DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-06-15, 10:49 AM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How do I deal with bad behavior from my Nephew?

Old 04-06-15, 10:56 AM   #102
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
No. We are with them for the next five days. Spring break. I'll be updating.
If you can't stand up to your own brother, who will you stand up to? If all else fails, just start whispering threats to your nephew. No one will believe him.
Old 04-06-15, 11:03 AM   #103
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
If you can't stand up to your own brother, who will you stand up to? If all else fails, just start whispering threats to your nephew. No one will believe him.
Like Carol from the Walking Dead

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-06-15, 05:24 PM   #104
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Seriously? What kind of message are you sending your daughter by allowing the nephew to hurt her? I would give my brother one chance to get the nephew under control, next incident, you leave. You're saying that Spring Break is more important than your daughter's self worth? Show her that she is more important to you than 5 days spent with an abusive little prick.

You don't slap the kid, you don't discipline the kid, because anything you do will be undone by his parents, they will either interfere and stop you, and they will apologize to him later, tell him that you were being mean. You focus on YOUR child, and do what you need to do. That's all you can do.

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 04-06-15, 07:40 PM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm. Maybe it's not so far off to put him over your lap and spank his ass till he cries.
Old 04-06-15, 08:57 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Sister in law makes him get out of the pool every hour for more sun block, and makes him swim in a rash guard. And after reapplying sun block he can't swim for ten minutes to let it "work". After every meal or snack he has to wait 20 minutes.

Me: "Do all the canonballs you want. I put sun block on you this morning and you've never had a sun burn in your life. Eat then swim, then eat then swim some more."
Old 04-07-15, 06:07 AM   #107
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why bother? It is pretty clear you are not going to do anything about it but let the little shit torment your kid.
Old 04-07-15, 10:01 AM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

I volunteer to babysit the little brat for a day. That's all I need. One day.
Old 04-07-15, 08:01 PM   #109
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see chronic bad behavior mostly in kids who are ignored unless they're doing something wrong. It's really sad, because even 99% of the naughty kids just want to be appreciated for being good. But if no one sets boundaries and notices when they follow them, they go for plan B, which is be a rotten brat. That, people tend to notice.
Old 04-07-15, 08:42 PM   #110
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I see chronic bad behavior mostly in kids who are ignored unless they're doing something wrong. It's really sad, because even 99% of the naughty kids just want to be appreciated for being good. But if no one sets boundaries and notices when they follow them, they go for plan B, which is be a rotten brat. That, people tend to notice.
"Sister in law makes him get out of the pool every hour for more sun block, and makes him swim in a rash guard. And after reapplying sun block he can't swim for ten minutes to let it "work". After every meal or snack he has to wait 20 minutes."

That doesn't sound like the type of parent that only gives attention to bad behavior. Over parenting?
Old 04-07-15, 08:51 PM   #111
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
"Sister in law makes him get out of the pool every hour for more sun block, and makes him swim in a rash guard. And after reapplying sun block he can't swim for ten minutes to let it "work". After every meal or snack he has to wait 20 minutes."

That doesn't sound like the type of parent that only gives attention to bad behavior. Over parenting?
Maybe, I kind of skimmed and didn't really see that. Helicopter parenting with no consequences because Johny's our precious little boy?
Old 04-07-15, 09:01 PM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could be.
Old 04-08-15, 12:26 AM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Maybe, I kind of skimmed and didn't really see that. Helicopter parenting with no consequences because Johny's our precious little boy?
That's it. Every time he does something wrong mom makes up an imaginary excuse. The few times that my brother disciplines she defends the kid.
Old 04-08-15, 07:39 AM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, people are freaking out because a boy hit a girl with a pencil?

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 04-08-15, 08:12 AM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

No, they are concerned because no one told this child to not do that again. I assume you're trying for a "it's just a pencil, parents are the worst" angle, but the nephew needs to be corrected.

