Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-06-12, 05:15 PM   #551
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2012 Edition - Now with more health and nutrition!

Good if basic article for those worried about fat intake.

http://www.active.com/page35811.aspx?PageMode=Print

I've strongly feel zeroing in on a single item (fat, carbs, sugar, red meat, whatever) is a bad idea.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-06-12, 06:49 PM   #552
JimRochester
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from vacation and tomorrow I'll weigh myself. Basically I did well by not indulging in dessert or bad carbs but I ate and drank too much for 4 days so I know I'll be way up in the morning.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // Panasonic 58" VIERA Plasma, Pioneer Elite vsx91, SONY s590 375 titles, Toshiba A35 79 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Most wanted BD: Bugsy/DieHard 4(R rated)/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(DC)/(an affordable)Sleepless In Seattle/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies(2014?)/While You Were Sleeping.
Old 05-07-12, 06:05 AM   #553
JimRochester
DVD Talk Legend

Up about 2 or 2.5. Which isn't as bad as I thought it might have been. I was anticipating 5 - 8. Ran today so back into the routine.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // Panasonic 58" VIERA Plasma, Pioneer Elite vsx91, SONY s590 375 titles, Toshiba A35 79 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Most wanted BD: Bugsy/DieHard 4(R rated)/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(DC)/(an affordable)Sleepless In Seattle/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies(2014?)/While You Were Sleeping.
Old 05-07-12, 07:49 AM   #554
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a believer that you can fit most foods, on occasion, into a healthy lifestyle. However, some of these are just scary. And many are rated without side dishes.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slides...nt-list/186883

Now these are the reasons people say you should not eat out too much!!

Home Theater Build
Old 05-07-12, 03:33 PM   #555
JimRochester
DVD Talk Legend

Yowza!
Old 05-07-12, 03:59 PM   #556
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

The first mistake is to eat at any of those restaurants.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 05-07-12, 05:55 PM   #557
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
The first mistake is to eat at any of those restaurants.
True dat!

A favorite of mine use to be PF Changs. But I looked at their own nutritional information once, and don't think I have been back.

IMO that is why many didn't want to have to list their nutritional information. It wasn't because it was hard, or difficult, or the slight variances due to individual items. It is due cause the resturants thought they would lose business if they had to actually tell people what they were eating. I know refuse to eat at places that do not provide the information. Soon they will have to, but they should on their own.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-07-12, 08:50 PM   #558
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

Any suggestions for quick breakfast foods and sides to go with a packed lunch? I'm trying to squeeze a few more calories in my diet but I'm having trouble finding something quick or anything suitable to bring with a turkey sandwich.

I currently eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast but I don't know if I should be adding eggs or anything else in the mix. I don't have a lot of time in the morning to prepare food so I need something I can either make the night before or something standalone.

I'm bringing a banana with my sandwich for lunch but I couldn't think of anything else.

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god you say 'YES'!"
Old 05-07-12, 10:07 PM   #559
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Yes an egg would be good. I use to just use an egg as part of the liquid in the oatmeal.

Well there are a lot of things you can add. Any sort of nuts, especially almonds would be good. Good fats, good protein and fiber. Just watch the portions. Measure out a 1/4 cup or roughly a palm full.

Add a lettuce wrap for a snack. Use water packed tuna, or put the tuna on celery.

Speaking of celery, you could make ants on a log (peanut butter on celery with raisins). Make your own peanut butter. Otherwise get a natural one or one low in sugar.

Costco has a good deal on Pure Protien bars. About 180 calories, good Protien and good taste.

Heck, just pack another half sandwich. Especially if you are using good wheat bread.

Make a big batch of hard boiled eggs and take one of those as a side or snack.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-07-12, 10:13 PM   #560
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!

I grew up on 100% whole wheat bread, so that's what I use for my sandwiches. I'm not going shopping until this weekend but I picked up a few items today and was kind of dumbfounded.

Going to try using weights tomorrow.

Old 05-07-12, 10:24 PM   #561
slop101
DVD Talk Legend

A hard-boiled egg, an apple, some good-grained toast/bread - one or all of those.
Old 05-07-12, 10:59 PM   #562
kgrogers1979
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Home made apple cinnamon oatmeal is great. (Don't get the prepackaged junk since it has too much added sugar.) Get some ground cinnamon to sprinkle in your oatmeal along with a chopped apple, and its great. I eat that and three scrambled eggs almost every day for breakfast.
Old 05-08-12, 04:03 AM   #563
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Any suggestions for quick breakfast foods and sides to go with a packed lunch? I'm trying to squeeze a few more calories in my diet but I'm having trouble finding something quick or anything suitable to bring with a turkey sandwich.

I currently eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast but I don't know if I should be adding eggs or anything else in the mix. I don't have a lot of time in the morning to prepare food so I need something I can either make the night before or something standalone.

I'm bringing a banana with my sandwich for lunch but I couldn't think of anything else.
Eggs take maybe 3 minutes to make. You can set your alarm 5 minutes earlier.

Apples, oranges, bananas, avocado*, plain yogurt, handful of almonds, etc. All good choices.

* You can eat this at work.

Skip the oatmeal and/or cereals, even if it has no sugar.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 05-08-12, 03:36 PM   #564
JimRochester
DVD Talk Legend

Had a small win today. My times for my 3.25 mile runs have been terrible. Between the extra weight and the winter headwind, I've been struggling with 10 minute miles. I've been averaging 32 minutes+ sometimes over 33. Yesterday I was at 31.23, today I hit 29.20. I was flying.

Right back into the swing. I was bad the first couple days back from vacation but did well today and am back on the wagon
Old 05-08-12, 05:53 PM   #565
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a little disappointed my weight isn't coming off faster. But meh, I know it is the consistency that is the key. I've lost a full 10 lbs in a month or so. So at 188. Which puts me back at -85 overall. I consider 183-188 my "normal" weight

I am feeling better at the gym. Had a good run last night. And believe I will increase the weights on some exercises tonight. Eating much better. So, know I'll get where I need to go. Eventually. Still within my shot of hit 186 by the 15th, and 183 by the end of the month.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-08-12, 06:00 PM   #566
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

OK, since I'm back on a calorie deficit diet, I'm thinking of supplementing with whey protein. I did this about 18-24 months back and least "felt" it helped. But I bought the cheap stuff at Walmart.

I thought I'd a scoop/serving on weight lifting days. My gym has a promo going on the On. And of course I've seen the Muscle Milk. Suggestions? Recommendations?

Home Theater Build
Old 05-08-12, 06:16 PM   #567
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Optimum Nutrition's Oats and Whey and their regular Whey but the natural version is really good...

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 05-08-12, 06:40 PM   #568
mhg83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been out of the gym for awhile and was thinking of signing back up. But then my dad gave me his free weights and i also have a pull up bar.Can I get a good work out with only free weights and a pull up bar? I would also do some outdoor running for cardio.
Old 05-08-12, 07:01 PM   #569
kgrogers1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
OK, since I'm back on a calorie deficit diet, I'm thinking of supplementing with whey protein. I did this about 18-24 months back and least "felt" it helped. But I bought the cheap stuff at Walmart.

I thought I'd a scoop/serving on weight lifting days. My gym has a promo going on the On. And of course I've seen the Muscle Milk. Suggestions? Recommendations?
I don't use protein powder myself since I prefer to get protein from real food, but I know Amazon sells the powder pretty cheap. I'm not sure if its cheaper than Wal-Mart though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Been out of the gym for awhile and was thinking of signing back up. But then my dad gave me his free weights and i also have a pull up bar.Can I get a good work out with only free weights and a pull up bar? I would also do some outdoor running for cardio.
Yes, you can definitely get a full workout using a pair of dumbbells and a pullup bar.

