DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-04-14, 11:39 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I wouldn't pay for an autograph, but I don't think it's outrageous to charge for them at a convention. If you have five thousand people at a Star Trek convention and William Shatner shows up for autographs, you'd end up with five thousand people standing in line. Make people shell out a hundred bucks for a signature, and it'll drop to a more manageable number.
Yes, that's probably the reason it is done. Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in anyone's autograph, so it's no skin off my ass whether they charge money or not. What I hate are the professional autograph scuzzballs who make a living off selling them. Like paparazzi, they are the parasites of pop culture.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 06-04-14, 11:49 PM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see this at SDCC all the time. Hoards of these guys hang out in back of the convention center where there are large yachts that celebs do interviews and such on.
Well these guys have boxes and totes of who is who and they wait for them to board and when they get off, shoving glossy photos in their faces to autographs. Once done they put them in sleeves and you just know they go home with loads of signed photos to post on eBay.
Last year Joe Manganiello was coming off the dock and guys were shoving pictures in his face. He's a pretty smart guy to remember who he already signed when he first went on the yacht. I laughed at the way he looked at some guys who tried to get multiple signatures because he knows who they are and what they do. Some guy tried to have him sign 2 of the same pictures and he looked at him and said "I already signed enough for you today" and had this glare
Old 06-05-14, 12:34 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Norman Reedus? Popular movies? Yes, he was in Boondock Saints but outside of the internet 10 years ago it's not really mainstream.
Blade 2. #neverforget
Old 06-05-14, 12:37 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't see myself paying more than $50 for an autograph personally. Even then it would have to be someone I really enjoy or from a film or series that I really enjoy. I only have a couple autographs, one from WWE commentator JR (got it for free) and a signed James Worthy hat (not really a huge fan but my dad met him at a convention and got it for me).
Old 06-05-14, 12:46 AM   #80
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last year at SDCC I paid $40 for Kirk Hammett's book "Too Much Horror Business" and he signed it free (guess you could say the book was $20 and the sig was $20). Then later that day Famous Monsters had a special edition cover with Kirk on the front. I paid $10 for that and signature was free.
For me, it's more than what I aid because I got to meet the person, say a few words and actually get a response, as well as maybe getting a few pictures, which I did with Kirk. So to me they are worth more than what I paid and as they are personalized to me, it's not like I can just sell to anyone at some enormous inflated price.
Old 06-05-14, 01:08 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
I see this at SDCC all the time. Hoards of these guys hang out in back of the convention center where there are large yachts that celebs do interviews and such on.
Well these guys have boxes and totes of who is who and they wait for them to board and when they get off, shoving glossy photos in their faces to autographs. Once done they put them in sleeves and you just know they go home with loads of signed photos to post on eBay.

Blog | Twitter
Old 06-05-14, 01:19 AM   #82
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't pay 1 cent for an autograph of anyone on earth. Now for a blowjob or handjob from a celeb I would shell out like 20-30$ for an old pro like Cloris Leachman to go to town.
Old 06-05-14, 01:25 AM   #83
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I wouldn't pay 1 cent for an autograph of anyone on earth. Now for a blowjob or handjob from a celeb I would shell out like 20-30$ for an old pro like Cloris Leachman to go to town.
Given you could re-sell a lot of autographs for far more then 1 cent, I most certainly would.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-05-14, 07:47 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I wouldn't pay 1 cent for an autograph of anyone on earth.
Says the guy who took the name of a "celebrity" ... well, an ex-NFL murderer thug.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 06-05-14, 07:53 AM   #85
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I charge $5.
Old 06-05-14, 08:04 AM   #86
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a ton of nice autographed stuff from local sports guys - really nice framed jerseys in my home office. I have only paid for an autographed movie poster from Moneyball and it's signed by Brad Pitt. I think I paid $110 and it was a charity deal. That said, I'd pay whatever I feel an autograph is worth to me. I certainly don't collect sentimental items in the hopes that I can flip them for profit later.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 06-05-14, 08:05 AM   #87
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
I charge $5.
I got your autograph for free in Vegas in 1995... remember? You actually approached me and offered it up.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 06-05-14, 08:13 AM   #88
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I got your autograph for free in Vegas in 1995... remember? You actually approached me and offered it up.
Only because I was drunk, Rob. Sorry.
Old 06-05-14, 09:15 AM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Not a Porky's fan, I see.
Or a Big Trouble in Little China fan...
Old 06-05-14, 11:22 AM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

$25 is my answer.

I have two of these....
Spoiler:
(...size)

One is hanging on the front door of my house....

The other is on a shelf inside. On the back of the inside one are autographs of Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann, that I collected over a couple of years of attending Chicago TARDIS.
Old 06-05-14, 11:41 AM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

I think the reason some of these people charge is because so many people come up to them with a stack of things to autograph only so they can sell it later.

I've seen this with athletes. A few years ago there was a charity event outside my office building. A bunch of athletes were there, Eli Manning being the most popular. I saw people holding stacks of 8x10's and even someone holding some footballs. They were all badgering Eli to sign them, clearly so they can flip them on Ebay. It's pathetic and if Eli said to those guys that he was charging $100 per autograph, I'd completely understand. Not because he deserves a cut of the money (though he absolutely does) but because fuck those people. They're ruining it for the rest of us.

