Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: Do you like Hawaiian food?
Yes, I love a good plate lunch with a shave ice chaser 29 54.72%
It's fine when I'm there but not something I would go out of my way for 5 9.43%
No, I refuse to partake in any cuisine that considers spam a consumable product 7 13.21%
I've never had Hawaiian food 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-12, 06:18 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: YAFT: Do you like Hawaiian food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Is Gardena bowl that good? Need to try it next time I'm in the area (though there's so many good places to eat there). One of my favorite places to eat in Oahu is in a bowling alley (Aiea Bowl)
It's like local, japanese food. And the saimin/wonton mein is much better than the Loft.
Old 03-26-12, 10:28 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Is Gardena bowl that good? Need to try it next time I'm in the area (though there's so many good places to eat there). One of my favorite places to eat in Oahu is in a bowling alley (Aiea Bowl)
I still miss the Oxtail Soup from Kam Bowl which closed a few years ago.
Old 03-26-12, 10:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Bruddah's, The Loft, Back Home in Lahaina, Teriyaki Hawaii.. all serve kalua pig, lau lau, lomi salmon, poke etc.
Cool! Just wanted to make a note of the distinction here so that visitors don't get surprised with squid luau when they are expecting teri beef!
Old 03-27-12, 12:20 AM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraybies View Post
Cool! Just wanted to make a note of the distinction here so that visitors don't get surprised with squid luau when they are expecting teri beef!
It's not as good as Ono's, Helena's or Young's, but it's as close as we can get.
Old 05-19-16, 11:51 AM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

Just had Loco Moco yesterday, though not at L&L. I don't go there much now that my kids went vegetarian.

Loco Moco is a combination of really plain elements: hamburger patty, white rice, brown gravy, egg. But the combination just works for me, as long as there's enough gravy to go around. The one I had yesterday had more flavor in its burger than some others, so that helps as well.

But I admit I'm a real fan of gravy and rice. My mom always served rice at Thanksgiving, and I preferred putting gravy on that instead of the mashed potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Anyone have much experience with L&L Hawaiian BBQ? What do you recommend?

I didn't know anything about the place until I heard about it on a podcast I listen to (it's called Doughboys, btw, and it's hilarious. People in this thread would like it, I think.).

Anyway, there's one right by my house that I went to last weekend, and I was overwhelmed by the choices. They have the main menu, then like a sub-menu on the bottom, then another menu on the wall next to the register...

I ended up getting the Moco Loco, mostly because it seemed like the most unhealthy option, so it was a no brainer. It was ok, but not great. But, I saw a lot of Spam options on those menu's, too, which I will definitely go back to check out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The go-to at L&L is their bbq plate-lunch, which has bbq chicken, beef and short rib, along with a side of rice and macaroni salad.

Some locations are better than others, and more independent places (like "Aloha bbq", a local place) are better than any L&L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Musibi at any Hawaiian joint is a must. Granted, you must like spam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Stopped by L&L this afternoon. My brother had what is shown above (L & L Hawaiian BBQ Mix) plate, I had the Hawaiian Barbecue Beef plate, my niece had the Hawaiian Barbecue Short Ribs plate, my Mom & SNL shared a Chicken Katsu plate with a small side order of Friend Noodles.
Challenges: TV on DVD* 2016 | Holiday 2015 | Comedy 2015 | Horror 2015 | Criterion 2015 | Animation 2015 | Sci-Fi 2015 | Historical 2015 | Make-Your-Own 2015 | Drive-In 2015 | Action 2015 | Academy Award 2015 | Leap Day 2012
Old 05-19-16, 04:21 PM   #56
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Just had Loco Moco yesterday, though not at L&L. I don't go there much now that my kids went vegetarian.
You should check out this place next time your in the Bay Area. IMHO, it's better than L&L.

http://hawaiianislandbbq.com/locations.html
Old 05-20-16, 12:48 AM   #57
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had L & L the other day. It's pretty good and it's close by, so I go there occasionally. I usually get the chicken katsu plate and they give me so much it takes me a couple days to finish it.
Old 05-20-16, 10:39 AM   #58
DVD Talk Special Edition

I made another trip to L&L the other day and got the chicken katsu and spam masubi.

The chicken was really good, and they always do their rice perfectly. If I go back and I'm ever undecided about what to get, I've got this as my fall back meal. It was great.

