Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-26-11, 11:20 PM   #1
Abelkems
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YART: So, at what point does religion become mental instability?

OK, I can't find my remote, so my TV is currently stuck on the 700 Club, and watching it, the only conclusion I can reach about this show is that these people are obviously insane. I realize there are extremists for every belief (very often, in our society, Islam tends to be the scapegoat (I even had my daughter come home asking why her teacher said all Muslims are terrorists)). The U.S. has the Fred Phelps group, and then we have these wonderful Christians...

Is there a definitive line between devout and bat-shit crazy?
Old 12-26-11, 11:27 PM   #2
RoadToPerdition

Re: YART: So, at what point does religion become mental instability?

I've always been curious of this myself. I don't have an answer, but I've wondered how hearing God's voice is not considered mental illness but hearing a voice other than God's is.
Old 12-26-11, 11:33 PM   #3
Abelkems
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
I've always been curious of this myself. I don't have an answer, but I've wondered how hearing God's voice is not considered mental illness but hearing a voice other than God's is.
I have a (very ex-religious) friend who was committed for several weeks for claiming to hear God's voice. After much medication and a change of opinion, he was released, so apparently, even the professionals are still out on the subject.
Old 12-26-11, 11:36 PM   #4
RoadToPerdition

Well, I suppose it depends on the context of what God says. Was your friend being ordered to do unethical/illegal things by God's voice?
Old 12-26-11, 11:42 PM   #5
Abelkems
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't really know those details. He just said their tune changed when he said he could communicate with God. I know he was gone for almost three weeks.
Old 12-26-11, 11:48 PM   #6
Superboy
Suspended

This is why it's very important for religion and the state to stay very far away from each other, and yet, why the state must also protect religious freedom.
Old 12-26-11, 11:53 PM   #7
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Crazy people come in so many different shapes and sizes, should it be any wonder when a large portion of people are also religious that some of that group will also include some crazies?

Plus, I think there is attention for this kind of crazy, similar to the people who have been probed in alien spacecraft.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 12-27-11, 12:07 AM   #8
Superboy
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Crazy people come in so many different shapes and sizes, should it be any wonder when a large portion of people are also religious that some of that group will also include some crazies?

Plus, I think there is attention for this kind of crazy, similar to the people who have been probed in alien spacecraft.
I wouldn't put these people in the same category as someone with genuine mental illness - they're having perfectly legitimate (as in well-documented and well-understood) human experiences that are being shaped by the cultural background.

It's interesting that you mention alien abduction - most people who have claimed to experience it are actually found to have traumatic, abusive histories, and the UFO hysteria is what shapes their post-traumatic stress-related delusions. It used to be the case, before the 1950s, even as recent as 100 years ago, that trauma victims claimed to have been visited by demons or angels. In fact, the narratives are so alike as to be almost indistinguishable other than the labels of "alien" and "demon".
Old 12-27-11, 12:09 AM   #9
Superboy
Suspended

Quote:
I know people with bipolar disorder who go to Pentecostal churches when they're having manic episodes, so they can channel all that energy and focus their delusions so that they don't harm themselves. It's really bad for the believers, though, because they think they're witnessing a genuine miracle, instead of someone who is using their church as a stress egg.
Old 12-27-11, 02:03 AM   #10
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelkems View Post
I have a (very ex-religious) friend who was committed for several weeks for claiming to hear God's voice. After much medication and a change of opinion, he was released, so apparently, even the professionals are still out on the subject.
100+ years ago, your friend would have been a saint.
Old 12-27-11, 06:29 AM   #11
Artman
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think what your seeing with the 700 club, etc are people trying to make sales. I've never watched, so I have no idea what's on, but I think I can safely say none of it's good.

I come from a non-denominational background, where we also take a negative view of religion and religious people. (especially those claiming our own faith)
Old 12-27-11, 07:42 AM   #12
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

I think snake handlers are probably at least a little nuts.
Old 12-27-11, 06:55 PM   #13
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
It's interesting that you mention alien abduction - most people who have claimed to experience it are actually found to have traumatic, abusive histories, and the UFO hysteria is what shapes their post-traumatic stress-related delusions. It used to be the case, before the 1950s, even as recent as 100 years ago, that trauma victims claimed to have been visited by demons or angels. In fact, the narratives are so alike as to be almost indistinguishable other than the labels of "alien" and "demon".
Aliens are just like DVDTalk, and people in general, they don't care about the mundane and the normal. That's why they abduct the people with traumatic, abusive histories. More exciting stories, graphic drama, rape, things like that.
Old 12-27-11, 07:14 PM   #14
dvdjunkie32
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
I find it offensive to suggest that Christians are mentally ill. Listen to Brian Head Welch's, former lead Korn guitarist, testimony. God spoke to him and he immediately quit crystal meth cold turkey. That is a miracle. Meth addicts don't just quit over night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5WYigZHME

Besides God can speak to a Christian in many ways like through scripture. Brian talks about this as well.
Old 12-27-11, 07:36 PM   #15
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, many meth addicts have quit over night. It's not a miracle.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 12-27-11, 07:38 PM   #16
RoadToPerdition

Yeah, I'm not sure if dvdjunkie32 was being serious, Deftones. "Head" seems pretty mentally unstable in that video...
Old 12-27-11, 07:50 PM   #17
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero

We shouldn't focus on RELIGION. It's the person who's the fucking mental case, who's holding that holy book from one country or another.

And whether or not a person quits meth in 24hrs is a miracle or not, is not up to me to decide.

Theoretically, the best way is immediate stopping of use. However, considering how many are on meth, who WANT to get off meth but aren't, and those who ARE actually off of it...taking those statistics I'd say it was a form of willpower and something else. Because most people who are on meth...are still on it. Brian from Korn had willpower and who am I to say he didn't have a connection with a higher power. So, while it may not be a miracle per se, I'd say it was miraculous, meaning it was rather extraordinary.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-27-11, 07:52 PM   #18
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I think all religious people are delusional and at least a little nutty. And many are indeed "bat-shit crazy".
Old 12-27-11, 07:57 PM   #19
Josh-da-man
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelkems View Post
Is there a definitive line between devout and bat-shit crazy?
Grown people with an all-powerful, imaginary friend from a book of bronze age fairy tales who watches out for them and will send people they don't like to a place of eternal torment after they die?

Sounds perfectly rational to me.
"Two guys in a bathroom stall ó it feels like the most important place in the whole world in that moment. I've actually gone into bathroom stalls with friends since I quit, just so I still have a little bit of that bonding." - Lars Ulrich

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-28-11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-27-11, 08:02 PM   #20
NORML54601
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-27-11, 08:29 PM   #21
Nick Danger
DVD Talk Legend

Does the religion in question require everyone to wear black sneakers, get castrated, and commit suicide when a comet passes by the Earth?
Old 12-27-11, 08:32 PM   #22
Sean O'Hara
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you believe in God?

If you answer, "yes" and you're older than five, you suffer from a mental disorder.
Old 12-27-11, 08:35 PM   #23
Superboy
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Personally, I think all religious people are delusional and at least a little nutty. And many are indeed "bat-shit crazy".
batshit crazy here, and I disagree.
Old 12-27-11, 08:38 PM   #24
cultshock
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Grown people with an all-powerful, imaginary friend from a book of bronze age fairy tales who watches out of them and will send people they don't like to a place of eternal torment after they die?

Sounds perfectly rational to me.
That about sums it up.
Old 12-27-11, 08:43 PM   #25
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Do you believe in God?

If you answer, "yes" and you're older than five, you suffer from a mental disorder.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Sponsored Links