And for the OP's question: $0. I don't get the point of autographs. I see celebrities from time to time walking around. I don't like to bother them for an autograph, seems pointless. If the circumstance is right I'll tell them I'm a fan. If the circumstance is really right I'll ask for a picture. My favorite was when I saw Jeremy Renner standing outside a hotel. I was walking by, made eye contact with him and raised my hand looking for a high five. He obliged and gave me a high five. I just kept walking right past, didn't even look back.
Old 06-05-14, 04:44 PM   #92
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Double zero, double zero.

Actually, it's worse than useless to me because it means I would stoop to the shallow level of placing intrinsic value on the worth of someone's stuck up ego.
Old 06-05-14, 05:07 PM   #93
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because they are all ego maniacs, right ?
Old 06-05-14, 06:15 PM   #94
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
I get why they charge. They're going to sign a FREE autograph and most people are going to run home and sell it (or try to sell it) on eBay.
Yup. That and managing crowds, as mentioned, and the extra income don't hurt for a lot of older celebs.

The way the deal usually works is you buy an 8x10 for 20-50 bucks and the celeb signs it "for free". Over the years, I've picked up autographed photos from Richard Roundtree, Pam Grier, James Hong, Ken Foree, and Danny Glover for around $25-30 each. Roundtree was a gent, Grier was super-nice (and she doted over a friend's little boy), and Hong was pretty cool. Glover was a grumpy old fart, but I can't really blame him. Nicest guy I've ever seen at a con was probably Tony Todd, who was really friendly and gracious to everyone. Meg Foster seemed pretty nice, too.

The most I've ever paid was 50 or so for an autographed photo of Adam West holding that bomb over his head from Batman: The Movie. Totally worth it, and I got a fist-bump, too!

Someone mentioned getting an autograph from celebs you meet on the street. I don't think I would bother someone I ran into like that for one, especially if we had a chat or hung out for a while. The dynamic seems different.
Old 06-05-14, 11:08 PM   #95
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had no idea people had to pay to have items they already own signed. Those prices are crazy. I know it costs money if buying from a third party seller yet not from them directly at a convention. As for myself, nope. I don't care and the only items I have signed are art based, like a graphic novel etc...
Old 06-05-14, 11:59 PM   #96
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a Kobe Bryant autographed photo, but that was a present and didn't buy it myself. And a Jim Lee autographed comic that a friend got me from a convention. Honestly I might pay $50 or something for someone famous that I absolutely love. There's some intrinsic value (and some monetary, depending on who ) for certain people who's type of work you enjoy.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-06-14, 01:44 AM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

First inclination is to say "nothing", but that's not true. I have paid a little extra for autographed comics (if the dealer was reputable & the sig. was nice) and DVDs, books, or posters, but usually there was something extra involved. For instance, I paid a tiny bit more for a Sugarfoot season signed by Will Hutchins (really nice signature, too) even though I knew it would be cheaper later; however, I also wanted to get a first pressing rather than a later burned copy. One slight regret was getting Mickey Rooney's signed edition of Andy Hardy movies that came out a year or so ago (not long before he died); the signature resembles something you'd see on a heart monitor, lie detector test, or an Etch-a-Sketch. Don't know what they paid him to sign, but it was too much.

I can understand charging a nominal fee at conventions to control crowds. The truly cheap people (like me) or those whose principles won't allow them to pay aren't going to shell out $10-20 bucks any sooner than they'd pay $100. And I understand a limit on items...I'd tell them one item only (or charge them additional fees per item). But don't the celebs get appearance fees anyway (in addition to hawking any products they might bring)? It seems pretty insulting to sell a customer a book from the stack you brought to sell (at full price) and then tack on a fee to sign it.

I'd never bother a celebrity at a public place like a restaurant...to me, they ought to be treated like any other citizen. Saying hi to them if they seem to be in a good mood seems okay as long as they aren't expected to stop and chat with everybody while their ice cream melts.

The few autographs I've obtained in person were from favorite artists or musicians (Richard Thompson, Barry Windsor-Smith, etc.) because it commemorated the occasion and was a nice reminder of meeting them. Don't like taking items to sign...just seems to be presumptuous. I'd rather buy a book at the con or CD at the concert, especially when it helps support the touring artist (Thompson, Gillian Welch) who may be critically-acclaimed and doing fine but not pulling in millions for appearing on an awards show every other week and who doesn't chart on Billboard. Rather just chat amiably with them for a few minutes. Got to hear Lawrence Juber at a free concert (fantastic guitarist; he toured with Wings for a couple of years) and got to hang out afterward & listen to him hold court and tell war stories of the rock heyday. Bought a couple of his CDs & had them autographed to a young teenage friend of hours who plays guitar and sings in a local band, but the main thing was getting to hear the stories.

When I was younger, a cousin who was a neighbor of Brooks Robinson sent my dad an autographed baseball. I thought that was pretty neat, and we still have the baseball. More a reminder of my dad than Mr. Robinson, though.
Old 06-06-14, 01:48 AM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
$20 is my cap, which I've only done a few times:
Traci Lords
Hope you checked her ID or at least got her to date the autograph.
Old 06-06-14, 04:23 AM   #99

I spent a little over 8 thousand for a certified James Dean autograph last year besides that the most if spent is 2,300 but it depends on the person,picture and my liking for the price
Old 06-06-14, 07:25 AM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

$20 for Tamiak to sign my DVD of The Last Dragon and included taking a picture with him.
$20 for a print, signature and photo from WWE Diva Maria.
$30 for Sam Jones to sign my DVD of My Chauffeur, also with a pic.

2 years ago Stan Lee was signing at Heroes con, and the sig and meet was $120 I believe and I passed on that. Way too much IMO.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.