DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-02-17, 04:02 AM   #26
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Things to do in Maui

Thread resurrection!

I'm hanging out on Maui this week and wondering about taking the road to Hana. My kids are teens and good in the car, but it's still a lot of long, slow driving that I'd have to do. We just went up Haleakala, though, which was also not a fun drive but ultimately worth it because of the great sights.

Any opinions different from those expressed years ago above?
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-02-17, 02:03 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

I did road to Hana as a kid and didn't mind it. There's lots of places to park and hike to waterfalls and beaches. I recal that so many people stop it can be hard to find a place to stop.

2 fun facts about the Road to Hana:
-You can visit Charles Lindbergh's grave. I shit you not, he's buried there.
-If you keep on driving the road goes to dirt and you reach the island's dry side. You'd think you were in Mexico. I had no idea there was any part of Hawaii that dry.
Old 08-02-17, 02:03 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Also:

Maui Wowie
Old 08-02-17, 03:26 PM   #29
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
sit on the beach, drinking some alcoholic beverages and enjoy yourself.

/thread
For any typical beach vacation, I'd agree. Since a Hawaii trip is outside the norm, it's worth venturing out for touresty stuff since you never know when you'll get to visit again.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 08-02-17, 03:52 PM   #30

Do the Hana trip... But remember it's the road TO Hana, not Hana itself. meaning it's the journey, not the destination. Hell, we didn't even stop in Hana. There are tons of cool places to pull off and hike and find amazing waterfalls. The road "past" Hana is amazing, the best part of the trip. Go all the way around, visit the 7 sacred pools and the church. Download a good Road to Hana map with all the waterfalls and make a day out of it.

Also the road north and west of Kapalua is fun. Tons to see, if you're into adventure. It gives you a condensed version of the Hana trip.
Old 08-04-17, 01:44 PM   #31

Hana Highway

Having just ate the most sweetest pineapple, hairpins left..right..left...right...left.. right, just created the most self induced nausea I've have ever had. Throw in...two-lane, no-guard rails on the edge of the cliff and locals with a devil-may care mindset who don't care about passing Haoles on this road. And you'll have a grand old time ending up at nothing when you get there. Woohoo!
Well, I gotta tell ya - I'd be very careful who I talk to about this. Because the person who wrote this is dangerous. And one day they could just snap. And then this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho, stalking from office to office with an Armalite AR-180 carbine gas-operated semi-automatic, pumping round after round into colleagues and coworkers. This could be someone you've known for years. Someone very close to you.
Seattle 2005 January DVDTalk/Otter Meet kahuna415@yahoo.com 5 line max signatures allowed
Old 08-05-17, 07:44 AM   #32
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't been back to Maui in ages even though we go to Oahu every year. I doubt things have changed much. As for the road to Hana, I would probably do it again but I will need a little sports car like a Miata.
Old 08-07-17, 03:55 PM   #33
DVD Talk God

I go to Maui at least once a year. The road to Hana is an all day thing now. Lots of traffic. Watching the sun rise at the top of Haleakala is amazing. Done that twice. Need reservations online.

Make sure you go eat breakfast at the Kihei Cafe. It's amazing. Big beach is also a blast and the best place to watch hot chicks lose their swimsuits. Then walk over to Little Beach (nudist) and watch old people lose their swimsuits. Sundays the fire dancers hang there. Hippies will sell mushrooms around there as well.

I'm headed back for two weeks right after Thanksgiving. I sit on the beach, get high, and repeat that nearly every day. Fabiani's is as cheap as anywhere on the island to eat and their food is amazing. It's in a mini mall, but it's unreal.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 08-07-17, 06:25 PM   #34
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I developed a love affair with the Maui Tacos fast food chain last time I was there. Think I ate there every day of my seven-day trip.
Old 08-07-17, 06:28 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on Hana. We ended up not going because one of the kids wasn't feeling well, but we'd like to do it someday. We were in the Ka'anapali area and snorkeled on Airport Beach and ate shave ice and Island Cream Co. ice cream.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-07-17, 06:32 PM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I go to Maui at least once a year. The road to Hana is an all day thing now. Lots of traffic.
So, is it getting crowded like Oahu? Even places like N. Shore is so crowded. It takes forever to get from one side of town to the other. Forget about going to Honolulu. I avoid that place no matter what.

Like I said I haven't been to Maui in awhile. I remember not many people every time we went and it was usually in the middle of summer.
Old 08-08-17, 10:02 AM   #37
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I developed a love affair with the Maui Tacos fast food chain last time I was there. Think I ate there every day of my seven-day trip.
Love them. The one by Kihei Cafe closed, but there is one in a strip mall that is close enough to walk to when I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
So, is it getting crowded like Oahu? Even places like N. Shore is so crowded. It takes forever to get from one side of town to the other. Forget about going to Honolulu. I avoid that place no matter what.

Like I said I haven't been to Maui in awhile. I remember not many people every time we went and it was usually in the middle of summer.
I haven't been to Oahu since Colt Brennan was QB of the Rainbow Warriors, so more than a decade. It was generally too crowded for me then. I don't think Maui is too bad, but the fact that you need to take a day to drive the road to Hana and that they started taking reservations for sunrise at Haleakala says differently. They did get rid of the sugar cane farms so no more fires and ash everywhere.

I tend to stay around Lahaina to Kihei and once you are there, it isn't crowded. The road to Lahiana is slow, but it isn't very long. I generally make time to stay in Napili Kai Beach Resort as well.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan