Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-06-16, 09:22 PM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The one and only legal cannabis thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i'd really love to hear from dissenters on legal cannabis and why they think it shouldn't be...
Okay. Well, it's not medicine and it's not used as medicine except as an appetite stimulant or anti-emetic (of which Zofran is better), so this "Medicinal Marijuana" stuff is bullshit. Anyone with pretty much any medical complaint can get marijuana from a dispensary, which is not how I as a physician treat even basic medications like Penicillin.
It certainly impairs driving and is hard to enforce safe DUI levels when nobody knows what a "safe" level of THC is in the system.
Legalization of marijuana implies to the public that it's safe enough for daily use and I'm certainly not convinced that it is. It may be no more dangerous than drinking in excess or smoking tobacco, sure. But that's not the same as safe.

For the record, I'm certainly not in favor of criminalizing recreational usage. I'd be for "decriminalization" rather than "legalization" personally.
And if it becomes legal, it should be legal for recreational use like alcohol is. It's not medicine and should not be the domain of quack, flunkie physicians to prescribe.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 01-06-16, 09:34 PM   #27
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Must be nice!
Not gonna' lie. It's really nice.
Old 01-06-16, 09:43 PM   #28
DVD Talk God

Decker - if it doesn't have medicinal value, why did the government patent it as an anti inflammatory? Not expecting you to know but wondering how you reconcile that?
Old 01-06-16, 09:45 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

Actually, never mind. That is what the other thread is actually for.
Old 01-06-16, 10:07 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Pax user here, love having access to the goods in a legal way.

Gave my anti-weed wife some CBD oil one night because she was having a horrendous bout of restless legs, and she was relaxed and out cold in 15 minutes. It's literally the only thing I've seen work on her a) that quickly, b) let her sleep that well.
Old 01-06-16, 11:08 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

Brah, put down your bowl and shoot a dog.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 01-06-16, 11:28 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not saying it has no potential medicinal benefits, just that a joint is not medicine. I'm sure when properly studied and regulated there are probably genuine medical benefits of cannabis. I just don't think that 1) there is any uniformity of the potency of the product (which is also true of Vitamins and Supplements in this country) and 2) that people are by and large using it for true medical reasons. They're using it recreationally, no? Then don't pass half-assed laws that make it sorta-legal as long as somebody claims they're using it for medicinal benefits instead of for psychotropic amusement or relaxation.

Alcohol has soothing effects on nerves. Smoking tobacco can be an appetite suppressant. Cocaine is a potent vasoconstrictive. Heroin is a highly effective pain reducer. That doesn't make any of them safe or medicine (well sometimes we will use TAC to stop bleeding which does contain cocaine in small amounts, but you know where I'm going there).

Old 01-06-16, 11:45 PM   #33
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'm not saying it has no potential medicinal benefits, just that a joint is not medicine.
At least not until the government/FDA and big pharma put it in pill form

What is medicine? I can take many things for my OCD and anxiety, but the side affects are horrible. Some include possible thoughts of suicide. How is that medicine? Hell yeah I rather do a bong load. It isn't medicine unless the FDA says so. So when you look at it, cannabis isn't medicine, yet.

By the way. I do not smoke weed. Many in my family do for all sorts of reasons but I do have a family member that HAD cancer and their physician recommended they continue to smoke cannabis than take the medicine he would normally prescribe due to the side affects.
Old 01-07-16, 12:17 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
At least not until the government/FDA and big pharma put it in pill form

What is medicine? I can take many things for my OCD and anxiety, but the side affects are horrible. Some include possible thoughts of suicide. How is that medicine? Hell yeah I rather do a bong load. It isn't medicine unless the FDA says so. So when you look at it, cannabis isn't medicine, yet.
Well yeah. At least to some extent that's exactly what I'm saying.
Heroin isn't medicine. Opium isn't medicine. Nobody is trying to make them legal for medicinal use. But Percocet is, and so is morphine. It has the same source material, but is isolated, quantified, regulated, federally tracked and only dispensed (hopefully, usually, ideally) by a qualified physician who can decide if it's the right medication for the symptoms and monitor the amount given and watch for potentially dangerous side effects.
I don't think that's a subtle distinction. And I take my job seriously -- especially when it comes to prescribing and monitoring controlled substances.

