DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-11-14, 12:02 PM   #76
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I took it a step further. Got the 24 Disc Poly Cases. I grouped a bunch of my movies together by Actor/Actress. See the stack beside Buffy and Angel? That's almost 200 movies:

I'm not sure if I'm more amazed at how neatly those 24-disc cases allow you to store movies ... or horrified that you have enough Steven Seagal, Dolph Lundgren, and JCVD movies to fill more than one case each

Last edited by Kmical; 03-11-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-11-14, 12:27 PM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

First clue to a problem was the the vacuum is kept plugged in and in the middle of the room to avoid the trouble of having to get it out in the event he ever has to vacuum again.
Old 03-11-14, 12:27 PM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
I'm not sure if I'm more amazed at how neatly those 24-disc cases allow you to store movies ... or horrified that you have enough Steven Seagal, Dolph Lundgren, and JVC movies to fill more than one case each

- Machiavelli
Old 03-11-14, 12:32 PM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm more amazed at how neatly those 24-disc cases allow you to store movies ... or horrified that you have enough Steven Seagal, Dolph Lundgren, and JCVD movies to fill more than one case each
Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I've been waiting all day for that!
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 03-11-14, 12:35 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
But you're okay with the Reese Witherspoon collection

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 03-11-14, 12:37 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
That's what I noticed, too. Granted, we all have our own tastes, but I just thought that was funny.
Old 03-11-14, 12:37 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post

Yeah, that's the one that stood out.

I was like WTF?
Old 03-11-14, 12:39 PM   #83
DVD Talk God

AS- There are some cities that have relatively strict codes and require annual inspections. This may be a new thing in your city as they seem to be becoming more common (installing GFI outlets in baths and kitchens is also a sign of this). However, I have a renter that keeps their place about like you do, and I'm fine with it. So long as there are no issues with pests, etc., I keep to myself and let the tenants do the same.

However, to only increase $100 in over a decade probably means you are paying low rent. Again, with me, I never raise rent on a tenant unless it is just a pass-through on utilities, etc. that go up. But I'm the exception on this. I figure if I was making money on the rent charged when I bought the place, raising it on people just seems to be in poor taste....unless they are on HUD, then I will raise them, and often their portion still goes down. You may want to get ready to pay more with the new owners.

And on that note, think hard about your budget. If money is tight, your collections may have something to do with that. Scale back and watch how much money you have. Switch to netflixs or something. I don't buy DVDs anymore, and I have a lot more money laying around that I use to. Now I can hire hitmen for neighborhood dogs rather than doing it myself. Just a thought.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 03-11-14, 12:50 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
That's what I noticed, too. Granted, we all have our own tastes, but I just thought that was funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yeah, that's the one that stood out.

I was like WTF?
Hey Hey, who are we picking on in this thread? At least my shit it in order Of course out of frame is the Godzilla collection, and some others.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 03-11-14, 12:50 PM   #85
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

another otter looking for moral support and help only to be told he is a slob and a hoarder.

We do great work here!
Old 03-11-14, 12:52 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

If you have to explain why your place isn't a mess...it's a mess. Either it's clean or it isn't. And from that picture...it's not clean. It looks like the back room at one of those thrift stores where you feel like you're walking down a tunnel of stuff that could collapse at any moment. There is no way I could live like that and I'm not a compulsively neat person. But I am the kind of person that if something is sitting on the floor, I put it on a shelf. You appear to be out of shelves and rapidly running out of floor.

Why not take this as an opportunity to make a change in your life? You've spent more time discussing it here than it would have taken to make a sizable dent in the situation.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 03-11-14, 12:59 PM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I don't buy DVDs anymore, and I have a lot more money laying around that I use to. Now I can hire hitmen for neighborhood dogs rather than doing it myself. Just a thought.
Must be nice.
Old 03-11-14, 01:06 PM   #88
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
another otter looking for moral support and help only to be told he is a slob and a hoarder.
Hey, I admit I'm a slob and a hoarder- just posting because I don't know how much of that a landlord is allowed to regulate. Since this is turning out to be a city code thing and the landlord isn't as hot to give me the boot as I thought, I'll just do my best to comply. My mom called me a hoarder once, thinking it would shock me, and I just said I was OK with it.

