DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-01-14, 06:53 AM   #101
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Fast Food Junkie Thread

Touché!

Tried the Taco Bell Quesarito last night. Pretty good. Kinda like a mini Stuft Burrito. About the same size as the original they got rid of, not the newer XXL Stuft Burrito.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 07-01-14, 09:23 AM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Tilde Burger -- ask for it by name!
Old 07-01-14, 10:13 AM   #103
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Carl's Jr is testing a biscuit/donut. Must find and try!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101789618
I wish Hardees would bring back the Caramel Crumb Biscuits or Blueberry Biscuits.
Old 07-10-14, 11:31 PM   #104
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaad..._medium=social

I like the Habit, but I wouldn't put it above In N Out. I don't know what some of the others like Culver's or Burgerville is.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-10-14, 11:37 PM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

How the hell did Culver's rate that high? It is one of the blandest and driest burgers out there. I salt the shit out of their burgers when the family forces me to go there.

The charts also appear to be in the same order as the scarcity of the restaurants.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 07-11-14, 12:45 AM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Of the ones I've had (ones on the west coast), I'd pretty much agree with those rankings.

What's kind of a big deal is this:
Quote:
The rise of fast-casual dining can be largely attributed to Millennials, the report says, who are more likely to go out of their way for a meal that’s higher quality, more authentic and healthier, even for a higher cost.
Of course I feel that way now, now that I'm older, more knowledgeable about food and make more money. But when I was in my 20s, I didn't give a fuck. Give me $.99 burgers until I'm full. Although, back then, the cheap shit was way better than the same cheap shit is now.
Old 07-11-14, 12:50 AM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

I like The Habit but it's not my favorite. They remind me of Jack in the Box patties.

Nations isn't on there, which is a burger chain in the Bay Area. It puts Habit and Smash Burger to shame.

I wouldn't agree with most of those rankings. Qdoba is better than Chipotle and Rubio's.

I do wish they had Schlotzky's out here. I get it every time I'm in Phoenix.
Old 07-11-14, 01:10 AM   #108
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
How the hell did Culver's rate that high? It is one of the blandest and driest burgers out there. I salt the shit out of their burgers when the family forces me to go there.

The charts also appear to be in the same order as the scarcity of the restaurants.
I had the same thought about Culver's rank. Way too high. Though my issue is their burgers are waaaay too salty.

I might change a couple others around on that list (Sonic should be at least a few spots higher imo), but overall I agree with the majority of those rankings.
Old 07-11-14, 01:24 AM   #109
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
I like Arby's. I like the Chicken Corden Bleu sandwich, unfortunetly it is only limited in certain Arby's chain and mine doesn't carry it no more.
They can still make it for you. I order it whenever I go to Arby's and it's not on the menu boards. It's still programmed in the register somehow and/or they probably know what to ring up as equivalency and then tell the kitchen.

I haven't been to Hardee's forever and then I passed one today and saw they've brought back my favorite chicken sandwich ever, the Big Chicken Filet. I had one for lunch and it was awesome.
Old 07-11-14, 10:57 AM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I had the same thought about Culver's rank. Way too high. Though my issue is their burgers are waaaay too salty.
Interesting...

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 07-11-14, 11:12 AM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

I know, it's almost like people have different tastes!
Old 07-11-14, 12:00 PM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

It sounds a little more than just personal preference.

Old 07-11-14, 02:29 PM   #113
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Of course I feel that way now, now that I'm older, more knowledgeable about food and make more money. But when I was in my 20s, I didn't give a fuck. Give me $.99 burgers until I'm full. Although, back then, the cheap shit was way better than the same cheap shit is now.
I think that's more cultural than it is age based. Everyone is a foodie these days and/or worried about their health. That wasn't the case 15-20 years ago.
Old 07-11-14, 03:00 PM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

In-N-Out is hugely overrated but I really have no idea how Five Guys rates that highly. I actually do enjoy Smashburger from time to time though.

I had Shake Shack when I was visiting my sister in NYC, not sure how they built a small empire based on what I wound up with. It was right next to another NYC place called Schnippers which was much better.

I also hit up a place called Cookout on a recent roadtrip. I love the concept of the place: 1980s style decor with 1990s prices (a lot of $0.99 items) but man was it bland food (though according to online reviews its fantastic, and admittingly they are all always busy).
Old 07-11-14, 03:17 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steak 'N' Shake is almost as bad as White Castle in inducing uncontrollable squirts. It's like a bucket of grease falling from your ass with the greatest of ease, meat and cheese and bread balls raining from the asshole like an inverted volcano. It can be an enjoyable experience if you have the right attitude, although the sweaty palms and clamminess can be a bit uncomfortable. Survive the steakburger and you have really proven something.
Old 07-11-14, 03:26 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Steak 'N' Shake is almost as bad as White Castle in inducing uncontrollable squirts. It's like a bucket of grease falling from your ass with the greatest of ease, meat and cheese and bread balls raining from the asshole like an inverted volcano. It can be an enjoyable experience if you have the right attitude, although the sweaty palms and clamminess can be a bit uncomfortable. Survive the steakburger and you have really proven something.
I guess I am lucky because I usually have the triple since their patties are so thin. Never had bowel problems after eating there. I usually have a milkshake so maybe that helps.

