DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-11-17, 04:36 PM   #2576
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Last thing you bought...

New A/C and furnace. Gotta love the responsibilities that come with being a homeowner.
Old 09-11-17, 04:38 PM   #2577
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
New A/C and furnace. Gotta love the responsibilities that come with being a homeowner.
How much did it set you back? We installed the whole deal last year. Had to have new ducting, insulation, asbestos removal, Nest thermostat. 20 grand.
Old 09-11-17, 05:56 PM   #2578
DVD Talk Hero

Bought a few dimmable light bulbs for a buck a pop

Old 09-12-17, 11:50 AM   #2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
Did that back in June. Replaced the evaporative cooler that never really worked right. I admit it's nice to set the temp and forget it. Of course, when my electric bill went through the roof I soiled myself. Now I'm fighting with the utility for their $300 rebate. I suspect many are never paid.
Old 09-12-17, 12:45 PM   #2580
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
Did that back in June. Replaced the evaporative cooler that never really worked right. I admit it's nice to set the temp and forget it. Of course, when my electric bill went through the roof I soiled myself. Now I'm fighting with the utility for their $300 rebate. I suspect many are never paid.
Ugh. I just went through that. I had a new heater and A/C installed (already had ductwork) last September for $6250 with $350 in state and $150 in federal rebates. When I applied for a certificate from Oregon so I could get my state tax rebate, I got denied because my model didn't qualify. My bid clearly stated I was eligible for the rebate.

After MONTHS of calling the heating company and being promised a call back (and never getting one), I decided I'd had enough. I wrote them a letter and sent it both certified/return receipt and through regular mail. The very next day, I got a phone call saying it was all a mistake and that even though my heater didn't qualify, they would cut me a check for the rebate shown on my bid. I explicitly asked for this in the letter. I had good records thanks to technology, and was able to state the dates I'd called and quoted the verbiage in my bid that promised a rebate. Sending it certified made it obvious that I was setting up evidence for small claims court, and for $350, it was easier and likely cheaper for them to just pay it. Not sure if a letter would work in your case, but it might.
Old 09-21-17, 11:45 AM   #2581
Inane Thread Master

Old 09-21-17, 12:32 PM   #2582
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
How did it affect your electric bill? When it gets humid (Albuquerque humid), I consider replacing our swamp cooler.
Old 09-22-17, 02:34 PM   #2583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
How did it affect your electric bill? When it gets humid (Albuquerque humid), I consider replacing our swamp cooler.
My average electric bill was in the $30's, first full month, hot June/July, was $147. Dropped slightly since. Chart straight from my PNM account.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 09-23-17, 04:47 PM   #2584
DVD Talk Legend

Ouch! I wouldn't want to spend $100/month to have refrigerated air.
Old 09-24-17, 03:39 PM   #2585
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

I'd like to see Johnny Depp direct a movie about Tim Burton directing a movie starring Johnny Depp, in which Johnny is directing a film about Danny Elfman, who is composing the music for a new Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.....playing Danny Elfman.