DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-12-14, 06:36 AM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Nick ... if you ruin this for us, we will cut you. Cut you bad, man.
Tell me more, you sexy man.
Old 03-12-14, 07:40 AM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
OK, not saying I'm proud of this but here it is:
The King in Yellow arises...

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-12-14, 08:22 AM   #128
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeeesh!

And you own a cat, Alan Smithee?

How come all would-be hoarders own cats? Cats are somehow associated with unkempt houses.
Old 03-12-14, 08:31 AM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I'd evict you. That place is ridiculous. If you owned it, fine. But you don't. If you did move out, they'd have to sped a fortune rehabbing that place.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 03-12-14, 08:58 AM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
[IMG]http://************.com/IMG_3643.JPG[/IMG]

You can get the six-disc Blu-ray cases on eBay for less than a dollar. The row of blue cases on my shelf here hold almost 100 DVDs. The amount of space you can reclaim quickly is mind boggling. It's easy to keep track of where your discs are too, as you put the DVD into the cases, enter the title name into an Excel spreadsheet, and assign each case a number when full. When you want a particular title, it's a simple quick search to find the case it's in.
Part of the fun of collecting movies and music is the package and cover art. Might as well just rip all of them to disc and get rid of physical media completely.

Quote:
OK, some good advice here. I will definitely put more stuff into storage and then deal with it when I finally have a bigger place. Yes, I am an obsessive collector- I keep everything in its original packaging, and I don't get rid of anything. Whether that is right or wrong shouldn't be a factor in deciding to evict someone as long as it does not cause a safety hazard. The shelves in the back of the picture look cluttered, but they've been there for a long time and aren't in much danger of falling down- I'm pretty sure they would have by now if they were going to, and everything that's on them means that they aren't on the floor. When I can afford a house I hope to get one with a lot of closets so that I can keep that sort of stuff in there and out of sight. My neighbor has a ton of DVDs just stacked up on the floor, no shelves or anything.

I haven't had a problem with cockroaches, but if that's a risk in having stuff gathered on the floor then I'll just put that in storage. I wasn't aware that cardboard attracts them. I just wonder how much of that can the landlords really regulate though- how much is a legal limit and how much is just "we're looking for excuses to get rid of this guy so we can charge someone else more for rent?" My friends have said that as long as I'm not running a meth lab in here and paying my rent on time, they should just leave me the hell alone.
I think you are being unreasonable. The landlord and maintenance men are used to seeing empty units as they change possession or units with traditional furnishings. When they come into your unit, they see hoarders. They see a nightmare (potentially) of urine stained rugs, feces, roaches, food behind those stacks of items. They have absolutely no idea the true extent of the condition of the apartment. It' is not your building. You cannot just exploit their property for your happiness in any way you choose. It may be perfectly clean but the initial impression is a nightmare of epic proportions for them to deal with.

I don't even see any living area in that photo. I see storage and cluttered storage at that. The cat tree doesn't help your case either.

Last edited by CRM114; 03-12-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 09:15 AM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Part of the fun of collecting movies and music is the package and cover art. Might as well just rip all of them to disc and get rid of physical media completely.
That's what I did. At first I was like most here that never wanted to give up the DVD case or cover art. I have a small apartment and I was keeping the bulk of my collection in boxes at my parents house, with about 100 or so on a small stand in my apartment. That was doing me no good though, eventually I realized it was better to have the movies with me than stick to the idea that I needed cover art and a case. So I threw all the movies into a binder and brought them to my apartment.

Now I'm in the process of moving all those DVD's onto an NAS hard drive. Once I'm done I'll move the physical discs back to their cases and keep them in my parents basement.
Old 03-12-14, 09:44 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

I have a huge shelving unit of DVDs and blu-rays. I have two large racks of CDs. I have a large shelving unit of vinyl. All of that is well organized in a finished basement. Nothing on the floor at all. Even still, I'm thinking I have to get rid of the DVDs. I want them but it is silly to keep them and not watch them.

My plan is to get rid of some of most of the DVDs, get rid of 1/3 of my CDs, and consolidate the remaining stuff into one large shelving unit. (Get rid of the CD units entirely.)

Is it best to sell DVDs and CDs in a bulk lot? I don't want to be bothered with eBay auctions that get no bids or selling pieces for $1 or 2. I'd rather sell them than store then in boxes or in binders. I don't think I'm in fear of becoming the OP, that would never happen, but I don't have much room any more for anything new I purchase.

I actually have a box of DVDs that are dups of blu-rays that I was just going to give to the local library. The library could use an infusion of bizarre and off-the-beaten path movies.