Old 07-11-14, 03:30 PM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I had Shake Shack when I was visiting my sister in NYC, not sure how they built a small empire based on what I wound up with. It was right next to another NYC place called Schnippers which was much better.
Shake Shack is the absolute best fast food burger I have ever had. When I was in The City back in 2012 I stumbled across it after going to the Flatiron Building. I'm a sucker for a good burger - I wish I knew about Schnippers at the time. I was asking locals for suggestions after Shake Shack but the other places I tried weren't nearly as good.

They actually have locations in Florida, but not by you. I think they're down in Miami.
Old 07-11-14, 03:36 PM   #118
DVD Talk Hero

I saw they have locations down here now, good for them! I like this current "premium burger war" going on (ie: Five Guys, Smashburger, Shake Shack, etc; )

I was a little disappointed in what I got, but I guess I should preface that it took like 2 hours to get there due to my sister being in panic mode (getting her from her apt in Brooklyn to her job in Manhattan, I was driving, she was panicking over her newly discovered to be lost purse and found bike that she left locked up 4 blocks away for 3 months, all during the 3rd of July rush to flee the city. I think all that can make Peter Lugers unappetizing.)
Old 07-11-14, 08:43 PM   #119
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
They can still make it for you. I order it whenever I go to Arby's and it's not on the menu boards. It's still programmed in the register somehow and/or they probably know what to ring up as equivalency and then tell the kitchen.
Didn't know that, would probably ask them next time I'm there. Thank.

Love the Five Guys burger but it's pretty hard to find a parking place since it next door to Chipotle which is very popular here in my town.
Old 07-11-14, 10:03 PM   #120
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Didn't know that, would probably ask them next time I'm there. Thank.
You're welc.
Old 07-11-14, 11:53 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that Culver's salt thing is odd ... I wonder if it is a taste thing or if somebody is screwing up in the kitchen. Either way, their root beer is pretty good!

Here is my theory: the more scarce the restaurant, the better the food is perceived to be by people who do not have access to it. For example, we do not have ChickFilet around here. People rant and rave about how awesome ChickFilet is and how they always stop at one when in other cities. I finally tried it while out of town ... it's OK.

We don't have a Jack-In-The-Box around here either ... so I'm always convinced that is what I want when I pass one. I cannot recall the last time I was pleased after making that decision.

Last example ... there was a time, not that long ago, when we did not have Taco Bells in Springfield. Seriously! A group of my co-workers and I were travelling out of town regularly for projects and we would select our routes so we could stop at a Taco Bell on the way. Now that they are back, the thought of eating there disgusts me.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 07-12-14, 12:02 AM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

I completely agree about Chick-Fil-A. Growing up in Western New York, we didn't have most of the chain restaurants that the rest of the country had (lots of local ones, though). Whenever I went to visit relatives that lived in the South, I always wanted to go there and I thought it was the greatest.

We have four of them here, and I think I've been to them twice in 8 years. The allure was gone.

Don't work yourself up about Jack in the Box. I like it, but in terms of quality it has to be pretty low on my list. It's the only burger place that honestly makes me feel like a lethargic slug in a coma after every meal, regardless of what it is.
Old 07-12-14, 12:18 AM   #123
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll grab a spicy chicken from Chick-Fil-A once in awhile, but i've never thought it was particularly great either.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-12-14, 04:07 AM   #124
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I like The Habit but it's not my favorite. They remind me of Jack in the Box patties.

Nations isn't on there, which is a burger chain in the Bay Area. It puts Habit and Smash Burger to shame.

I wouldn't agree with most of those rankings. Qdoba is better than Chipotle and Rubio's.

I do wish they had Schlotzky's out here. I get it every time I'm in Phoenix.
Yup, Nation's makes a tasty burger. We just got one in my town and the lines were out the door 24/7 for two weeks. $5.50 gets you an open faced 1/3 lb burger, grilled to order, buried in chili. A guilty pleasure. They also serve huge breakfasts all day and their pies and cheesecake are pretty swell.
Old 07-12-14, 12:40 PM   #125
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
We don't have a Jack-In-The-Box around here either ... so I'm always convinced that is what I want when I pass one. I cannot recall the last time I was pleased after making that decision.
I love going to Jack-In-The-Box but they're not that great. But what they do have is variety;Burgers, chicken, salads, tacos, rice bowls AND you can order anything off the menu anytime.