Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-12, 01:10 AM   #1576
Franchot
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arre

Haven't seen this information...

Did Zimmerman ever make a statement that he identified himself to Martin as a member of the Neighborhood Watch?

Or is the story that Zimmerman exited his vehicle, was walking around, and then Martin attacked/ambushed Zimmerman?

Old 04-19-12, 01:49 AM   #1577
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arre

I'd still like people here to define just when self-defense would start/end and when it would apply/not apply, when in a given situation like this.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Old 04-19-12, 03:45 AM   #1578
Deadman31
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope the blackies dont riot if Z is found innocent.

Old 04-19-12, 05:25 AM   #1579
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I hope the blackies dont riot if Z is found innocent.
I guess you think you're being cute. You're not....

Old 04-19-12, 06:11 AM   #1580
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Hot!

PSN: Chiwotweiler

Old 04-19-12, 06:22 AM   #1581
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I don't understand. It's been said over and over that Zimmerman is a "wannabe cop" who "didn't want to let the police do their job."

If that's true, why did he call the police?

Old 04-19-12, 07:45 AM   #1582
KingSmoth
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because it is perfectly reasonable to make assumptions about Zimmerman, yet unreasonable to make them about Martin.

Old 04-19-12, 08:30 AM   #1583
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSmoth View Post
Because it is perfectly reasonable to make assumptions about Zimmerman, yet unreasonable to make them about Martin.
Someone gets it.

Old 04-19-12, 10:15 AM   #1584
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
One thing I don't understand. It's been said over and over that Zimmerman is a "wannabe cop" who "didn't want to let the police do their job."

If that's true, why did he call the police?
It's obvious he was trying to help them. He was trying to help them far too much. I've repeated this several times: it's okay for a neighborhood watch member to notice somebody suspicious and alert the police, it's NOT okay to follow that suspicious person. It's very simple, no neighborhood watch group advocates following, confronting, or detaining suspects. You simply alert the police then remain some place safe.

Old 04-19-12, 10:55 AM   #1585
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I've repeated this several times: it's okay for a neighborhood watch member to notice somebody suspicious and alert the police, it's NOT okay to follow that suspicious person.
As long as you realize that is just your opinion, and that there are no actual rules or laws that would prevent someone from following a suspicious person.

Old 04-19-12, 11:30 AM   #1586
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
it's okay for a neighborhood watch member to notice somebody suspicious and alert the police, it's NOT okay to follow that suspicious person. It's very simple, no neighborhood watch group advocates following, confronting, or detaining suspects. You simply alert the police then remain some place safe.
Confronting or detaining sure, but you got any thing to backup the "No following" claim?

Old 04-19-12, 11:34 AM   #1587
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

A woman knows better than to walk down an alley at night. But it's not illegal. Still it's a bad idea.

If she does and someone tries to rape her, that doesn't make her guilty. And she can certainly defend herself by any legal means, even though she made a poor decision.

http://savejace.info/

Old 04-19-12, 11:45 AM   #1588
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Dude, everyone is making assumptions about both men. It isnt unreasonable because we have no influence on the case. We are just people voicing opinions.

Some assume Martin is a Thug deserving his death, other assume Zimmerman is wannabe cop who got in over his head and killed someone.

So what? Unless one of you here on dvdtalk is an attorney, DA, or cop closely involved with the case.....then that person should stfu.

Old 04-19-12, 11:48 AM   #1589
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
A woman knows better than to walk down an alley at night. But it's not illegal. Still it's a bad idea.

If she does and someone tries to rape her, that doesn't make her guilty. And she can certainly defend herself by any legal means, even though she made a poor decision.
Thats a great analogy.

Old 04-19-12, 12:19 PM   #1590
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:

Except in this case people are saying she asked for it, she wanted it, AND she should go to jail for the rest of her life for defending herself.

Old 04-19-12, 01:09 PM   #1591
Th0r S1mpson
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Thats a great analogy.
I forgot to mention that the rapist had Skittles and lived just down the alley, so he had every right to be there.

http://savejace.info/

Old 04-19-12, 01:39 PM   #1592
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
As long as you realize that is just your opinion, and that there are no actual rules or laws that would prevent someone from following a suspicious person.
I've never implied otherwise. I've said several times that both men made mistakes, but I hold George to a higher standard because he's supposed to be the adult with 11 years of experience on Martin. George should have had the common sense to stay in his car and let the police handle the situation, for his own safety. He wouldn't have chosen to follow Martin if he didn't have a gun.

Old 04-19-12, 01:40 PM   #1593
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Some assume Martin is a Thug deserving his death
I don't think anyone feels he deserved to die for his actions that night.

Old 04-19-12, 01:51 PM   #1594
KingSmoth
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Dude, everyone is making assumptions about both men. It isnt unreasonable because we have no influence on the case. We are just people voicing opinions.

Some assume Martin is a Thug deserving his death, other assume Zimmerman is wannabe cop who got in over his head and killed someone.

So what? Unless one of you here on dvdtalk is an attorney, DA, or cop closely involved with the case.....then that person should stfu.
It is absolutely unreasonable. Those ridiculous one-sided assumptions, coupled with the irresponsible reporting by the media have turned this into a racist nightmare. A jury is built upon ones peers, ie you and I, coming to a reasonable decision based upon given facts and evidence. We may not have all the facts or ANY say in the outcome of the case, but it stands to reason that unreasonable responses to this case have spiraled it into chaos.
Also, for some reason you keep saying it, but I don't recall anyone stating that Martin deserved to die. My friend and his mother were brutally murdered by his father, he received lethal injection and he earned it. Martin was tragically killed in an incident of uncertainty and certainly didn't deserve it, but it happened.

Old 04-19-12, 02:00 PM   #1595
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
He wouldn't have chosen to follow Martin if he didn't have a gun.
Do you realize how often your arguments rely on you having ESP? Maybe this is because you need to place more blame than is due?

Old 04-19-12, 02:12 PM   #1596
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Do you realize how often your arguments rely on you having ESP? Maybe this is because you need to place more blame than is due?
Do you realize how redundant it would be if I said "In my opinion" in every post? Didn't your english teacher tell you that the fact that it's an opinion should be assumed in discussions like these?

Old 04-19-12, 11:18 PM   #1597
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the rapist had Skittles and lived just down the alley, so he had every right to be there.

I guess you are joking. I dont know. I was actually serious about your analogy. Im not backing down on my opinion of what happend with Zimmerman and Martin...but you knew that.

Old 04-19-12, 11:23 PM   #1598
SkullOrchard
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
I don't think anyone feels he deserved to die for his actions that night.
Zimmerman obviously did.

Old 04-19-12, 11:39 PM   #1599
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
It is absolutely unreasonable. Those ridiculous one-sided assumptions, coupled with the irresponsible reporting by the media have turned this into a racist nightmare. A jury is built upon ones peers, ie you and I, coming to a reasonable decision based upon given facts and evidence. We may not have all the facts or ANY say in the outcome of the case, but it stands to reason that unreasonable responses to this case have spiraled it into chaos.
Also, for some reason you keep saying it, but I don't recall anyone stating that Martin deserved to die. My friend and his mother were brutally murdered by his father, he received lethal injection and he earned it. Martin was tragically killed in an incident of uncertainty and certainly didn't deserve it, but it happened.
Im sorry but i totally disagree. Im not on the jury so i can say whatever i want. So can you if you at choose to. If you choose not too, fine. But dont expect others to feel the same just becuase you've landed on some self imposed artificial moral high ground.

You being in here with your previous long winded post with YOUR theories of what happened and your "leaning towards Zimmerman" comments are no less the same thing others are doing. And oh yeah, you can bitch about the media all you want, but you have your own mind and the media cant force you to do anything you dont want to do or think.

Old 04-20-12, 12:45 AM   #1600
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
And oh yeah, you can bitch about the media all you want, but you have your own mind and the media cant force you to do anything you dont want to do or think.

Closed Thread