Old 01-07-16, 09:13 AM   #35
DVD Talk God

I have no problem not calling it medicine. But the medical community better step up and figure this plant out or the homeopathic movement will make a lot of gains as they sit around feeling better while the establishment tells them they are wrong, and they shouldn't be able to do that.

In the meantime, fewer people are dying of prescription pill overdose as a result of medical marijuana. At the very least, doctors ought to be happy that weed is keeping some of their patients from killing themselves.

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medic...drop-25-266577

Quote:
America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States.

However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually.

“The difference is quite striking,” said study co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore. The shift showed up quite quickly and become visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-07-16, 09:43 AM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything has the potential to be "medicine" as long as it helps relieve pain. Having seen two people use weed when they were dying of cancer, I can tell you 100%, that it IS medicine and it helped both, when many other drugs failed.
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 01-07-16, 10:19 AM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a pure CBD vape cartridge that I smoke when I get a bad headache. It gets rid of the pain faster then any pill I've ever taken, and doesn't even get me high. Definitely medicine in my book.
Old 01-07-16, 11:52 AM   #38
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I live in a state where all the old fucks, bible thumpers and ill-informed sheeple voted it down, so I still don't get to get a legal buzz going. Thanks fuckheads.
No, the Ohio voters got it exactly (and, to my surprise, overwhelmingly) right. I understand how you might feel differently if you belonged to one of the ten investment groups.
Old 01-07-16, 12:29 PM   #39
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
No, the Ohio voters got it exactly (and, to my surprise, overwhelmingly) right. I understand how you might feel differently if you belonged to one of the ten investment groups.
Head stuck in the sand much?

I don't belong to any of the so-called investment groups. I'm just a private citizen who thinks we need to get past the "reefer madness" insanity and grow the fuck up.

As far as I'm concerned, if you drink alcohol you have no moral and/or ethical right to condemn the legalization of marijuana.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 01-07-16, 12:40 PM   #40

Quote:

I don't belong to any of the so-called investment groups. I'm just a private citizen who thinks we need to get past the "reefer madness" insanity and grow the fuck up.

As far as I'm concerned, if you drink alcohol you have no moral and/or ethical right to condemn the legalization of marijuana.
I don't care if it is legalized, but I do care how it is legalized, which is a big difference that about a third of Ohioans, including you, failed to grasp.
Old 01-07-16, 12:41 PM   #41
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
And this is why having 2 threads sucks Political pot discussions go in the other thread
Old 01-07-16, 12:49 PM   #42

Quite right. I'll bow out now since it isn't legal here anyway.
Old 01-07-16, 12:51 PM   #43

Quote:

This is a bit silly.

However, since I drink zero alcohol and take zero drugs, not even caffeine or aspirin, do I have the moral or ethical right to condemn legalisation?

I don't condemn it, by the way. As I've said before, I just want to continue to be able to discriminate against users. But I think giving any type of moral "power" to abstainers seems the wrong way to go.
Old 01-07-16, 01:01 PM   #44
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
Pax user here, love having access to the goods in a legal way.

I love my Pax. Smoking is for troglodytes.
Old 01-07-16, 01:21 PM   #45
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Mighty vape arrived today. Won't be able to try it out until tonight though.
Old 01-07-16, 04:25 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

I want to be Dave's business partner.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 01-07-16, 04:34 PM   #47
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I want to be Dave's business partner.
I don't. Sounds like that guy does all the work now.

"Dave's not here, man."
Old 01-07-16, 05:40 PM   #48
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post

I love my Pax. Smoking is for troglodytes.
We gave up on my Pax. I dunno, maybe we were packing it too dense, or not enough? Seems like we just weren't getting good hits off it.
Old 01-07-16, 05:45 PM   #49
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
We gave up on my Pax. I dunno, maybe we were packing it too dense, or not enough? Seems like we just weren't getting good hits off it.
i agree. i got the new one with deeper oven, Pax 2. and while it is better in every way and so much easier to take care of than 1. that 1 model all of a sudden wouldn't open. anyway, much easier mouthpiece. but doesn't give good hits before it is spent. just good because it is portable...
Old 01-07-16, 06:13 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
This is a bit silly.
I don't think it's silly at all. It makes perfect sense to me.