Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-12, 10:45 PM   #1151
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
This was just a homage to young Travon since he used this as his Twitter handle.
But they used correct grammar. Which is kind of odd.

If they would have pronounced it any other way, the culprits would have been at question. Which now makes me question the sign altogether. Because unless we have witnesses who saw who did this, it could be a ploy to gain more popularity with one side or the other.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Old 04-09-12, 11:16 PM   #1152
General Zod
DVD Talk Ruler

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Nope. It's the Media pouring fuel on Racial Tensions via the highways.
I think you are on to something!

Old 04-10-12, 01:45 AM   #1153
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
No he refers to himself as a "Nigga" apparently two completely different terms according to some people.

It is. And Non-Blacks generally don't use the term "nigga".

Old 04-10-12, 02:24 AM   #1154
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Werd.

Old 04-10-12, 12:12 PM   #1155
stingermck
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Six shots were fired into an empty police cruiser early today in the Florida neighborhood where black teenager Trayvon Martin was shot and killed as the mayor warned that the town has become a "kindling box."
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
My Batgirl site http://batgirlarchives.8m.com/

Old 04-10-12, 12:22 PM   #1156
zekeburger1979
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
George Zimmerman launches website for donations via PayPal for legal, living expenses
If he had heeded the 911 dispatcher's advice not to follow Taryvon, he wouldn't be in this situation. He doesn't get any sympathy from me. He brought it upon himself and has to live with the consequences.

PSN Name ZacharyTF

Old 04-10-12, 12:22 PM   #1157
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

So a hispanic civilian shoots a black teenager, and it has somehow turned into black vs white and blacks vs the police.

Old 04-10-12, 01:14 PM   #1158
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post
If he had heeded the 911 dispatcher's advice not to follow Taryvon, he wouldn't be in this situation. He doesn't get any sympathy from me. He brought it upon himself and has to live with the consequences.
Though he won't be able to rely on your help, I am betting he will make a ton of money doing this.

Old 04-10-12, 03:41 PM   #1159
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
So a hispanic civilian shoots a black teenager, and it has somehow turned into black vs white and blacks vs the police.
It makes sense.

You have to understand that this case has opened up many issues here in America. Hell, look at this thread. It's gone from Trayvon's Death > What makes people get into Crime > "Poisonous Black Culture" > Fashion (Hoodies) > Gun Rights > Vigilantes > Media Bias > Stand You ground Laws > Biased Police work > etc.

Old 04-10-12, 03:41 PM   #1160
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
... I am betting he will make a ton of money doing this.
I agree.

Old 04-10-12, 03:59 PM   #1161
cpgator
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So if Zimmerman is found guilty of anything relating to the shooting, will he be required to forfeit any earnings from his site? Based on son of sam law?

Old 04-10-12, 04:29 PM   #1162
Rockmjd23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
It makes sense.

You have to understand that this case has opened up many issues here in America. Hell, look at this thread. It's gone from Trayvon's Death > What makes people get into Crime > "Poisonous Black Culture" > Fashion (Hoodies) > Gun Rights > Vigilantes > Media Bias > Stand You ground Laws > Biased Police work > etc.
And that's just this thread

Old 04-10-12, 06:55 PM   #1163
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

Legal team drops Zimmerman in Florida shooting case
Quote:
Sanford, Florida (CNN) -- Attorneys for neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who authorities say fatally shot an unarmed teenager in Florida, said Tuesday they have lost contact with their client and will no longer represent him.

"He has gone on his own. I'm not sure what he's doing or who he's talking to," said legal adviser Craig Sonner. "If he wants us to come back as counsel, he will contact us."

Sonner, who said the last time they had contact with Zimmerman was Sunday, spoke to reporters in Florida with attorney Hal Uhrig.

Uhrig said Zimmerman contacted the office of the special prosecutor appointed to lead the investigation on his own.

"One of the things every defense attorney tells his client is don't talk to the prosecutors," said Uhrig, adding that he is concerned about his former client's "emotional and physical safety."

Uhrig also seemed to suggest that Zimmerman had left the state of Florida.

"For those of you engaged in the late Easter egg hunt looking for him, you can stop looking in Florida. Look much further away than that," he told reporters.

About Zimmerman, Sonner would say only, "He's in the United States."

"I still believe that he was acting in self-defense that night. Nothing that I've said about him, or this case, has changed in any way. I just can't proceed to represent a client who doesn't stay in contact with me," said Sonner.

Although details of the February 26 incident remain murky, what is known is that 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, an African-American, ventured out from his father's fiancee's home in Sanford to get a snack at a nearby convenience store.

