Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-09-13, 03:55 PM   #1
Iron_Giant
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Texas college student shot & killed by university’s police

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-st...ersity-police/

Robert Cameron Redus was stopped (some report have it that the Campus Police pulled him over 2 blocks off campus) and the officers said a “a struggle ensued”
-Robert Cameron Redus "Took" the police officer's baton and hit the officer with it
-The Officer pulled his gun
-The Officer was able to get his baton back
-Robert Cameron Redus continued to resist arrest
-The Officer shot Robert 5 or 6 times (some reports say he unloaded his gun into Robert)

This report says:
The news website MySanAntonio.com reports that a witness to the exchange, which took place in the parking lot of an apartment complex around 2 a.m., said he heard a man say, “’Oh, you're gonna shoot me?', like sarcastic almost.”

Like all stories, one side sounds good until the other side comes forward.
-It will be interesting to see where this story goes.
-I won't judge until more facts come in (Remember the Waitress Hoax Story)
Old 12-09-13, 03:58 PM   #2
bluetoast
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Texas college student shot & killed by university’s police

Old 12-09-13, 04:04 PM   #3
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just tell us who to donate to!

My 2013 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXjejnulTo
Old 12-09-13, 04:06 PM   #4
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he was wearing a hoody?
Old 12-09-13, 04:47 PM   #5
Goldberg74
DVD Talk Legend

I teach at this small university and work in the same school as the Communication Arts faculty. I know many of the students in that department, but do not know Ben. I am good friends with his advisor (whom I sat next to at commencement yesterday) and we talked about the vigil that was held Saturday night.

Today, our university PR department released this statement (sent to us faculty):

Quote:
The University of the Incarnate Word community is deeply saddened by the shooting that occurred on Friday, Dec. 6. We are awaiting the results of the Alamo Heights Police Department (AHPD) investigation. The AHPD are primary investigators on the case with assistance from the Texas Rangers.

The university has waited to release details of the event so as not to interfere with the ongoing investigation. However, what we can currently confirm is that Cpl. Chris Carter, returning from a break while on shift, observed a driver on Broadway near the front of campus driving erratically at a high rate of speed. As a licensed peace officer who has met all qualifications set by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) the same as all Texas peace officers, Carter was obligated to pull the suspect over to ensure the public’s safety.

He followed the suspect who turned into the Treehouse Apartments. He radioed the university for assistance, however, he mistakenly identified his street location and the call was routed from Alamo Heights to the San Antonio Police Department. When further information was given it was determined he was within the boundaries of Alamo Heights and Alamo Heights PD were recalled. This caused a delay of several minutes in response.

During the wait for assistance the officer tried to restrain the suspect who repeatedly resisted. During the struggle, the officer attempted to subdue the suspect with his baton however; the baton was taken by the suspect who used it to hit the officer. The officer drew his firearm and was able to knock the baton from the suspect who continued to resist arrest. Shots were fired.

At no time during the incident did the suspect identify himself and there is no evidence that the officer had any knowledge of his student status or his place of residence.

UIW police carry steel batons and pepper spray in addition to their firearms. UIW police began carrying firearms 15 – 20 years ago for the protection of students, faculty and staff after the national increase in campus violence began. This is the first instance of a suspect shooting in UIW history.

UIW police vehicles are equipped with dash cams, however, the vehicle in use was added to the fleet two days prior. Southwest Public Safety had installed the camera but the change in temperature prevented the glue from setting and it had fallen off the evening before the incident. Officers had made arrangements to have it remounted.

UIW is committed to a full and thorough investigation and are currently assisting the Alamo Heights Police Department in their investigation into the matter. The university is deeply upset over the loss of life regardless of the circumstances.
So there you have it. That's what the school is saying.

Today, CNN, CBS, and ABC were in our building talking to some of the Communication Arts faculty and students. It took awhile to hit the national media, but now it's in the news for everyone to talk about.

"My apologies to this thread for assuming you all had eyes, ears, and a decent memory." - NiCK Crush

"A Michael Bay movie is like the opening of the Ark of the Covenant; it melts my face, but I cannot look away." - slop101
Old 12-09-13, 04:50 PM   #6
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Another street execution.
Old 12-09-13, 04:57 PM   #7
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Southwest Public Safety had installed the camera but the change in temperature prevented the glue from setting and it had fallen off the evening before the incident.
Funny how those cameras only "fall off the evening before" when the victim is black.

This kid was unarmed, and the white cop shot him.

I look forward to the white people investigating this and finding nothing wrong with it.

http://savejace.info/
Old 12-09-13, 04:58 PM   #8
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
UIW police vehicles are equipped with dash cams, however, the vehicle in use was added to the fleet two days prior. Southwest Public Safety had installed the camera but the change in temperature prevented the glue from setting and it had fallen off the evening before the incident. Officers had made arrangements to have it remounted.
How convenient!

My 2013 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXjejnulTo
Old 12-09-13, 05:02 PM   #9
zyzzle
DVD Talk Special Edition

Next up:

The media circus, and the five-year, $100 million lawsuit for "wrongful death and use of excessive force."

