Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-26-13, 02:13 AM   #1
grundle
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Krokodil" is new illegal drug, which mixes codeine with gasoline, and eats your skin

Who would have ever guessed that injecting gasoline into your body could actually be dangerous?

I am spoilerizing the pictures, which are not safe for work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

Horrific images of users emerge as first cases of flesh eating homemade heroin substitute that is mixed with gasoline are reported in Arizona

September 25, 2013

The first cases of a terrifying new drug called 'Krokodil' that eats flesh from the inside out, is flammable and leaves addicts with reptilian-like skin have been reported this week in Arizona - and the state fears the beginning of an epidemic.

Popular in Russia, Krokodil is homemade, is three-times cheaper than heroin and created by mixing codeine with gasoline or oil, filtering it and then injecting the rancid concoction into the users body.

Banner's Poison Control Center most likely encountered the drug when two addicts arrived in emergency rooms with their flesh hanging off their body, exposing bone or with skin resembling that of a crocodile, hence its name.

'We've had two cases this past week that have occurred in Arizona,' said Dr. Frank LoVecchio, the co-medical director at Banner's Poison Control Center to KPHO.Com.

'As far as I know, these are the first cases in the United States that are reported. So we're extremely frightened,' he continued.

Continual use of Krokodil causes blood vessels to burst, leaving skin green and scaly among addicts eventually causing gangrene and their flesh to begin to rot.

Rabid use in Russia has caused up to 2.5 million people to register and seek treatment as addicts and the average life span for a user is only two to three years.

'When drug users do it repeatedly, the skin sloughs. It causes hardening of their skin. It will cause necrosis,' explained LoVecchio.

'Where there is smoke there is fire, and we're afraid there are going to be more and more cases,' said LoVechhio.

In Russia, Krokodil usage is spreading like a virus among young people and according to a Time magazine investigation, even those who manage to quit their addiction come away disfigured for life.

Some users in Russia develop brain damage and speech impediments in addition to the horrific scars.

Krokodil, whose medical name is desomorphine, has the same mental effect as heroin but is produced with over-the-counter codeine and mixed with gasoline, paint thinner, hydrochloric acid and even the red phosphorous scraped from the tips of matches.

Prevalent in Siberia and the Russian Far East, the explosion of users began in 2002, but over the past five years in Russia, usage has trebled.

In 2011 alone, Russia's Federal Drug Control Service confiscated 65 million doses.

The flesh rotting that is specific to Krokodil occurs directly at the injection site which could be anywhere from the feet to the forehead to the more traditional arms.

According to Time magazine, 'Gangrene and amputations are a common result, while porous bone tissue, especially in the lower jaw, often starts to dissipate, eaten up by the drug's acidity.'

Spoiler:

Effects of Krokodil: This Russian man is suffering the side-effects of Krokodil use - Banner's Poison Control Center in Arizona says the two first cases of people using a drug that can rot flesh have been reported

This man's foot shows symptoms of gangrene and scaliness associated with addiction to Krokodil

An individual's fingers are rotting away

Scales: The drug is called Krokodil because it leaves users with scaly skin akin to that of a crocodile

Last edited by grundle; 09-26-13 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 03:44 AM   #2
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "Krokodil" is new illegal drug, which mixes codeine with gasoline, and eats your

Krokodil is a NEW illegal drug?

Old 09-26-13, 09:10 AM   #3
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Re: "Krokodil" is new illegal drug, which mixes codeine with gasoline, and eats your

I hope more drug addicts use this stuff.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-26-13, 09:15 AM   #4
taffer
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
...leaves addicts with reptilian-like skin...
Old 09-26-13, 09:17 AM   #5
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Phoenix, AZ, Passively angry as heck but gosh darn I'll sit back and take it you know, whatever

I heard about this stuff a few years ago. Totally gross. But, as it goes, stupid people will always find drugs.
Old 09-26-13, 09:28 AM   #6
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Brad failed.
Old 09-26-13, 09:57 AM   #7
EddieMoney
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just watched some Youtube videos.

Pretty awesome!

"Krokodil...it's a hell of a drug."

" YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE THE BALL LICKERS. " - daniel_michaeli
Old 09-26-13, 04:15 PM   #8
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend

If might makes the flesh fall of your bones and people still use it, it must be an incredible high.
"Two guys in a bathroom stall it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich
Old 09-26-13, 04:18 PM   #9
junglalien
Banned

It's old news in Russia but it has finally made it to the US. There are 2 cases in Arizona. Gawker, Huffpost and FOX are all running stories today.
Old 09-26-13, 04:31 PM   #10
Nausicaa
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If might makes the flesh fall of your bones and people still use it, it must be an incredible high.
People use it because their lives are desperate and hopeless, and they can't get anything better. See that Vice video, those users are all well aware of what awaits them and they don't care - they don't expect to live another year.

I'm surprised it would make it to the US though - I didn't think there would be too many people so desperate here who wouldn't otherwise be able to locate a 'normal' drug.

More drug war casualties, really. Keep making the relatively safer drugs difficult and expensive to obtain, and people turn to this crap, stupid as it may be.

Sell weed and MDMA at 7/11, and see how long this stuff survives. Not long I'd guess. Sure prior users and addicts may stick out for a while, but new users will wane.
Old 09-26-13, 04:59 PM   #11
Solid Snake
DVD Talk Hero

God. I remember those videos so so stupid. Disgusting shit too.
Old 09-26-13, 05:03 PM   #12
majorjoe23
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

You guys are pussies. All the cool kids are doing it.
Old 09-26-13, 05:31 PM   #13
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
The challenge just got easier though with it on our own shores. No travel or language barrier.

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 09-26-13, 06:28 PM   #14
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend

Arizona.

PSN - whysoblu

Check out my VINYL Collection!
Old 09-26-13, 07:57 PM   #15
zyzzle
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've gotta be fucking kidding?

Darwin was right. Stupidity knows no bounds.
Old 09-28-13, 09:26 AM   #16
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

wait... one of the ingredients is gasoline?

Surely meth is cheaper.
Old 09-28-13, 08:31 PM   #17
Ghostbuster

After watching parts of those videos, this quote from Super 8 sprang to mind: Drugs are so bad.
"Opponents of projects for bringing about social change have a number of defense devices they resort to almost automatically. One of the commonest, and laziest, of these devices is the assertion that the proposal goes contrary to human nature."

- John Dewey, Teachers College Record
Old 09-28-13, 08:43 PM   #18
dsa_shea
DVD Talk Legend

Don't people know how expensive gasoline is these days?
Old 09-28-13, 11:15 PM   #19
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for spoiling the finale of Breaking Bad
Old 09-28-13, 11:24 PM   #20
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Don't people know how expensive gasoline is these days?
Don't matta if you stealz it.

[Burp]

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-30-13, 10:17 PM   #21
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

“New”

You're so with it, grundle.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 10-01-13, 03:26 AM   #22
crazyronin
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
“New”

You're so with it, grundle.
Mocking grundle for considering Krokodil "new" is so post #3, Bus.

Old 10-02-13, 08:49 AM   #23
EddieMoney
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I was the girl in the second video, I'd say fuck it and kill myself.

"Krokodil...it's a hell of a drug."

" YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE THE BALL LICKERS. " - daniel_michaeli