As he walked back with a bag of Skittles and an Arizona Iced Tea, he was shot and killed by Zimmerman, who is Hispanic and who had called 911 to complain about a suspicious person in the neighborhood, according to authorities.

Zimmerman told Sanford police the shooting was in self-defense. The fact that he has not been charged with a crime has provoked demonstrations and calls for his arrest.

Martin's death has triggered a nationwide debate about race in America and Florida's "stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force anywhere they feel a reasonable threat of death or serious injury.

Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for Martin's family, said the family, after hearing what Zimmerman's lawyers said, were concerned he could be a flight risk

"The family is deeply concerned that George Zimmerman could pose a flight risk if he does indeed face charges in the murder of Trayvon Martin. All the family has asked for from the very beginning is simple justice. It is their hope that George Zimmerman will face his legal responsibilities if arrested and charged," he said in a statement.

Special prosecutor Angela Corey has not indicated when she will decide whether to file charges against Zimmerman.

Corey, assigned to oversee the investigation, announced Monday that she would not present the controversial shooting case to a grand jury. A grand jury set to convene Tuesday was canceled.

"The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case," Corey's office said.

But some legal experts say Corey's announcement could signal an imminent decision on Zimmerman.

"I would anticipate she will move quickly on this," said Paul Callan, a former New York prosecutor. "I think you'll see her come down with charges probably very, very soon."
I only quoted the first half of the article. The rest dealt with already known info.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)

Old 04-10-12, 07:20 PM   #1164
DaveyJoe
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a bizarre turn of events.

Old 04-10-12, 09:12 PM   #1165
SkullOrchard
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

White Hispanics be so crazy.

Old 04-10-12, 09:22 PM   #1166
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's probably back in Mexico by now.

Old 04-10-12, 09:45 PM   #1167
mhg83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
He's probably back in Mexico by now.
I'm no legal expert but since he was never charged with a crime is he legally able to leave the country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....

Old 04-11-12, 02:46 AM   #1168
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Godfather

Strange turn....

Old 04-11-12, 05:11 AM   #1169
ResIpsa
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, whenever I lose contact with a client for two whole days the first thought that pops into my head is to call a press conference and quit in a very public manner. Oh, and make sure to tell the world (i.e. the prosecutor) that my former client has probably left (fled?) the state. Yeah, that seems like a great idea.

I'm guessing there is a bit more to the story. His (former) attorneys are probably not too happy Zimmerman is contacting the prosecutor directly and setting up a website. Still, they should have bowed out quietly without calling a press conference and making statements that will only hurt their former client. Lots of ethical violations here.

Last edited by ResIpsa; 04-11-12 at 05:24 AM.

Old 04-11-12, 08:14 AM   #1170
arminius
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They keep mentioning the skittles in almost every report. I am starting to think this is product placement. I wonder which one they had a contract with, the black African-American or the white hispanic.

Also in all future news reporting I expect that the term hispanic will always be preceded by a color.

Old 04-11-12, 09:18 AM   #1171
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

Highly odd to have this press conference. Of course, if these "advisors" aren't of the unbiased political venue, then they probably didn't like the fact Zimmerman talked to Sean Hannity of Fox News.

Also, the New Black Panther Party has issued their own arrest warrant for Zimmerman.

Old 04-11-12, 11:43 AM   #1172
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why is he being referred to as a "white hispanic"? I mean no black/white/hispanic/whatthefuckever calls the President a white black man. Or mulatto if you will. Its backwards and trying to incite white vs. everyone anger. it's dumb and knock it off, ya racist mooks.

Old 04-11-12, 12:15 PM   #1173
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
Why is he being referred to as a "white hispanic"? I mean no black/white/hispanic/whatthefuckever calls the President a white black man. Or mulatto if you will. Its backwards and trying to incite white vs. everyone anger. it's dumb and knock it off, ya racist mooks.
Hispanic is not a race. Really, look at any government form that asks about race and notice that it's listed as a separate category. There are white Hispanics primarily descended from Spaniards (you do admit the Spanish are white, right), and black Hispanics descended primarily from slaves, and Amerindian Hispanics descended primarily from the natives of Latin America, and even Asian Hispanics descended from coolies who came across the Pacific in the 19th Century.

Old 04-11-12, 12:41 PM   #1174
wmansir
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And yet before this case the media never cared about such technicalities.

Even in the 911 tape the operator asks "Is he white, black or hispanic?" According to the defenders of the "white Hispanic" usage that's like asking "Is he white, black or a jew?"

Old 04-11-12, 12:43 PM   #1175
Hokeyboy
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
you do admit the Spanish are white, right
Have you ever traveled south of Madrid? You're in for a rude awakening...

But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!

Closed Thread