Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-17-17, 09:16 PM   #3801

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I saw this posted on Reddit, and instantly thought of this thread:
What the hell?! With all of the streaming options available these days, why would anyone keep all of this shit?! I can see keeping these if they were Blu-ray's, but most of them look like regular DVD's. And, many regular DVD's look like crap on most HD sets these days.
Old 03-17-17, 09:18 PM   #3802
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
The guy cried when I told him I picked up someone I knows LD collection that I really only wanted a few out of, along with a CLD-97? (one high end elite player) that he just gave me, and I threw out 100's (300+) of his discs. Just trashed them.
Oh my god, I'm crying over that right now! This is why I have to take spontaneous naps. You could've at least given them to a thrift store. (I had a CLD-97 which someone sold me for $1 in front of my apartment building, but ended up selling it at a profit after the player had too many issues for me to deal with.)

This is also why I'm hesitant to give away or even sell stuff to just anyone- I wouldn't want it to go in the trash.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 03-17-17, 10:17 PM   #3803
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post

This is also why I'm hesitant to give away or even sell stuff to just anyone- I wouldn't want it to go in the trash.
You just diagnosed your own sickness. It's why you live in an uninhabitable apartment that will eventually kill you and become your tomb.
Old 03-17-17, 11:41 PM   #3804
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
What the hell?! With all of the streaming options available these days, why would anyone keep all of this shit?! I can see keeping these if they were Blu-ray's, but most of them look like regular DVD's. And, many regular DVD's look like crap on most HD sets these days.
While I've sold off a ton of stuff, I still have a large number of DVDs left in my collection (probably triple the amount in that photo). I'm still in the process of downsizing, but I'm not going to completely unload a personal library I spent years building just because it's not in high def. Honestly, most upconverted DVDs look fine on my television.

I don't have the desire (or the cash) to upgrade every single title that gets the blu-ray treatment -- and I certainly don't want to be at the mercy of a streaming service in terms of availability. Of course, having free space and organization skills is important. If I had to stack everything to the ceiling sideways, I might rethink my position...
Old 03-18-17, 12:48 PM   #3805
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
A lot of movies still aren't available on Netflix or whatever though.

I commented before, I rip discs (or if I'm lazy, download someone else's rip, shhh, don't tell anyone ) and dump them on my plex server. DVDs get donated, HD-DVDs are in a pile to be thrown out.

Just switched out the old bad internal 3TB drive in the box (little IBM desktop that cost me $99) for a 6tb drive, and the external 5tb I was using is now the offline backup.

Lots of space on there for movies & TV, you can stream to tablets and Roku, and no space used.

So nice and convenient.

Only buy most favorite-ist of titles, or stuff I really like but benefits from the bitrate on BDs.

I've got a coworker who went even farther and rips all his BDs with no compression to his large NAS / Plex setup, so he doesn't have to put discs in. That's too much work and HDD storage needed just to save putting discs in for me.
Old 03-19-17, 02:05 AM   #3806
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-19-17, 03:26 AM   #3807
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
While I've sold off a ton of stuff, I still have a large number of DVDs left in my collection (probably triple the amount in that photo). I'm still in the process of downsizing, but I'm not going to completely unload a personal library I spent years building just because it's not in high def. Honestly, most upconverted DVDs look fine on my television.

I don't have the desire (or the cash) to upgrade every single title that gets the blu-ray treatment -- and I certainly don't want to be at the mercy of a streaming service in terms of availability. Of course, having free space and organization skills is important. If I had to stack everything to the ceiling sideways, I might rethink my position...
So true. I'm not trashing my DVD collection.
Old 03-19-17, 09:39 AM   #3808
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbilly View Post
I got the deluxe limited special edition steelbook blu-ray of that doc!
Old 03-19-17, 12:59 PM   #3809
DVD Talk Legend

I have that doc, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. It's somewhere in my unwatched pile.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 03-19-17, 01:19 PM   #3810
DVD Talk Legend

I've ripped all of my Blu-rays to my Apple TV and within the last year I've switched over completely to digital only purchases. I still have my 500+ Blu-Rays but I think about ditching them often. Unfortunately I built custom shelves for them that are a wall of my AV cabinet (and one section is hinged and swings out so I can access the back of my gear.) If I got rid of them I'd have to fill that with something else. So they stay for now but I certainly don't need them anymore.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 03-19-17, 04:12 PM   #3811
DVD Talk Reviewer

Funny that the person who posted the "Minimalism" trailer has a signature saying "You can't collect a digital file." And I'm disappointed it's just the trailer, I'll watch the whole thing online if it's available, otherwise I'll wait for the laserdisc box set

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 03-19-17, 08:30 PM   #3812
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Oh my god, I'm crying over that right now! This is why I have to take spontaneous naps. You could've at least given them to a thrift store. (I had a CLD-97 which someone sold me for $1 in front of my apartment building, but ended up selling it at a profit after the player had too many issues for me to deal with.)

As a soon-to-be-former thrift store manager: Don't give your shit to thrift stores.

VHS and DVDs rarely sell. Laser discs are just going to sit on the shelf, one might sell to someone who thinks it's a record, then meet their end in a dumpster.

Throwing them away cuts out the middle man. I don't need my store to look like your apartment.
Old 03-19-17, 09:18 PM   #3813
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the deal: 99.9% of all media produced is useless crap.

Old VHS tapes are junk now. Nobody wants them, few people still have VHS players. Unless it's something particularly rare that hasn't been released on a better format it's garbage. Toss those VHS copies of "Under Siege" and "Speed 2" into the trash.

