DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-04-14, 07:15 PM   #51
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
The ones that ask a fee are not today's biggest stars that make millions. They are usually B-movie stars or has beens.
That's not always the case. A con in my town last year had pretty much the entire cast of The Walking Dead, and they were like $50 a pop or $300 for a photo with all of them. That's one of the most popular shows on TV.

William Shatner and Gillian Anderson were there as well, each charging over $100. But I got Fred Dekker's autograph for $10 at that con because no one knew who he was, but I love his movies. It seems that these days the bigger the star, the more they ask. When I was younger it was the reverse... you paid for the people who hadn't worked in years while the big stars really didn't care to give out one for free.

I get the whole thing that some people will take a signature and sell it on ebay, which is why most people now will only personalize something instead of signing just their signature, since personalizing it makes it pretty much worthless to anyone except you. But I guess my question is why do they care? If I was famous and someone sold my signature online I just can't see myself caring all that much. Especially if I was already rich.
Old 06-04-14, 07:16 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on the person. I paid $20 for Kenny Johnson, the executive producer of The Incredible Hulk and V, to sign my The Incredible Hulk season 1 DVD 5 years ago. Super nice guy and very personable. At the same convention, I paid a $10 or 15 early bird admission ticket and got the entire cast and crew of Jericho to sign my season 1 DVD. For the record, Lennie James has an awful signature.
Old 06-04-14, 07:16 PM   #53

When I was in high school, I paid $20 for some Black Label Society CDs in order to meet Zakk Wylde at Ozzfest, it was pretty cool at the time.

Funny this thread comes up today though, I got free passes to a private acoustic show by Chvrches. Before I left for work, I debated on bringing a LP to have signed and it took all of about two seconds to decide that I actually don't give a shit.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." - Roy Batty
Old 06-04-14, 07:20 PM   #54

I don't ever pay for them. Nor do I go out of my way to even try to get them. Getting an autograph is cool as a fan, but I don't get the thrill of waiting in a line for a 20 second meeting.
Old 06-04-14, 07:21 PM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

Back in 1992, when I was into collecting sports cards, I saw some Dodgers prospects named Mike Piazza and Billy Ashley signing autographs. The convention wanted $4 for each. I never paid for autographs and never heard of either guy at the time, so I passed. Obviously most baseball fans know that Piazza went on to having one of the most illustrious careers in MLB. Ashley not so much. One of my biggest regrets not meeting Piazza and getting his signature and a picture.
Old 06-04-14, 07:25 PM   #56
DVD Talk Ruler

I was at a Star Trek convention around the time Star Trek 6 was being filmed. There was an autograph area and most of the ST folks were there signing away and then there was this one lady sitting all alone at a desk with a stack of photos. It was Kim Cattrall. I had no idea who she was - and neither did anyone else there. I asked if she was going to be in the new movie and she said she was and that she had a pretty big part in it so I graciously took an autograph. I remember she was looking a little sad and like she needed a friend .. or at least a sign or something.
Old 06-04-14, 07:49 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Back in 1992, when I was into collecting sports cards, I saw some Dodgers prospects named Mike Piazza and Billy Ashley signing autographs. The convention wanted $4 for each. I never paid for autographs and never heard of either guy at the time, so I passed. Obviously most baseball fans know that Piazza went on to having one of the most illustrious careers in MLB. Ashley not so much. One of my biggest regrets not meeting Piazza and getting his signature and a picture.
I was at a convention in the early 90s where I passed up a chance for Mohammed Ali and Sandy Koufax autographs for $50 because I thought they were charging too much. Now Ali's autograph alone can be worth up to $1000. I regret not getting both autographs.
Old 06-04-14, 07:50 PM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I was at a Star Trek convention around the time Star Trek 6 was being filmed. There was an autograph area and most of the ST folks were there signing away and then there was this one lady sitting all alone at a desk with a stack of photos. It was Kim Cattrall. I had no idea who she was - and neither did anyone else there. I asked if she was going to be in the new movie and she said she was and that she had a pretty big part in it so I graciously took an autograph. I remember she was looking a little sad and like she needed a friend .. or at least a sign or something.
Not a Porky's fan, I see.
Old 06-04-14, 07:55 PM   #59

Quote:
I swear that almost every con I've ever been to has been attended by Paris Themmen, the guy who played Mike TeeVee in the original Willy Wonka, and never did anything else to my knowledge. His booth is ALWAYS empty. It became a running joke for years between me and my friends to find the Mike TeeVee booth and snap a picture of him all alone. I can honestly say that in nearly 20 years of going to cons that I have never seen a single person get in his line. I have no idea how he can afford to be there.

There's always someone with no line, and they always look sad.
Old 06-04-14, 08:13 PM   #60
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only collect "24" related autographs, in-person and fan mail.

My favorite one from my collection is an in-person one from Annie Wersching at a local meet-and-greet event.
Old 06-04-14, 08:23 PM   #61
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
In addition to not knowing who she was, they were probably afraid to approach the pretty girl

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 06-04-14, 08:40 PM   #62
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I paid $50 to have Sean Astin sign my Toy Soldiers laserdisc. He also gave us a high five.
I paid $40 to have Giancarlo Esposito sign my Breaking Bad barrel (and I shook his hand twice).
I paid $25 to have Felicia Day sign an 8x10, and she said my daughter was awesome.
I paid $0 to have John Higgins sign my Watchmen graphic novel.
I paid a few extra dollars to have the band Sinch sign one of their CDs before shipping it to me.
Same as above for Matthew Good.