The masubi...not so much. It's the seaweed. I don't like it. It tastes musty, dirty. Maybe we just don't get the freshest seaweed here in Az, but I'll skip the masubi from here on out.
Old 05-20-16, 04:35 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
I had L & L the other day. It's pretty good and it's close by, so I go there occasionally. I usually get the chicken katsu plate and they give me so much it takes me a couple days to finish it.
The Loco Moco I just got was two eggs and two hamburger patties, with no smaller option on the menu, so it lasted me a lunch and the following breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
You should check out this place next time your in the Bay Area. IMHO, it's better than L&L.

http://hawaiianislandbbq.com/locations.html
I like L&L fine, but it's the only Hawaiian franchise in our area. There are a handful of independents, some better and some worse. The one just a few blocks from my house closed down, and the next closest is my least favorite.

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can grab lunch when I'm exploring new comics stores.
Challenges: TV on DVD* 2016 | Holiday 2015 | Comedy 2015 | Horror 2015 | Criterion 2015 | Animation 2015 | Sci-Fi 2015 | Historical 2015 | Make-Your-Own 2015 | Drive-In 2015 | Action 2015 | Academy Award 2015 | Leap Day 2012
Old 05-20-16, 08:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can grab lunch when I'm exploring new comics stores.
Going on my yearly HI trip soon and my brother told me that Jelly's Comics closed down last January. Both locations....kinda sad about that. My favorite store in Oahu.
Old 05-21-16, 01:29 PM   #61
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
I made another trip to L&L the other day and got the chicken katsu and spam masubi.

The chicken was really good, and they always do their rice perfectly. If I go back and I'm ever undecided about what to get, I've got this as my fall back meal. It was great.

The masubi...not so much. It's the seaweed. I don't like it. It tastes musty, dirty. Maybe we just don't get the freshest seaweed here in Az, but I'll skip the masubi from here on out.
Idk where you are in the Valley (I should probably just assume East Valley), but over here in the West Valley, there's a really great, locally owned Hawaiian joint:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/leos-island-bbq-peoria
Old 05-21-16, 03:14 PM   #62
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
Idk where you are in the Valley (I should probably just assume East Valley), but over here in the West Valley, there's a really great, locally owned Hawaiian joint:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/leos-island-bbq-peoria

North Valley, actually. I17 and Happy Valley-ish.

I do some work over by the 101 and T-bird every couple weeks. I might have to jump up to Bell and check that place out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Also, I went back to L&L yesterday. Third time this week. This is getting out of hand. Got the sausage, eggs, and rice. Absolutely nothing to write home about.
Old 05-21-16, 03:34 PM   #63
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to a place called Teri Hawaii today. It was...OK but I'll choose L&L over it any day. Smaller portions, more expensive and not as tasty.
Old 05-21-16, 04:44 PM   #64
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like to put Kake mochi in my popcorn.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Arare...s=mochi+crunch
Old 05-22-16, 09:34 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
For what you pay for a single spam musubi, you can make your own much cheaper.
Old 05-22-16, 09:34 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I went to a place called Teri Hawaii today. It was...OK but I'll choose L&L over it any day. Smaller portions, more expensive and not as tasty.
They're not the same since new ownership took over years ago. Shave ice is still ok tho.
Old 05-23-16, 12:50 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Also, I went back to L&L yesterday. Third time this week. This is getting out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Going on my yearly HI trip soon and my brother told me that Jelly's Comics closed down last January. Both locations....kinda sad about that. My favorite store in Oahu.
That sucks. I go to HI every two or three years, and I only discovered both Jelly's my last time there, but I'm sorry to see them go. There are just not that many comics stores around.
Old 05-23-16, 01:06 PM   #68
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Teri Hawaii is near my place. It's not the best. You could have gone a couple miles further West and hit The Loft on Artesia and Van Ness which is VERY good or any number of better Hawaiian places. King's Hawaiian: The Local Place is good too.

http://www.thelofthawaii.com/

http://www.thelocalplace.com/
Old 05-23-16, 01:59 PM   #69
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dammit, now i'm craving loco moco. why doesnt ono hawaiian serve that?
Old 05-23-16, 03:12 PM   #70
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Teri Hawaii is near my place. It's not the best. You could have gone a couple miles further West and hit The Loft on Artesia and Van Ness which is VERY good or any number of better Hawaiian places. King's Hawaiian: The Local Place is good too.

http://www.thelofthawaii.com/

http://www.thelocalplace.com/
I've been to The Loft in Torrance, but not the one on Artesia. I love that place too.
I want to get to King's Hawaiian at some point. It's on my short list.
Old 05-23-16, 06:10 PM   #71

I could eat this everyday. Even with nothing on it, it's good.
Old 05-23-16, 06:38 PM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

Now I want Loco Moco AND King's Hawaiian sweet bread.
Old 05-23-16, 07:48 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Loco moco doesn't look like it'd be too difficult to fix. And Kings Hawaiian bread is easy to get at the store.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)