Same with laser discs. There are even fewer people with LD players out there than VHS players.

DVDs are going that way, too. Unless it's something desirable to collectors, it's trash. Nobody will ever want your old, non-anamorphic widescreen DVD of "Mimic."

Old books? 99.9% of them will never be read again. That old Kelsey Grammer autobiography will just sit on a shelf unloved and forgotten.

That box of old 8-tracks sitting in a cardboard box?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-20-17, 12:55 AM   #3814
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Funny that the person who posted the "Minimalism" trailer has a signature saying "You can't collect a digital file."
That is correct, I'll take quality over convenience any time. I'm a movie collector but I also purge since I tend to blind buy occasionally.
Old 03-20-17, 08:12 AM   #3815
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I definitely only buy the movies I really, really, like - same thing with music.

I look at a lot of people's collections on here and I wonder how you even had the time to buy that many let alone watch them.
Old 03-20-17, 09:58 AM   #3816
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
I definitely only buy the movies I really, really, like - same thing with music.

I look at a lot of people's collections on here and I wonder how you even had the time to buy that many let alone watch them.
A large collection can be built if you collect long enough. If you've been buying DVDs since the late 90s, it would be no surprise to have a very large collection at this point. I've been buying DVDs since 2000 and BDs since 2008 and have a combined total of around 760 titles. Now, my collection would be far greater in number if I didn't purge titles I upgraded to BD or no longer cared for which, judging by comments, some people don't do.

I don't remember which thread I posted this in, but a while back I made a comment that I thought a lot of people who have giant collections of movies were compulsive buyers who happened to be buying DVDs/BDs. You see this where someone says they're buying a movie because it's been re-released in a steelbook or comes in a nice box or was released by one of these specialty companies or falls under a certain genre. Whether or not they like or watch the movie seems to end up being a moot point, as the person seems more concerned with the movie's packaging and having it on their shelf than the movie itself.
Old 03-20-17, 03:15 PM   #3817
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The local pawn shops were my major vice. Single DVDs were $3, but for a few years they sold them for $1 each if you bought ten at once. I'd go every weekend and find at least two movies I wanted... and in my mind it just made sense to pick eight filler titles to hit that $10 threshold.

Add GoHastings and Big Lots sales into the mix and it was surprisingly easy aquire 4,000 titles in less than a decade. I never purged anything and my backlog of unwatched discs was ridiculous... so yeah, it was an addiction. I finally reached my limit and unloaded 1500 titles over the last few years. At least I didn't pay more than the cost of a rental for most of them to begin with.
Old 03-20-17, 03:48 PM   #3818
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^you should post a picture of your current collection

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-20-17, 04:24 PM   #3819
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right after Blu posts his motivational board.
Old 03-20-17, 04:50 PM   #3820

Quote:
I'm disappointed it's just the trailer, I'll watch the whole thing online if it's available, otherwise I'll wait for the laserdisc box set
At the films website, they have links to where you can view it. According to the website it's on Netflix, can be streamed on Amazon (for a fee), and a physical dvd is also available.

http://minimalismfilm.com/
Old 03-20-17, 05:47 PM   #3821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Here's the deal: 99.9% of all media produced is useless crap.

Old VHS tapes are junk now. Nobody wants them, few people still have VHS players. Unless it's something particularly rare that hasn't been released on a better format it's garbage. Toss those VHS copies of "Under Siege" and "Speed 2" into the trash.

Same with laser discs. There are even fewer people with LD players out there than VHS players.

DVDs are going that way, too. Unless it's something desirable to collectors, it's trash. Nobody will ever want your old, non-anamorphic widescreen DVD of "Mimic."

That box of old 8-tracks sitting in a cardboard box?
I agree with most of this. VHS tapes and Laser Disks are big, steaming piles of shit. Terrible, sub-par home video formats. I hated them when they were popular (even before the existence of DVD's), and hate them even more now.

Some DVD's are great, but I agree a lot of the older, non-anamorphic ones - especially with crap PQ - are steaming piles of shit as well.
Old 03-20-17, 07:08 PM   #3822
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
^you should post a picture of your current collection
It's a bit scattered at the moment, as I'm still pulling titles to trade-in or donate on a weekly basis. I did reorganize the TV season sets last week. This is about a fourth of my entire DVD collection:

Spoiler:
I'm going to try and convert a closet into shelving for about 900 DVDs this summer, as I don't like everything being stored two rows deep on these bookshelves.

Last edited by joe_b; 03-20-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 09:25 AM   #3823
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really nicely organized. I have put the majority of my TV shows in Binders to save some space but I also keep the big boxsets on top of the shelves.
Two rows is good, you have enough space on the top of each shelf to access the back row

Here is a pic I posted a little while ago of the binders. I recently moved so I reorganized my bookshelves, have to take a picture of it.

Last edited by nando820; 03-21-17 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 02:51 PM   #3824
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those binders do look great. Might go that route eventually.

I now regret buying some of the bigger fold-out box sets. Buffy and Angel were the only series I rushed out to purchase on release week. They've since been reissued in regular DVD cases that take up 1/3 of the shelf space -- and at a fraction of the price. Live and learn, I guess.

I want to move my media collection behind closet doors because I also have a large number of action figures/collectibles that were boxed away until I could free up more space. Without proper room to display everything, it can quickly turn into a cluttered mess... so those bookshelves could probably be put to better use.
Old 03-27-17, 01:11 PM   #3825
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Okay, that's just about enough. No tab shaming...

That's NOTHING. I have over 100 tabs open in Chrome... ON MY PHONE!