Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-03-15, 07:37 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Guacamole: Peas or no peas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Peas? Sunflower seeds? What is this madness?

On the other hand, I always include tomatoes (and onions, but I suppose the scallions can substitute).
Not to mention broiling the jalapeno. You roast that motherfucker over lump charcoal, or you sit in a corner and feel bad. Plus " a heat proof pan?" All pans are heat proof. You mean "oven safe."

Old 07-03-15, 08:06 AM   #52
DVD Talk Godfather

You can always add some sushi-grade tuna to it! Or put it into a panini sandwich!

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 07-03-15, 12:28 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Bunch of savages, pea in quac. No!
Old 07-03-15, 02:59 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
From my perspective (here in California) it seems like it took New York 100 years to discover Mexican food and now they're pretending like they invented it. See Chipotle's popularity in Brooklyn.
Shitpotle is anything but authentic Mexican. It's for people that don't know the difference and hipsters.
Old 07-03-15, 04:06 PM   #55
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I opened this thread thinking somebody bought some cheap supermarket guacamole that had peas as filler to save on the more expensive avocados.

In a nutshell, this is just wrong!

Some Mexican restaurants offer guacamole prepared table side from a cart of various ingredients that you can choose from. I have never once seen peas or sunflower seeds on any of these carts.
Old 07-03-15, 05:20 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Chafee can make this his new platform.
Old 07-03-15, 05:31 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Shitpotle is anything but authentic Mexican.
That's right my brother. The joint I go to makes beef tongue tacos on soft toasted corn tortillas (no hardshell or flour tortilla) with spring onion, cilantro and a side of cooked cactus & lime wedges. I don't eat that stuff (beef tongue) but that's some authentic shit right there.

- Machiavelli
Old 07-03-15, 05:40 PM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
That's right my brother. The joint I go to makes beef tongue tacos on soft toasted corn tortillas (no hardshell or flour tortilla) with spring onion, cilantro and a side of cooked cactus & lime wedges. I don't eat that stuff (beef tongue) but that's some authentic shit right there.

Make mine iguana.
Old 07-03-15, 08:46 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Beef tongue is legit!
Old 07-03-15, 09:22 PM   #60
Banned

As having the blood of a wetback... why the fuck would anyone want peas in their guacamole? Not one goddamn brownie would even think to put peas in guacamole.
Old 07-03-15, 09:30 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Shitpotle is anything but authentic Mexican. It's for people that don't know the difference and hipsters.
You don't have to tell me. That was my point.

I've been aware of how popular the place is for a long time. Especially with East coast hipsters, hence my Brooklyn comment. I finally ate there last month because they were gracious enough to host a fund raiser for my kids school. Now it's certainly better than Del Taco, but it's very average. I concluded that the only explanation for its cult popularity is that it has franchised into places in the East that have never had good Mexican food before.

But why anyone who lives in CA would go to a Chipotle is beyond me. There are often better places on the same street.

I also found the ambiance really shitty. Their equipment is really loud and you can't hear the fucking person that's helping you and they make you go down the assembly line like at Subway picking items you want. NO WHERE ELSE EVER have I seen Mexican food presented this way. Just make me your fucking burrito your way and I'll judge it.
Old 07-03-15, 09:49 PM   #62
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
why the fuck would anyone want peas in their guacamole? Not one goddamn brownie would even think to put peas in guacamole.
Old 07-03-15, 10:03 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Quote:
Beef tongue is legit!
I, too, am down with the lengua. Who'd have thought that in Fairbanks I'd find not one but TWO places that serve excellent tacos de lengua for a cheap and delicious lunch.

