DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hide Wikipost
Old 05-17-16, 11:54 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Pet Peeves?
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: whotony
This thread not having a Wiki was a peeve.... but that's since been fixed.

(reserved for list of peeves)

OH, SHIT. I can edit this shit?

-Solid Mothefuckin' Snake in a goddamn boot.

You don't smoke weed? - kvrdave

Very informative Wikipost, thanks.

Print Wikipost

Old 07-24-13, 08:11 AM   #26
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Pet Peeves?

Mine are mostly driving related since there are a lot of asshole drivers here:

People that pull up to the light into the crosswalk forcing me to go around their vehicle

People that start to make their turn into the intersection before I am done crossing the street. What if I tripped and fell, you dumbass? Then you would run over me and have a really shitty day.

People who honk at me because I don't immediately turn right on red. Screw you, I don't like having to constantly look to see if the coast is clear so I can save 10 freaking seconds.
Old 07-24-13, 09:02 AM   #27
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sort of related. I hate when people honk if I don't start moving within a second of the light turning green.
Old 07-24-13, 09:10 AM   #28

People who idle at the intersection when the light is green.
Old 07-24-13, 09:21 AM   #29

Being stuck behind someone on the freeway in rush hour traffic who keeps a distance of 5 plus car lengths behind the car in front of them. I know we are all stuck, or inching along the highway, but it still bugs me.
Old 07-24-13, 09:24 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

People who don't know how a 4-way stop works - which is apparently EVERYBODY in Indiana

People who cruise in the left lane because they're going to turn 12 miles from now.

People who stop in an on-ramp acceleration lane, or who drive along the shoulder of the road because they don't know how to merge.

People at a traffic light who refuse to enter the intersection while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so they can turn left. Double hate for those who don't turn left on green because they don't have an arrow. And for some reason, it seems like all of these folks are from Virginia.
Old 07-24-13, 09:27 AM   #31
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Sort of related. I hate when people honk if I don't start moving within a second of the light turning green.
They wait a full second before honking? Count yourself lucky!
Old 07-24-13, 09:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
And for some reason, it seems like all of these folks are from Virginia.
And texting or talking on the cell.
Old 07-24-13, 09:31 AM   #33
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People who think that because everyone has a smart phone now, emails are essentially texts.

This includes typing in emails like you're writing a text (I don't do this), but also sending an email and expecting a near immediate reply of some kind (I do this and get annoyed with myself for it).
Old 07-24-13, 09:31 AM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
maybe there are people who dont like waiting behind people getting coffee.
Someone who pumped their own coffee and is just waiting in line to be rung like everyone else bothers people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
People who honk at me because I don't immediately turn right on red. Screw you, I don't like having to constantly look to see if the coast is clear so I can save 10 freaking seconds.
This happens to me at least once a week. They installed a camera at this intersection by my job which is right by a highway offramp, and I make sure to stop and wait a full 3 seconds before attempting to turn if the light is red. Some woman the size of a house was in a huff a couple of months ago laying on the horn at 5:30am and yelling and cursing out her window because I didn't just run the light to turn. Of course, she was in a rush to get in line at the McDonald's on the corner.

Last edited by My Other Self; 07-24-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-24-13, 09:31 AM   #35
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Continuing the driving related ones.

On a 2 lane road, people that move from the left lane to the right one at a stop light just so they are first in line. Gee.. thanks for blocking my attempt to turn right on the red light so that I now have to wait until it turns green :asshat:

On the freeway, when the right lane is used to exit to surface streets or another freeway and it backs up. People that stop in the lane to the left of that until they can merge into the backed up lane. Just wait your turn at the end of the line. You are no more important than all those other people that are already waiting.

On a two-lane road where the right lane must turn at the intersection, but continues for 200 feet past because the lane ends. People will go straight through in that lane screwing anyone trying to turn right on the red light.

People that pace me. Had this happen yesterday on the freeway on the way home. Guy was to my left pacing me and I wanted to get in the left lane since the car in front of me was going slower. So, I start to slow down so the car to the left of me gets further ahead and then I can move lanes to be behind him. Except that he slows down too. So, I try to speed up to get in front of him. And he now speeds up to block that attempt.

People that, when you honk at them because they did something to almost hit you or cause an accident, smile and wave like they are saying "oh well.. deal with it" Had a car last night just pull out in front of me causing me to have to slam on my breaks and swerve to avoid hittiing them. You don't pull out from a sidestreet onto a main street without stopping and making sure you are clear.

Some of the other ones mentioned are pet peeves of mine. Cig butts being flicked out windows. Especially when still burning and they hit my car. Almost had one get in my car because I had my window down and it was windy.