Quote:
And on that note, think hard about your budget. If money is tight, your collections may have something to do with that.
Funny thing is when I moved in here the collection wasn't even a fraction as big as it is now. A BIG contributor has been the $3 DVDs at Big Lots- I've looked at a few of my shelves and almost every DVD on it was from there. Plus I got a ton of free and discounted stuff when I worked at Tower, and now I'm doing reviews here (though I've had to put that on hold a while because of school.) I don't have cable or satellite (which I equate with throwing money away, or paying money to be insulted, and garbage on my screen bugs me infinitely more than garbage on my floor) and I haven't gone into debt for any of this.
Old 03-11-14, 01:13 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
First clue to a problem was the the vacuum is kept plugged in and in the middle of the room to avoid the trouble of having to get it out in the event he ever has to vacuum again.
Old 03-11-14, 01:38 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

Besides the stuff you like and are passionate about, I recommend selling all the crap you haven't opened or watched in years. You're not going to miss it. Put that money away in the bank. You're not going to get anything close to what you paid for it, but the cash is worth more than the crap cluttering your place. I don't want to judge, don't buy movies while your still in school, especially if you don't even have a fulltime job in your career yet. Save whatever money your making.

Throw away everything else into the trash.

I'd be scared to see what your bathroom looks like.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-11-14 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-11-14, 01:59 PM   #91
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The other thing is, even places that look pretty clean can be fairly nasty. A house that's very neat and tidy with no real visible dust can be gross when you start looking behind and underneath furniture or on and behind things on shelves. It just happens. Hell, with a good vacuum cleaner, you can pull up all kinds of gross shit from a carpet that looks clean to the naked eye. When you've got so much stuff randomly strewed about the place, there's no way it's clean. It might not be filthy just to glance at, but it has to be fairly gross if you get down to it.
Old 03-11-14, 02:41 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

The picture from your place is not pretty but it's not anywhere close to the worst I've seen. The movies and other items have some sort of organization method, even if it only makes sense to you. Most hoarders are extreme compilers that throw everything in random piles. What I think makes it look worse than it really is has to do with the size of your place. That collection would be a minor annoyance in a house with a garage.

Most people with enough disposable income to have that size of a collection tend to live in bigger accommodations.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 03-11-14, 03:04 PM   #93
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
My Reese Witherspoon collection consists of about 30 seconds of the film Twilight.
Old 03-11-14, 03:15 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The picture from your place is not pretty but it's not anywhere close to the worst I've seen. The movies and other items have some sort of organization method, even if it only makes sense to you. Most hoarders are extreme compilers that throw everything in random piles. What I think makes it look worse than it really is has to do with the size of your place. That collection would be a minor annoyance in a house with a garage.
That's certainly the case with hoarder's that are portrayed on the TV show but I don't think that's a pre-requisite for being a hoarder. Not being able to let go of useless things is what makes you a hoarder, regardless of how well its organized.
Old 03-11-14, 03:21 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerati View Post
My Reese Witherspoon collection consists of about 30 seconds of the film Twilight.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 03-11-14, 03:35 PM   #96
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I take pride in my cleanliness and a couple years ago I moved into a new construction unit and it is immaculate. After years and years of living in shitty old vintage units in disrepair, it has been amazing. Seriously, I fucking love it.

So I must say I have to side with OPs landlord on this one, even if OP doesn't look THAT bad. Of the four places I rented previously, three of them were a total disaster when I moved in. Smoke and dust coating all the walls and floors. Dirty shower and bathrooms, and on and on and on. I fucking hate how poorly tenants and landlords maintain their housing. Whenever I look for a new place, 90% of the units I see are absolute pits, made worse by the slobs who live there in their own filth.

I do have one odd habit though, and that is mail. I get a lot of mail, and I never open it. At this point, I have nearly five years of back mail saved and unopened. I need to shred most of it at some point (lots of bank statements etc.), but I save it all in case I missed something important. I have an entire shelf in my closet with stacks of mail. Some day...
Old 03-11-14, 03:40 PM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

And what does collecting have to do with a case of what appears to be Sunkist in the middle of the floor? So much more then just "collecting" going on here.
Old 03-11-14, 03:44 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I fucking hate how poorly tenants and landlords maintain their housing. Whenever I look for a new place, 90% of the units I see are absolute pits, made worse by the slobs who live there in their own filth.
I agree, the pathetic, disgusting fucks.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 03-11-14, 04:16 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
OK, not saying I'm proud of this but here it is:
no worse than Lemmy's apartment as seen in the doc bearing his name.

+10 to Gryffindor if you have a room full of nazi memorabilia, or play nothing but video trivia games at The Rainbow Bar and Grill.
Old 03-11-14, 04:21 PM   #100

This Thread is making me re-think my collecting habits.....

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "