Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-05-15, 06:50 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Universal Studios Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
The Castle ride was a bit much, for me - all that stuff flying at your face ... saw a kid maybe nine or so utterly losing it in the gift store, crying uncontrollably - it's a tad intense - had to go back on it, since the first time I was closing my eyes most of the time.
Just wait till it becomes 3D! Both the Japan and Hollywood parks have (Japan) or will have (Hollywood) the the same ride in 3D and it's basically a given they will upgrade Orlando after Hollywood opens.

Quote:
(Forbidden Journey [didn't go on it])
But that is the Castle ride, isn't it?

Quote:
that 'Shrek 4D' movie was so lame and antiquated.
All 4D movie attractions are antiquated at this point and all should be removed in favor of something better. That said, I like Shrek more than all many of the other options out there. Some of those things are very, very bad.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-06-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 08:17 AM   #77
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Don't know how these compare to AAA. I've used this company before for tickets. Very reliable.

https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/#tickets
This is great, thank you. Do you happen to know if I can add Fast Pass to this at the park?
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 08-06-15, 08:42 AM   #78
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
This is great, thank you. Do you happen to know if I can add Fast Pass to this at the park?
I believe adding the Express Pass is always an option if you are willing to spend the money. See below:

https://www.universalorlando.com/The...ss-Passes.aspx

The option (Front of the Line with room key) they give you if you stay on site are also always the better option. They work as multi-use passes for each ride. Many people book a room they never use just to get the passes for two days. But both options may not be needed unless you are going when it will be crowded. And even then, you can work around crowds by arriving early and staying late.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-06-15 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 09:28 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

All 4D movie attractions are antiquated at this point and all should be removed in favor of something better. That said, I like Shrek more than all many of the other options out there. Some of those things are very, very bad.
I'll never forgive them for getting rid of the Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies and replacing it with that horrible Shrek thing.
Old 08-06-15, 09:37 AM   #80
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'll never forgive them for getting rid of the Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies and replacing it with that horrible Shrek thing.
I loved that one as well. Should have at least found a new home for it. Could fit it almost anywhere.
Old 08-06-15, 11:28 AM   #81
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just booked Cabana Bay. I assume I'll get tickets and fast passes from the hotel then.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
Old 08-06-15, 12:04 PM   #82
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Just booked Cabana Bay. I assume I'll get tickets and fast passes from the hotel then.
Cabana bay does not give it's guests express passes.

All the other properties offer express passes to their guests (but you pay a lot more per night as compared to cabana bay).

You can still purchase express passes.. so you might want to crunch the numbers and see if it is worth it to stay at one of the other Lowes properties and get complimentary express passes
Old 08-06-15, 12:44 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
Cabana bay does not give it's guests express passes.

All the other properties offer express passes to their guests (but you pay a lot more per night as compared to cabana bay).

You can still purchase express passes.. so you might want to crunch the numbers and see if it is worth it to stay at one of the other Lowes properties and get complimentary express passes
Yes. Only available with stays the Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. Unless things have changed, the Royal Pacific is cheaper, but also books up faster because if it.

If looking to really stay in the hotel I find the Hard Rock to be the best option.
Old 08-06-15, 03:17 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, good to know. Thank you both.
Old 08-07-15, 08:46 AM   #85
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes. Only available with stays the Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. Unless things have changed, the Royal Pacific is cheaper, but also books up faster because if it.

If looking to really stay in the hotel I find the Hard Rock to be the best option.
Correct.

Also, if we were to go again I'd likely pay a bit more for one of more expensive hotels. I believe the Express Pass is an necessity at these parks. While the Cabana Bay is great for a family, staying there and paying for Express Passes actually cost me more than booking at RP (we were part of a group so I was forced to stay at CB.) The Royal Pacific is also a significantly nicer place than CB. I found Portofino to be pretentious and I didn't go to the Hard Rock. A nice benefit to the RP and HR is that walking to the parks is easy from those hotels.

