DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hide Wikipost
Old 05-17-16, 11:54 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Pet Peeves?
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: whotony
This thread not having a Wiki was a peeve.... but that's since been fixed.

(reserved for list of peeves)

OH, SHIT. I can edit this shit?

-Solid Mothefuckin' Snake in a goddamn boot.

You don't smoke weed? - kvrdave

Very informative Wikipost, thanks.

Print Wikipost

Old 09-29-16, 06:19 PM   #351
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Pet Peeves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post

Hmmm, time to design a skateboard launcher to mount in the turret.
I might be able to find some startup capital if you want to take this national.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1299 days 19 hours 1 minutes
Old 09-29-16, 09:05 PM   #352
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
People assuming I'm talking about them.
Getting scolded by women I don't know.

Wait, pet peeve for fetish?
Old 09-30-16, 02:58 PM   #353
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Hmmm, time to design a skateboard launcher to mount in the turret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
I might be able to find some startup capital if you want to take this national.
Mechanically, a variation of the good ol' baseball pitching machine.

Workshop time.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 01-14-17, 07:47 PM   #354
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty sure I've mentioned it before but cashiers not being able to make change when you give them coins with a bill. Say your total is $3.10 and you give them $5.10 so you can avoid getting change back. Which is even more baffling since the registers do the math.

So along the same lines I ran across a new one at Taco Bell the other night. The girl gave me the total, $13.50 or something, I handed her a $20 bill and told her I had the $.50 and proceeded to hunt through my pocket for it. While I'm looking for the change the girl says "no thanks, I'll just give you change." and hands it to me. I was dumbfounded and had no response.

Lesson learned I guess. Now I hunt for the change first.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 01-15-17, 08:32 AM   #355
DVD Talk Legend

I get annoyed when someone gets mad at me for being mad at them for doing something annoying.
Old 01-15-17, 10:33 AM   #356
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So along the same lines I ran across a new one at Taco Bell the other night. The girl gave me the total, $13.50 or something, I handed her a $20 bill and told her I had the $.50 and proceeded to hunt through my pocket for it. While I'm looking for the change the girl says "no thanks, I'll just give you change." and hands it to me. I was dumbfounded and had no response.

Lesson learned I guess. Now I hunt for the change first.
If there were customers behind you, I don't blame her. I've waited behind people as they search pockets and purses only to not find the change they thought they had. I'm sure she sees it constantly. Always have the change ready without going searching.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 01-15-17, 10:55 AM   #357
DVD Talk Legend

Brings me to one of my pet peeves. People who wait until they receive the total from the cashier before they dig into their pocket or purse to get the money or card. Woman are greater offenders than men. If you are paying by card, no reason not to have it out. If you are paying cash, you must have some idea how much it is. At least have your freaking wallet out.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 271 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 388 BR titles, 11 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-15-17, 11:40 AM   #358
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

^ It's like they think their meal has a chance of being free, and are surprised to need money.

One of my pet peeves is when people take up an entire hallway as they walk (usually slowly). The hospital has some super wide hallways, big enough for 5 or more people easily, but couples will walk down the exact middle, with a space between them, making it impossible to pass without saying something or brushing against them.

Or the people who walk along one extreme side like they're supposed to, but choose the wrong side. I never move for those (English?) people.
Old 01-15-17, 12:04 PM   #359
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Brings me to one of my pet peeves. People who wait until they receive the total from the cashier before they dig into their pocket or purse to get the money or card. Woman are greater offenders than men. If you are paying by card, no reason not to have it out. If you are paying cash, you must have some idea how much it is. At least have your freaking wallet out.
Ultra-offenders (though rare these days): the people who then pull out a checkbook. You knew you were writing a check, and you didn't even have the checkbook out? Let alone the payee, date, signature (not like those weren't known or not needed).

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 01-15-17, 12:09 PM   #360
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
One of my pet peeves is when people take up an entire hallway as they walk (usually slowly). The hospital has some super wide hallways, big enough for 5 or more people easily, but couples will walk down the exact middle, with a space between them, making it impossible to pass without saying something or brushing against them.

Or the people who walk along one extreme side like they're supposed to, but choose the wrong side. I never move for those (English?) people.
I walk across downtown Denver every workday at 5pm. I have a lot of pet peeves about the way people walk. Those groups (usually tourists, but not always) who take up the whole sidewalk, those who walk with no awareness, like walking into the middle of the sidewalk and stopping without looking around, etc. Good lord every day is a fucking obstacle course.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 01-15-17, 12:41 PM   #361
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Ultra-offenders (though rare these days): the people who then pull out a checkbook. You knew you were writing a check, and you didn't even have the checkbook out? Let alone the payee, date, signature (not like those weren't known or not needed).
Was behind one in a grocery store this week. This lady had probably 5 minutes while the cashier was ringing her up. It was only after getting a total does she reach into her purse and pull out her checkbook and start writing. I know it's only a minute but really. Everything could have been filled out just waiting for the total.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 271 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 388 BR titles, 11 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-15-17, 03:54 PM   #362

When I tell someone something and their response is "Really?", as if they think I'm lying.
Old 01-15-17, 04:57 PM   #363
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
If there were customers behind you, I don't blame her. I've waited behind people as they search pockets and purses only to not find the change they thought they had. I'm sure she sees it constantly. Always have the change ready without going searching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Brings me to one of my pet peeves. People who wait until they receive the total from the cashier before they dig into their pocket or purse to get the money or card.
1. Not a single person in line but me.
2. I don't usually have change, but did that day so when it was low enough I went digging. I had the bill ready to go.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 01-15-17, 06:41 PM   #364
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
When I tell someone something and their response is "Really?", as if they think I'm lying.
A thousand times 'this'.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1299 days 19 hours 1 minutes
Old 01-15-17, 07:05 PM   #365
DVD Talk Legend

An actual pet peeve ... the sound of my dog licking and slurping himself.
Old 01-15-17, 08:21 PM   #366
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Never thought about it before, but it does come off as kind of dickish.

