DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-19-17, 10:06 AM   #27201
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 42nd Random Pic Thread to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

^ What in the holy hell is that???

My god, a child with access to paint and a brush could've fucked up a canvas with that crapterpiece.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 05-19-17, 10:14 AM   #27202
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 42nd Random Pic Thread to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everyt

LINK
Old 05-19-17, 10:15 AM   #27203
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-19-17, 10:17 AM   #27204
DVD Talk Legend

It's Basquiat. By your deduction, anyone could have directed Goodfellas. Nobody paints like Basquiat. Nobody makes a movie like Scorsese. And nobody (nobody!) rides a train like Riley Reid. All in my opinion, of course.

The $100M price is the insulting part. I'm kind of pissed that someone has the cash to put up for that. And, aweee man, can I just have some?
Old 05-19-17, 10:30 AM   #27205
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
The $100M price is the insulting part. I'm kind of pissed that someone has the cash to put up for that. And, aweee man, can I just have some?
Don't be a hater. It's going to look great in my garage next to the dart board.
Old 05-19-17, 10:33 AM   #27206
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It's Basquiat. By your deduction, anyone could have directed Goodfellas. Nobody paints like Basquiat. Nobody makes a movie like Scorsese. And nobody (nobody!) rides a train like Riley Reid. All in my opinion, of course.
That is an illogical but common leap.
Old 05-19-17, 10:35 AM   #27207
DVD Talk Legend

LINK
Old 05-19-17, 10:35 AM   #27208
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-19-17, 10:51 AM   #27209
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Old 05-19-17, 10:53 AM   #27210
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Modern art is where super rich people stash their cash. The prices are artificially inflated.
Old 05-19-17, 11:17 AM   #27211
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Modern art is where super rich people stash their cash. The prices are artificially inflated.

Rock star sells out
Old 05-19-17, 11:18 AM   #27212
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Willy Wonka: South America

They just need some Oompa Loompas dipping into that chocolate river.
Old 05-19-17, 11:21 AM   #27213
Suave Member

yummy

NSFW:
Old 05-19-17, 11:29 AM   #27214
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Jay Leno's garage.
Old 05-19-17, 12:36 PM   #27215
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's Basquiat. By your deduction, anyone could have directed Goodfellas. Nobody paints like Basquiat.
Take one of his unknown paintings, put it in another part of the museum, cover the signature and list it as painted by "Jim-Bob Jones" and no one would give a shit about it.
Old 05-19-17, 12:59 PM   #27216
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
That's probably why he's the richest member of Metallica, worth over $500 million.

- Machiavelli
Old 05-19-17, 02:24 PM   #27217
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Take one of his unknown paintings, put it in another part of the museum, cover the signature and list it as painted by "Jim-Bob Jones" and no one would give a shit about it.
True. But interest in the artist is what drives up the value. If Jim-Bob Jones was a celebrated junkie painter (okay, I don't know that much about B.) then his art would hold similar value.

I'm also aware that rich people stash their cash in expensive art. I'm all-for the ultra-elite investing in industry and helping build society from a privileged executive position and stuff. But I'm with the Occupy Wall Street-ers when it comes to some dude spending $100M on a painting.
Old 05-19-17, 02:47 PM   #27218
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
True. But interest in the artist is what drives up the value. If Jim-Bob Jones was a celebrated junkie painter (okay, I don't know that much about B.) then his art would hold similar value.
That's kinda my point. Obviously there would have to have been some interest in the actual art to start off the whole buzz... but once it starts, the art has little to do with it and everyone jumps on the bandwagon based on name recognition. It's almost like those celebrities who are famous for being famous. The stashing/laundering money into art just elevates it to another stratosphere.

At the very least, give me art that actually looks like something. I like abstract art - but I'm talking Group of Seven type of abstract... not this Jackson Pollock taking a dump on canvas crap.
Old 05-19-17, 03:00 PM   #27219
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-19-17, 03:15 PM   #27220
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 05-19-17, 03:21 PM   #27221
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Ugly painting
Spoiler:
Old 05-19-17, 04:10 PM   #27222
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always wanted to break into a museum and turn all of the Jackson Pollock paintings upside down to see how long it would take for people to notice.
Old 05-19-17, 04:27 PM   #27223
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
This begged an insert photoshop -

Croc RULE!
Old 05-19-17, 06:26 PM   #27224
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Ha! You are poor people! If you really were one of the ultra-rich you would be using it FOR a dart board. And you would have a dart board room for your dart board. Who keeps their dart board in the garage?

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.
Old 05-19-17, 06:43 PM   #27225
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I always wanted to break into a museum and turn all of the Jackson Pollock paintings upside down to see how long it would take for people to notice.
You could just leave a pineapple in the museum. The answer is a few days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/w...land.html?_r=0

How a Humble Pineapple Became Art
By DAN BILEFSKYMAY 11, 2017

Spoilered for article size
Spoiler:

LONDON — How did a pineapple become a postmodern masterpiece?