People always comment about how well my son and daughter get along. A big part of that is because there was zero tolerance of them hitting or fighting with each other when they were younger. No reason to let that stuff slide.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-08-15, 10:03 AM   #116
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No, they are concerned because no one told this child to not do that again.
Look, when my daughter gets hit by another kid, its either a playful tap, in which case I tell her to suck it up and stop crying, or an aggressive (doesn't have to be effective to be aggressive) hit, in which case I take appropriate steps to make sure the other kid is disciplined to the extent that I can control that. Case in point, my daughter is 9, girl next door is 6, they play well together about 75% of the time, but the girl next door is a spoiled brat, and lashes out when she doesn't get her way. I've taught my daughter that it's OK to defend herself, but that the best course of action is to distance herself from the other girl, and to explain exactly WHY she is distancing herself, giving the other girl the chance to correct her behavior. I talk with MY daughter about what is wrong with that behavior, and how I understand that she enjoys playing with the other girl, but that she (my daughter) is important to me, and my most important job is to take care of her, and to teach her to take care of herself. if it was a truly dangerous situation, I would forbid contact, but that is nowhere near the case. That doesn't mean I shrug it off as nothing. What I am trying to teach my daughter is that you cannot control th behavior of others, you cannot force them to change that behavior, you can only control what YOU do, and inform others (if you care to) about the choices you make so that they can then choose whether THEY modify their own behavior or not. For the purpose of this thread, what I'm saying applies more to the adults involved than the kids.

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 04-08-15, 10:10 AM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Try reading my whole post and while you're at it the whole thread. It's not one incident, it's a pattern of behavior.
Old 04-08-15, 12:35 PM   #118
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it make you feel any better - I'm dealing with the same thing .. My brother is a total bully, and his son (18) is following in his path (with me being the target).

On Sunday, my brother had to be physically restrained as he came after me when I finally had enough and let him know how sick of his crap I was. It was when I called him an asshole that things erupted (he literally said he was going to kill me). Add to it that he had been allowing his 18 year-old son to drink all morning and then it was 2 people trying to attack me. The 18-year old even pulled a knife from his pocket.

For me, I got my wife and kids and we left - all the while being screamed at by my mother and sister (who felt the need to attack me as well - even after my brother spent hours calling my sister a fat cow and her mixed-marriage kids foul names as well).

But - when I finally have had enough - I'm the bad guy.

I look at it like now I have less places to go - less events to attend. More time for my family. Fuck 'em all.

/rant
Old 04-08-15, 04:12 PM   #119
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by achau9598 View Post
If it make you feel any better - I'm dealing with the same thing .. My brother is a total bully, and his son (18) is following in his path (with me being the target).

On Sunday, my brother had to be physically restrained as he came after me when I finally had enough and let him know how sick of his crap I was. It was when I called him an asshole that things erupted (he literally said he was going to kill me). Add to it that he had been allowing his 18 year-old son to drink all morning and then it was 2 people trying to attack me. The 18-year old even pulled a knife from his pocket.

For me, I got my wife and kids and we left - all the while being screamed at by my mother and sister (who felt the need to attack me as well - even after my brother spent hours calling my sister a fat cow and her mixed-marriage kids foul names as well).

I look at it like now I have less places to go - less events to attend. More time for my family. Fuck 'em all.

/rant
Just because someone shares your last name and DNA, doesn't make them "family", and you don't owe them a damn thing.
Old 04-08-15, 08:28 PM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

/rant
Yeah, you ned to emancipate your ass from that group.
Old 04-09-15, 12:49 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

That sounds horrible. Far worse than my situation. Sorry you've had to put up with that shit.
Old 04-09-15, 02:15 AM   #122
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tell that insolent child to "suffer and be still" followed by admonishing it to "be seen and not heard."
Old 04-09-15, 02:38 AM   #123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Why bother? It is pretty clear you are not going to do anything about it but let the little shit torment your kid.

Nice call I agree 100%. Read the whole thread and he's afraid of someone. The brother. Sister in law. Someone
Old 04-09-15, 07:56 AM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Try reading my whole post and while you're at it the whole thread. It's not one incident, it's a pattern of behavior.
I did. In my extensive observational research of the topic, I have determined that little boys are little shits. Especially little boys with terrible milquetoast parents. Ride out the storm.

Old 04-09-15, 07:58 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

/rant
Hampden?