Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-12-13, 01:15 PM   #1
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Johnathan Winters has died

Although not unexpected given his age and health problems, but this is still sad. I grew up watching him and remember even as a kid knowing that what he was doing was different and pretty out there.

Groundbreaking improv comic Jonathan Winters dies
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jonathan Winters, the cherub-faced comedian whose breakneck improvisations and misfit characters inspired the likes of Robin Williams and Jim Carrey, has died. He was 87.

The Ohio native died Thursday evening at his Montecito, California, home of natural causes, said Joe Petro III, a longtime family friend. Petro said Winters died of natural causes and was surrounded by family and friends.

Winters was a pioneer of improvisational standup comedy, with an exceptional gift for mimicry, a grab bag of eccentric personalities and a bottomless reservoir of creative energy. Facial contortions, sound effects, tall tales — all could be used in a matter of seconds to get a laugh.

On Jack Paar’s television show in 1964, Winters was handed a foot-long stick and he swiftly became a fisherman, violinist, lion tamer, canoeist, U.N. diplomat, bullfighter, flutist, delusional psychiatric patient, British headmaster and Bing Crosby’s golf club.

“As a kid, I always wanted to be lots of things,” Winters told U.S. News & World Report in 1988. “I was a Walter Mitty type. I wanted to be in the French Foreign Legion, a detective, a doctor, a test pilot with a scarf, a fisherman who hauled in a tremendous marlin after a 12-hour fight.”

The humor most often was based in reality — his characters Maude Frickert and Elwood P. Suggins, for example, were based on people Winters knew growing up in Ohio.

A devotee of Groucho Marx and Laurel and Hardy, Winters and his free-for-all brand of humor inspired Johnny Carson, Billy Crystal, Tracey Ullman and Lily Tomlin, among others. But Williams and Carrey are his best-known followers.

Winters, who battled alcoholism and depression for years, was introduced to millions of new fans in 1981 as the son of Williams’ goofball alien and his earthling wife in the final season of ABC’s “Mork and Mindy.”

The two often strayed from the script. Said Williams: “The best stuff was before the cameras were on, when he was open and free to create. … Jonathan would just blow the doors off.”

Winters’ only Emmy was for best-supporting actor for playing Randy Quaid’s father in the sitcom “Davis Rules” (1991). He was nominated again in 2003 as outstanding guest actor in a comedy series for an appearance on “Life With Bonnie.”

He also won two Grammys: One for his work on “The Little Prince” album in 1975 another for his “Crank Calls” comedy album in 1996. He also won the Kennedy Center’s second Mark Twain Prize for Humor in 1999, a year after Richard Pryor.

Winters was sought out in later years for his changeling voice and he contributed to numerous cartoons and animated films. Fittingly, he played three characters in the “The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle” movie in 2000.

“These voices are always screaming to get out,” he told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that year. “They follow me around pretty much all day and night.”

Winters had made television history in 1956, when RCA broadcast the first public demonstration of color videotape on “The Jonathan Winters Show.”

Winters quickly realized the possibilities, author David Hajdu wrote in The New York Times in 2006. He soon used video technology “to appear as two characters, bantering back and forth, seemingly in the studio at the same time. You could say he invented the video stunt.”

Winters was born Nov. 11, 1925, in Dayton, Ohio. Growing up during the Depression as an only child whose parents divorced when he was 7, Winters spent a lot of time entertaining himself.

Winters described his father as an alcoholic. But he found a comedic mentor in his mother, radio personality Alice Bahman.

“She was very fast. Whatever humor I’ve inherited I’d have to give credit to her,” Winters told the Cincinnati Enquirer in 2000.

Winters joined the Marines at 17 and served two years in the South Pacific. He returned to study at the Dayton Art Institute, helping him develop keen observational skills. At one point, he won a talent contest (and the first prize of a watch) by doing impressions of movie stars.

After stints as a radio disc jockey and TV host in Ohio from 1950-53, he left for New York, where he found early work doing impressions of John Wayne, Cary Grant, Marx and James Cagney, among others.

One night after a show, an older man sweeping up told him he wasn’t breaking any new ground by mimicking the rich or famous.

“He said, ‘What’s the matter with those characters in Ohio? I’ll bet there are some far-out dudes that you grew up with back in Ohio,’” Winters told the Orange County Register in 1997.

Two days later, he cooked up one of his most famous characters: the hard-drinking, dirty old woman Maude Frickert, modeled in part on his own mother and an aunt. The character was the forerunner of Johnny Carson’s Aunt Blabby.

Appearances on Paar’s show and others followed and Winters soon had a following. And before long, he was struggling with depression and his drinking.

“I became a robot,” Winters told TV critics in 2000. “I almost lost my sense of humor … I had a breakdown and I turned myself in (to a mental hospital). It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.”

Winters was hospitalized for eight months in the early 1960s. It’s a topic he rarely addressed and never dwelled on.

“If you make a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year and you’re talking about to the blue-collar guy who’s a farmer 200 miles south of Topeka, he’s looking up and saying, ‘That bastard makes (all that money) and he’s crying about being a manic depressive?’” Winters said.

When he got out, there was a role as a slow-witted character waiting in the 1963 ensemble film “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.”

“I finally opened up and realized I was in charge,” Winters told PBS interviewers for 2000’s “Jonathan Winters: On the Loose.” ‘’Improvisation is about taking chances, and I was ready to take chances.”

Roles in other movies followed, as did TV shows, including his own. But while show business kept Winters busy, he stayed with his painting.

“I find painting a much slower process than comedy, where you can go a mile a minute verbally and hope to God that some of the people out there understand you,” he told U.S. News and World Report in 1988. “I don’t paint every day. I’m not that motivated. I don’t do anything the same every day. Discipline is tough for a guy who is a rebel.”

Among his books is a collection of short stories called “Winters’ Tales” (1987). He also was a painter.

“I’ve done for the most part pretty much what I intended — I ended up doing comedy, writing and painting,” he told U.S. News. “I’ve had a ball. And as I get older, I just become an older kid.”

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 04-12-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 01:19 PM   #2
CharlieK
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Jonathan Winters has died

I always liked him. RIP.
Old 04-12-13, 01:20 PM   #3
Graftenberg
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So he died came back as a zombie and was killed again?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 04-12-13, 01:23 PM   #4
DirkUSA
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Johnathan Winters has died

He is dead dead Jim!

Th0r S1mpson: On a scale of 1 to 10, how confident are you that you do not have a Chinese wife?
Old 04-12-13, 01:23 PM   #5
DirkUSA
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He is dead dead Jim!

Th0r S1mpson: On a scale of 1 to 10, how confident are you that you do not have a Chinese wife?
Old 04-12-13, 01:24 PM   #6
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

He was always great. I dunno why but, despite his age, I never felt like he'd ever be gone.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 04-12-13, 01:24 PM   #7
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

News so sad it deserved to be posted twice.

So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 04-12-13, 01:27 PM   #8
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jonhathon Winters has dead

srsly

My 2013 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXjejnulTo
Old 04-12-13, 01:35 PM   #9
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

He died three times.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 04-12-13, 01:35 PM   #10
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Jonhathon Winters has dead

OMG. You're so clever.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 04-12-13, 01:36 PM   #11
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Along with Buddy Hackett, probably the first comedian that captured my attention as a kid. A true genius. Legend has it that he would check himself into a mental institution every year, because his humor really did come from a twisted place.
Old 04-12-13, 01:47 PM   #12
shumway
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RIP. Loved him as a kid. I still remember watching the Scooby Doo eps with him as a guest star.
Old 04-12-13, 01:50 PM   #13
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Jonhathon Winters has dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
OMG. You're so clever.
Maybe not, I initially thought that the albino rock star had died.

My 2013 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXjejnulTo
Old 04-12-13, 01:58 PM   #14
EddieMoney
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The LOLer-copter has flown.
Old 04-12-13, 02:07 PM   #15
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend

Give me...give me...give me a good humor bar!

As great as some of this TV stuff was, the guy was brilliant at stand-up.
Old 04-12-13, 02:12 PM   #16
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

He was one crazy, funny guy. Man he was hilarious in a way that few comedians ever are.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 04-12-13, 02:16 PM   #17
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

It's a Sad, Sad, Sad, Sad, World.
Old 04-12-13, 02:33 PM   #18
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Along with Buddy Hackett, probably the first comedian that captured my attention as a kid. A true genius.
Buddy Hackett was the funniest human being that has ever lived, IMHO.
Old 04-12-13, 02:35 PM   #19
obscurelabel
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's notable to me that Winters had a long career despite his talents not really being well-suited to movies or standard TV roles. I guess his perfect outlet was on the late-night talk shows. I remember his syndicated show "The Wacky World of Jonathan Winters" ("It's all ... ad lib!" as the theme song went) and for me it never really worked -- a half hour at the time of Winters was just too much, but 8-10 minutes was about perfect. When he was on, there was nothing really like him; Robin Williams was/is somewhat similar, but with Williams I always get the feeling that he's trying too hard -- Winters didn't try at all, he just was.
Old 04-12-13, 03:08 PM   #20
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
He's definitely up there, as is Jonathan Winters. Might be a good opportunity to rewatch Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 04-12-13, 04:01 PM   #21
Spiderbite
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh no! Not Mearth!

Honestly though, I thought he had died years ago.

My 2013 October Horror Multi-Media List
Old 04-12-13, 04:09 PM   #22
The Edit King
DVD Talk Hero

Always Loved you.
Old 04-12-13, 04:35 PM   #23
Franchot
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also think he was incredibly funny unlike Robin Williams whose improv skills I can't stand. I don't recall ever reading any bad press about Jonathan Winters and he genuinely seemed like a nice guy who was friendly and accommodating to his fans.
Old 04-12-13, 05:20 PM   #24
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Legend says that Antonius of Athens was in fact the funniest human being that has ever lived, but sadly there are no surviving recordings of his stand-up routines.
Old 04-12-13, 05:31 PM   #25
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

He was a manic guy. I think that is where much of his genius came from. He was the only reason to continue watching Mork & Mindy. But his albums were amazing. He was just absolutely off the wall funny.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Sponsored Links