DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-11-14, 09:41 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

If you're single I don't think there is any reason you can't keep your place more organized. When my wife moved out and I was left to just deal with my own mess it became quite easy to put things away when I was done with them. I think you'll find it freeing to come home to a clean place. And for goodness sake get rid of some of that stuff. I admit I have some hoarding tendencies but once I started down the path of getting that stuff out of my life the easier and easier it gets....now if I could just bring myself to get rid of those boxes of comic books.
Old 03-11-14, 09:43 AM   #52
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I took it a step further. Got the 24 Disc Poly Cases. I grouped a bunch of my movies together by Actor/Actress. See the stack beside Buffy and Angel? That's almost 200 movies:

Those look great! What's the brand name? I did a quick search on amazon and didn't see them.
Old 03-11-14, 09:47 AM   #53
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
OK, not saying I'm proud of this but here it is:
Holy Christ! I look forward to your episode of Hoarders.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 03-11-14, 09:50 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I applaud landlords who get on renter's case about keeping their place clean.
Absolutely. It's very important for pest control. After seeing the picture, which is a cleaned up version of what the maintenance people saw, I have a hard time arguing with the way they went about things. Two weeks is plenty of time to get stuff organized.
Old 03-11-14, 10:10 AM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Those look great! What's the brand name? I did a quick search on amazon and didn't see them.
Here is where I get them: http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ulti-pack-20pk
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 03-11-14, 10:13 AM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

Don't you hate it when you complain about something in this forum, and everyone thinks you're wrong?

(My parents got pizza last night, and they gave my teenage brother more than me. I'm 26 and sleeping there rent-free with my girlfriend in the top bunk. I have to convince you that my parents were wrong!)

(I'm dating a psycho chick. I'm really into her, but she treats me mean. How can I make her love me?)

(A transvestite picked me up at the bus station for a quickie. Tonight s/he's spending the night my apartment. Booyah!)
Old 03-11-14, 10:23 AM   #57
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
In my experience, people sometimes have problems identifying the "worthless crap" on their own. The storage unit idea is to get the stuff out of the house for a while so it becomes obvious just how worthless it is.
In my experience people sink money into renting storage units for years and years
Old 03-11-14, 10:32 AM   #58
DVD Talk Reviewer

OK, some good advice here. I will definitely put more stuff into storage and then deal with it when I finally have a bigger place. Yes, I am an obsessive collector- I keep everything in its original packaging, and I don't get rid of anything. Whether that is right or wrong shouldn't be a factor in deciding to evict someone as long as it does not cause a safety hazard. The shelves in the back of the picture look cluttered, but they've been there for a long time and aren't in much danger of falling down- I'm pretty sure they would have by now if they were going to, and everything that's on them means that they aren't on the floor. When I can afford a house I hope to get one with a lot of closets so that I can keep that sort of stuff in there and out of sight. My neighbor has a ton of DVDs just stacked up on the floor, no shelves or anything.

I haven't had a problem with cockroaches, but if that's a risk in having stuff gathered on the floor then I'll just put that in storage. I wasn't aware that cardboard attracts them. I just wonder how much of that can the landlords really regulate though- how much is a legal limit and how much is just "we're looking for excuses to get rid of this guy so we can charge someone else more for rent?" My friends have said that as long as I'm not running a meth lab in here and paying my rent on time, they should just leave me the hell alone.
Old 03-11-14, 10:34 AM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
In my experience people sink money into renting storage units for years and years
I used to go to storage unit auctions. People spend $150 a month to store torn clothing, broken game systems, and worn out furniture. Stuff that no one would buy from them at a yard sale. I once saw a box of empty toilet paper tubes.
Old 03-11-14, 10:43 AM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I haven't had a problem with cockroaches, but if that's a risk in having stuff gathered on the floor then I'll just put that in storage. I wasn't aware that cardboard attracts them. I just wonder how much of that can the landlords really regulate though- how much is a legal limit and how much is just "we're looking for excuses to get rid of this guy so we can charge someone else more for rent?" My friends have said that as long as I'm not running a meth lab in here and paying my rent on time, they should just leave me the hell alone.
That's your assumption though. Unless there is some sort of rent control or if you have a very long lease, they can just raise rent on you when your lease is up. That'll leave you to make the decision to stay or go. Probably easier for them to do that then look for an excuse to evict you.

And as far as them leaving you alone for the mess, I disagree. Pest and fire problems effect your neighbors. It makes complete sense that they would ask you to clean the place up.

You're doing the right thing by placing everything in storage. Once you own a place you can do whatever you want.
Old 03-11-14, 11:02 AM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Gee, you sure have a lot of movies.