Here's some links to get you started:

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybui...tness_tip.html
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html
Old 05-08-12, 07:09 PM   #570
deadlax
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ive used the whey. I tend to gain weight when im taking it, but i also tend to gain weight when i am lifting. On is good stuff. I also like designer whey brand.
Old 05-08-12, 10:01 PM   #571
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Eggs take maybe 3 minutes to make. You can set your alarm 5 minutes earlier.

Apples, oranges, bananas, avocado*, plain yogurt, handful of almonds, etc. All good choices.

* You can eat this at work.

Skip the oatmeal and/or cereals, even if it has no sugar.
I love eggs. I've just discounted them because of the high cholesterol. I didn't know I should be cutting oatmeal out. Is there a reason to avoid it?

Eating right is just as important as working out. That's the balance I've been trying to find. I just want to really over do breakfast, either.

I did weight today and I am sore. But, I feel a little more accomplished. I didn't do as much cardio as I had hoped because I was a bit tired from the weights. Should've done the cardio first.

Should I be doing weights every day or every other?

Quote:
A good friend of mine swears by the whey protein he gets at Costco. He's of course in much better shape than I am but he was very flabby and now has a solid definition.

I think this is it:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...atchallpartial

Old 05-08-12, 10:19 PM   #572
FantasticVSDoom
DVD Talk Legend

Remember with cholesterol. Cholesterol in food doesn't equate to rises in blood cholesterol. Rises in blood cholesterol tend to come from spikes in blood sugar via a diet thats based on high carbs, low fat and low protein. On top of that, research is suspect that high cholesterol even matters all that much. 50% of people with heart disease have normal levels of cholesterol. All that is to say don't be afraid to eat eggs.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 05-08-12, 10:49 PM   #573
kgrogers1979

In addition to that, the whole thing about eggs being bad comes from an old age before we knew about "good" cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol. So people back then just used to think of cholesterol as being cholesterol and nothing more. Today we know better, that there are in fact good cholesterols and your body needs these good cholesterols. If your body is low in good cholesterol that can be just as bad as being high in the bad cholesterol.

Egg yolks are mostly the good kind of cholesterol, so there is no need to avoid them. In fact, if you just eat the egg white you are missing out on a lot. All the vitamins and minerals and half the protein are in the yolk. That's why the whites taste so bland because there is practically nothing in them. They are empty calories essentially.

I eat oatmeal practically every day. Its good for you. Supposedly it helps lower your bad cholesterol, but I don't really know about that. Just make sure you are eating real oatmeal (rolled oats) and not the pre-packaged instant stuff that is loaded with sugar.

Quote:
Eating right is just as important as working out.
Actually eating right is MORE important than working out. Ever hear sayings like "a diet is 90% eating right and 10% exercise" or "abs are built in the kitchen and not the gym." They are correct. Its easy to see why too. A 16 oz Coke has about 300 calories. Exercising for an hour burns about 300 calories. Which is easier to do? Exercise for an hour or just not drinking the Coke? Typically you can avoid far more calories by eating right than you could ever hope to burn through exercise. People tend to overestimate just how many calories exercise actually burns. Exercise is good for making your body, heart and lungs stronger, but its not some big miracle calorie burner that a lot of people think.

As for doing weights every day, only do that if you workout different muscle groups each day, like doing legs one day and arms the next. Muscles take more than 24 hours to rebuild so working out the same muscle group every day is counterproductive.
Old 05-08-12, 10:53 PM   #574
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
As for doing weights every day, only do that if you workout different muscle groups each day, like doing legs one day and arms the next. Muscles take more than 24 hours to rebuild so working out the same muscle group every day is counterproductive.
I did both today, not really knowing since this was my first time in a long time, but I'll keep that in mind then. I'll take tomorrow off then switch days.

I think I got a lot of stuff down, and it seems to be easier to stick to it this time around. I won't weight myself until next week and see where I am.

Old 05-08-12, 11:15 PM   #575
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Eggs are a super food. And do whole eggs. I often have eggs for breakfast and dinner.

http://www.prevention.com/print/27166

It's really hard to find a food better than the egg. Throw in how cheap they are, easy to cook and the number of things you can do with them, and you got a winner

Home Theater Build