DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-28-14, 02:04 PM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDTalk Charity Fundraiser Discussion

I have the seed of an idea and I wonder if we can get some discussion around it and see if it can grow into something.

What do you think about working together to organize a charity fundraiser here at DVDTalk?

Potential Charities:

Child's Play - Charity dedicated to improving the lives of children with toys and (video) games in a network of over 70 hospitals worldwide. Over the years, you as a community have answered the call and come together to raise millions of dollars.
Extra Life - video game playing marathons where you get sponsors, all to support Children's Miracle Networks Hospitals.
Kiva - Make microloans to persons starting small businesses all across the globe to give them a fighting chance of breaking out of poverty.
Make A Wish Foundation - Grants the wish of a child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition in the United States and its territories, on average, every 38 minutes.
StandUp2Cancer - Initiative created to accelerate innovative cancer research and building public awareness/support that will get new therapies to patients quickly and save lives now.
UMCOR (United Methodist Council On Relief) - Literally first on the ground when the earthquake hit Haiti, over the last three years helped reduce child mortality rate from malaria in sub-Saharan Africa from 1 child every 30 seconds to 1 child every 60 seconds. (Full disclosure: I work within the United Methodist Church and while UMCOR is near to my heart I would certainly understand if we went another direction; I just thought I should at least mention my favorite charity.)
Unbound (CFCA Christian Foundation for Children and Aging - Unbound delivers direct financial assistance and services to individuals (including children and aging adults), backed by community-based support groups and microlending programs.

I think there's at least five subjects worth exploring together:
1. Which charity?
2. How do we collect/distribute funds?
3. How do we get the word out across the site?
4. What would potential fundraisers look like?
5. Why do this?

I have some initial thoughts and questions and wonder what you all think. Can we discuss all the angles and see what we can come up with here?

1. Which charity?

We could pick a charity together as a collective (personally, I'd like to see something that helps kids) and if the first fundraiser really takes off we could rotate our efforts to other charities for future events. I know that sometimes we've supported DVDTalk members who found themselves with major life-changing events happen (for example, mndtrp hasn't asked me to mention him, but I recall many people gave him a little something / passed around his PayPal link after his motorcycle accident). Do people have any charity / organization ideas?

2. How do we collect/distribute funds?

We'd need to figure out how to choose a charity and how to collect and disburse funds in an honest and transparent way. We'd all probably have to do some sort of "honor system" in terms of turning in funds and using a method that makes sure the funds don't get misappropriated or end up just sitting there. Who has experience with this sort of thing?

3. How do we get the word out across the site?

Not everyone reads Otter and the last thing I think would be helpful is to spam all the forums with a link to this but I do wonder if there are people who frequent other parts of DVDTalk who would be interested but might not know about this thread unless they popped into Otter. How can we get them in on the discussion?

4. What would potential fundraisers look like?

Like many people here, I was inspired by Alan Smithee's Landlord on my case about my cleanliness thread. I did a bunch of cleaning and even yanked some titles out of my collection and am ready to donate/sell them. It was really cool to read about how many other persons were taking similar tactics to get better organized, more clean living spaces, and/or simply prioritize life in new ways. I was especially taken with starseed1981's post about donating all of that stuff to a family in need there, too. It got me thinking, maybe there's a way we can expand the good that thread has done in our own homes and see if we can help other people out, too.

One idea I have is to do a "Media Match" drive. Let's say we try, collectively, to donate 500 media titles (books, DVDs, CDs, etc.) within a certain period of time. Each media title is worth one penny on the match. If we hit all 500, then that's 500 pennies or a $5 donation from each participant. If we only hit 425 titles, then that's 425 pennies or $4.25 donation per participant. Maybe it could be a scale, somehow, like books and CDs are worth 1 penny, DVDs are worth 2, Blu-rays are worth 5, etc. If people are selling their items instead of donating them maybe they could offer that amount up for the match, too, if they wanted to (probably wouldn't be required). Another possibility is that since a good number of people have done a lot of selling or donation in the last month since the above thread inspired them to do so, maybe those totals could retroactively be added to the running title for an initial fundraiser.

A few other ideas...

What if there was some sort of pledge system with the movie marathon / challenge threads? For every movie someone watches within that challenge, they give a certain amount.

Or perhaps there's some sort of "unwatched movie" pledge challenge where you post your unwatched movie pile list and for every movie you don't watch within a certain time frame, you donate a designated amount.

Or maybe there's a $1 sheep game entry fee and the pool gets to go to the winner's charity choice (or it's a $2 fee and the sheep master gets half to donate to their charity choice as a "thank you" for hosting the game).

Those are all rough ideas that would need to be fleshed out, of course, and I'd be curious how you all can help flesh them out, see which ones rise to the top or sink to the bottom, and what other ideas you might have out there. I think it would be cool to have the efforts match the focus of DVDTalk, which to me is movie- and entertainment-based.

5. Why do this?

If we can help people, I think we should. I think this could be a positive thing to rally around together. We've had a lot of discussions over the years about a lot of subjects but to my knowledge we haven't really talked about doing this before. Maybe it's time to give it a try. Plus, it would give us a nice reprieve from all the weird news coming out of Florida.

Thoughts on any of this?

Thanks for listening,
story

Last edited by story; 06-06-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 02:16 PM   #2
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: DVDTalk Charity Fundraiser Discussion

I like the idea, but I have no experience organizing anything like this so I have no concrete suggestions on that front.

