Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-16-12, 08:48 AM   #26
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Who has been calling me from this number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I don't know how I haven't heard of this site before. Thanks for posting it.

I've been getting a call from a toll free number lately. I usually just ignore it, though I'll admit to it being slightly annoying. And now I know who it is so I can begin to plot my revenge.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 05-16-12, 10:22 AM   #27
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

"Hi! I'm Rachel, from cardholder services!"

damn perky bitch.
Old 05-16-12, 10:30 AM   #28
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieray View Post
Don't go cousin me of callin you. Hell I got this numbers callin me and callin me talkin bout I owe money they be askin for someone with my last name but my middle name not my mama name and all they here is a shot gun rackin the chamber chuck chuck that the universal sound for leave me alone you mfer. After I say he buddie gt me a shit gun aimes at the phone surprise Suprise thy always don't respond then I hear the dial tone like in the movies. I told this one who call she say who this I say oh he'll nah you call me who is you and she say oh never mind I say that's what I thought chuck chuck then dial tone. Works every time. I had a Indian guy call me he say you have a virus on your outer area I said no sir you bout to have a virus on your face. I usually am at home all day since my job ain't workin right now some get these calls all the time.
I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic ghetto gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Old 05-16-12, 10:32 AM   #29
cdollaz
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieray View Post
Don't go cousin me of callin you. Hell I got this numbers callin me and callin me talkin bout I owe money they be askin for someone with my last name but my middle name not my mama name and all they here is a shot gun rackin the chamber chuck chuck that the universal sound for leave me alone you mfer. After I say he buddie gt me a shit gun aimes at the phone surprise Suprise thy always don't respond then I hear the dial tone like in the movies. I told this one who call she say who this I say oh he'll nah you call me who is you and she say oh never mind I say that's what I thought chuck chuck then dial tone. Works every time. I had a Indian guy call me he say you have a virus on your outer area I said no sir you bout to have a virus on your face. I usually am at home all day since my job ain't workin right now some get these calls all the time.
Wait, you don't have a job right now? Damn, that makes you think. If it can happen to you, it can happen to anyone.
Old 05-16-12, 10:56 AM   #30
Xander
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
"Hi! I'm Rachel, from cardholder services!"

damn perky bitch.
Ugh! We keep getting calls from "cardholder services" and we don't even have a credit card! And they're almost always after my son is in bed. If I could ever reach through the phone and throttle someone, it would be these people!

Also, the number they call from keeps changing (or it is multiple companies doing it?), so I can't just block one number and be done.

And if I actually speak to someone, as soon as I start to say "take me off your list", they hang up. I need an airhorn or something I can blast into the phone when they call. Grr.

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
Old 05-16-12, 11:26 AM   #31
andicus
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Ugh! We keep getting calls from "cardholder services" and we don't even have a credit card! And they're almost always after my son is in bed. If I could ever reach through the phone and throttle someone, it would be these people!

Also, the number they call from keeps changing (or it is multiple companies doing it?), so I can't just block one number and be done.

And if I actually speak to someone, as soon as I start to say "take me off your list", they hang up. I need an airhorn or something I can blast into the phone when they call. Grr.
Maybe not the best choice, but I know what you mean.
Old 05-16-12, 01:17 PM   #32
maxfisher
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Paging maxfisher! We need your translation/interpretation expertise on aisle three.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieray, as translated by maxfisher View Post
Don't accuse me of calling you. Hell, I have someone who keeps calling and calling me from this one number, claiming that I owe them money. They ask for someone with my last name, but use my middle name. They don't use my mother's name. All they hear in response is the sound of a shell being racked into a shotgun chamber. Chuck chuck. That is the sound for leave me alone, motherfucker.

When someone unwanted calls and I say, "hey buddy, I have a shotgun aimed at the phone," guess what? Surprise! They never respond and then I just hear dial tone. It's similar to some movies I've seen.

One time, a woman called me and asked who I was. I said, "oh hell no. You called me, so who are you?" Then she said, "Oh, nevermind." I said, "That's what I thought," and then made the shotgun 'chuck chuck' sound into the phone. She hung up then, and I heard dial tone. My approach works every time.

I had an Indian man call me and claim that I had a virus on the tip of my penis. I said, "No sir, I do not, but you are about to have a virus on your face."

I usually am at home all day, as I'm a seasonal worker, so I get these calls all of the time.
Old 05-16-12, 01:43 PM   #33
Rob V
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure reggieray has a shitgun... I know that doesn't sound real, but I'm pretty sure he has one.
Old 05-16-12, 01:55 PM   #34
Jules Winfield
DVD Talk Legend

What movie has someone hanging up the phone after someone else warns that person they have a shotgun pointed at the phone? Or is reggieray saying that the sound of the dial tone is like in the movies? I would have to agree with the dial tone part. Sometimes movies get a lot of facts wrong but they do a good job with dial tones being consistent with reality.
"...you judgmental prick."-Abob Teff
"Oh, great...another crazy cat lady around here."-Mikael79
Old 05-16-12, 02:12 PM   #35
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
No problem.
The "as I'm a seasonal worker" line was pure gold.

