Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-12-15, 02:12 PM   #26
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Post Your Custom Frame Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I agree, this was my first custom frame up and it is defiantly not so hot. I do have this companion piece to it though:

Great job on that.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 03-12-15, 03:03 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Had these in cheapie Michaels frames for awhile until I learned of glass to print damage and they now live in a flat file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If you have limited run artwork like Mondo prints, you should probably get those professionally framed and matted with UV protected glass or plexiglass. It's going to pricey, but it will give you peace of mind and allow you to show off your art.

I have had a number of posters in frames with direct contact to the glass for years, before I knew they were supposed to be matted, and I've never had any issue with damage like mildew or the print sticking to the glass. Some of these were even stored without climate control so they were subject to swings in temperature and humidity and there were no problems. Not sure if glass damage is exaggerated or not, but I'm more concerned about UV damage than anything else.

But with stuff that is valuable, I don't take a chance.
Care to explain the "glass to print" damage? I have recently acquired a few Mondo and similar type prints and just threw them in a nice looking glass & black frame from Michaels. I know nothing about this sort of stuff and even looked a little on the internet before and could find nothing concrete...so I went with the $40 frame. They still look great but at the same time I don't want to mess them up.

There no way I can pay $250 a print to have them custom framed. I could possible swing it but my wife would kick my ass. Hell, she was cool with the ones I got because I lied (a little) and said they were around $50 each for the prints. And that price even irritated her a little.

I also read about the UV stuff but mine are in my basement downstairs that has no natural light coming in. So I am cool with that, right?
Old 03-12-15, 03:40 PM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick and dirty answers:
Prints can stick or certain elements of them may stick to the glass in some circumstances.
It is recommended to put them in a frame with either a mat or spacers so that they don't come in contact with the glass.

Custom framing can me done your self for much cheaper if you are handy. Also your glass is fine but you will find that better quality glass will add more clarity and allow your print to really pop, all depends on how much more you are willing to spend.

Also, pics?

Here is a site dedicated to mondo type prints with a helpful, if cluttered sub forum on framing
http://forum.expressobeans.com
Old 03-12-15, 03:53 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quick and dirty answers:
Prints can stick or certain elements of them may stick to the glass in some circumstances.
It is recommended to put them in a frame with either a mat or spacers so that they don't come in contact with the glass.

Custom framing can me done your self for much cheaper if you are handy. Also your glass is fine but you will find that better quality glass will add more clarity and allow your print to really pop, all depends on how much more you are willing to spend.

Also, pics?

Here is a site dedicated to mondo type prints with a helpful, if cluttered sub forum on framing
http://forum.expressobeans.com
Thanks for the info! Mine just may have to survive in the glass frames from Michael's. I just can't spend that much money and I sure as hell am not handy. Luckily, the few I plan to buy or have bought will never leave my possession. If they are crummy once I croak, then I won't care and it will just piss off my kid.

As far as pix go, I could take a few but I thought the thread was more for custom framing than buy from the store type frames.
Old 08-03-15, 05:31 PM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still my favorite:

Need to take some better shots of it though.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 05-16-16 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 05:30 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got these two done this weekend.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 08-10-15, 06:43 PM   #32
DVD Talk Hero

As posted in the 2013 College Basketball Sheep thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'm glad something in this game was!

Thanks for hosting!

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-10-15, 09:02 PM   #33
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love that guardians piece.
Old 05-16-16, 02:50 AM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got this trio back.

Old 05-16-16, 03:12 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Just got this trio back.

Nice. I got a ton of his prints. Let me know if you are trying to track any down.

Old 05-16-16, 11:10 PM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Nice. I got a ton of his prints. Let me know if you are trying to track any down.
Did he stop? I feel like I haven't seen anything from that guy in awhile.
Old 05-17-16, 11:48 AM   #37
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Did he stop? I feel like I haven't seen anything from that guy in awhile.
Sorta. The theater decided to no longer produce prints so that was going to put him out of a job. So he had a big sale to liquidate all of his stock and just vanished. Most people never got their prints and he never responded to any emails or calls. You could even "buy" he still online for a long time but it was just tossing money in a endless pit with nothing to show of it.

Now he's sort of an urban print legend.

Old 05-18-16, 04:59 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-08-17, 02:13 AM   #39
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Flash

Flash

Last edited by SterlingBen; 08-08-17 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 03:31 AM   #40
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Spoiler:
Post it again!
Old 08-08-17, 09:01 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Care to explain the "glass to print" damage? I have recently acquired a few Mondo and similar type prints and just threw them in a nice looking glass & black frame from Michaels. I know nothing about this sort of stuff and even looked a little on the internet before and could find nothing concrete...so I went with the $40 frame. They still look great but at the same time I don't want to mess them up.

There no way I can pay $250 a print to have them custom framed. I could possible swing it but my wife would kick my ass. Hell, she was cool with the ones I got because I lied (a little) and said they were around $50 each for the prints. And that price even irritated her a little.

I also read about the UV stuff but mine are in my basement downstairs that has no natural light coming in. So I am cool with that, right?
Answering an old question. I've seen prints faded from artificial light, so it depends on your lights. If you have humidity in your basement, the print can stick to the glass. Remember that these are slow processes. Pictures hang on walls for years.

Mrs Danger says, "It depends on whether you want to hang them on the wall and enjoy them, or if you have a collectible that you expect to have a resale value."
Old 08-08-17, 05:36 PM   #42
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Post it again!
Oops. Fixed.