DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-23-13, 07:07 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Tesla and other Electric Cars Talk

The July 2013 issue of Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the magazine's history:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm
Old 05-23-13, 07:09 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

Yeah, and they paid back almost half a billion dollars in government loans today. EARLY.
Old 05-23-13, 07:16 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

That's amazing. Link doesn't have the full article. Of course customer satisfaction can't be taken into account yet since the cars are all new. I'm warry of fancy gizmos like self opening doors and high tech touchscreens. They often prove unreliable and are expensive to fix. Also, some drivers actually prefer things to be more analog (or at least feel analog since most everything is computer initiated in a modern car). I like chronomoters, knobs, buttons, and switches. It makes me feel like I've having a more "real" driving experience. Digital speedometers suck.
Old 05-23-13, 07:21 PM   #4
DVD Talk God

So it isn't the highest rating until more than a month in the future. They are good.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 05-23-13, 08:24 PM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course it's their most highly rated car... They don't have to pay the power bill, fix the exotic 'bells and whistles', like self-opening doors (not if, but *when* they fail), or pay the $100k for the car itself. What's not to like in that free lunch?
Old 05-23-13, 08:26 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Consumer Reports =

I stopped listening to their stupid asses when they gave my CD Changer one of the lowest ratings ever because it broke down, over-priced, etc. Well, 15 years later...it still works like it did on day one.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-23-13, 08:30 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Of course it's their most highly rated car... They don't have to ... pay the $100k for the car itself. What's not to like in that free lunch?
I believe consumer reports buys all the cars they test. They do not take freebies, nor do they take any advertising money.
Old 05-23-13, 08:36 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Great. I love everything that Elon Musk and Co is doing. I wish them the best and hope the Tesla is here to stay.

If I had the disposable cash to make $1500 payments, I'd buy one. But I don't. Here's to hoping the Model X is priced around $50k. Or I start making more money.
Old 05-23-13, 08:38 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk View Post
I believe consumer reports buys all the cars they test. They do not take freebies, nor do they take any advertising money.
So, let's start bringing out other cars that cost $100K and compare their features and so forth. I'm sure the Tesla will win hands down.

Old 05-23-13, 09:03 PM   #10
X
Administrator

I almost trust Consumer Reports about vacuum cleaners and dishwashers. Almost. They have no clue about anything more technical than that.
Old 05-23-13, 09:23 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Consumer's Reports filled a critical function in the 50s and 60s when there was a good chance that your new home appliance would be awful. Now, pretty much every home appliance is good, and they have to rate them on features.

The only thing I use them for is repair histories of cars.
Old 05-23-13, 09:27 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Elon Musk is an innovator. I'm gonna see how much Tesla is trading for.
Old 05-23-13, 09:36 PM   #13
Time Lord

Quote:
Yep. They have a fleet and do follow-up articles about maintenance, upkeep, longevity, etc.

That doesn't mean I trust them for everything, but they don't just test drive a car for free and write it up.

Also, seriously grundle, you could have dropped "the" and been able to spell out all of "magazine".
Old 05-23-13, 11:22 PM   #14
DVD Talk God

I trust them more than any other review, in general. Motortrend is hot rod centric (which is fine if that is all you look for in a review), and most other specialty places are the same. As a general place to start, I like Consumer Reports.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 05-23-13, 11:41 PM   #15
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Model S looks great in person. Someone around here has one. Walked by it the other day when it was parked, and took a look inside. I wasn't aware at the time that the only dash based control is a giant touch screen, so it was kind of surprising to see nothing but a monolithic black screen on the dash, in place of the usual buttons and dials. It's a beautiful looking car though. I'd love to take it out for a spin.
Old 05-24-13, 07:30 AM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Very impressive car, went to a showroom recently to see one. I plan to schedule a test drive soon with an eye toward buying one when there is more history to evaluate.

As for CR, it is totally worthless organization but their press gets noticed.
Old 05-24-13, 07:48 AM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Consumer Reports =
Old 05-24-13, 03:34 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Great. I love everything that Elon Musk and Co is doing. I wish them the best and hope the Tesla is here to stay.

If I had the disposable cash to make $1500 payments, I'd buy one. But I don't. Here's to hoping the Model X is priced around $50k. Or I start making more money.
I echo these sentiments.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-24-13, 10:57 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Of course it's their most highly rated car... They don't have to pay the power bill, fix the exotic 'bells and whistles', like self-opening doors (not if, but *when* they fail), or pay the $100k for the car itself. What's not to like in that free lunch?
Consumer Reports always buys everything that they test on the open market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Also, seriously grundle, you could have dropped "the" and been able to spell out all of "magazine".

Heh heh.
Old 05-25-13, 09:19 AM   #20
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Consumer Reports =

I stopped listening to their stupid asses when they gave my CD Changer one of the lowest ratings ever because it broke down, over-priced, etc. Well, 15 years later...it still works like it did on day one.
Large samples > smaller samples.

Good day, sir.

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 05-25-13, 11:41 AM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

My CD Player > Your CD Player

???

Old 05-25-13, 01:34 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Not quite true. They do test manufacturer provided loaners for new models and give quick impression reviews before buying their own to do initial full and then long term reviews. Most review places just test the loaner.
Old 05-26-13, 03:39 PM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Consumer Reports =

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I hope not.
Old 05-26-13, 04:18 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

I am serious.

And I hope your Tesla is charging while I'm typing this.

Old 05-26-13, 04:25 PM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've unplugged your CD player so I can steal your electricity.