DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-17-17, 10:30 AM   #226
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: So how much is a "celebrity" autograph worth to you?

Kevin Smith was the coolest dude when I met him at SDCC. Not only did he autograph my huge stack of comics for and do a photo op all for free, but he was going to personalize each one of them. I stopped him after a couple, not because I didn't appreciate it, but because I didn't want to be responsible for holding up his huge line (he was personalizing everything for everyone, but my stack was significantly bigger than most other people's, so that's why I felt bad about letting him personalize them all).

I also casually mentioned to him that I had forgotten my DVD's at home while he was signing for me, and he asked "Where's home?". When I said "Detroit", he said "Wow, that's far." and he wrote down an address in Red Bank where I could mail the covers to.

-----
PSN: CactusKind

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 05-17-17 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 04:02 PM   #227
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
$0. Don't really care about celebrity autographs, so I definitely wouldn't pay for one.
This, for me as well.

I have a few vinyl albums and a couple CDs that are signed by the artist - not huge names, and I only have them because they either came that way (didn't cost extra) or it was a gift. It's kinda cool that they're signed, because the album is their actual work, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.
Old 05-17-17, 05:00 PM   #228
DVD Talk Legend

I only have one actual item signed by a celebrity. I have a VHS tape of Dragnet signed by Alexandra Paul. I also have one item which will mean nothing to anyone but me. When a group came to Rochester, they received a gift bag with some goodies. One of those goodies was a Jolt Cola. Kim Catrall didn't drink the stuff so she gave me hers. I still have it 25 years later. Not sure why but not that many celebrities gave me anything so I guess I should keep it. Eventually the kids will clean out the house for an estate sale and swear at me for keeping crap like that.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 391 BR titles, 17 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 70 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 08-17-17, 11:37 PM   #229
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.comicbookscifi.com/comic_program.html

So there is a comic/sci-fi convention here in the Los Angeles area this weekend.

I went there in Spring 2016 and met Ming Na Wen from Agents of Shield and I paid $70 for a signed photo and picture with her. I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread.

This Sunday Brandon Routh from Legends of Tomorrow and Tricia Helfer are the 2 big stars showing up. I'm thinking about going mainly because I like Routh, love Legends and he's one of the actors who played Superman. But man, his autograph price is $50 whew!! Helfer is around $40. I like her. Fucking gorgeous. But, almost $100 for autographs of them and a little more for a photo op.

There is also a convention in Long Beach next month where Bill Shatner will appear for an autograph/photo op. They want $80 for a photo op withhim. That's super steep. But then again, this is Captain fucking Kirk and he's 86 years old now. I don't know how many more years he's going to be around.

Edit: Turns out I work until 1pm when Shatner is there. I would never make to Long Beach in time before he leaves.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-18-17 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 08:54 AM   #230
DVD Talk Legend

I was at a carnival where the carnies had an actual baby tiger that you could pay $20 to get your picture holding it. I jumped at the chance but couldn't care less about the picture. I just loved holding the baby tiger!
Old 08-18-17, 09:27 AM   #231
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I was at a carnival where the carnies had an actual baby tiger that you could pay $20 to get your picture holding it. I jumped at the chance but couldn't care less about the picture. I just loved holding the baby tiger!

Awww...

Awww...

Awww...

Nope.
Old 08-18-17, 10:23 AM   #232
DVD Talk Hero

Reminds me of the great tiger scene from the movie Manhunter:

That was a real sedated tiger. Even sedated, it must have been a cool scene for Joan Allen to shoot. I guess there is a similar scene in Red Dragon but I have never seen it.
Old 08-18-17, 10:32 AM   #233
DVD Talk Legend

It was surreal,because it was not anything like I expected. It was about 15lbs and did not feel at all like a dog or cat. The bone structure was massive compared to it's size--and unlike any animal I've held.
Old 08-18-17, 11:18 AM   #234
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
On my last day in Argentina, I went here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...IDE-cages.html

Some looked sedated, but I also think they probably got their animals from former owners that couldn't care for them or old circus animals. Going into the tiger cage was eye opening since there were 6 of them in there and I was the only one concerned that 4 of them were actively pacing while the other two were being fed from a bottle.

I got to hold a lion cub. Softest animal I ever held. Even softer than a young puppy. And it never triggered my allergies to cats.
Old 08-18-17, 02:08 PM   #235
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I received Bruce Campbells new book "Hail To The Chin" today from Barnes and Noble and it was signed. I figured since it was the same price as an unsigned copy why not. Now I own two signed items. The book and a lithograph from the Flaming Lips that came free with a CD order.
Old 08-22-17, 04:29 PM   #236
DVD Talk Hero

So I met Brandon Routh and Tricia Helfer on Sunday at the comic show I mentioned above.

Both were really great. Pleasant and chatted with the fans. I was really surprised how nice Routh was. I told him that I liked him as Superman and was disappointed he didn't do more and he agreed. He said he was just glad to do one.

I stood probably around 40 minutes in line to meet and take a photo with Routh.

There really wasn't any line for Helfer. I guess aside from playing 6 on Battlestar Galactica, she's not really that well known in the comic-geek community. She was really cool also. She's almost 6 feet tall like me. Very pleasant and super hot in person. I got her to sign my Battlestar season 1 DVD.

A really good experience with these 2.
Old 08-22-17, 06:24 PM   #237
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So I met Brandon Routh and Tricia Helfer on Sunday at the comic show I mentioned above.

Both were really great. Pleasant and chatted with the fans. I was really surprised how nice Routh was. I told him that I liked him as Superman and was disappointed he didn't do more and he agreed. He said he was just glad to do one.

I stood probably around 40 minutes in line to meet and take a photo with Routh.

There really wasn't any line for Helfer. I guess aside from playing 6 on Battlestar Galactica, she's not really that well known in the comic-geek community. She was really cool also. She's almost 6 feet tall like me. Very pleasant and super hot in person. I got her to sign my Battlestar season 1 DVD.

A really good experience with these 2.
He certainly seemed like a nice guy. Very personable with a big smile. We didn't talk to him much, just grabbed the photo op and said thank you. But we were only 15 deep in line and it took 10-15 minutes to get to us. The guy in front of us spent $250 easily on him. The guy behind us about $150. I'm pretty sure he's with Amell's agency.
Old 08-22-17, 06:39 PM   #238
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I don't think I'd ever pay for an autograph, but if I'm at a con or ballgame or something an autograph is a nice touch to help me later remember the event.
Sort of broke my rule. Ordered a bunch of comic book collections and portfolios only because they were signed by creators I love. Basically paid the normal full price (or slightly more on a couple) of the items, and normally never pay full price for anything, but decided that owning these little pieces of history was what I wanted. I don't travel to cons often, so may never meet these people I really admire, and a few of these have passed away.
Joe Kubert
Will Eisner
Michael Golden
Dave Stevens
Moebius
Alex Niño
Stan Sakai
Nick Galifinakis
Eric Powell

Last edited by Trevor; 08-22-17 at 06:47 PM.