Every one of those was totally worth it, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
At my city's most recent expo, this person was George Romero. Oh, and the dude who played Carlton on Fresh Prince.
Old 06-04-14, 08:58 PM   #63
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I swear that almost every con I've ever been to has been attended by Paris Themmen, the guy who played Mike TeeVee in the original Willy Wonka, and never did anything else to my knowledge. His booth is ALWAYS empty. It became a running joke for years between me and my friends to find the Mike TeeVee booth and snap a picture of him all alone. I can honestly say that in nearly 20 years of going to cons that I have never seen a single person get in his line. I have no idea how he can afford to be there.

This is the SDCC version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
At my city's most recent expo, this person was George Romero. Oh, and the dude who played Carlton on Fresh Prince.
Are there really people who do not know who George Romero is that attend a Con !?
Old 06-04-14, 09:26 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I saw this at SDCC in 2011 and the dude that plays Chewbacca had no line and was sitting by himself. Then again, I also heard he was a dick, so that may have had something to do with it.
Old 06-04-14, 09:29 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

I only have one autographed item and that was when I went to Wondercon in 2006 (I was banging a chick that worked for one of the vendors and she hooked me up with a vendor's pass in exchange for dick) and I met Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. They were signing that giant 4K comic that had been certified by World Records as the largest comic book in the world. They both signed it, were gracious (Gene busted my balls and couldn't stop staring at my friend's tits), and that was that. I paid $50 for it.
Old 06-04-14, 09:33 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't pay for an autograph, but I don't think it's outrageous to charge for them at a convention. If you have five thousand people at a Star Trek convention and William Shatner shows up for autographs, you'd end up with five thousand people standing in line. Make people shell out a hundred bucks for a signature, and it'll drop to a more manageable number.
Old 06-04-14, 09:43 PM   #67
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
(I was banging a chick that worked for one of the vendors and she hooked me up with a vendor's pass in exchange for dick)
Sweet fuckin' deal, dude! Congrats!
Old 06-04-14, 09:51 PM   #68
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I wouldn't pay for an autograph, but I don't think it's outrageous to charge for them at a convention. If you have five thousand people at a Star Trek convention and William Shatner shows up for autographs, you'd end up with five thousand people standing in line. Make people shell out a hundred bucks for a signature, and it'll drop to a more manageable number.
Agreed. I also think with the bigger names it's not about the money it's about their time. Would anyone here fly to Winnipeg* and spend 8 hours on a Sat. shaking hands with mouth breathers when they could be on their yacht in the tropics with a dozen bikini clad models? The higher price incentivises it.

*no offense to anyone in Winnipeg, the name just jumped to mind.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-04-14, 10:57 PM   #69

Quote:
That's not always the case. A con in my town last year had pretty much the entire cast of The Walking Dead, and they were like $50 a pop or $300 for a photo with all of them. That's one of the most popular shows on TV.

To be fair though, anyone who stars on The Walking Dead doesn't exactly have very good job security.
Old 06-04-14, 10:58 PM   #70
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Are there really people who do not know who George Romero is that attend a Con !?
I think it was more about the fact that he comes here every damn year, and he was at his autograph booth nearly all day every day. So I'm sure he got a good number of people who would go get his autograph, but every time I walked by, he was just sitting there looking around or reading.
Most of the major guests had 3 or 4 signing/photo sessions that were only an hour long (two hours tops).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
*no offense to anyone in Winnipeg, the name just jumped to mind.
Don't worry, it's a shithole.
Old 06-04-14, 11:06 PM   #71
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it's outrageous to charge if you're at someplace like a convention, but I wouldn't pay.
Old 06-04-14, 11:06 PM   #72

I don't think I've ever paid for an autograph outright. Have done a few things where you have to buy something and you get something signed (ex: bought CD, got it autographed personally by WWE star Chris Jericho and his band) or as part of a bigger package (included game ticket, t shirt, chance to meet Mark Grace and get autograph etc.)
Old 06-04-14, 11:11 PM   #73
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

William Shatner and Gillian Anderson were there as well, each charging over $100. But I got Fred Dekker's autograph for $10 at that con because no one knew who he was, but I love his movies. It seems that these days the bigger the star, the more they ask. When I was younger it was the reverse... you paid for the people who hadn't worked in years while the big stars really didn't care to give out one for free.

I get the whole thing that some people will take a signature and sell it on ebay, which is why most people now will only personalize something instead of signing just their signature, since personalizing it makes it pretty much worthless to anyone except you. But I guess my question is why do they care? If I was famous and someone sold my signature online I just can't see myself caring all that much. Especially if I was already rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
To be fair though, anyone who stars on The Walking Dead doesn't exactly have very good job security.
In all fairness to the others on the show, Norman Reedus is probably the only one that people have seen in popular movies. I know Scott Wilson has been around but not sure those who watch Walking Dead have seen much of anything he has done.
Old 06-04-14, 11:23 PM   #74

Norman Reedus? Popular movies? Yes, he was in Boondock Saints but outside of the internet 10 years ago it's not really mainstream.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 06-04-14, 11:30 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More than what anyone else on the show has done. It's only now some of them are getting work on nearly direct to video movies.
What I'm saying is he's not just the most popular on the show, but probably more well known as Im sure fans have seen Boondock Saints, Pandorum, Blade II