DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-06-14, 07:50 AM   #101
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I was at a Star Trek convention around the time Star Trek 6 was being filmed. There was an autograph area and most of the ST folks were there signing away and then there was this one lady sitting all alone at a desk with a stack of photos. It was Kim Cattrall. I had no idea who she was - and neither did anyone else there. I asked if she was going to be in the new movie and she said she was and that she had a pretty big part in it so I graciously took an autograph. I remember she was looking a little sad and like she needed a friend .. or at least a sign or something.
That doesn't make any sense, since Kim should have been well-known to sci-fi fans for her BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA role (not to mention POLICE ACADEMY). Those must have been some very sheltered Trek fans at that con.
Old 06-06-14, 07:58 AM   #102
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I won't pay for an autograph per se, but I will pay more for something that I want that is autographed. I will donate to a Kickstarter that includes autographed items, I will pay more for an ebay auction that has (what I believe to be authentically) autographed items, but to have Lou Ferrigno sign an 8x10? Meh.
Old 06-06-14, 10:21 AM   #103
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
That doesn't make any sense, since Kim should have been well-known to sci-fi fans for her BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA role (not to mention POLICE ACADEMY). Those must have been some very sheltered Trek fans at that con.
That's the way I remember it going down. Maybe it just so happened to be that way when I walked in the room. There were no signs or anything say who they were so maybe she looked different or something. I never saw BTILC either (And still haven't. Am I missing something amazing?).

Sadly, as I did with all my autographs back then, I thumb-tacked it on my wall along with all my others so they all faded over time or tore or whatever. A shame.. today all my signatures would probably be worth $5
Old 06-06-14, 11:37 AM   #104
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I never saw BTILC either (And still haven't. Am I missing something amazing?).
YES.

Carpenter's best movie, IMO.
Old 06-06-14, 01:50 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Those must have been some very sheltered Trek fans at that con.
I'd say that's a good guess
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 06-06-14, 02:16 PM   #106
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
YES.

Carpenter's best movie, IMO.
I don't know about best, but certainly his most fun to watch.
Old 06-06-14, 02:55 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I don't know about best, but certainly his most fun to watch.
That would actually be "They Live."
Old 06-06-14, 03:20 PM   #108
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Over the years I have gotten Dick Tufeld's on a big B-9 (robot from Lost in Space), George Romero's on a Dawn of the Dead poster, and Barbara March and Gwynyth Walsh (Lursa and B'Etor) on a photo as well as John de Lancie on a Q T-shirt for my wife.

None cost more than $40.

My wife got me Jonathan Breck on a Creeper photo, I doubt she paid much.

When I go to the Walk of Fame, I'm there primarily for the short chat and handshake, and I'll buy something small or pay for a photo op usually. For instance, Eddie McClintock at DC and he was incredibly warm and funny. I bought a couple of WH13 T-shirts he designs and sells. And as a member of the 501st, I've gotten to hang out with dozens of Star Wars actors.

Don't get me started on the signed books though.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 06-06-14, 03:45 PM   #109

Id pay for Maynard James Keenan.
Old 06-06-14, 05:11 PM   #110

$0 because I don't worship celebrities. I did get John Landis' autograph when he signed a copy of the Fangoria magazine he was reading and gave to me when he was through with it though.
Old 06-06-14, 05:26 PM   #111

I don't get people who put personalized autographed items on Ebay. I get the people who would buy them even less.
Old 06-06-14, 05:26 PM   #112
DVD Talk Godfather

because wanting an autograph = worshipping a celebrity.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-06-14, 05:30 PM   #113

When I was kid I would mail baseball cards to players with a postage paid return envelope. Several sent them back but the ones who didn't always ended up getting injured. I like to think I am the reason McGwire hurt his back. Julio Franco signed my card and also sent some other items in a huge packet. Perhaps that is why he was able to keep playing until the age of 98.
Old 06-06-14, 08:15 PM   #114
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I would never pay for an autograph from anyone.
Maybe on a movie poster I'd get an autograph but I'd rather have a picture with the person. Can't put a price on the picture I once got with an intoxicated Lemmy Kilmister at the airport.
Old 06-06-14, 08:50 PM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
When I was kid I would mail baseball cards to players with a postage paid return envelope. Several sent them back but the ones who didn't always ended up getting injured. I like to think I am the reason McGwire hurt his back. Julio Franco signed my card and also sent some other items in a huge packet. Perhaps that is why he was able to keep playing until the age of 98.
Damn you ! You started the ball rolling to his steroid use and now he wont be in the HOF all because you wanted his damn signature !!!
I was a huge "Bash Brothers" fan and have tons of McGwire and Canseco stuff in several boxes.
Old 06-06-14, 09:07 PM   #116
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I don't get people who put personalized autographed items on Ebay. I get the people who would buy them even less.
I think something personalized is more interesting them just a scribbled name. If it is personalized, it tells a story. I think collectors would rather have a photo signed, "Hey Stacey, thanks for the humjob - Your pal, Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra"
Old 06-07-14, 06:21 AM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

I've never paid for a signature. I have a few signed books that I would have bought anyway. Chuck Renslow ran out of books and shipped one to me at his own expense, which was cool.
Old 06-07-14, 06:57 AM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Round View Post
I spent a little over 8 thousand for a certified James Dean autograph last year besides that the most if spent is 2,300 but it depends on the person,picture and my liking for the price
Was it as an investment or personal collection?

People have the right to spend their money as they see fit, and memorabilia (and something with a tangible connection to a person) has intrinsic value. I'd rather have something iconic (recognizable costumes worn in a production, musical instruments used, etc.), especially since they'd be much rarer. It's like the difference between owning a pair of Dorothy's red shoes actually worn by Garland and owning a washcloth she used at a hotel.

I realize Dean died while very young, but most celebrities from that era signed thousands upon thousands of items when paying bills, signing contracts, etc. Signed personal letters, especially those with some connection to the person's career, go beyond a mere autograph which could be dashed off to a complete stranger. But I suppose Dean & other celebs who didn't live that long after becoming famous have rarer autographs, and collectors will pay for that.
Old 06-07-14, 06:59 AM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't a piece of used toilet paper from Elvis be worth a lot more than his sig since you'd have his actual DNA to clone him?
Old 06-07-14, 07:33 AM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing.

I have a bunch of autographs from back in the day when I had my limousine service. Often we did the work as part of a promotion for work through the radio or TV station. Since we weren't being paid directly I didn't hesitate to grab an autograph. I was sneaky though. I'd ask them to sign the trip sheet.

Some I have:

Bill Cosby
Kim Cattrall
Debra Shelton
Alexandra Paul
Kristi Yamaguchi
Darlane Fluegel
Kirk Cameron
Chelsea Noble
Diane Sawyer
Lou Graham
Donny Osmond

Crap-loads of sports figures prominent in the early 90's

I have a couple hundred all-together but they're in the basement collecting dust
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 390 BR titles, 15 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 70 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 06-07-14, 09:53 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

I may have paid for an autograph but I reallycan't rememebr.

When I was a kid I did get many Phillies at the Vet after games.
Got a bunch of them when they were on the double A Reading Phillies too.

My dad got Mike Schmidt for me at a sports bar Schmidt was part of.

Have a signed The Ice Harvest by Harold Ramis that I got from Home theater forum.

I have a couple of the TT signed blurays.

I'm friends someone who inks for DC and Marvel. Back when Lois and Clark was on I went to a convention with my friend and I saw John Shea walking by so I went to him and asked him for an autograph. He gave me a quizzical look and looked at his helper too but he was very nice and signed my notepad.

Apparently I wasn't supposed to do that but no one got in trouble.

I also have a bunch of comics and a few Aliens action figures signed by my friend too.

A good handful of comics signed by Bill Willingham when he was at my friends house.

Have two Barry Manilow sigs.
One from when he was at some kind of event that took place in Philly late 70's and one from his fan club
that i got in the mail also middle to late 70's.

My wife bought me a mini hockey mask signed by Lindros.
I did buy one that I just remembered.
Paid about $30 for Wilbert Montgomery mini helmet when he was signing at a local mall about 15 years ago.

I got Robin Roberts to sign his Starting Lineup figure in '96 during the all star game events.
My favorte signiature is from Richie Ashburn at the same event. He signed his figure and my wife took a picture of that one for me. Shook his hand.
Also got Dave Parker but not sure where that one is.

When Asia started touring again about 7 years ago with the original lineup we saw them at the Keswick
Theater near Philly, they were givng away posters and all 4 members sat at a table and signed for every person who was at the sold out show after the concert.

I also had a signed Playbill by Penn and Teller after a show in Philly but that one is gone too.

So all free except for the Lindros and Montgomery mask and helmet.
Old 06-07-14, 10:01 PM   #122

Mark Hamill, someone i'd wanted to meet since i was 5, spelt my name wrong at nycc a few years ago. he and his reps were cool though and fixed things but it started me on a string of getting celebs to personalize what they sign.
I got Ian Mcdiarmid to write: to bryan, come the darkside, we know how to spell your name.
adrian paul: there can be only one bryan with a y.
cary elwes: unlike some other actors, i can spell your name correctly.
david tennant: allons-y, bryan with a y
karl urban: dammit jim, its spelt bryan with a y.

i have a few more to, its great fun to tell the story and get them to go for it since you're lucky if you get 20 seconds with some of them.

I've also learned to try to say something to them that they havent heard a million times. Cary elwes looked bored and i heard everyone in front of me telling him the same stuff over and over. i told him i enjoyed his appearances on Pysch and he lit up, and we had a conversation.
Old 06-07-14, 10:38 PM   #123
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was at a screening of The Room and I bought the blu ray. Tommy Wiseau signed autographs and took pictures if you bought his merch, which I thought was cool. I got him to sign the blu ray and told him to write, "You're my favorite customer"
Old 06-09-14, 10:57 PM   #124
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends. If it were someone in whom I'm genuinely interested (and a lot of them are dead now ), I might value it. If I had the chance, with very little hassle, to get the autograph of someone in whom I had little interest, I might get and then see if I could get anything for it.
Gillian Flynn
Old 06-10-14, 08:27 AM   #125
Banned

Adam West - more than 100 bucks but not over 250