Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-05-15, 02:22 PM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
There's more emphasis on seafood (fish tacos - even though those are from Baja) and it tends to be lighter and has a more veggie influence.

Light should not be in Mexican food's vocabulary. Authentic Mexican joints also use lard when they make the food. Everything is rich and that's why it tastes so good.

Here's the worst culprit of the Cal-Mex (if you can even call it that) that ddi originate in San Diego and can be found in L.A.

California Burrito aka "Spuderito": A delicious and mythical burrito found in Mexican eateries, also known as a Cali Burrito. It is native to Southern California, especially San Diego. The California Burrito consists of carne asada, cheese, sour cream and French fries or potatoes rolled into a flour tortilla. Guacamole may be substituted for sour cream, though this not a true Cali burrito, just an imposter (known as a Cyrus Burrito).

I've had it before and it was alright but I usually don't eat burritos all that often. I love tacos more.
Your post makes no sense. You say Cali Mex is focused on healthy, with more fish and vegies, but then you say that the worst example of Cali Mex is this outrageously greasy Spuderito. So which is it?
Old 07-05-15, 02:34 PM   #102
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I've always been of the opinion that people who say they don't like guacamole just can't get past the fact that it looks like green slime.
It's a taste and texture thing for me; I don't like avocado in or on anything. The addition of peas makes a bad thing worse.
Old 07-05-15, 03:44 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Your post makes no sense. You say Cali Mex is focused on healthy, with more fish and vegies, but then you say that the worst example of Cali Mex is this outrageously greasy Spuderito. So which is it?

Yeah, I wrote in a rush. It's technically the first one. The spuderito was an example of "bastardized" cali-mex variation.
Old 07-05-15, 07:03 PM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

I know it as Cal-Mex food.

Some example: http://www.aquicalmex.com/menus/

Pretty popular here in the SF Bay Area.
Old 07-05-15, 07:21 PM   #105

Quote:
Just so some folks on here can get an inkling of the real shit - these are what real Mexican tacos look like - they don't come with cheese, you bloody savages:

Real for California? Real for all of Mexico? Because I thought Northern Mexico used quite a bit of cheese?
Old 07-05-15, 07:32 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Queso blanco? Popular in Mexico.

- Demetri Martin
Old 07-05-15, 09:23 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Real for California? Real for all of Mexico? Because I thought Northern Mexico used quite a bit of cheese?

I've never seen a legit taqueria put cheese on tacos unless it was fusion or some generic wannabe taco with ground meat, lettuce, etc.

That pic of mine was actually taken by me in Guadalajara, MX. I've visited several states in Mexico and I've never seen them put cheese of any color on a taco.
Old 07-05-15, 09:42 PM   #108
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

These are the tacos at a joint I go to in New Jersey. Comes with radishes, limes, cactus & spring onion on the side.

that vagina in the middle looks delicious.
Old 07-05-15, 09:47 PM   #109
Banned

Quote:
I've never seen a legit taqueria put cheese on tacos unless it was fusion or some generic wannabe taco with ground meat, lettuce, etc.

That pic of mine was actually taken by me in Guadalajara, MX. I've visited several states in Mexico and I've never seen them put cheese of any color on a taco.
Maybe queso blanco but... even that is rare.
Old 07-05-15, 09:49 PM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Maybe queso blanco but... even that is rare.
Yeah, exactly. I love queso blanco and my favorite brand is Cacique and they make tons of variations but I don't eat them with or put them on tacos.
Old 07-06-15, 06:13 AM   #111
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. I love queso blanco and my favorite brand is Cacique and they make tons of variations but I don't eat them with or put them on tacos.
I'm all about La Vaquita. That cheese is so ingrained with my childhood eating. I like Cacique but it's a bit too wet for me in the package. I dunno. I'm not much for cheese to start with so I don't really even use it in general beyond some random urge for it.
Old 07-06-15, 09:10 AM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

Hipsters don't go to Chipotle or put peas in their guac. Hipsters post pictures on the Internet of their Mexican tacos from one specific spot only they know about.
Old 07-06-15, 09:20 AM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Hipsters don't go to Chipotle or put peas in their guac. Hipsters post pictures on the Internet of their Mexican tacos from one specific spot only they know about.
And talk down to people that put cheese on tacos. Who knew this place was a secret haven for closet hipsters.
Old 07-06-15, 09:33 AM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Queso blanco isn't traditionally used in tacos, but it is commonly used in other dishes.

- Demetri Martin
Old 07-06-15, 09:53 AM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Hipster gets thrown around so often on these forums that I don't think many of us truly understand what hipsters are... which is exactly what the hipsters want.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 07-06-15, 10:12 AM   #116
Banned

Pft. People still think Scott Pilgrim was a hipster dude.
Old 07-06-15, 10:23 AM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

RE: Draven & Timber

Oh, so I'm a hipster, because I don't tell you where my taco spots are at? What difference would that make? I'm showing you what the fucking tacos look like. Now you go to Yelp or wherever and you do the leg work. Half of you would probably be scared to go into the 'hood to try the real shit anyway. Unless you lived in a gentrified neighborhood and got lucky by having a taco stand nearby.

If you must have cheese on your taco then stick to Shitpotle, Del Taco, or Taco Bell. There's nothing for you here.
Old 07-06-15, 10:26 AM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I'm all about La Vaquita. That cheese is so ingrained with my childhood eating. I like Cacique but it's a bit too wet for me in the package. I dunno. I'm not much for cheese to start with so I don't really even use it in general beyond some random urge for it.

The best cheese by far would be the giant block that usually some Mexican cat would be selling for about $20 for the entire wedge. It's aged up the ass and has the foot smell but when you taste it it's the best goddamn Mexican cheese you've ever had. I used to hate it growing up cuz I hated the smell but can't stop eating the shit as an adult. It doesn't always come around cuz you gotta know someone that's selling it. That buries any of the other cheeses out there.
Old 07-06-15, 10:34 AM   #119
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Who knew this place was a secret haven for closet hipsters.
We're HISPANIC not hipsters.

- Machiavelli
Old 07-06-15, 10:37 AM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
We're HISPANIC not hipsters.
This.
Old 07-06-15, 10:39 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Hipsters

http://roguepriest.net/2014/05/21/ho...merican-tacos/

I refer to all things listed in the article above as 'tacos' but only one style is an 'authentic Mexican style' taco

a choice of certain specific meats
Corn tortilla
Onion
Cilantro
salsa (again of certain types)

This is why I call Chipotle and Taco Bell - Mexican Style food. It's a variation of the real deal, but it certainly isn't Italian food or Chinese food, it's Mexican style...

and I do like Cali-Mex as well, I have had fish tacos in a handful of different places in La Jolla and loved them all.
Old 07-06-15, 10:46 AM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

Authentic shmentic. So long as it's tasty.
Old 07-06-15, 10:52 AM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

Well, yeah, but when it comes to food, some people get pretty uptight and overly defensive.

It's like watching people go into conniptions over the subgenres of metal or electronic music. OK, it's technical-melodic-metal with thrash roots and black metal vocals. Still metal.

Cali-suburban-non-authentic Mexican-influenced non-traditional with cheese. Still Mexican. Things morph and grow.
Old 07-06-15, 10:52 AM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Hipsters

http://roguepriest.net/2014/05/21/ho...merican-tacos/

I refer to all things listed in the article above as 'tacos' but only one style is an 'authentic Mexican style' taco

a choice of certain specific meats
Corn tortilla
Onion
Cilantro
salsa (again of certain types)

This is why I call Chipotle and Taco Bell - Mexican Style food. It's a variation of the real deal, but it certainly isn't Italian food or Chinese food, it's Mexican style...

and I do like Cali-Mex as well, I have had fish tacos in a handful of different places in La Jolla and loved them all.

That link is great. I don't usually eat fish tacos, because I'd rather eat regular tacos, but I really like the fish tacos Rubios sell. It's strange.
Old 07-06-15, 10:53 AM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying that I wouldn't eat them if I were hungry (it's filler food) but this is not Mexican.