DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-08-17, 05:30 PM   #676
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The one and only legal cannabis thread

So while I dont smoke, I have no issues with smoking weed be it legal or not. Many family members smoke it and I've just grown up around it and never seen it be a problem.
BUT.... do we really need a dispensary at every block corner like liqueur stores? There are 5 within short walks of my house and the other day, the city had 'application day' for those who want to open one in the area. Now at present time, there are 13 in the area and 4 of which are just down the street from a HS that kids walk by to get home.

There are more pot dispensaries than liqueur stores now in my area and soon to be more. Does there really need to be that many so close to each other?
Old 02-08-17, 06:04 PM   #677
DVD Talk Reviewer

To be fair, stores that specialize in only Liqueur aren't very popular these days anyway.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1337 days 0 hours 2 minutes
Old 02-09-17, 11:26 AM   #678
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
There are more pot dispensaries than liqueur stores now in my area and soon to be more. Does there really need to be that many so close to each other?
It's the exact opposite in my area of Washington state. Strict zoning rules and bans in some towns has allowed one store to maintain a weed monopoly on a multi-city area of some 75,000 people. The store rakes in roughly $600k in cash a month.

In hindsight, when applications were first being awarded by the state, I should've done everything I could (mortgage my home, sell my cars, beg, borrow and steal funds) to scoop up the lone license being issued in that city. I'd be a multi-millionaire by now.
Old 02-09-17, 12:49 PM   #679
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
I think the difference is, most liqueur stores all carry pretty much the same stuff. Pot stores (at least in my town) all have vastly different stock. Not just where they are getting their bud from, but edibles, concentrates, lotions, it's all different brand stuff depending where you go.

For example, we've probably got 15-20 stores in the tri-city area, but only one carries these cool Mio-like water enhancers:

I've been having fun with micro edibles lately. Got some cool orange flavored mints (10mg each) that you hold under your tongue until they dissolve. Not enough to feel HIGH, but it's a great way to start a night of drinking out on the town.

Last edited by joeblow69; 02-09-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 01:24 PM   #680
Inane Thread Master

I'm so jealous of you guys. My stuff smells so good, yet does so little for me
Old 02-23-17, 09:24 PM   #681
DVD Talk Hero

Hope y'all got your medical licenses, as it looks like the new administration is going to go after states that allow recreational use. But then after that, I'm sure they'll be happy to go after those with medical reasons, along with all the dispensaries.

The fuckers actually likened marijuana to opioids.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...
Old 02-24-17, 08:44 AM   #682
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well to be fair, there is a connection between marijuana use and opioid abuse. Of course, the correlation is that areas with legal marijuana have less opioid usage.
Old 02-24-17, 09:42 AM   #683
DVD Talk God

I'm hoping this gets congress off their ass to finally take care of this. There's bipartisan bill introduced with both Ron Wyden in the Senate and Jason Chaffetz in the House to decriminalize it federally and let states decide.

Letting states decide is the excuse they used for letting the LGBT stuff be wiped out.

WA's AG and Governor have vowed to fight it. They must be letting MMJ be fine because there is already a law forbidding the DOJ from spending any money prosecuting it.

With CA fully legal there are some big money players in cannabis. That will likely help grease the wheels of congress.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-24-17, 09:50 AM   #684
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
But then after that, I'm sure they'll be happy to go after those with medical reasons, along with all the dispensaries.
I don't know about that. I remember reading an interview with Trump where he said that he agreed with medical marijuana, because he knows people that it has helped.

He seems to me to be the kind of person who doesn't give 2 shits about any policy unless it effects him or people he directly knows.
Old 02-24-17, 10:43 AM   #685
DVD Talk God

They aren't going after medical because congress passed a law saying the DOJ couldn't spend any money going after mmj in states where it is legal, essentially. That went through the courts because the DEA continued to anyway and in court they claimed, "We think that means we can't spend any money going after the states for breaking federal law, not citizens." They were pretty well laughed out of court.

If WA was smart, they change their MMJ laws to include anyone over 21 with WA ID.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-25-17, 03:02 PM   #686
DVD Talk Hero

Found this, handy for Canadians:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadients/...february_2017/
Old 02-26-17, 10:19 AM   #687
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did see a video this morning (can't find it now) where Spicer clarified ... says they will be going after recreational mj, not medicinal.
Old 02-26-17, 12:02 PM   #688
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I did see a video this morning (can't find it now) where Spicer clarified ... says they will be going after recreational mj, not medicinal.
Yes, because one is a states rights issue and the other isn't, obviously.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 03-01-17, 06:09 PM   #689
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So a friend of mine just gave me a sandwich baggie full of mystery pot. No clue what it is. But man, these are the biggest buds I've seen!
Old 03-05-17, 02:39 PM   #690
DVD Talk God

Israel decriminalized marijuana usage today.

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-05-17, 04:45 PM   #691
DVD Talk Legend

That's great. Israel-Palestine conflict should be resolved by tomorrow.
Old 03-06-17, 10:35 AM   #692
DVD Talk God

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-11-17, 06:54 AM   #693
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to be visiting CA soon, and was just wondering if I'd be able to walk into a pot shop without a medical card to buy some weed? I know they voted for recreational during the election. I was just curious since I wanted to take in some local "flavor" while I was out there! TIA
Old 03-11-17, 08:28 AM   #694
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I'm going to be visiting CA soon, and was just wondering if I'd be able to walk into a pot shop without a medical card to buy some weed? I know they voted for recreational during the election. I was just curious since I wanted to take in some local "flavor" while I was out there! TIA
Nope.
You can have it on you without a card, but they still have set up how to sell it to people recreationally.
Old 03-11-17, 11:23 PM   #695
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Nope.
You can have it on you without a card, but they still have set up how to sell it to people recreationally.
Bummer. But I'll be going to OR in June for a visit...so I think I'll be good out there!
Old 03-12-17, 06:41 AM   #696
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
So a friend of mine just gave me a sandwich baggie full of mystery pot. No clue what it is. But man, these are the biggest buds I've seen!

I want!

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 03-14-17, 03:51 PM   #697
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I ate a 3 dose brownie about an hour ago.
Didn't care for the taste. Immediate taste of weed. But it did relax me and I'm actually feeling pretty good.
I'd love to ditch Xanax so hopefully edibles do the trick. I'm not really into smoking it. I gave up smoking cigarettes years ago for a reason, so....

Old 03-14-17, 06:26 PM   #698
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice. That $5 brownie would probably cost at least $15-$20 in my area.

54mg of THC orally would send me into lala land, and I'm a daily smoker.
Old 03-14-17, 07:17 PM   #699
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I didnt eat the whole thing hahahaha I just took a third of it. I felt eating the whole thing would have lived up to it's name, "Sonoma Coma"
Old 03-31-17, 05:43 PM   #700
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like we might have to change the thread title to illegal cannabis...

Trump And Marijuana: Justice Department Contacts Colorado Officials About Cannabis Cases

As if their plates aren't full with enough bullshit, they want to go after this too.

Quote:
President Donald Trump’s aides have publicly promised a crackdown on states that have legalized marijuana — and the new White House administration may already be taking steps to make good on that pledge, according to an email obtained by International Business Times.

The correspondence showed a Justice Department official requesting information about marijuana cases from the state Attorney General’s office in Colorado — one of five states where voters have passed ballot measures to legalize the recreational use of cannabis. The email came just after both a top White House official and U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions reiterated the Trump administration’s opposition to marijuana legalization at the state level.
Tell me again how Clinton would've been just as bad.