Some folks, including this person who ("probably) got what he deserved, will never learn that when an officer pulls a firearm, he means business. That's no time for resisting arrest and / or disobeyance.
Old 12-09-13, 05:04 PM   #10
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's no time for resisting arrest and / or disobeyance.
disobeyance?

[looks it up]

Okay, that's a real word.

Old 12-09-13, 05:12 PM   #11
SuperJim88
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I fought the law and the law won.
Old 12-09-13, 05:27 PM   #12
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r S1mpson View Post
Funny how those cameras only "fall off the evening before" when the victim is black.

I look forward to the white people investigating this and finding nothing wrong with it.
The student who was shot was white.
Old 12-09-13, 05:31 PM   #13
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Phoenix, AZ, Passively angry as heck but gosh darn I'll sit back and take it you know, whatever

Did they test for Skittle residue?
Old 12-09-13, 05:34 PM   #14
bunkaroo
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Damn.

Wait - there's still a chance for racial disharmony. Is the cop black?
Old 12-09-13, 05:35 PM   #15
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
IF that's true, then it probably wasn't by choice. Plus it was dark and the attacker might have thought racial thoughts in the dark. What should matter here is the attacker and his history, not the innocent victim.

Old 12-09-13, 05:42 PM   #16
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
What should matter here is the attacker and his history, not the innocent victim.
Resisting arrest and beating the officer with his own baton is "innocent?"

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 12-09-13, 05:44 PM   #17
Goldberg74
DVD Talk Legend

Here is some more info on Cpl. Carter from an SA Express News article:

Quote:
Carter has been placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation, the university announced Friday afternoon. He was described by university officials as having an “extensive law enforcement background.”

Over the course of Carter's eight-year law career in Texas, he has held nine jobs at eight agencies, including two stints at the Bexar County Sheriff's Office, files kept by the state agency for licensing peace officers show.

He rarely was at an agency more than a year and his shortest job was for seven months as a reserve officer for the San Antonio Municipal Court Marshals Division. So far, the two years and seven months he's spent at UIW is the longest stretch of employment, the files show.

"My apologies to this thread for assuming you all had eyes, ears, and a decent memory." - NiCK Crush

"A Michael Bay movie is like the opening of the Ark of the Covenant; it melts my face, but I cannot look away." - slop101
Old 12-09-13, 06:02 PM   #18
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's one version. The story is... lacking. How did a competent officer allow a civilian to take his baton away from him? Then the story goes:

Quote:
The officer drew his firearm and was able to knock the baton from the suspect who continued to resist arrest. Shots were fired.
So drawing his weapon allowed him to knock the baton away from the civilian? How? Did he pistol whip the guy or what? It feels like very important details are missing here.

Old 12-09-13, 06:38 PM   #19
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
That's one version. The story is... lacking. How did a competent officer allow a civilian to take his baton away from him? Then the story goes:

So drawing his weapon allowed him to knock the baton away from the civilian? How? Did he pistol whip the guy or what? It feels like very important details are missing here.
I don't need a blow-by-blow and altercations can be confusing and messy.

This works just fine: He pulled his baton. The student took it away and hit him. He pulled his gun and knocked the baton out the student's hand with his other hand. The student continued to fight with him and the officer shot him.
Old 12-09-13, 06:44 PM   #20
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant View Post
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-st...ersity-police/

Robert Cameron Redus was stopped (some report have it that the Campus Police pulled him over 2 blocks off campus) and the officers said a “a struggle ensued”
-Robert Cameron Redus "Took" the police officer's baton and hit the officer with it
-The Officer pulled his gun
-The Officer was able to get his baton back
-Robert Cameron Redus continued to resist arrest
-The Officer shot Robert 5 or 6 times (some reports say he unloaded his gun into Robert)

This report says:
The news website MySanAntonio.com reports that a witness to the exchange, which took place in the parking lot of an apartment complex around 2 a.m., said he heard a man say, “’Oh, you're gonna shoot me?', like sarcastic almost.”

Like all stories, one side sounds good until the other side comes forward.
-It will be interesting to see where this story goes.
-I won't judge until more facts come in (Remember the Waitress Hoax Story)
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking here I don't believe campus PD's jurisdiction stops at the campus boundary. If its anything like my state they are fully sworn officers with jurisdiction in the municipality not just the campus they work for.
Old 12-09-13, 06:52 PM   #21
Goldberg74
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking here I don't believe campus PD's jurisdiction stops at the campus boundary. If its anything like my state they are fully sworn officers with jurisdiction in the municipality not just the campus they work for.
In Texas (like your state) all officers are.

Old 12-09-13, 07:45 PM   #22
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

The way I usually avoid being shot by the police is that I don't get drunk, start fights with them and try to take their weapons.
Old 12-09-13, 08:01 PM   #23
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The way I usually avoid being shot by the police is that I don't get drunk, start fights with them and try to take their weapons.
I bet you git all dah weemonz at dah parteez.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-09-13, 08:27 PM   #24
Talkin2Phil
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was the kid high on Molly?
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 12-09-13, 09:01 PM   #25
Nausicaa
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
IF that's true, then it probably wasn't by choice. Plus it was dark and the attacker might have thought racial thoughts in the dark. What should matter here is the attacker and his history, not the innocent victim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
You really don't see what he's trying to do here?