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."
Old 03-11-14, 11:03 AM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
One thing this thread did for me is it pushed me to get off my ass and finally pull the trigger on really consolidating my DVDs. I have a wife so things are kept VERY tidy but I have two 7 foot shelves filled with DVDs and a smaller one filled with Blu-rays. I've decided to keep the Blus in their cases for now and go with several of these: http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Black-...pr_product_top

It seems like baby steps because I get to keep the covers and inserts.
Old 03-11-14, 11:11 AM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

I find it cluttered and what I would call a "mess". Everything is haphazard, stuff all over the floor, and that's only from this one picture. I have no problem with your desire to collect, but if I was the owner of the place, I'd have my concerns, too.

There's a few options, already given in this thread. Move more stuff to storage, reorganize and declutter, find out exactly what the problem your landlord has. Most people don't have a problem with the vagueness of their contract, you don't know what their looking for.
Old 03-11-14, 11:25 AM   #64
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 03-11-14, 11:30 AM   #65
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just got this response from "Anna Morphic" :

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed response. As I did not inspect your unit last year or have any part of the tree cutting I cannot comment on those events. However, the city mandates a rental housing inspection to ensure there are not fire or environmental hazards and that we are working with our tenants to ensure units are kept habitable and up to code. In doing so it was found by my maintenance inspector that your unit would not pass should the city officials choose to inspect the building during an audit. It is my responsibility as representation for the owner to ensure we do our part in attempting to remedy any problems, including letting residents know when things need attention. I will mail you the “rights and responsibilities” form from the city of Nowheresville giving you some more information on what each of our roles as landlord and tenant entail and perhaps we can go from there. I don’t want you to stress about this too much. Just do what you can, when you can, to try and remedy the issue. I also know your bathroom floor needs some attention to prevent any further water damage. I will let you know if something is going to be done in there. In the meantime, I wish you the best on your tests.
OK- THAT makes some fucking SENSE if there's a city code involved- but why didn't they just tell me that the FIRST time, instead of going right for the eviction threat and making it hard for me to sleep last night?

And I might as well share this story again as to one reason why I have so much media stuff- when I was a kid, I had almost every Sesame Street record that was out along with tons of other kids' records. When I decided I was too old for them, I sold them all at a garage sale and I don't even remember what I did with the money. A few years later, I wished that I still had the records, and from then on vowed never to get rid of any forms of recorded media. (Books are another story- for some reason I don't have as much of an attachment to them. I don't subscribe to any magazines or newspapers though because I'd have a hard time throwing a lot of those out.) I never want to think "Oh, I had that a while ago, but then I sold it." If other people want to purge their media as they tire of it, fine, but don't force me to do that and I won't force them to keep it.

And one of my main reasons for sending the response that I did was to remind them that I'm a person, not a number (and that evicting me would cause a serious problem for me and my cats, and if they don't see that then they're heartless bastards), and that I do want to work with them on this, not just say "Fuck you, I'll do whatever I want" which would lead to them saying "OK then, you're outta here."
Old 03-11-14, 11:30 AM   #66
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought some of these as a quick and easy way to transport my dvds and blus to the storage building. I like that they have handles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-11-14, 11:34 AM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Holy Christ, I feel a LOT better about my apartment. I feel bad if I have a few books that aren't put away on shelves.
Old 03-11-14, 11:40 AM   #68
DVD Talk Hero

Pics of Anna?

Wait..... Anna Morphic?

Nevermind

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 03-11-14, 11:41 AM   #69
DVD Talk Reviewer

All my DVDs (and Blu-Rays, and HD-DVDs, and laserdiscs that I purchased new and sealed) are on shelves, and organized in a way that possibly only makes sense to me. I have a few books piled on the floor and such however, I'm just not obsessive with those. What made last year's incident bad was that I had just finished the semester and after studying for finals there were papers everywhere on the floor and sofa. As soon as finals were over, I just tossed all the papers. When tests come up, I'd rather have a complete mess of an apartment and do well on the tests, than have my apartment super-clean but not have studied adequately. Call me crazy...
Old 03-11-14, 11:41 AM   #70
DVD Talk Reviewer

Names have been changed
Old 03-11-14, 11:44 AM   #71
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a pig sty.
Old 03-11-14, 11:45 AM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Names have been changed
Ha! As if Alan Smithee would not use a real name

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 03-11-14, 11:48 AM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Pics of Anna?

Wait..... Anna Morphic?

Nevermind
She's probably very wide.
Old 03-11-14, 11:50 AM   #74
DVD Talk Reviewer

She's actually skinny, but if you wear the right glasses she looks perfect. But that'd be sexual harassment which would definitely get me kicked out.
Old 03-11-14, 11:59 AM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

I am no expert but in further reading your posts it appears to me that you are a hoarder.

I wish you the best of luck especially when you live in someone else's building or residence.