-11-16, 11:32 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Europeans and their tobacco-mixed joints ... frigging disgusting way to ruin your weed.
We did that when we were kids to extend the bag of shwag we had. And seriously, did she say 1/10th of a gram of weed in that bat?
Old 01-15-16, 02:58 PM   #83
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is shatter oil substantially different from regular vape oil? I just got notice that my pot shop now has AutoDabber products, that says it is shatter oil. I don't really know what that is though.

FYI, their website says this about it, but I have no clue what it means:
Quote:
HOW ARE AUTO DABBERS DIFFERENT THAN OTHER VAPE PENS LIKE O-PEN?
Auto Dabber is the first and only vape pen to offer cartridges that are pre-filled with oil made from brand name BHO. Other pens use a weaker CO2 oil.

Last edited by joeblow69; 01-15-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 12:24 PM   #84
DVD Talk God

Quote:
"just in case, I have medical staff standing by."

She's a little dramatic isn't she?
Considering it is a schedule 1 drug that many people think can kill you, I don't think so. It is amazing how ill-informed people are about cannabis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Is shatter oil substantially different from regular vape oil? I just got notice that my pot shop now has AutoDabber products, that says it is shatter oil. I don't really know what that is though.

FYI, their website says this about it, but I have no clue what it means:
Might be different in potency, but that's about it. I have oils that reach over 90% THC and some shatter that does the same. Had some called Bubblegum the other day. The aftertaste tasted legitimately like the gum in bubblegum ice cream.

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-16-16, 03:38 PM   #85
DVD Talk God

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-16-16, 10:50 PM   #86
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Caffeine is no joke at higher doses. I have some friends who as teenagers took way too many caffeine pills one night for the hell of it. It floored them both -- pain, loss of motor function, vomiting -- giving them the worst drug experience they ever had.
Old 01-17-16, 04:36 AM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Caffeine is no joke at higher doses. I have some friends who as teenagers took way too many caffeine pills one night for the hell of it. It floored them both -- pain, loss of motor function, vomiting -- giving them the worst drug experience they ever had.
When I was younger I knew a guy who was always taking 357 magnums (it's a pill with something like 200mg caffeine).

He went with my friend and I to a Motley Crue concert and before the show drank vodka and took a handfull of the pills. Anyway, it's a general admission show and I'm up in the front right next to the security barrier, and I see one of the security guards carrying this kid, completely zoned out, past me.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-17-16, 09:41 AM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bad news for weed lovers:
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love...1440_249545679

Quote:
Justin Lehmiller, Ph.D. says that while some recent studies have found that marijuana can make a guy last longer in bed, that guy's perception of time might simply be different when he's high, leading him to think he's lasting longer, but he's really not.

Similarly, studies done in animals have shown that cannabis can affect certain receptors in the penis's erectile tissue, which could potentially be true of human erectile tissue as well, and new research found that people who smoke weed every day are three times as likely to suffer erectile dysfunction than people who don't smoke at all.
Old 01-17-16, 11:01 AM   #89
DVD Talk God

I smoke weed every day and haven't had that problem. But it would be worth it.

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-18-16, 10:23 AM   #90
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is smoking 1 gram per day considered a high usage?

Does somebody who smokes weed in the morning before work (just one hit) have a problem? Or could that be OK?
Old 01-19-16, 04:37 PM   #91
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post

Does somebody who smokes weed in the morning before work (just one hit) have a problem? Or could that be OK?
A gram a day sounds like heavy usage to me, although it would depend on the potency, obviously.

Is it a problem? Way too many variables to make a judgment call without any other information.
Old 01-19-16, 05:52 PM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post

I thought you broke up with him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I wholly endorse having sex with midgets for 1 simple reason: it makes my dick look bigger.
Old 01-19-16, 06:02 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

I don't smoke weed. I'm not terribly interested. But will get some after it's legal in AZ.

From a health standpoint, doesn't it make more sense to have some snacks, instead of smoking it? Or vape? Inhaling smoke of any kind isn't good for you long-term. Even smoked food is shown to cause cancer.

I can't imagine I'd ever been into smoking. But I'd keep some THC gummy bears around all the time.
Old 01-19-16, 06:12 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah the old magic brownies and cookies, I could get behind those.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 01-19-16, 06:31 PM   #95
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I don't smoke weed. I'm not terribly interested. But will get some after it's legal in AZ.

From a health standpoint, doesn't it make more sense to have some snacks, instead of smoking it? Or vape? Inhaling smoke of any kind isn't good for you long-term. Even smoked food is shown to cause cancer.

I can't imagine I'd ever been into smoking. But I'd keep some THC gummy bears around all the time.
I'm on the road but when I can I'll look for am article is read. It effectively said that those who smoke heavily with a bong for at least 10 years showed more lung capacity and lead incident of cancer than those who don't smoke at all. The water pipe eliminates the tar and the rest isn't carcinogenic
Old 01-19-16, 06:33 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I kicked the coffee habit after 10 years of being addicted (and four years of being holy-shit-glad-I-didn't-die addicted). That poster is very true.
Old 01-20-16, 10:04 AM   #97
DVD Talk God

Here's a decent article on smoking effects. I say decent because it seems to show the good and bad.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ty-study-shows

Here's an interesting part. This was also from 2012 and I've read much newer.

Here's a good list. https://www.google.com/search?q=cann...pacity&tbm=nws

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-20-16, 02:07 PM   #98
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember reading an article in High Times (not the most scientific source) about a decade ago where the claim was made that smoking from a water bong doesn't filter out as much of the tar and particulates as you'd expect, and it actually saps some of the THC from your hits. I took the article with a grain of salt, though, as it was lacking any citations to research.

Bong water gets pretty nasty pretty quickly, so it has to be doing some good, right?
Old 01-21-16, 09:26 PM   #99
DVD Talk God

This just came up in a search and it seems to say what you say, and from a source that we'd have to believe is credible. http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/smokestudy.html

This is recent, but I don't know enough about whether tobacco is a good comparison in terms of the plant. http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...es-old-beliefs

Now to really muddy the waters, this study shows it harms the lungs slightly while using, long term marijuana use shows no ill effects, and even shows a better lung volume. Here's the abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23802821
Quote:
Regular smoking of marijuana by itself causes visible and microscopic injury to the large airways that is consistently associated with an increased likelihood of symptoms of chronic bronchitis that subside after cessation of use. On the other hand, habitual use of marijuana alone does not appear to lead to significant abnormalities in lung function when assessed either cross-sectionally or longitudinally, except for possible increases in lung volumes and modest increases in airway resistance of unclear clinical significance. Therefore, no clear link to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease has been established. Although marijuana smoke contains a number of carcinogens and cocarcinogens, findings from a limited number of well-designed epidemiological studies do not suggest an increased risk for the development of either lung or upper airway cancer from light or moderate use, although evidence is mixed concerning possible carcinogenic risks of heavy, long-term use. Although regular marijuana smoking leads to bronchial epithelial ciliary loss and impairs the microbicidal function of alveolar macrophages, evidence is inconclusive regarding possible associated risks for lower respiratory tract infection. Several case reports have implicated marijuana smoking as an etiologic factor in pneumothorax/pneumomediastinum and bullous lung disease, although evidence of a possible causal link from epidemiologic studies is lacking. In summary, the accumulated weight of evidence implies far lower risks for pulmonary complications of even regular heavy use of marijuana compared with the grave pulmonary consequences of tobacco.
So I have no idea. I will say that I don't think I believe the idea that water pipes take out a bunch of thc, just because I certainly get stoned faster and easier with a nice one.

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-21-16, 09:28 PM   #100
DVD Talk God

You know, considering the first ones are officially 20 years old, they may be total bullshit. That would be just past the midpoint of the drug war.

Who the hell knows.

― Carl Sagan