DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-24-17, 06:22 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Pet Peeves?
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Music
This thread not having a Wiki was a peeve.... but that's since been fixed.

(reserved for list of peeves)

You don't smoke weed? - kvrdave

Very informative Wikipost, thanks!!!

Print Wikipost

Old 07-25-13, 05:36 PM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Pet Peeves?

Ran into one today - people who stop on escalators. Fuckin' hell, unless you're disabled, keep walking up the stairs, you lazy fat ass, or I will make you disabled!
Old 07-25-13, 06:15 PM   #102
Banned

One of my biggest peeves is the politically correct crowd's massive agenda. They use terms like "offensive" and "equality" to mask their real motive: turning America into a completely secularized nation of morally-bankrupt relativists. They don't want any religion - especially Christianity - having any influence over the government, in spite of there being no Constitutional prohibition. They hurl insults toward anyone who steadfastly disagrees with them, but cry foul when their opponents introduce evidence for the idiocy of their worldview. They've redefined "tolerance" in the public eye, turning it from a reluctant acceptance of what you don't like, to embracing everything (but religion) as equally valid and true. At its core, the PC mindset violates the Law of Non-Contradiction, which says no two things can be equally true, in the same sense and simultaneously.
Old 07-25-13, 06:49 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

and I'll add

*people who act like they're taking out a mortgage in the bank's drive through
This is another big one for me. The drive thru at the bank is to allow people to quickly and conveniently make a deposit or withdrawal. If you have a stack of transactions to make walk your fat ass inside, you're no longer there to conduct a quick transaction.

It drives me crazy when I'm parked behind someone and I see the little capsule coming back down the tube, I prepare to pull forward for my turn and then I see the fuckwad put the capsule back in the tube and send it back up.
Old 07-25-13, 08:12 PM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
One of my biggest peeves is the politically correct crowd's massive agenda. They use terms like "offensive" and "equality" to mask their real motive: turning America into a completely secularized nation of morally-bankrupt relativists. They don't want any religion - especially Christianity - having any influence over the government, in spite of there being no Constitutional prohibition. They hurl insults toward anyone who steadfastly disagrees with them, but cry foul when their opponents introduce evidence for the idiocy of their worldview. They've redefined "tolerance" in the public eye, turning it from a reluctant acceptance of what you don't like, to embracing everything (but religion) as equally valid and true. At its core, the PC mindset violates the Law of Non-Contradiction, which says no two things can be equally true, in the same sense and simultaneously.
My pet peeve is when people think they're against the very things they embrace.
Old 07-25-13, 08:35 PM   #105
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Okay, I'll give some really petty ones that probably bother only me:

Snacks that get shit all over your fingers. That's why I eat Cheese-Doodles with a fork.

Waitstaff that approach my wife & me and ask, "What can I get you guys?" My wife is not a guy. That's a teeny one, I would never bring it up to the offender.
I think such things have become such a general blanket statement people almost forget the meaning of what they are saying. Something they may even avoid if they noticed it more as it is true they are not guys and likely need a more general method of addressing a group of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Ran into one today - people who stop on escalators. Fuckin' hell, unless you're disabled, keep walking up the stairs, you lazy fat ass, or I will make you disabled!
Some people that have issues with heights may also need to stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
Motorcycles that park in regular car spaces when there is plenty of motorcycle parking.
Not there there is much of such parking here. You think, SPORT! and pull closer, BLAST! Either a SMALL car or motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
People writing checks period is one of mine. Who in this day and age has a checking account without a debit card? It drives me crazy standing in line behind people waiting forever for them to write a stupid check when they could have swiped their card and been done in seconds.
Mostly old people. Some act like a check with your bank number, address, phone number, name, routing number etc.. is more secure then a debit card. I don't get it.
Old 07-26-13, 02:27 AM   #106
Banned

Quote:
My pet others is when people think they're against the very things they embrace.
People who hate others and use the Bible as a false defense for their own hypocrisy are not true Christians. Jesus commanded His followers never to condemn individuals personally, but He also stood firm on the issue of absolute truth. People are free to believe whatever they want, but it doesn't make them right. God is the ultimate moral judge, but we who love Him are still called to describe sin for what it is...no more, no less.
Old 07-26-13, 03:51 AM   #107
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
absolute truth
Archeology is the search for fact- not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall.
Old 07-26-13, 04:40 AM   #108
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
People who hate others and use the Bible as a false defense for their own hypocrisy are not true Christians. Jesus commanded His followers never to condemn individuals personally, but He also stood firm on the issue of absolute truth. People are free to believe whatever they want, but it doesn't make them right. God is the ultimate moral judge, but we who love Him are still called to describe sin for what it is...no more, no less.
My pet peeve is people who believe in fairy tales.
Old 07-26-13, 05:41 AM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
We had some major freeway construction in my city recently and they had LED signs out telling people not to merge until the actual lane closure. That was nice, although only half the people actually did that. It's weird. It seems like the people who merge extremely early don't like merging, but when you do that, you end up merging five, six, seven times.
In NY people try to merge 5 miles back which makes the lines longer. In PA. they have signs saying use two lanes until merge point.

People who get up to the cashier at McDonalds or any other fast food establishment and act like they've never seen the menu before.

Some little bitch on the internet promises you sex if you bring a six-pack and when you show up, Chris Hansen from Dateline is there, talk about a buzzkill. Boy does that take some explaining.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 391 BR titles, 17 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 70 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 07-26-13, 07:19 AM   #110
DVD Talk Limited Edition

people who park in fire lanes

people who get up to the drive through in their shitty old cars and have to open their door because the windows wont roll down.
Old 07-26-13, 07:27 AM   #111
DVD Talk Special Edition

People who leave their cars running while hanging out in the street talking. I guess gas is cheap or something.
Old 07-26-13, 10:33 AM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

Another: Fundy Christians who (in their own mind) are never wrong
Old 07-26-13, 10:39 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
In NY people try to merge 5 miles back which makes the lines longer. In PA. they have signs saying use two lanes until merge point.
Awesome to actually see states provide guidance. A quick search provided this from Minnesota http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/:

What is a zipper merge?
When a lane is closed in a construction zone, a zipper merge occurs when motorists use both lanes of traffic until reaching the defined merge area, and then alternate in "zipper" fashion into the open lane.

Zipper merge vs. early merge
When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

So I'm supposed to merge late?
Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane. Don't worry about being "Minnesota nice." When traffic is heavy and slow, it is much safer for motorists to remain in their current lane until the point where traffic can orderly take turns merging.

When not to do the zipper merge
When traffic is moving at highway speeds and there are no backups, it makes sense to move sooner to the lane that will remain open through construction. The bottom line is to merge when it is safe to do so.
Old 07-26-13, 11:44 AM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

*people who act like they're taking out a mortgage in the bank's drive through
Along those lines I would like to add people who take forever at the ATM. The ones who obviously have no money in their account at all, yet they keep trying to withdraw from the ATM over and over like on the 5th try the machine is going to give them pity money or money will have magically appeared in their account all of a sudden.
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
225 days 16 hours 38 minutes
Old 07-26-13, 02:21 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After being away for a few days, I am happy to see my thread has exceeded 100 replies.
Old 07-26-13, 02:41 PM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
After being away for a few days, I am happy to see my thread has exceeded 100 replies.
Well there's a lot to bitch about
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 391 BR titles, 17 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 70 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 07-26-13, 02:42 PM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

People who claim to be "mixed-" or "bi-racial". Pick a side and shut the fuck up. You're not a Half-Elf; you're a Gelatinous Cube. Won't let me touch your dice, why I oughtta
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 07-26-13, 03:28 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
So, are all atheists child-haters, or just you?

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 07-26-13, 03:34 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
People who claim to be "mixed-" or "bi-racial". Pick a side and shut the fuck up. You're not a Half-Elf; you're a Gelatinous Cube. Won't let me touch your dice, why I oughtta
Old 07-26-13, 03:40 PM   #120
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
There's tons of evidence against the belief that Jesus' life and ministry were made up. For one, the first Greek translation of the Old Testament was penned around 250 B.C., and contains over 300 prophecies regarding the Jewish Messiah. The 53rd chapter of Isaiah's book contains many references, and Jesus fulfilled them all. The oldest surviving copies we currently have are from 90 - 110 A.D., which is less than two generations after the Crucifixion. They're also-third-generation, which means the originals were probably written within a decade of those events.

Also, there's no historical incentive for anyone involved with Jesus' ministry to lie about it. Jews of that day saw Him as a heretic, and the Romans worshiped Caesar as divine. In their eyes, he was an insurrectionist. Anyone who followed him would've been subjected to exile, imprisonment, starvation, and execution; people very rarely allow themselves to be murdered over something they know isn't true.
Old 07-26-13, 03:47 PM   #121
Banned

Quote:
Another: Fundy Christians who (in their own mind) are never wrong
It's not about what's in our minds; all people are fallible. We rely on both history and a small amount of faith, but the latter doesn't mean we're blind. We just have a different perspective on various forms of evidence.
Old 07-26-13, 03:56 PM   #122
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Isn't it somewhat difficult to take a bite of anything with your mouth closed???
Precisely!

Quote:
Ran into one today - people who stop on escalators. Unless you're disabled, keep walking up the stairs, you lazy fat ass, or I will make you disabled!
The whole point of an escalator is so people don't have to walk up the stairs. If you're in that much of a hurry, take the actual stairs yourself.
Old 07-26-13, 04:06 PM   #123
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

The whole point of an escalator is so people don't have to walk up the stairs. If you're in that much of a hurry, take the actual stairs yourself.
No, the point is to get up them quicker than normal stairs. And if there's an escalator around, there's never stairs around, though it's likely that there will be an elevator, so I suggest lazy ass people who don't like to move take the elevator instead. Lazy asses!
Old 07-26-13, 04:24 PM   #124
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
No, the point is to get up them quicker than normal stairs.
No, it's really not.

Do you really think they put in escalators just so that people can get to the next level 1.5 seconds faster than if they had stairs? Besides that, it's a safety issue.

On a releated pet peeve, I normally take stairs instead of an elevator at work. And most people seem to go into a little jog when going up or down the stairs, especially down. So I have to move out of their way. Why is that? They don't continue running once they hit the ground floor.
Old 07-26-13, 05:35 PM   #125
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw another of my stupid petty ones in a thread here today. It's jibe, not jive. It doesn't jibe with me, not it doesn't jive with me.

As far as escalators, sometimes I walk, sometimes I don't. If I don't, I stand to the right and leave room to pass. On the somewhat similar moving walkways at airports (which I love, btw, because when you walk on them you feel like you are going really fast) that's what it tells you to do, so I do get pretty peeved when people are blocking those, and usually ask them to move. On an escalator, I usually suck it up when they block it.