One good charity is the Campaign to End Childhood Hunger (a/k/a Food Research & Action Center).

www.frac.org
Old 04-28-14, 02:43 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

If we would be donating as "DVDTalk" I would think you would need IB's blessing.

It's a cool idea.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 04-28-14, 02:59 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

The Make a Wish foundation? Maybe one of the charities that deal with children's cancer victims.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-28-14, 04:46 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe a charity that provides DVDs for starving children.
Old 04-28-14, 05:15 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This may work.

http://www.dvds4vets.org/about_us.htm

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 04-28-14, 05:22 PM   #7
DVD Talk God

I will second Make A Wish Foundation. I am in awe of what they do for kids.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-28-14, 07:51 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Before deciding on a charity check them out at charity navigator.
Old 04-28-14, 07:54 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Human Fund?
Old 04-28-14, 08:00 PM   #10
DVD Talk Godfather

Is there a fund that helps hoarders?

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-28-14, 08:07 PM   #11
Premium Member

kvrdave's Tax Relief Fund
Old 04-28-14, 09:20 PM   #12
Time Lord

Just to present an alternative, I prefer charities that help animals. I used to donate to Save China's Tigers and I donate to the International Primate Protection League when I can.
Old 04-28-14, 11:44 PM   #13
DVD Talk Ruler

Maybe an otter rescue..
Old 04-29-14, 08:46 AM   #14
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Just to present an alternative, I prefer charities that help animals. I used to donate to Save China's Tigers and I donate to the International Primate Protection League when I can.
Why do you hate children?
Old 04-29-14, 09:33 AM   #15
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Child's Play is another charity that is good. My gaming group has donated to them the past few years. They take video game equipment to children's hospitals so that the kids have something fun to do while they are there undergoing treatment.

Its mainly the charity of choice in the gaming community since many of the sponsors and donators of items/money are gaming companies/related industries.

Quote:
Since 2003, we’ve set up and organized Child’s Play, a game industry charity dedicated to improving the lives of children with toys and games in our network of over 70 hospitals worldwide. Over the years, you as a community have answered the call and come together to raise millions of dollars.

Child’s Play works in two ways. With the help of hospital staff, we set up gift wish lists full of video games, toys, books, and other fun stuff for kids. By clicking on a hospital location on our map, you can view that hospital’s wish list and send a gift.

Child’s Play also receives cash donations throughout the year. With those cash donations, we purchase new consoles, peripherals, games, and more for hospitals and therapy facilities. These donations allow for children to enjoy age-appropriate entertainment, interact with their peers, friends, and family, and can provide vital distraction from an otherwise generally unpleasant experience.

Child’s Play is a 501(c)(3) entity.
Old 04-29-14, 10:41 AM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really appreciate people tossing out their charity ideas. Looks like we won't be short of finding one to choose for the first round.

What about the method of the fundraiser? Are people interested in any of the ideas I tossed out? Maybe I should contact some of the regular Sheepmasters to see if any of them have thoughts on the $1 entry free idea, as well as those who help run movie Challenge threads.

What about the Media Match Drive idea? I think it could work but it needs some fine-tuning.
Old 04-29-14, 11:04 AM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer charities that promote the arts. I already donate to Cinefamily here in L.A. and to my local Friends of the Library.
Old 04-29-14, 11:40 AM   #18
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm game! I currently give to these two organizations

Kiva
I like their model, by aiding their business instead you help them support themselves but the problem is that they deal with different local organizations within each country so the interest put on them sometimes could be quite high
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiva_%28organization%29

CFCA -Unbound
This one is more like sponsorship for a child (or elderly) in poverty so that they can get education and skill training. The cool thing about this organization is that more than 94% of all donations go directly to the person in need so there is very little overhead unlike other orgs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi...ing_%28CFCA%29

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 04-29-14, 11:46 AM   #19
DVD Talk Ruler

I donate to The gentle barn

and

The cat house on the kings

I like animals better than people. Right now I have ducks in my pool.
Old 04-29-14, 12:08 PM   #20
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am stuck on the "why" do this. I already donate to the Wounded Warrior Project. I guess I really don't see the benefit as I don't believe enough money that is collected really gets to where it is needed. With the exception of a few. Would this really bring out people who don't already give?
Old 04-29-14, 12:10 PM   #21
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I donate to The gentle barn

and

The cat house on the kings

I like animals better than people. Right now I have ducks in my pool.

So long as it isn't horses or dogs, I'm in. But I do prefer Make a Wish.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 04-29-14, 12:49 PM   #22
Suspended

Having worked in the non-profit world for the past 10 years, I feel the need to throw this monkey wrench in the pot. Who's going to write the donation acknowledgment letter/tax receipt to the donor? If the donations are collected by dvdtalk member then submitted to an end beneficiary, the charity that can write the tax letter will only write it to the intermediary. Donors lose out on the tax benefit. The alternative is to ask donor to donate to the charity directly which in effect make this whole initiative moot.
Old 04-29-14, 01:42 PM   #23
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What about putting together an ownership group to bid on the L.A. Clippers?
Old 04-29-14, 02:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Why do you hate children?
They aren't as tasty as endangered feline species.

I think this is a great idea. Make-a-Wish would be great, or perhaps a charity that caters to the elderly.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-29-14, 03:09 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Make-a-wish or Childs Play would be great. I've heard of Childs Play before from a couple of the video game centric podcasts I listen to. Just have to think about the how.