DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hide Wikipost
Old 05-17-16, 11:54 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Pet Peeves?
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: whotony
This thread not having a Wiki was a peeve.... but that's since been fixed.

(reserved for list of peeves)

OH, SHIT. I can edit this shit?

-Solid Mothefuckin' Snake in a goddamn boot.

You don't smoke weed? - kvrdave

Very informative Wikipost, thanks.

Print Wikipost

Old 07-24-13, 10:34 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pet Peeves?

And lol at all of that white people problems in this thread.
Old 07-24-13, 10:35 AM   #52
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Motorcycles that park in regular car spaces when there is plenty of motorcycle parking.
Old 07-24-13, 10:41 AM   #53
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of these "pet peeves" are actually things you're getting legitimately pissed off about because someone is being shitty. Getting pissed at someone for taking too long at a counter, or slowing down in their car because they're texting are not pet peeves, because everyone gets pissed off that that.

A pet peeve would be something specific to you, that not many other people would get as pissed off about.
Old 07-24-13, 11:02 AM   #54
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Belgians.

Future Dwight

"Why don't you give me Ape Tit for two hundred." - Turd Ferguson
Old 07-24-13, 11:03 AM   #55

Waffle making motherfuckers.
Old 07-24-13, 11:05 AM   #56
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Senor Wences impersonators
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I have never seen this, but if I did I'd probably rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
I can't tell if you're agreeing, or just doing a lousy Senor Wences impersonation.

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 07-24-13, 11:23 AM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Lousy gas stations.

Gas stations should keep up on maintaining their equipment. I hate it when I walk up to put my card in, and the keypad doesn't work. Or the screen is unreadable. Or I do all that, and then the gas is out (and they didn't put a bag over the nozzle yet).
On that note, gas stations that are habitually too lazy to keep paper in the receipt printers on the pumps.
Old 07-24-13, 11:29 AM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

My latest pet peeve is buy one get one free sales being referred to as BOGO. Makes no sense. EVERY time I buy one I am getting one.
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
41 days 9 hours 43 minutes
Old 07-24-13, 11:34 AM   #59

It's actually B0G0 and it stands for "Buy Zero, Get Zero". Hopefully that makes more sense.
Old 07-24-13, 11:39 AM   #60
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
I can't tell if you're agreeing, or just doing a lousy Senor Wences impersonation.
Both, since I could not find a good Senor Wences smiley.
Old 07-24-13, 12:11 PM   #61
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I am an aggressive pedestrian and am very happy to fuck with these people. I will also deliberately walk slow in front of people who have "blocked the box" at an intersection and are now stuck with their ass hanging into the intersection. I never let those people move first before I use a crosswalk. I know it probably punishes the drivers trying to cross the intersection on green more than the asshole who blocked the box, but I still feel compelled to make a point and make them sit there longer.
^This mindset is actually a pet peeve of mine.

People who view themselves as etiquette (driving or otherwise) police and do shit like slap cars that block the intersection, stop their car to curse at pedestrians who cross against the light, etc

Maybe it is more pronounced b/c I live in NY, but people need to accept that they are living in a large metropolitan area. This shit happens. Some times people don't pay attention and stop short at a stop sign (block the box), a pedestrian tries to beat the crossing light and it may cause you to have to wait a millisecond longer to go at green, etc.

People that take it upon themselves to "punish" such behavior, 1) always come off as the asshole in the situation, 2) never anticipate/expect/care about the externalities of their actions beyond their own petty victory of "making a stand," and 3) have way too little going on in their lives that such simple parts of life bother them that much.

For example, I was driving in slow moving traffic one day and I turned off an expressway into the multilane street it exited on to. The far right lane ends, so cars need to merge to the left. It was rush hour and generally people just let one car in then go (a normal merge). Except, this time I had some nutjob to my left who refused to let me in and made it a game that easily could have caused an accident. She would speed up and stop, and was just a total jack ass about the merge. I would have been in the "right" to let her have it. But, she has her young son in the car. Most people wouldn't give a shit. If she blocked the crosswalk, they'd smack her car, etc. But, what about that kid? Yeah, his mother was acting like a bitch, but there is no reason a 6 year old should have to hear his mom be called a ****, deserved or not, it'd do more damage to him than the woman I was actually annoyed with.
Old 07-24-13, 12:12 PM   #62

Old 07-24-13, 12:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Both, since I could not find a good Senor Wences smiley.
S'awriiight!

Old 07-24-13, 12:22 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
For example, I was driving in slow moving traffic one day and I turned off an expressway into the multilane street it exited on to. The far right lane ends, so cars need to merge to the left. It was rush hour and generally people just let one car in then go (a normal merge). Except, this time I had some nutjob to my left who refused to let me in and made it a game that easily could have caused an accident. She would speed up and stop, and was just a total jack ass about the merge. I would have been in the "right" to let her have it. But, she has her young son in the car. Most people wouldn't give a shit. If she blocked the crosswalk, they'd smack her car, etc. But, what about that kid? Yeah, his mother was acting like a bitch, but there is no reason a 6 year old should have to hear his mom be called a ****, deserved or not, it'd do more damage to him than the woman I was actually annoyed with.
By quoting "right", I'm taking that as an indication that you know you really would have been wrong (no quotes), yes?

Old 07-24-13, 12:26 PM   #65

As far as driving goes, there are two that come to mind...

1) The douchebags who view a "Left Lane Closed in 1/2 mile, Merge Right" sign as a personal invitation to use the empty left lane to advance as far as possible before cutting over to the right, and

2) Assholes who have a sizable gap between them and the car in front of them (like 5-6 car lengths), see me turn on my turn signal to make a safe lane change, and floor it to close the gap so that I can't get in.

Old 07-24-13, 12:31 PM   #66
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
By quoting "right", I'm taking that as an indication that you know you really would have been wrong (no quotes), yes?
Yes, that is correct. The quotes were meant to indicate that the type of people I'm discussing in the post likely would have viewed such action as right, but I do not.

Quote:
As far as driving goes, there are two that come to mind...

1) The douchebags who view a "Left Lane Closed in 1/2 mile, Merge Right" sign as a personal invitation to use the empty left lane to advance as far as possible before cutting over to the right
That's funny, I've had this argument with coworkers when I worked in the midwest. It is called the zipper merge method and is more efficient in high traffic areas than forming a single lane prematurely. If you treat both lanes as open, which they are, until one closes, you delay the merge point so that the delay does not get stretched back further in the one lane in an inefficient manner. The method also takes into account that there will always be people who obey zipper merge when the majority does not, with everyone observing the zipper merge method, the traffic delays caused by that event are minimized as well.

The only reason the zipper merge method is not universally adopted IMO is b/c people apparently suck at merging and will do whatever they can not to. A closed lane is nothing more than an unexpected merge point like an entrance ramp lane. The signs are there simply to alert people that it is approaching b/c unlike the entrance ramp lane, it is otherwise a lane that continues. Those signs are not commands to move over (may vary by state), they are alerts to adjust your speed accordingly while traveling in the closing lane.

Last edited by BambooLounge; 07-24-13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-24-13, 12:39 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
^This mindset is actually a pet peeve of mine.
I give nary a fuck. It's not like I just suddenly appear out of thin air at these intersections and make snap judgments about what happened and assume the driver is an asshole. I am walking towards the intersection when the assholery actually happens and it is obvious that the driver is either being a prick or is just oblivious/inconsiderate. If some car is stuck in the box because he/she stopped for a jaywalker, that's beyond their control.

Pedestrians are also quite capable of being assholes, as are bicyclists (who are also quite bad about stopping on crosswalks) who think that traffic laws and etiquette do not apply to them.

Quote:
Some times people don't pay attention...
You don't get to sometimes not pay attention when you are operating a several thousand pound hunk of metal around pedestrians. I watched a bicyclist struck by a car and put in the hospital just about two weeks ago by some ditz who wasn't paying attention on a busy DC street.
Old 07-24-13, 12:41 PM   #68
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I give nary a fuck. It's not like I just suddenly appear out of thin air at these intersections and make snap judgments about what happened and assume the driver is an asshole. I am walking towards the intersection when the assholery actually happens and it is obvious that the driver is either being a prick or is just oblivious/inconsiderate. If some car is stuck in the box because he/she stopped for a jaywalker, that's beyond their control.

Pedestrians are also quite capable of being assholes, as are bicyclists (who are also quite bad about stopping on crosswalks) who think that traffic laws and etiquette do not apply to them.