"Mordred is a very smart man." - JasonF
Old 05-16-12, 02:14 PM   #36
movie diva

I think that maxfisher and reggieray are one in the same, has any one ever seen them together?
Silence is golden; duct tape is silver. -Kittydreamer
Old 05-16-12, 05:20 PM   #37
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

You should just send it to the blocked list on the phone. I do that for spam callers.
Old 05-16-12, 05:51 PM   #38
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
They ask for someone with my last name, but use my middle name. They don't use my mother's name.
Shouldn't that be "They ask for someone with my last name, but use my middle name instead of the name that my mother gave me"?
Old 11-01-12, 01:27 PM   #39
X
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

I was getting those calls about every couple of days. I finally started wasting their time by putting them on hold "while I get my credit card statements" until they hung up, or when I had spare time, going through each credit card statement and finding out I had nothing they could help me with.

I don't know if this will help, but maybe...

Quote:
FTC files lawsuits against five robo-call companies

By Jennifer Martinez - 11/01/12 01:52 PM ET

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on Thursday filed complaints against five companies in Arizona and Florida that are allegedly behind millions of illegal robo-calls that promised to help people lower their credit card interest rates but instead charged them hundreds of dollars in fees.

The agency estimates that the five companies raked in roughly $30 million via the robo-call operation and said similar telemarketing scams in United States take in upwards of $100 million.

The robo-calls typically came from a false number and played a pre-recorded message from a representative named Rachel from Cardholder Services or the person's credit card company, according to the FTC. Those who elected to learn more about the deal offered in Rachel's message were connected to telemarketers who offered to drastically lower their credit card rates, often to 6.9 or zero percent, or help pay off their debt two to three times faster, the FTC said.

But the deals ended up being too good to be true. Once people were approved for the telemarketer's program, they were asked to pay a hefty fee that ranged from "several hundred dollars to nearly $3,000," the FTC said. Some robo-call victims were charged even if they didn't agree to pay the fee or the telemarketers never mentioned it to them.

The FTC said it receives more than 200,000 complaints each month about these deceptive robo-calls and the bulk of those complaints are about Rachel from CardHolder Services.

The complaints filed against the five companies are part of a larger FTC crackdown against robo-call companies. The FTC said it has 17 cases against these alleged scammers. It's also running a contest where people are competing for $50,000 if they come up with the best new technology to screen out robo-calls.

The FTC sued Treasure Your Success, Ambrosia Web Design, A+ Financial Center, The Green Savers and Key One Solutions.

However, the agency believes the companies didn't make the calls themselves and hired other firms to dial consumers instead. For example, the FTC claims that a company named Asia Pacific placed 2.6 billion robo-calls over an 18 month period. The agency said it's aiming to go after these "dialer" companies.

One of the victims of the scam robo-calls is 84-year-old Alyce Weisbach of Illinois, who was charged nearly $2,000 after speaking to one of the Green Savers telemarketers. Weisbach said the telemarketer never mentioned a fee to her and she did not authorize the charge.

Weisbach told reporters on a conference call that she knew she "was taken for a ride" after she hung up on the telemarketer. She's currently working with Visa to get her money back.

Chuck Harwood, deputy director of the FTC's consumer protection bureau, said on the conference call that credit card companies like Visa have a hard time recouping the money from the scammers. He advised people to immediately hang up the phone if they receive a robo-call and to notify their credit card companies, the FTC or the Better Business Bureau if they believe they've been a victim of a scam.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-va...call-companies
Old 11-01-12, 02:11 PM   #40
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We get those up here, too, and the person is also named Rachel.

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
Old 11-01-12, 03:43 PM   #41
kahuna

We have been getting a lot of calls with no caller ID listed, or says name unavailable. The past month we have been getting calls from Wippany NJ always before 6am.

A month ago the phone rang about 4:30am. My Mom who I think jumped out of bed and trying to reach for the phone in the dark. Fell against the night stand broke the lamp that glass shade and fell on the floor. All I heard was this big boom. I banged on her door. She open it and was in the bathroom trying to stop the blood that was dripping from the side of her head. We finally convinced her to go to the emergency room. They did cat scan and also x-rays and found out she had 4 broken ribs also.
Old 11-01-12, 03:49 PM   #42
Mrs. Danger
DVD Talk Legend

I keep getting calls from a "pharmacy". They call from different numbers, and from "private". I have started telling the operators that I will pray for them to find a real job.
Old 11-01-12, 05:16 PM   #43
cungar
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
We have been getting a lot of calls with no caller ID listed, or says name unavailable. The past month we have been getting calls from Wippany NJ always before 6am.
Every night.

I have that damn computer voice answering machine notification.

"UNAVAILABLE" blasting out of my office
Old 11-01-12, 05:41 PM   #44
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I switched to Ooma, they block unknown callers by default.

Voip services rock.

- Demetri Martin