People that use annoying corporate catch phrases, like "It is what it is." Or, since I work in the IT field "let's take this discussion offline."

I'm sure I have others, but those are probably the bigger ones.
Old 07-24-13, 09:36 AM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

DC Beltway drivers who leapfrog slower traffic whenever an on-ramp appears.
Old 07-24-13, 09:37 AM   #37

Emoji
Old 07-24-13, 09:43 AM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

Size "large" clothing that isn't.
Old 07-24-13, 09:46 AM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
People that pull up to the light into the crosswalk forcing me to go around their vehicle
I am an aggressive pedestrian and am very happy to fuck with these people. I will also deliberately walk slow in front of people who have "blocked the box" at an intersection and are now stuck with their ass hanging into the intersection. I never let those people move first before I use a crosswalk. I know it probably punishes the drivers trying to cross the intersection on green more than the asshole who blocked the box, but I still feel compelled to make a point and make them sit there longer.
Old 07-24-13, 09:47 AM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, here's a new one for me - drivers who have NO IDEA what to do at a traffic circle or roundabout! This thingamajig is mean to prevent unnecessary stop and keep the traffic moving. Drivers who come to an unnecessary full stop before entering, or worse still, who will yield or stop while IN the roundabout to accomodate entering traffic are all defeating the entire purpose of the roundabout.

Traffic in the circle always has priority, all other traffic merges into gaps as the occur. Simple.
Old 07-24-13, 09:48 AM   #41
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Senor Wences impersonators
Old 07-24-13, 09:51 AM   #42
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my biggest pet peeves is women in line in front of you at the grocery store. They stand there idly as the groceries are rung up, bagged, and placed in the cart. Then & only then do they begin fishing around in their suitcase/purse for a payment method. Why? Are they surprised they have to pay?
Old 07-24-13, 09:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I will also deliberately walk slow in front of people who have "blocked the box" at an intersection and are now stuck with their ass hanging into the intersection. I never let those people move first before I use a crosswalk.
This is another one of my pet peeves. Leisurely strolls aren't meant for crosswalks.
Old 07-24-13, 10:02 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

The person who waits 5 minutes or more in line for Starbucks, finally get to the front of the counter, and ONLY then do they pick up their cell phone to call the office to find out what everybody wants.

People who don't pull up into the intersection when they're turning left on a green light without a leading arrow.

This one takes some explanation, so bear with me: someone who is turning right out of a driveway or parking lot or whatever onto a major street, except that there is an intersection fairly close, and they need to get in the far left lane so they can do a U-Turn. They have enough space and lack of ongoing traffic to make an immediate right turn, but they CAN'T do an immediate right turn and cross two or three lanes to get to the left turn lane. So they wait. And wait. And WAIT. Meanwhile, people behind them are trying to turn right and exit on their way. This fucknut can't just turn right and do a U-Turn further up the road. NOPE, they're gonna make everyone wait behind them, no longer how long it takes. I am gonna find these people and pee in all of their Ovaltine. Worse than Pol Pot.
Old 07-24-13, 10:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The person who waits 5 minutes or more in line for Starbucks, finally get to the front of the counter, and ONLY then do they pick up their cell phone to call the office to find out what everybody wants.
I have never seen this, but if I did I'd probably rage.
Old 07-24-13, 10:16 AM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

#1 peeve is people who get in my way.

Local peeve. The Staten Island newspaper is the Staten Island Advance, but so many people here pronounce it as AD-vance. That's not even a word.
Old 07-24-13, 10:17 AM   #47
DVD Talk Hero

Leaving an empty shopping cart in the middle of a perfectly good parking spot.

The weird pet peeve that sets me off, one that doesn't really affect me, but still angers me, is when car passengers put their feet up on the dashboard, or out of the window. I hope these people die.
Old 07-24-13, 10:25 AM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Lousy gas stations.

Gas stations should keep up on maintaining their equipment. I hate it when I walk up to put my card in, and the keypad doesn't work. Or the screen is unreadable. Or I do all that, and then the gas is out (and they didn't put a bag over the nozzle yet).

Same goes for the inside. You are a convenience store. Your soda fountain can't be down all the time. Or you can't be out of stock on simple stuff. In addition to soda fountains being down, you have to keep them clean and calibrated, or the soda tastes funny.

We have some horrible gas stations around here. There's only a few that I go to, because I know that when I go in, everything will be satisfactory.

For the gas station nearest to my house... I pass three gas stations on my way to the one that is nice.
Old 07-24-13, 10:27 AM   #49

Regarding gas stations...the ones right by a freeway entrance with a sign "Restrooms for customers only".
Old 07-24-13, 10:33 AM   #50
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Senor Wences impersonators
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I have never seen this, but if I did I'd probably rage.