You don't get to sometimes not pay attention when you are operating a several thousand pound hunk of metal around pedestrians. I watched a bicyclist struck by a car and put in the hospital just about two weeks ago by some ditz who wasn't paying attention on a busy DC street.
Yeah, that's how pet peeves work. They wouldn't be pet if we all gave a fuck about them.
Old 07-24-13, 01:36 PM   #69

Quote:
That's funny, I've had this argument with coworkers when I worked in the midwest. It is called the zipper merge method and is more efficient in high traffic areas than forming a single lane prematurely. If you treat both lanes as open, which they are, until one closes, you delay the merge point so that the delay does not get stretched back further in the one lane in an inefficient manner. The method also takes into account that there will always be people who obey zipper merge when the majority does not, with everyone observing the zipper merge method, the traffic delays caused by that event are minimized as well.

The only reason the zipper merge method is not universally adopted IMO is b/c people apparently suck at merging and will do whatever they can not to. A closed lane is nothing more than an unexpected merge point like an entrance ramp lane. The signs are there simply to alert people that it is approaching b/c unlike the entrance ramp lane, it is otherwise a lane that continues. Those signs are not commands to move over (may vary by state), they are alerts to adjust your speed accordingly while traveling in the closing lane.
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the zipper merge method by any means. the only problem is that it relies on everyone following the same rules, and that same group of people that zip along in the empty lane in my initial example would be, IMO, more likely to ignore any sort of informal alternating scheme in the zipper merge scenario. In fact, if voluntary compliance is stipulated as a given for the sake of this discussion, I content that either method will work equally well, as long as the alternating merge is done consistently at the same point for all vehicles (either at the "Merge Ahead" sign, or at the point of the lane closure).

The zipper method might be more likely to work if both lanes merged into a single "new" lane, rather than having one lane end with another continuing. I can easily see assholes in the continuing lane feeling a sense of ownership and refusing to "honor" the alternating merge scheme.

And don't get me wrong, I don't care what point it is at after the merge warning, if someone turns on their turn signal and wants in, I'll let them in. its the jerks who come zipping up and go as far as they can go and THEN look for a gap of 1.01 car lengths so that they can cut over with no warning, I have no tolerance for them.

Also hate people who refuse to use turn signals. NOT people who forget to use them (which we all do), but people like my Dad, who flat out refuse, saying that no one needs to know when they're turning.

Old 07-24-13, 02:25 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
And lol at all of that white people problems in this thread.
To be fair, not being able to afford food to feed my family or having to walk 9 miles to get clean water aren't exactly "pet peeves".
Old 07-24-13, 02:43 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Douchebag bicyclists are bad enough, but even worse are the mouth-breathers driving in cars behind them who absolutely refuse to pass them, no matter how slow the aforementioned douchebag bicyclists are riding.
Old 07-24-13, 02:45 PM   #72
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Also hate people who refuse to use turn signals. NOT people who forget to use them (which we all do), but people like my Dad, who flat out refuse, saying that no one needs to know when they're turning.
I'm with you on this. I mean, I use them compulsively. Doesn't matter if I'm the only car, I just compulsively hit the indicator before I shift the wheel to switch lanes. In MI, it was nuts. No one used them either on the highway or to make turns in residential neighborhoods. You just had to know what they were doing based on their acceleration/deceleration patterns. Madness!
Old 07-24-13, 02:57 PM   #73
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Douchebag bicyclists are bad enough, but even worse are the mouth-breathers driving in cars behind them who absolutely refuse to pass them, no matter how slow the aforementioned douchebag bicyclists are riding.
As a cyclist (though hopefully not of the douchebag variety) I also hate this, but for different reasons. When I know there's a car behind me, and I know there's plenty of room for him to pass me and he's not, just slowly, tentatively, shadows me, it's kind of unnerving.

Future Dwight

"Why don't you give me Ape Tit for two hundred." - Turd Ferguson
Old 07-24-13, 03:21 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

People having more items than the limit in the grocery aisles (10-20 items maxed). Or people waiting till the Clerk rings up the entire order to start filling out their checks.
Old 07-24-13, 03:27 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
People having more items than the limit in the grocery aisles (10-20 items maxed). Or people waiting till the Clerk rings up the entire order to start filling out their checks.
People writing checks period is one of mine. Who in this day and age has a checking account without a debit card? It drives me crazy standing in line behind people waiting forever for them to write a stupid check when they could have swiped their card and been done in seconds.
3DS Friend Code:1178-1287-2020

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
41 days 9 hours 43 minutes