But peas replace avocados in GUACAmolé? Peas!? Bitch, please.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 07-03-15, 10:10 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

I was taught by a real Abuela that lived a little south of Playa Del Carmen, this is her recipe as I wrote it down. By far the best I have ever had (less is more, or simple is better IMO)

Ingredients

3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
3 tomatillos, husked and chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 drops hot pepper sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix avocados, tomatillos, red onion, roma tomatoes, and lime juice. Season with red pepper flakes, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate at least 45 minutes before serving.

also to note, the giant seed in the center of the avocado **MUST** stay with the guacamole at all times, do not discard.

and no fucking peas!
Old 07-03-15, 10:50 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

So, after you make the guac, you put the seed back in the bowl? Separation anxiety or something?

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 07-03-15, 11:19 PM   #66
Banned

Why keep the seed?
Old 07-04-15, 12:09 AM   #67
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some people say it helps to keep the color from turning. I think that's mostly the lime juice, but I have noticed that if I store a cut avocado in saran wrap with the pit in it, it seems to keep longer. Might be my imagination--I've never actually compared 2 halves.
Old 07-04-15, 12:18 AM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the seed is garnishment. I've seen it in bowls of it before. No harm, no foul.
Old 07-04-15, 12:22 AM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
You don't have to tell me. That was my point.

I've been aware of how popular the place is for a long time. Especially with East coast hipsters, hence my Brooklyn comment. I finally ate there last month because they were gracious enough to host a fund raiser for my kids school. Now it's certainly better than Del Taco, but it's very average. I concluded that the only explanation for its cult popularity is that it has franchised into places in the East that have never had good Mexican food before.

But why anyone who lives in CA would go to a Chipotle is beyond me. There are often better places on the same street.

I also found the ambiance really shitty. Their equipment is really loud and you can't hear the fucking person that's helping you and they make you go down the assembly line like at Subway picking items you want. NO WHERE ELSE EVER have I seen Mexican food presented this way. Just make me your fucking burrito your way and I'll judge it.

Out here, and we have a shitload in L.A., white folks and hipsters, for the most part, don't like the real deal, because they don't feel "safe" in those environments. Yes, you will see them in gentrified neighborhoods but they will never venture out to try it for themselves. Maybe if they get lucky and they're stumbling out of the club and a taco stand is up then they will.

Out here, the best taco places are located in "Highland Park," which is a community within Los Angeles.
Old 07-04-15, 04:58 AM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
As having the blood of a wetback... why the fuck would anyone want peas in their guacamole? Not one goddamn brownie would even think to put peas in guacamole.
I say the same of fried rice with peas and carrots. This yellow man hates that shit.
Old 07-04-15, 11:30 AM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

The seed helps keep the avocado fresh or so Mayan legend from an old women would have me believe.
Old 07-04-15, 11:33 AM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

The reasons I like Chipotle (and I classify it similarly to Taco Bell, it's 'Mexican Like' or 'Mexican Style' food, but not Mexican food)

Cheap
Fast
Consistent
Filling
good quality for 'fast food' (but a bit heavy on the salt)
and I can easily get a meat free meal when the gout starts acting up (double scoop of black beans and then guac, instead of meat)
Old 07-04-15, 11:36 AM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I was taught by a real Abuela that lived a little south of Playa Del Carmen, this is her recipe as I wrote it down. By far the best I have ever had (less is more, or simple is better IMO)

Ingredients

3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
3 tomatillos, husked and chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 drops hot pepper sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix avocados, tomatillos, red onion, roma tomatoes, and lime juice. Season with red pepper flakes, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate at least 45 minutes before serving.

also to note, the giant seed in the center of the avocado **MUST** stay with the guacamole at all times, do not discard.

and no fucking peas!
An ENTIRE red onion? Wow. I use maybe 1/4 of an onion.
Old 07-04-15, 03:49 PM   #74

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

If you made that NY Times version of Guacamole out here in California you'd be shot on the spot. And rightfully so... that recipe is a fucking atrocity. Fuckin' East Coasters, Jesus Christ!
Days of speed and slow time Mondays, pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday, watching the news and not eating your tea, a freezing cold flat and damp on the walls - That's Entertainment - The Jam
Old 07-04-15, 03:54 PM   #75
DVD Talk Hero

Vegeracist.