DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-04-14, 02:16 PM   #26
Banned

Re: So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Sylvester Stallone at NYCC: $395
Seriously or is there a typo there?
Old 06-04-14, 02:36 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Well you have seen the box office from his last few films haven't you?

Any-whoo, I grew up in San Diego and went to the comic con on a yearly basis from when it was at the El Cortez hotel and then the old convention center downtown.
I'd stand in line to get all kinds of comic related autographs for free. I picked up part of my comic collection a while ago from my mom and enjoyed looking through old comics I had signed (Stan Lee multiple times, John Romita Sr and Jr, Chris Claremont, etc.). Even went to a local comic store when I was much younger and had Jack Kirby sign some stuff.

Loved getting the free autographs that just cost the time waiting in line.
Old 06-04-14, 02:50 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

It's very rare that I pay for an autograph, and never more than $20. I paid $20 for a Tom Savini autograph, mostly because it was at this random haunted house that I went to in Orlando instead of going to Halloween Horror Nights. I didn't realize he was going to be there, but I was wearing a Night of the Living Dead shirt at the time.

I paid $20 for a Neal Adams autograph in My Green Arrow/Green Lantern hardcover, but only because someone else got me into the convention for free and $20 was the cost of the ticket.

I also paid $20 for a George Romero autograph. What pisses me off is the SDCC booth putting it on also made me buy a book for waiting in line. I figured the book would get me an autograph, but then I got to the front of the line and was hit with a double whammy.
Old 06-04-14, 02:54 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Never more than the price of admission. My kick has been going to special screenings of films and trying to get a poster signed by the guest speaker which was the director of the film. Screenings range from $12 - $40 depending on the film/guest speaker.

I spent $10 to get into a local comic book show and got John Woo to sign my poster for free.
Old 06-04-14, 02:59 PM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I paid $20 for a Neal Adams autograph in My Green Arrow/Green Lantern hardcover, but only because someone else got me into the convention for free and $20 was the cost of the ticket.
I guess his stock went down. At my local comic shop right now:

Quote:
Comic Icon, Neal Adams Signing
WHERE Mostly Comics - 413 St. Paul St. in St. Catharines
WHEN Wednesday, June 4, 2014
TIME 4-7pm
Neal Adams, an icon in the comic world, will be at the store doing a signing. He will be with us from 4pm - 7pm. The 1st signature will be free and any after that will be $10.
Old 06-04-14, 03:02 PM   #31
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In the 80s and 90s pretty much anyone would sign anything for $20 or less. Many were free. Now that cons are no longer small geekfests and have become such huge businesses, the only people you'll get to sign for that price are people with titles like "third extra from the left in The Phantom Menace."

I paid for some autographs back in the day, but never more than $20. I still go to cons now, but the ridiculous prices have prevented me from getting any signatures for almost the last 10 years. Gene Simmons was at a con I went to last year charging $500 per signature and had a line two hundred people deep. I couldn't believe it.

Entertainers have definitely gotten greedy. The only ones I still get regularly for free are from my favorite authors when they do book signings.
Old 06-04-14, 03:08 PM   #32
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Happily paid $60 for Stan Lee's signature a few weeks ago. Paid $100 for a Nolan Ryan autographed baseball during a silent auction at a fundraiser once. There are a few other athletes I would pay for their signature, but no more than $100.

I get why they charge. They're going to sign a FREE autograph and most people are going to run home and sell it (or try to sell it) on eBay.
Old 06-04-14, 03:09 PM   #33

That's crazy, only got one signature in my life Paul Giamatti and it was only cause he happen to be at the screening and only after my gf pushed me to say hi to the man

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 06-04-14, 03:10 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I guess his stock went down. At my local comic shop right now:
Not necessarily. A lot of times, prices are dictated by the venue. I know a minor sports celebrity, and he had an appearance booked at a sports convention, and he was getting paid an appearance fee by the venue, but the venue was charging for his autograph.

He actually wasn't very happy with the arrangement, and promised something extra to anyone who managed to make it to him without paying on his twitter.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 06-04-14, 03:47 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Today you need to pay to get in, pay to hear them speak, pay for an autograph .. forget it.
Exactly! There's actually a horror convention taking place in RI this weekend. I'd love to go check it out, but my disposable income just isn't what it would have to be to actually really enjoy myself. I'd be down almost $100 if I wanted to go for both days with my wife and son. Start factoring in autographs and merchandise, and I'd be done.
Old 06-04-14, 04:00 PM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paid autographs are usually from "has beens" and you seek them out to do so. So complaining about them charging, well then dont ask for their signature.
Free autographs are usually done as a promotional deal for a TV show or movie and why it's free. Though not everyone and anyone can get these. It's usually by a lotto system. Sometimes though there are the groups like Adam Green and the Hatchet/Holliston cast that always do free poster signings.

I have tons of free and paid and I dont really put a value on them as I seek them out and if I have to pay then so be it. It's only $20 and usually in most cases they'll sign more than one item.
Old 06-04-14, 04:32 PM   #37
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I used to go to the Star Trek conventions and whoever was appearing would show up and speak to anyone who wanted to listen and then they'd sit down at a table and sign a photo of themselves for free (and they would supply the photo). It was all part of the admission price of like $20 or whatever it was.