The aesthetic merits of tropical fruit inadvertently entered Britain’s national cultural conversation after two students jokingly placed a store-bought pineapple on an empty table at an art exhibition this month at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, a port city in northeastern Scotland.

When they returned a few days later to the exhibition — part of the Look Again festival, which aims to highlight Aberdeen’s cultural heritage — they were shocked to discover their pineapple protected by a glass display case, instantly and mysteriously transformed into a work of art.

After one of the students, Lloyd Jack, 22, who studies business, put a photograph of the pineapple on Twitter, along with the words, “I made art,” the image was shared widely on social media, turning the fruit, fairly or not, into a cultural sensation. To some, though, the stunt was a self-promoting social media prank befitting the digital age.

Mr. Jack’s post received nearly 5,000 likes on Twitter. Before long, the work, which the two students titled “Pineapple,” had been deconstructed on art blogs and social media worldwide; parsed in Paris, Texas and Tokyo; and even featured on Canadian television. Some on Twitter lauded its “genius,” while others ridiculed it as the latest example of conceptual art’s plodding banality.

Mr. Jack said he and the other student, Ruairi Gray, also 22, had been stunned by the attention afforded the pineapple, which he said the two had put on the table in a moment of lighthearted whimsy, slanted slightly to the left to give it a bit more gravitas and flair. He said the “work” was on display for nearly a week before it was removed.

“We weren’t sure how the glass case got there, and initially assumed it was bungling curators,” he said. “We couldn’t believe our eyes, and didn’t expect our lowly little supermarket pineapple to become a global star.”

The fruit cost one pound, or about $1.30.

Nevertheless, he said, the pineapple, alone in its display case and destined to rot, was a poignant symbol of Britain in the era of “Brexit,” the nation’s decision to leave the European Union. (Unlike England, Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain.) “The pineapple symbolizes the U.K. leaving the E.U., standing alone, attempting to survive, cut off from the outside world,” he said.

Others saw hidden meaning in the pineapple, including an art professor at the university who, Mr. Gray said, enthusiastically lauded the “purposeful way” in which the display case had pressed down on the fruit’s leaves.

“It just goes to show the ludicrousness of conceptual art and how anything can become art,” Mr. Jack said.

Others were not altogether amused, including the organizers of the Look Again festival, who found their exhibition suddenly hijacked by a fruit. After investigating the renegade pineapple, they discovered that the glass case had been placed at the exhibition by a janitor — though it was unclear whether the act had been motivated by humor, artistic sensibility or both.

“This pineapple was nothing more than a prank,” said Hilary Nicoll, an associate director of the festival, with amusement tinged with slight irritation.

“The pineapple is playful, which is in the spirit of the festival. It shows Scottish cheekiness,” she said. “There are better metaphors for a decadent Britain than a pineapple. And there are no cultural connections between Scotland and pineapples that I am aware of. We grow potatoes or turnips.”

The artistic aggrandizement of the pineapple has echoes in art history, including the tradition of found objects’ becoming art. Some cultural observers said the pineapple recalled Marcel Duchamp, a French artist and pioneer of the Dada movement who famously turned a urinal upside down, signed it with the fake name “R. Mutt” and proclaimed it art.

Peter York, an author and cultural commentator, noted that the pineapple display, consciously or not, wittily reflected Duchamp’s notion that if you declare something art, it becomes art.

“I rank pineapples quite highly as they are quite decorative objects, sort of colonial superfruits, with leaves that look like green fountains at the top,” he said. “But you wouldn’t really want a pineapple exhibited in your home.”

The pineapple was also reminiscent of other recent artistic pranks.

In May last year, visitors to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art seemed to believe a pair of glasses on the floor was part of an exhibition. Two teenagers had left them there as a joke, apparently unimpressed by the simplicity of some of the museum’s exhibits, including two stuffed animals on a blanket. Several visitors stood transfixed, staring at and photographing the Burberry glasses, which soon became a cause célčbre.

In 2003, the enigmatic artist Banksy, disguised as an older man, placed an oil painting he had bought on the street — a rural scene which he defaced with blue and white tape to represent a police line — on the wall of Tate Britain in London. Next to it, he put the caption: “This new acquisition is a beautiful example of the neo post-idiotic style. Little is known about Banksy, whose work is inspired by cannabis resin and daytime television.”

The ruse was discovered, but only hours later, after the work, “Crimewatch UK Has Ruined the Countryside for All of Us,” crashed to the floor.

Kurtie Dee gets Otter:Think about that: Since you're asking us, you know what you want to do is wrong.