Old 03-12-14, 10:15 AM   #133
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I actually have a box of DVDs that are dups of blu-rays that I was just going to give to the local library. The library could use an infusion of bizarre and off-the-beaten path movies.
Just be sure to remind them that Salo belongs in the children's movie section

"Salo? It's a European movie about ... sailors! And their ships! Yeah! That's the ticket!"
Old 03-12-14, 10:41 AM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Get rid of the vacuum cleaner. It really clutters up the place.
Old 03-12-14, 10:44 AM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Just noticed the flashlight in the middle of the floor, oh and what appears to be a tire pump as well. Just so much to see here that I can't catch it all.
Old 03-12-14, 10:47 AM   #136
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have three IKEA Billy Bookshelves full of DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs and books. I did some re-organizing yesterday and put some more DVDs into binders (I have 6 binders) but it seems I need to get rid of stuff. I refuse to get another bookshelf!

The NAS sounds like a pretty good idea. For anybody that's done that whats the best program (for MAC) to do so

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-12-14, 10:48 AM   #137
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh man, not to rag on the OP... but that is clear hoarding. If you were one of my tenants I'd take away the ability to renew the lease immediately. In fact, I've done that in the past with less cluttering situations. A lot of people don't realize that damage that occurs with those scenarios. Just not washing walls for years can make it necessary for them to be replaced. And even things like leaving shelves stationary for years can result in marks in the carpet that are impossible to get out and need replacement. Invest in a storage unit and de-clutter. I think you'll find that your quality of life will improve dramatically.
Old 03-12-14, 10:50 AM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Cat: "That hairless ape does treat me pretty well, but I've really got to make some decisions about my future."
Old 03-12-14, 10:52 AM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

If you were in New York, no one would blink an eye.

You want to read about a cluttered apartment? Try this one:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/ny...8%23%2FMcCrary

I have a friend who lives in a rent-controlled studio apartment on the Upper East Side and when bedbugs infested it and he had to clean it out, he did. The landlord comes in to inspect and sees all the clutter (books, DVDs, VHS tapes, etc.) and says he has to clean it out and he replies, "But you don't understand, I did clean it out." To him, he had cleaned it out, but to non-hoarder eyes, it was a mess. All in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-12-14, 10:55 AM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Can you turn the lights on and take a better picture or do you not have access to the switch?
Old 03-12-14, 11:07 AM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
We finally know where Jimmy Hoffa's body is
Old 03-12-14, 11:17 AM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Oh man, not to rag on the OP... but that is clear hoarding. If you were one of my tenants I'd take away the ability to renew the lease immediately. In fact, I've done that in the past with less cluttering situations. A lot of people don't realize that damage that occurs with those scenarios. Just not washing walls for years can make it necessary for them to be replaced. And even things like leaving shelves stationary for years can result in marks in the carpet that are impossible to get out and need replacement. Invest in a storage unit and de-clutter. I think you'll find that your quality of life will improve dramatically.
I haven't rented in 20 years but there is no way in hell I'd wash walls or move shit so as not to dent the carpet.

The only way the OP's place would be in any way acceptable is if EVERYTHING was off the floor. The shelves are bad enough but then the piles of shit?

I've highlighted obvious trouble areas. How about a table or two?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last edited by CRM114; 03-12-14 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 11:21 AM   #143
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your cat owns more furniture than you do.
Old 03-12-14, 11:25 AM   #144
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, that cat is a chick magnet.

Old 03-12-14, 11:26 AM   #145
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
That was my initial thought too. I like things like collectible booklets and cool cover art. I'm slowly phasing out a lot of laserdiscs, and I start to have second thoughts when I pull out the old LD and see the gorgeous cover art. Recent example: just purchased the Criterion Blu of Rosemary's Baby, and even though it's the same classic cover art...the LD is well....bigger. Really showcases the art, and only now do I see Mia Farrow's face in the background. Always thought it was just clouds.

HOWEVER, I have a lot of "common" titles on DVD, that have no inserts (or maybe just a chapter list), and the boring "floating head" cover. 24-disc binders - purchased.
Old 03-12-14, 11:31 AM   #146
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speaking of Rosemary's Baby, we really need this on Blu, with the same cover art:

Old 03-12-14, 11:40 AM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Wait, is that a package of uncooked ground beef on the CDs near the lower left corner?
Old 03-12-14, 11:46 AM   #148
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to disagree with the landlord here. I mean you have been there 12 years, everything they bought in there has to be fully depreciated by now so you are very profitable to them. If you leave now then everything has to be replaced, if you stay they continue to collect the same rent that they would be getting if they replaced everything and got somebody else to move in there a couple of months down the road.
Old 03-12-14, 11:46 AM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

and where is the air conditioner that they came in to fix?

Did you guys find the sniper?
Old 03-12-14, 11:58 AM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Wait, is that a package of uncooked ground beef on the CDs near the lower left corner?
I thought that was one of them Mexican bread/pastries. A concha (shell).