Today you need to pay to get in, pay to hear them speak, pay for an autograph .. forget it.
Yup, I used to go to X-files conventions back in the mid 90's, and autographs were free (Although you did have to buy something to be autographed)
Old 06-04-14, 04:47 PM   #38
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Is that legal in the NCAA? I know they are very strict about athletes and making $$$ while still in School.
Obviously. I got a couple last year when the seniors graduated. They're allowed to have sessions after their senior season is over. I got 4 more this year when the juniors from that squad graduated. There are a couple left from the championship squad(Sophomores and Freshman at the time) still on the team so I'll grab those after they graduate/go pro next Spring.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-04-14, 04:55 PM   #39
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm so old, I remember when celebs signed for free. Of course that was before the internet and EBay and people trying to make money off something they gave out for free.

That said, I have autographs of the following celebs, and never paid a dime for any of them (although I did purchase many of the photos I got signed - but they were like $3 a pop):

William Shatner, DeForrest Kelley, Jimmy Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, Gates McFadden, Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis, Michael Keaton, Adam West, David Prowse, Kyle McLaughlin, Sarah Michelle Gellar, David Boreanez, Allison Hannigan, and probably a dozen more I can't think of off the top of my head. This was back in the day when I had time to go to a lot of cons and actually thought a signed color 8x10 was a cool thing. Now, I'm just happy to say hello - I don't think I'd stand in line for an autograph now even if they weren't charging $$$.
Old 06-04-14, 05:00 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$0. Don't really care about celebrity autographs, so I definitely wouldn't pay for one.
Old 06-04-14, 05:00 PM   #41
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Nope. He was brought in by celebrity authentics which is an autograph memorabilia company. The ticket prices they were selling to meet Sly were $395 dollar for an autograph and $450 for a professionally done photo op.

Quote:
Paid autographs are usually from "has beens" and you seek them out to do so. So complaining about them charging, well then dont ask for their signature.
Free autographs are usually done as a promotional deal for a TV show or movie and why it's free. Though not everyone and anyone can get these. It's usually by a lotto system. Sometimes though there are the groups like Adam Green and the Hatchet/Holliston cast that always do free poster signings.
But then you have to ask yourself what exactly makes them feel they should charge so much money? Heck Sigourney Weaver has a networth of $40 million dollars so why does she want to charge almost $200? By the same token when Jamie Lee Curtis appeared at Horrhound, she only charged $50 and all the money she made went to charity.
Old 06-04-14, 05:08 PM   #42
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
But then you have to ask yourself what exactly makes them feel they should charge so much money? Heck Sigourney Weaver has a networth of $40 million dollars so why does she want to charge almost $200? By the same token when Jamie Lee Curtis appeared at Horrhound, she only charged $50 and all the money she made went to charity.
I spent years in Hollywood with some very famous actors who have millions of dollars and they would walk clear over to the other side of the lot where a soda machine was still $.40 a can instead of $.50 where it was everywhere else.
Old 06-04-14, 05:10 PM   #43
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometimes I think the income from autographs is about all the income some actors have, except Social Security. Maybe some kind of SAG pension, or something.
Adam West seems to have worked steadily throughout his life. What about Yvonne Craig? One steady gig as Batgirl for a year, couple teen movies in 1960s, some guest appearances on tv shows, one being Star Trek. Doubt she got wealthy off acting. Maybe she married well. Or maybe she needs the money autographs would earn her.
What about 50's sci-fi stars like John Agar, Hugh Marlow and Richard Carlson. None became big stars. I doubt any became wealthy from acting. I wouldn't begrudge these guys for charging for autographs at a sci-fi convention from a small, limited fan base, who are the only people who remember them.
Old 06-04-14, 06:01 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely nothing.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 06-04-14, 06:40 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Yep'. I understand the revenue. But autographs aren't my thing.

Would love to have a lunch and talk about movies with lots of actors directors etc.
Old 06-04-14, 06:43 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

If you get to the park early enough while batting practice is still going on baseball players often sign stuff for you but 1. There's no guarantee you'll be in the right spot for an autograph and 2. The chances of getting a certain player are pretty slim.
It probably helps if you are a kid, or have one with you.
Old 06-04-14, 06:45 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

I think part of the reason celebs charge for autographs is it's about the only way to manage the crowd. If not, the line would become unmanageable.
Old 06-04-14, 06:49 PM   #48

Anybody who asks a fan to pay for their autograph should lose that fan.

"[T]he same bunch of us have been having these same arguments for years on end, with almost no change of position. OF COURSE I'm agitating further pointless arguments." - Ky-Fi
Old 06-04-14, 06:53 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
It probably helps if you are a kid, or have one with you.
Correct. Just to clarify, I've never attempted to get an autograph at the ballpark. I can't even remember the last time I even arrived at a baseball game before the first pitch.
Old 06-04-14, 06:56 PM   #50
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When dealing with conventions, that's just how it goes. They have to pay to be at that convention. They are going to pay a fee to be there to sign for free. If they are, they are still getting paid by someone to be there to sign.
The ones that ask a fee are not today's biggest stars that make millions. They are usually B-movie stars or has beens.