Though I'm sure no offense is meant, and it's just a canned response that has become part of the vernacular.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-16-17, 09:55 AM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Never thought about it before, but it does come off as kind of dickish.

Though I'm sure no offense is meant, and it's just a canned response that has become part of the vernacular.
My wife does it all the time. I know she doesn't mean anything by it, but it still annoys the heck out of me.
Old 01-16-17, 10:05 AM   #368
DVD Talk Godfather

This might have been mentioned before, but people who don't have a concept of space while waiting in line for something. It happened a lot when I was in Europe waiting in line for various tours and landmarks, but I never understood why people get right up behind you and even bump in to you in a line that obviously isn't going anywhere.

I guess it's not too different from cars that come to a complete stop at a light or something, then decide to inch up closer.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-16-17, 10:34 AM   #369
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
An actual pet peeve ... the sound of my dog licking and slurping himself.
I realized why this is suddenly a problem after 6+ years. I haven't been using the A/C. Normally there's enough ambient noise (AC, fan) to drown it out. I also haven't been using my headphones much. Now I have to listen to it and it's driving me nuts.
Old 03-20-17, 08:18 PM   #370
DVD Talk God

This one has been a reoccurring one in my life. I am home nearly all the time, so I am Mr. Mom. I am always home before her, so make dinner and it is ready when my wife comes home. On her way home she talks to people on the phone. She has this habit of continuing the conversation on when she gets inside, delaying dinner. Well if it we're just me, I would be like whatever, but we have two kids who are hungry and want to eat. I have had conversations with her about ending the call before she gets home so she can come in and have dinner together as a family. That usually fixes the problem for a month or two but it goes right back. I just yelled at her tonight, while she was on the phone with whoever she was taking to, telling her to hang up. Anyone else have a spouse who does this? It is fucking infuriating. I am not trying to be petty but I am just considering eating with kids before she gets home a few times just to show her how fucking obnoxious her behavior is.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 03-20-17, 08:29 PM   #371
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
This one has been a reoccurring one in my life. I am home nearly all the time, so I am Mr. Mom. I am always home before her, so make dinner and it is ready when my wife comes home. On her way home she talks to people on the phone. She has this habit of continuing the conversation on when she gets inside, delaying dinner. Well if it we're just me, I would be like whatever, but we have two kids who are hungry and want to eat. I have had conversations with her about ending the call before she gets home so she can come in and have dinner together as a family. That usually fixes the problem for a month or two but it goes right back. I just yelled at her tonight, while she was on the phone with whoever she was taking to, telling her to hang up. Anyone else have a spouse who does this? It is fucking infuriating. I am not trying to be petty but I am just considering eating with kids before she gets home a few times just to show her how fucking obnoxious her behavior is.
My wife does the same thing. Usually she's not expecting dinner to be ready when she walks in the door so I can sort of understand her not hanging up before getting home but occasionally it is and she still takes her time getting off the phone. Usually if I start the kids and myself eating on our own while she's still on the phone she gets the message. Doesn't stop her from the next time she does it though.

Not really a pet peeve for me but definitely annoying at times.
Old 03-21-17, 10:01 AM   #372
DVD Talk Legend

Why do people get off the escalator and just stand there?
Old 03-21-17, 10:19 AM   #373
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
You are not alone. Men treated unfairly unite!

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 03-21-17, 10:33 AM   #374
DVD Talk Godfather

Can you just passive agressively start dinner without her and maybe she'll get the hint?

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 03-21-17, 10:57 AM   #375
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Just remember these rules:

1.) Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for her return. This is a way of letting her know that you have been thinking about her and are concerned about her needs.

2.) Most women are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially her favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

3.) Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so youíll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. She has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

4.) Be a little gay and a little more interesting for her. Her boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

5.) Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your wife arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

6.) Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for her to unwind by. Your wife will feel she has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for her comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7.) Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the childrenís hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes.

8.) Children are little treasures and she would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of her arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

9.) Be happy to see her. Free her with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please her. Listen to her.

10.) You may have a dozen important things to tell her, but the moment of her arrival is not the time. Let her talk first ó remember, her topics of conversation are more important than yours.

11.) Make the evening her. Never complain if she comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand her world of strain and pressure and her very real need to be at home and relax.

12.) Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where you wife can renew herself in body and spirit.

13.) Donít greet her with complaints and problems.

14.) Donít complain if sheís late home for dinner or even if she stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what she might have gone through that day.

15.) Make her comfortable. Have her lean back in a comfortable chair or have her lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for her.

16.) Arrange her pillow and offer to take off her shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

17.) Donít ask her questions about her actions or question her judgment of integrity. Remember, she is the master of the house and as such will always exercise her will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question her.

18.) A good husband always knows his place.

19.) If she is talking on the phone, when she arrives, wait to have dinner with her. It's probably very important, but too difficult for you to understand.