I really liked Universal, have a good time!
Old 08-09-15, 12:08 AM   #86

We're going to Universal in October for a Fall Break vacation. We haven't been since Diagon Alley opened, so we're excited to see it. Also going to attend Halloween Horror Nights (going three nights with the Frequent Fear pass). We can't wait!
Old 08-12-15, 04:25 PM   #87
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post
We're going to Universal in October for a Fall Break vacation. We haven't been since Diagon Alley opened, so we're excited to see it. Also going to attend Halloween Horror Nights (going three nights with the Frequent Fear pass). We can't wait!
It's the 25th year for HHN, so it should be great this year. 9 houses instead of the usual 7/8.
Old 08-13-15, 09:20 AM   #88
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I booked Royal Pacific... going next week.
Old 08-13-15, 12:50 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Congrats. In addition to the FOTL pass that come with your room keep in mind you also get early entry. An awesome time to hit the Potter areas. In the past, and possibly even now, the main Potter rides were excluded from the FOTL pass.
Old 08-13-15, 01:26 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post
We went last year, I had a thread soliciting similar advice which would probably be worth your while to dig up, some good tips were offered and used! Had a great time at HHN the one night I went. I'm sure you already know this, but hit Diagon Alley first thing in the morning, we had about a 10 minute wait for Escape from Gringott's in the standby line (worth going through the whole line at least once, the single rider line skips a lot of the window dressing, and its really well done), whizzed right back in through the single rider line, got 3 rides under our belts in under 45 minutes, then went off to the rest of the park.

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing how you like it, we are hoping for a return visit next year and RP is what I'm leaning towards. Hope you have a great time!

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 08-13-15, 07:49 PM   #91
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks guys. Is there a particular Potter ride we should hit first or are they hey all equally awesome?
Old 08-13-15, 10:54 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Thanks guys. Is there a particular Potter ride we should hit first or are they hey all equally awesome?
Old 08-13-15, 10:55 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

There's only 2 Potter rides.

I don't count the Twin coasters rthat were already there or the kid coaster that is about a 20 second ride or the train.
Old 08-14-15, 10:10 AM   #94
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gringotts, and the surrounding area, should be first on the your list simply because it's far newer than the Hogwarts area on the other side. Going to be more crowded. And then take the Express train to the IOA park if you have multi-park tickets. I've read real good things about the train ride.

When on the other side do the Hogwarts castle ride and check out the surrounding area. The Dragon's Challenge coasters are well designed and fun coasters. But they no longer let them "duel" like they were originally designed to operate. The teeming of the ride queue is also worth seeing. The Hippogriff coaster is worth it for the ride itself, but the theming is worth seeing at least once if the ride isn;t long or they let you use the FOTL pass.

Everything else in both parks should work with your FOTL pass so do it at your leisure. I enjoy almost everything there, and it's easy to catch everything with the FOTL pass.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-14-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 12:45 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gringotts, and the surrounding area, should be first on the your list simply because it's far newer than the Hogwarts area on the other side. Going to be more crowded. And then take the Express train to the IOA park of you have multi-park tickets. I've read real good things about the train ride.
Agreed, the train actually makes this convenient.

Quote:
When on the other side do the Hogwarts castle ride and check out the surrounding area. The Dragon's Challenge coasters are well designed and fun coasters. But they no longer let them "duel" like they were originally designed to operate. The teeming of the ride queue is also worth seeing. The Hippogriff coaster is worth it for the ride itself, but the theming is worth seeing at least once if the ride isn;t long or they let you use the FOTL pass.
No joke, the queue for the Dragon Challenge was one of my favorite things in the park. really cool.
Old 08-14-15, 12:48 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
No joke, the queue for the Dragon Challenge was one of my favorite things in the park. really cool.
Personally I liked it batter as Dueling Dragons, complete with the two life size dragons at the entrance, but it's all history now. Also lame that they no longer let the coasters sync up to "duel". Basically wastes the purpose of having both tracks.
Old 08-14-15, 12:48 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there any option to ride the Hogwarts Express train if you don't have multi-park tickets?
Old 08-14-15, 12:55 PM   #98

Yeah, absolutely hit Gringott's first. Don't stop and gawk as you go through Diagon Alley on your way to Gringott's, you can gawk after the ride. Oh, the entrance to Diagon Alley is great! It is unmarked, and hidden, so they had to have a park employee standing outside telling passersby where it was.

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 08-14-15, 02:59 PM   #99

Quote:
Is there any option to ride the Hogwarts Express train if you don't have multi-park tickets?
No. It requires a park to park pass.
Old 08-14-15, 04:12 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Oh, the entrance to Diagon Alley is great! It is unmarked, and hidden, so they had to have a park employee standing outside telling passersby where it was.
Imagine the cojones it took to hide a hugely expensive world class attraction like that down what seems like a service corridor simply to maintain theming. Imagine explaining that to the suits: "yeah, you know that thing we just spent a quarter of a billion dollars on? we're going to hide the entrance to it." I love the integrity of it.